Final Fantasy XIII-2 Announced. Coming out 2011 in Japan

[quote name='panzerfaust']Famitsu gave XIII a 39/40, soooo....[/QUOTE]

I thought I read that Famitsu gave it a perfect score but regardless, they've been giving out high scores rather generously for years now... it doesn't mean as much as it used to. OPM gave the game a 8/10, and they hand out high scores to pretty much anything so I'm guessing the reviews for this game will be as split as XIII's was.

EDIT* Most news sites are reporting that the game did indeed get a 40.

Last edited by a moderator:
The JPN PSN store has DLC up including the Omega battle as well as costumes for Sera and Noel.

So...this means I can wait for a long time before dropping money on this. So sick of pre-release DLC nonsense.

Well I want the LE edition, just because this seems like it'll be a good game and I like having LE/CE for good games.

But myke, are the DLC free, or they cost $? I guess you could wait till the game hits $40 or something, and if the DLC is $2 or even $10 you still cocme out on top. At least more on top of the rest of us early adopters.

[quote name='IRHari']Well I want the LE edition, just because this seems like it'll be a good game and I like having LE/CE for good games.

But myke, are the DLC free, or they cost $? I guess you could wait till the game hits $40 or something, and if the DLC is $2 or even $10 you still cocme out on top. At least more on top of the rest of us early adopters.[/QUOTE]

Each of the three DLC is ¥300 right now, so it *could* get expensive quick.

I'll either (1) wait for an all-in-one discount DLC pack (as is becoming more common), (2) wait for the DLC-inclusive greatest/platinum hits version, or (3) just not get the DLC at all.

I bought the Saints Row The Third Season Pass thinking it included all DLC, and to find out it's not even close, I'm fucking furious with this generation of software. Unlock codes, preorder bonuses, and pre-release DLC can all suck a dick. FFXIII-2 is my first attempt to tell them to fuck right off.

Ah see I thought the DLC like the Omega DLC was just early access to the monster, it's sounding more like it won't be available unless you download the DLC. Ah well.

I'm with you on some DLC though. I waited it out on LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption, managed to nab BOTH the Complete/GOTY editions for $20 each. Never buying a vanilla version of a Rockstar game again.

Am I the only one that finds it odd that, given how good the game looks, that the moogle doesn't have a shadow?

[quote name='mykevermin']Each of the three DLC is ¥300 right now, so it *could* get expensive quick.

I'll either (1) wait for an all-in-one discount DLC pack (as is becoming more common), (2) wait for the DLC-inclusive greatest/platinum hits version, or (3) just not get the DLC at all.

I bought the Saints Row The Third Season Pass thinking it included all DLC, and to find out it's not even close, I'm fucking furious with this generation of software. Unlock codes, preorder bonuses, and pre-release DLC can all suck a dick. FFXIII-2 is my first attempt to tell them to fuck right off.[/QUOTE]

Too bad most people never realized this until it was too late... now developers can and will milk the hell out of games. Luckily for me, I never cared to play most games beyond what's on the disc because I'm pretty much against the digital format for games (and related content).

Am I the only one that finds it odd that, given how good the game looks, that the moogle doesn't have a shadow?
I think the game looks noticeably worse than XIII did, especially the environments. I guess that's a trade off though for making the game more open, or maybe Pulse just isn't as cool as the places inside Cocoon.

Also not a fan of the huge text everywhere proclaiming miniscule occurrences.

PICKED UP 1 TUFT OF PHOENIX DOWN!

[quote name='panzerfaust']I think the game looks noticeably worse than XIII did, especially the environments. I guess that's a trade off though for making the game more open, or maybe Pulse just isn't as cool as the places inside Cocoon.

PICKED UP 1 TUFT OF PHOENIX DOWN![/QUOTE]

Or, maybe it is pared down for a demo. Hard to say.

I played it, and as someone who hasn't played XIII yet, I was a little lost. Not really very noob friendly, but I guess that should be expected. I probably should play XIII a bit to see if I'll like it overall.

The problem I'm having is that I might want the CE for the soundtrack, since such soundtracks are tough enough to find over here.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I think the game looks noticeably worse than XIII did, especially the environments. I guess that's a trade off though for making the game more open, or maybe Pulse just isn't as cool as the places inside Cocoon.

There's definitely a trade off, yeah but I think it was for the better... environments and characters look more natural, and not as static as those in FFXIII.

And I'm not sure what to think of the demo. FFXIII at least had the benefit of being the first HD FF game so I was able to overlook somethings but that's no longer the case here.

Aye I'd say XIII-2 is a service to fans, not a desperate attempt to make new ones as the media and message boards like to portray it. Pulse would naturally be a world to explore in a more non-linear fashion, as opposed to being tied to a ghastly fate and ducking your head through cities and detours while guards patrolled around you. I just hope the game is capable of some really beautiful scenery, because that drew me into XIII's world in a big way. It looks acceptable, and good by any standard, for sure -- but I never got the urge to pan the camera in the demo.

The demo wasn't too beginner friendly with the battle system, maybe the full game will be, who knows? What's really cool about this battle system that I've noticed now, is you really need to have a feel for it to use it effectively. It's reflexive and dynamic, and not really about jumping in and choosing the blizzara spell to kill a fire foe. I've put ~100 hours into XIII and this took me a good sum of time before my mind started to remember the nuances of the battles and how to be good at the game.

I was really pleased with Sarah and Noel in the demo. I'm not sure about you guys, but I thought they were going to be hell to listen to when I saw the trailers, but really they seem pretty down to earth here. Although my biggest gripe -- and it's personal, not really a flaw of the game's concept -- but I'm really going to miss meeting and incorporating a variety of colorful personalities into my party. Meeting the crazy characters of any FF game is a big part of the experience, and I'm not sure how far Sarah, Noel, a few short cameos and their collection of pokemon will hold through for me.

And I really thought XIII ended perfectly kind of like how X did -- oh well.

The problem I'm having is that I might want the CE for the soundtrack, since such soundtracks are tough enough to find over here.

I liked what I heard in the demo a lot, and think the soundtrack is definitely worth the CE purchase even if it ends up only half as good as the first game's OST. Square also sells the soundtracks to each of their games on their store for $30 a pop. I'm not sure of your situation, but there's always that -- or iTunes. Best recommendation is to play the original game which is on the cheap, and pick up XIII-2 at a lower price as well when you're finished. I think you'll be lost on more than the battle system if you just jump in out of the blue here. Though it looks like it will stand on its own as a monster collecting RPG quite well, regardless. Or maybe it won't -- I'll have that review up shortly after release :D

The Crystogen has choice compared to the Crystarium. While it's not much choice, it's still somewhat appreciated. I also imagine that, by the end you'll have everything and maxed out as well. That's really one thing I like about JRPG's over WRPG's (like Skyrim for example) where your reward for grinding to the top is everything, as it should be.

Framerate and Graphics aside, it seems like there's effort here to make it look like a Final Fantasy game.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The demo was shit as expected. How is this shit fun to anyone?[/QUOTE]I'd say the demo is better than every game released last year, but I love FFXIII too much.

[quote name='IRHari']Since when has the unit of phoenix down been a 'tuft'? I just remember in FF7 and 8 you 'got a phoenix down'.[/QUOTE]

Hmpf... back in my day, it was called a Fenix Down.;)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'd say the demo is better than every game released last year, but I love FFXIII too much.[/QUOTE]

I think you must have some sort of mental disorder, but I'll leave it at that. :lol:

[quote name='IRHari']Since when has the unit of phoenix down been a 'tuft'? I just remember in FF7 and 8 you 'got a phoenix down'.[/QUOTE]

I've heard it before, I know I have. Maybe in XII.

Ohhhh that actually makes sense.

This is one of the many games I'm buying without playing the demo and hoping that I like. Did it with LA Noire and loved it. Same with Enslaved (though I bought both of em on the cheap).

I heard it is because final fantasy 13-2 for the xbox 360 only comes with 1 disc instead of the 3 like the original. SquareEnix also made the CGI all game engine based instead of the high fidelity CGI cutscenes in the original. Since the original high fidelity CGI cutscenes took up tons of data which required more discs for the xbox 360. It also made it possible so DLC character skins would show up in cutscenes.

I also have a question of my own regarding final fantasy 13-2 after doing some research on the game from the Japanese release. It is sorta related to the ending, so I put in spoiler tags.
I have read the ending is not really an ending at all, since it says "to be continued" at the end of the game no matter which ending you get. Some are speculating there might be a final fantasy 13-3, or a Epilogue sort of paid DLC along the lines of Prince of Persia 2008. If it is the latter, I will be pissed since that is basically asking the fans to pay for the ending. I hated it when ubisoft pulled that stunt with Prince of Persia 2008.

EDIT: I found my answer, I guess lots of people will be ticked off by SE once they finish the game.

so anyway, i just started playing the demo. i got up to the big boss fight after meeting with the chocobo lady selling goods. once the battle started, the boss smacked me once and im dead. tried again. dead again. turned the game off. is there a way to beat him?

[quote name='trunks982']so anyway, i just started playing the demo. i got up to the big boss fight after meeting with the chocobo lady selling goods. once the battle started, the boss smacked me once and im dead. tried again. dead again. turned the game off. is there a way to beat him?[/QUOTE]

Are you switching paradigms? Your Sentinels should soak a lot of the damage, switch to them when you see he's about to smack you.

[quote name='trunks982']so anyway, i just started playing the demo. i got up to the big boss fight after meeting with the chocobo lady selling goods. once the battle started, the boss smacked me once and im dead. tried again. dead again. turned the game off. is there a way to beat him?[/QUOTE]

My wife is playing the demo as I type, so I don't know the exact details, but there's something you can do to make the boss easier.
Did you resolve the Paradox (it's a mini-game) that lets you toggle a machine to weaken it?

Same problem for me, even with him weakened. switching to sentinel in a timely fashion helps, but I still couldn't beat him after a couple dozen tries.

[quote name='trunks982']so anyway, i just started playing the demo. i got up to the big boss fight after meeting with the chocobo lady selling goods. once the battle started, the boss smacked me once and im dead. tried again. dead again. turned the game off. is there a way to beat him?[/QUOTE] I didn't have to switch to sentinel once. Did you use your points and level up your characters?

[quote name='surak']My wife is playing the demo as I type, so I don't know the exact details, but there's something you can do to make the boss easier.
Did you resolve the Paradox (it's a mini-game) that lets you toggle a machine to weaken it?
[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure this is what you're expected to do to win. Not sure how you could miss it if you've been paying attention.

I'm late to the party and just started playing the game on Black Friday. Right now I'm 30 hours in and just hit Chapter 11 which I hear is a real long chapter. I have less than 2 weeks to try and beat the game before XIII-2 comes out. Is it feasible? I haven't rushed up to this point and just taking my time.

Would you guys just beat it when you beat it even if it means you start XIII-2 two weeks later than everyone? Would you rush to beat it? Or would you get as far as you can by taking your time, finish up the storyline through Wikipedia and YouTube, and take a break from it to play XIII-2? And then go back to complete it after you beat XIII-2?

[quote name='Kendro']I'm late to the party and just started playing the game on Black Friday. Right now I'm 30 hours in and just hit Chapter 11 which I hear is a real long chapter. I have less than 2 weeks to try and beat the game before XIII-2 comes out. Is it feasible? I haven't rushed up to this point and just taking my time.

Would you guys just beat it when you beat it even if it means you start XIII-2 two weeks later than everyone? Would you rush to beat it? Or would you get as far as you can by taking your time, finish up the storyline through Wikipedia and YouTube, and take a break from it to play XIII-2? And then go back to complete it after you beat XIII-2?[/QUOTE]
Complete FF13 to get it out of the way, the battle system in 13-2 will be an improvement and somewhat evolutionary, so enjoy it in it's glory rather than going back and tainting the 13 experience with a lesser battle system.

Well the monsters do add a notable difference. For one they have a pre-set and permanent role (reaver, sentinel, commando etc..."), so you'll want to use certain creatures for whatever paradigm you want to set up. And then they also give a bonus effect to your party like faster chaining. Throw in the special overdrive attacks, and you have reason enough to want to go and collect a lot of different types. Each monster will also have it's own crystarium that you can only expand through collecting certain parts.

So 3 members and the same thing XIII had, so yes, same in that regard. Also worth mentioning, at least from the demo, is the ability to specialize paradigms under certain approaches. There's the regular setting where the roles operate how they did in XIII, but now there's also the spread option where the party focuses on multiple targets, and then the cross option where they all focus on one. Not sure if it will make a huge difference, only the full game will tell how much use people make of the additional A.I. settings. I feel like this might solve issue in XIII where you have 3 Commandos attacking separate targets, when you really wanted them to focus simply on the staggered one.

There's wounding now too, I guess. So healing is less effective on a wounded member unless you heal the wound first via items or what have you.

It is pretty much the same when operating it, it's just now there's more to fool around with before hand. Hard to say if it will be better or worse at this point. The system was solid in XIII, it was just some encounters early on that really didn't take advantage of that system, and as a result felt a bit slow and tedious. I did feel some of that in the XIII-2 demo, but I guess Square will always make their RPGs like this.

[quote name='Kendro']I'm late to the party and just started playing the game on Black Friday. Right now I'm 30 hours in and just hit Chapter 11 which I hear is a real long chapter. I have less than 2 weeks to try and beat the game before XIII-2 comes out. Is it feasible? I haven't rushed up to this point and just taking my time.

Would you guys just beat it when you beat it even if it means you start XIII-2 two weeks later than everyone? Would you rush to beat it? Or would you get as far as you can by taking your time, finish up the storyline through Wikipedia and YouTube, and take a break from it to play XIII-2? And then go back to complete it after you beat XIII-2?[/QUOTE]

Just beat it on your own time. Is there something with starting it 2 weeks after release?

Yeah, and XIII-2 will be half-price a month after release, so there's that. Finish the game, and don't spoil it for yourself.

And if you're 30 hours in, you have 15 more to go. It's a linear game, so there's not much disparity between people's play times :lol:

So I remember in the first you could set up multiple paradigms. For each paradigm, can you assign a different creature instead of a person?

Like COM/RAV/Creature1(RAV) would be one paradigm.
And COM/COM/Creature2(COM) would be another? Is that how it works?

[quote name='whoknows']Just beat it on your own time. Is there something with starting it 2 weeks after release?[/QUOTE]

Not really. Just won't have the luxury of talking about the game with others. Playing through Final Fantasy XIII two years later, I find myself having to read up on old threads to see other gamers' thoughts.

[quote name='IRHari']So I remember in the first you could set up multiple paradigms. For each paradigm, can you assign a different creature instead of a person?

Like COM/RAV/Creature1(RAV) would be one paradigm.
And COM/COM/Creature2(COM) would be another? Is that how it works?[/QUOTE]
Yes. After collecting monsters you can assign 3 to the Paradigm Pack, which then can be assigned to whatever Paradigm you want them in. Can have biological and mechanical monsters, there are some pretty nifty ones in the demo to catch. I caught an Urdimmu and a Pulsework Soldier which were pretty cool, the Soldier was a Sentinel and the Urdimmu was Commando. There is a Cait Sith that is a Medic and the rest I caught were Ravagers. I'm digging the monster aspect quite a bit.

[quote name='Kendro']Not really. Just won't have the luxury of talking about the game with others. Playing through Final Fantasy XIII two years later, I find myself having to read up on old threads to see other gamers' thoughts.[/QUOTE]

FF threads are rarely worth delving into.

[quote name='panzerfaust']FF threads are rarely worth delving into.[/QUOTE]

There certainly have been a lot of thoughts posted about the game the last couple of years.

I have decided not to preorder XIII-2. The temptation to get the soundtrack is tempered by Game Informer saying the soundtrack sucks. Given all the games I do have (and knowing that Xenoblade Chronicles and Ni No Kuni are must buys this year), I probably can afford to wait it out and see if I can get the SE at a discount.

I'd agree about some of the vocal tracks sounding off and cheesy, it's like they were written by foreign speakers of the language -- maybe they were? It reminds me a bit of Persona, which did it much better.

It still has a lot of variety in the rest of the OST as XIII did, definitely some gems in there -- but yeah, most likely a step down in the same manner X-2 did. And that goes double for the bizarre story line they are now implementing.

[quote name='TheLongshot']There certainly have been a lot of thoughts posted about the game the last couple of years.[/QUOTE]

Certainly, it's just you have to wait quite a long it before any constructive discussion begins to form.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'd agree about some of the vocal tracks sounding off and cheesy, it's like they were written by foreign speakers of the language -- maybe they were? It reminds me a bit of Persona, which did it much better.[/quote]

Given that I watch a lot of anime, I'm kinda used to that. I agree with you that Persona does do it better. Even if I never get around to playing P4 (I'm still working on P3!), I at least have that soundtrack to listen to.

I might have liked the soundtrack to P3, if it weren't for after hearing the same damn songs for 100+ hours made me grow tired of it.

Certainly, it's just you have to wait quite a long it before any constructive discussion begins to form.

If it ever does. I've just come to expect that every Final Fantasy game is going to be divisive amongst the fanbase and people just need to decide for themselves. Personally, I have yet to be disappointed by a FF game, tho some are better than others.

Do you like the vocals in XIII? I'm not sure how far you are, but that was one of my favorite aspects of the soundtrack. People talk about One Winged Angel all the time, but I think you're in for a pleasant surprise towards the end =D

Slightly addicted to the demo, the monster collecting/training has me trying to get the last tameable monster in the demo, the Stalker Dendrobium. For what I don't know, it does create save data that writes over it's self. I do have all but the Cait Sith and the Dendrobium maxed out for the demo, there are some pretty awesome monsters for partner choices, I'm liking them lots so far. Have yet to try out Infusion.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Do you like the vocals in XIII? I'm not sure how far you are, but that was one of my favorite aspects of the soundtrack. People talk about One Winged Angel all the time, but I think you're in for a pleasant surprise towards the end =D[/QUOTE]

Not too far yet. I'm up to the part where Lightning declares she's going to take down the Sanctum.

The music has been enjoyable so far. Not as good as the music in Nier, but it's pretty good.

bread's done
Back