Final Fantasy XIII-2 Announced. Coming out 2011 in Japan

2 pieces of the whole OST isn't "all that needs to be said." But yeah, those are awful.

I can let the chocobo one pass as a humor, but my god the other one...

Did anyone preorder the UK Crystal Edition get a cancelled order email? I preordered it at HMV and got the notice today... not sure if I should be PO'd at them or not since I placed my order very early but apparently, it's in such limited quantities that they had to cancel my order... I'm kinda pissed that they couldn't figure this out earlier.:roll:

Got the Collectors Edition pre-ordered with release date delivery from Amazon, also hoping Omega doesn't suck but I liked the demo enough that I'm willing to take the chance. I like the combat system much better than 13, I really need to finish that game off but there is so many grinding elements to it that make it so addictive.

Gameinformer said that XIII-3 is inevitable because even XIII-2 has a big 'to be continued' no matter what ending you get.

We'll see what happens, guess I'll still pre-order the collectors edition for now.

[quote name='IRHari']Gameinformer said that XIII-3 is inevitable because even XIII-2 has a big 'to be continued' no matter what ending you get.

We'll see what happens, guess I'll still pre-order the collectors edition for now.[/QUOTE]
I think it's "to be continued" in all of the DLC they have planned.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm not so sure if it is inevitable anymore due to the crap (by FF standards) sales in Japan. I guess we'll see how it does in the West.[/QUOTE]

The game's probably sold enough to turn a profit... and I doubt it cost anywhere near as much as the original. Even if sales were bad, I doubt it would really change things though since FF name basically guarantees it'll outsell any other JRPG outside of Dragon Quest.

It's also entirely possible that the game ties into Versus, which would be an interesting twist now that they're dicking around with space and time continuums like Star Trek Gone Wild.

The IGN review is up and got an 8.0 which is about what I expected.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1217386p1.html

To anyone that read the review, could you let me know if it contains any storyline spoilers for Final Fantasy XIII since I still didn't beat the game yet? I am interested in reading the review but don't want to ruin FFXIII since I'm still on Chapter 11. I do know that Serah is a main character though since she's in all the screenshots and promotional material.

[quote name='Kendro']The IGN review is up and got an 8.0 which is about what I expected.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1217386p1.html

To anyone that read the review, could you let me know if it contains any storyline spoilers for Final Fantasy XIII since I still didn't beat the game yet? I am interested in reading the review but don't want to ruin FFXIII since I'm still on Chapter 11. I do know that Serah is a main character though since she's in all the screenshots and promotional material.[/QUOTE]
The review is spoiler free and spot on from what I've played of the demo. I know there is some narration lost given how the demo plays, I'm actually kind of grateful because the narration was very bleak and god awful emo.

I'm not sure I'm going to buy this one. I was so disillusioned by 13 that even thinking of a 13-2 makes me mentally groan. Then the fact that monster collection is there doesn't help either.

[quote name='Mad39er']The review is spoiler free and spot on from what I've played of the demo. I know there is some narration lost given how the demo plays, I'm actually kind of grateful because the narration was very bleak and god awful emo.[/QUOTE]

The lost narration is probably because squareEnix is going to DLC out the story like the missing chapters from AssCreed 2 or like the "to be continued" ending in Prince of Persia 2008, where ubisoft charged $10 for the epilogue. I'm considering of canceling my pre-order right now due to the cliffhanger ending plus the fact they are charging to use lightning as a playable character.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/72158/report-final-fantasy-xiii-2-getting-lightning-as-dlc

[quote name='htz']The lost narration is probably because squareEnix is going to DLC out the story like the missing chapters from AssCreed 2 or like the "to be continued" ending in Prince of Persia 2008, where ubisoft charged $10 for the epilogue. I'm considering of canceling my pre-order right now due to the cliffhanger ending plus the fact they are charging to use lightning as a playable character.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/72158/report-final-fantasy-xiii-2-getting-lightning-as-dlc[/QUOTE]

"Square Enix also reportedly plans to release story episodes for Lightning. This is part of a plan to expand the plot in a variety of ways, including novelizations.

LOL Ok... I think I'm cancelling my pre-order. I was excited for this game during all the early pre-release talks since it was supposed to take the good from FXIII and fix user complaints but it now seems like SE's real (and only) plan is turning this into a mentally challenged cow that they plan to milk in any way possible.

I'll pick it up later of course, when it's cheaper.

[quote name='Predator21281']Wait, so you can't play as Lightning? That's the only reason I even wanted this game.[/QUOTE]
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/619315-final-fantasy-xiii-2/61440778

I'm not sure if that guy is trolling but it sounds legit... All we see lightning in xiii-2 doing are those live action QTEs from the trailers.

[quote name='Vinny']LOL Ok... I think I'm cancelling my pre-order. I was excited for this game during all the early pre-release talks since it was supposed to take the good from FXIII and fix user complaints but it now seems like SE's real (and only) plan is turning this into a mentally challenged cow that they plan to milk in any way possible.

I'll pick it up later of course, when it's cheaper.[/QUOTE]

I just went ahead and canceled my pre-order after giving it some thought. Going to only buy the hardcover guidebook for now and pickup the game maybe around the summer when it drops in price.
An interview also reveals players will be able to get an episode with a new storyline focused on Lightning that reveals the hidden truth behind the game’s endings. -http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/24/report-lightning-dlc-scenario-coming-to-final-fantasy-xiii-2/
Based on that article it seems SE is going the prince of persia 2008 route, making us pay for the true ending.

Sidenote: CE unboxing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCKRGwkH6_Q

Last edited by a moderator:
The video quality is much better from the Square-Enix site but there is a virus warning that pops up. Avast caught it and I just watched the videos in their mp4 format. OMG does the Battle in Valhalla look awesome. See the YouTube link below for a safer version at lesser quality to watch. I may put the video in my dropbox for later linking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ZZfjAEO9s

Not so excited about the CE as mush as before. Sort of wished the artbook was not bound to the CE case. Nevertheless, it's a decent deal since you also get the soundtrack which is why I was interested in the first place

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Not so excited about the CE as mush as before. Sort of wished the artbook was not bound to the CE case. Nevertheless, it's a decent deal since you also get the soundtrack which is why I was interested in the first place[/QUOTE]
Same I just cancelled CE and went with SE...the soundtrack isn't getting good reviews anyway

really on the fence with this I just platted the XIII this afternoon *shakes fist at superstar trophy* it will inevitably get an "ultimate collection* with all the DLC for most likely the cost of just DLC in a year. I have it preordered and I have a huge backlog but I really want to see what happens.

[quote name='bjstucker']really on the fence with this I just platted the XIII this afternoon *shakes fist at superstar trophy* it will inevitably get an "ultimate collection* with all the DLC for most likely the cost of just DLC in a year. I have it preordered and I have a huge backlog but I really want to see what happens.[/QUOTE]
The superstar trophy was actually pretty easy. Did it on my first playthrough and first try in 2 minutes thanks to the video below.

Square Enix is planning ahead for the day the company releases Final Fantasy XIII-3, as it appears the company has just registered the domain name finalfantasyxiii-3.com through Corporation Service Company (CSC), a corporate domain registrar that provides trademark services. Square Enix and its gaming companies have used CSC for other game domain purchases such as HeroesofRuin.com and Deusex.com.
According to Whois records, finalfantasyxiii-3.com was registered on September 7, 2011.
But if the purchase is more than just part of the company’s intellectual property strategy, it’ll be awhile before anything is seen.
Square Enix is expected to release Final Fantasy XIII-2, the direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII, in January 2012 — nearly a year and a half after finalfantasyxiii-2.com was registered and 2 years after talk of a sequel began.
-http://fusible.com/2011/09/square-enix-registers-final-fantasy-xiii-3-domain-xiii-2-due-to-release-in-2012/

Looks like xiii-3 could be a possibility...

[quote name='htz']The superstar trophy was actually pretty easy. Did it on my first playthrough and first try in 2 minutes thanks to the video below.

[/QUOTE]
yea I figured it out switched between Superiority and Infiltrator. 2min is too long I had to do it in 50 sec's as the higher your character the less time you have to beat last form and I was maxed.:cry:

back on topic does anyone know if there will be a midnight release for this? Specifically at gamestop?

I really really wish Amazon would update and notify me of my CE being shipped, considering it's my first try with RDD. It's kind of nerve wracking since I'm tempted to wait for the delivery, if it's even coming.

So it seems like the Crystal Edition is super rare. I had a preorder with Game.co.uk that I forgot about and was only reminded of it because I received a "pre-order could not be fulfilled" email today.

I'm still holding out hope that my cousin in the UK can snag me a steelbook.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Same varying range of review scores as XIII received, I suppose that's a good thing.[/QUOTE]

But it seems like the criticism are for different things. The main complaint with FFXIII was the linearity. With this game, I'm seeing a many different things... Some are calling the open world bland, some are saying the story/characters are border line idiotic, and some are saying it feels like random gameplay elements were weaved together into am incoherent game.

[quote name='retro.elite']No video of Best Buy exclusive Episode I Novella? If the book is like in this video except hard covered, I'll just cancel my best buy pre-order. [/QUOTE]

I mentioned this in the deals thread. The book is the size of a bluray case and is packaged/sleeved with the game. The book is a hard cover but I haven't opened it as I'm trying to decide what to do with it.

The Novella seems to be underwhelming so I'm leaning towards returning it. I would just expect that it's smaller than in the above video as it seems to be a DVD sized case and is a softcover.

[quote name='bob330i']I mentioned this in the deals thread. The book is the size of a bluray case and is packaged/sleeved with the game. The book is a hard cover but I haven't opened it as I'm trying to decide what to do with it.

The Novella seems to be underwhelming so I'm leaning towards returning it. I would just expect that it's smaller than in the above video as it seems to be a DVD sized case and is a softcover.[/QUOTE]

I haven't picked up my Best Buy pre-order yet. If it's really underwhelming, I'll stick with my EB pre-order.

I read the novella on the bus back home. Small, ~30 pages, a good read, but yeah -- pretty underwhelming. I like the collector's edition box, the art pages are kind of lame though. Will put the soundtrack on my mp3 player soon, already heard some great stuff on the game. And by the way, that awful rap environment theme is only in the Japanese version of the game :applause:

Few hours into the game, everything is better than expected so far. Battles are much faster, rarely any beefy guys that are annoying anymore.

Noel reminds me of Tom Cruise.

Though I bought Greatest Hits FFXIII, never played it but watch all the videos to understand what's going on. Sure glad I did!

Played through ~2 hours of FFXIII-2 so far and actually enjoying it more than I expected. And I'm not sure why people poo-poo the music so much. I've enjoyed everything I've heard in game sound thus far (no new Chocobo theme...yet..) and look forward to listening to the CD soundtrack.

One thing I don't understand...
Why does Sarah pine for Lightning so much and barely mention Snow even though both are missing? I mean, he's her husband! I guess/hope the details will become clearer as the game progresses. Otherwise, that girl has an unhealthy fixation on her sister...

[quote name='Ecofreak']Though I bought Greatest Hits FFXIII, never played it but watch all the videos to understand what's going on. Sure glad I did!

One thing I don't understand...
Why does Sarah pine for Lightning so much and barely mention Snow even though both are missing? I mean, he's her husband! I guess/hope the details will become clearer as the game progresses. Otherwise, that girl has an unhealthy fixation on her sister...
[/QUOTE]

Snow told her he was leaving, so that seemed like a decision they both agreed on. Her sister is who is involved in her visions, which conflicts with everyone else saying Lightning is dead, so this probably troubles her more since it not only involves her sister that she hasn't gotten a chance to reconcile with, but also concerns the health of her mind. A good point nonetheless, the Snow/Serah relationship never seemed very strong.

Anyways, I've read some articles that claimed how horrendous the cutscenes and dialogue were for this game. Very annoying (but fortunate) to find that untrue. I mean, people were comparing it to Star Ocean 4... Sarah and Noel sound great, lips match well, a couple corny phrases here and there that are more inline to make you smirk than to cringe. Only thing that is starting to get on my nerves is the solemn monologues from Serah and Lightning. I wish Lightning would go back to her old ways and drop the poetic shit.

Just an FYI about the OST, all the CD info is in Japanese except for the [Aggressive Mix] tag in the song title but since the CE comes with a track listing booklet it's almost mandatory.

The system has already heated up to XIII's end-game level for me which is a lot of fun now. How are you guys building your characters? I have Noel 75% commando and 25% sentinel (going to grab synergist now), and Serah 50% ravager, 25% commando, 25% saboteur.

Synergist monsters are over powered =]

[quote name='panzerfaust']The system has already heated up to XIII's end-game level for me which is a lot of fun now. How are you guys building your characters? I have Noel 75% commando and 25% sentinel (going to grab synergist now), and Serah 50% ravager, 25% commando, 25% saboteur.

Synergist monsters are over powered =][/QUOTE]

I started playing yesterday and I am loving it. As for building my characters I have been leveling them both up with ravager and commando although more ravager for Serah and more commando for Noel with some synergist for Noel and some saboteur for Serah. I only just caught a synergist monster about 10 minutes before I went to bed so I haven't noticed how overpowered they are. I'll check that out. Making sure you have poison available is very useful with
the first fight with Caius in Oerba
. I was surprised how many people had trouble with that. I found it pretty easy with the way I had leveled.

Im a Ravager with Serah and Commando with Noel.
My monster is a medic, which is awesome.

You can have both classes? the stats carry over?

The thread for this in the 360 forum is dead so I will post in here I guess.

I'm doing a split between Rav/Sen & Com mostly for both of them. Serah more with Rav (I think it is like 1-2 levels higher than Com) and Com more so with Noel. I unlocked Syn with Noel and just got Med last night with Serah.

Has anyone gone for the upgrade in accessories yet? I figured I would unlock a few different roles before going for that stat.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']The thread for this in the 360 forum is dead so I will post in here I guess.

I'm doing a split between Rav/Sen & Com mostly for both of them. Serah more with Rav (I think it is like 1-2 levels higher than Com) and Com more so with Noel. I unlocked Syn with Noel and just got Med last night with Serah.

Has anyone gone for the upgrade in accessories yet? I figured I would unlock a few different roles before going for that stat.[/QUOTE]

Not me. Once I unlocked Sab for Serah and Syn for Noel on the first expansion I concentrated on adding ATB slots in the next to expansions. I'll see what my options are next round.

A problem with the Crystarium development choices you're offered is that you can step back and logically figure out which choice is best. It's not a matter of preference at all, because there is a correct path to take.

For things like Commando and Ravager, you of course want to max your ATB asap for maximum damage. The role bonus decision will scale best later in the game when it has higher stats to work off of. And accessories aren't going to help you much until you start collecting the powerful ones -- once again a late game commodity. As for unlocking additional roles, you should really focus on one primary, focus on a secondary mid game, and then unlock a 3rd one later. Use monsters to fill in the gaps for what you don't have. It's much better than XIII's crystarium but it still feels awfully automatic.

Somehow I became over powered early on in the game and I have no clue how I managed that, because I hear other people are having trouble with some encounters. There were a few hours that I witnessed a substantial and fun challenge, but the CP just kept rolling in and Relentless Assault has 5 starred everything for me since then. I can count the number of times I've switched to a Medic paradigm on one hand.

I'm at the final encounter right now, d anwill finish the story and continue to explore the game tomorrow. The plot ended up pretty lame to my disappointment, so I think I'll just pretend it never happened like I did with X-2. Serah is a walking box of sappy monologues and Caius never came to fruition as an interesting obstacle. The game just lacks any sort of emotional punch like XIII had, and story driven bosses are almost absent from the game.

Still, seeing how Pulse has changed after the events of XIII was really cool (you guys are going to see an awesome city), and completing each area is a lot of fun. I'm sure the combat is much more engaging for people who didn't accidentally break the game like I did =p

the stats carry over?

all the stat bonuses you collect in all roles go into your character's complete stats, so yes.

[quote name='panzerfaust']A problem with the Crystarium development choices you're offered is that you can step back and logically figure out which choice is best. It's not a matter of preference at all, because there is a correct path to take.

For things like Commando and Ravager, you of course want to max your ATB asap for maximum damage. The role bonus decision will scale best later in the game when it has higher stats to work off of. And accessories aren't going to help you much until you start collecting the powerful ones -- once again a late game commodity. As for unlocking additional roles, you should really focus on one primary, focus on a secondary mid game, and then unlock a 3rd one later. Use monsters to fill in the gaps for what you don't have. It's much better than XIII's crystarium but it still feels awfully automatic.

Somehow I became over powered early on in the game and I have no clue how I managed that, because I hear other people are having trouble with some encounters. There were a few hours that I witnessed a substantial and fun challenge, but the CP just kept rolling in and Relentless Assault has 5 starred everything for me since then. I can count the number of times I've switched to a Medic paradigm on one hand.[/QUOTE]Monster hunting makes it easy to grind away at certain areas, it's worse that there are two tiers of monsters per area and you've got to revisit areas twice to get them all.

I did accidentally boost 3 classes wrong on Noel and am probably going to redo everything before I continue much further. A few things bug me about the Crystarium system, mostly that you can only boost whatever role you're currently working on for the whole class boost. It also makes no sense that Noel is a better Medic than Serah and Serah is a better Sentinel than Noel. Medic monsters also suck since there are so few of them and the Green Chocobo is a bitch to catch.

I find the Cat is a great Medic for now.
He's great for me now and the Pulse Knight is a amazing Sentinel.
Wanna get better monster. I also wanna learn how to fuse better monsters as Im clueless.
You would think being a pokemon and dragon quest expert i would know.

Took two tries to get the "elusive" albino lobo, but 15 to get the pulse knight. Actually put me a level ahead in the Crystarium than I need to be so no harm.

This game also starts my countdown to a sort of gameing ultra slowdown in about 7 1/2 months....

TWINS! Whoohooo!
Actually thinking most of the soundtrack may be good for prenatal music.

My wife is about 10 games behind me so she will never get through a lot of them.

I got the Pulse Knight the first time but next I want a Feral Behemoth and Albino ones.
I hear if you use the Feral Link Skill it helps a lot

Took ~26 hours to get through the main story of XIII-2 with minimal side questing. Looks like a plethora of extra content await me now =]

The story and characters weren't bad, but it seemed the game's biggest weakness was the Yuehl character. Everyone's motives are attached to her, but those relationships with her are hardly touched upon. And I really disliked how they once again have to ruin a perfect ending (like X-2 did), but I guess we can pretend it never happened.

Also, the ending song completely ruins the final and dramatic cutscene

[quote name='adriley313']I got the Pulse Knight the first time but next I want a Feral Behemoth and Albino ones.
I hear if you use the Feral Link Skill it helps a lot[/QUOTE]
Feral Link skills are good for catching monsters, I like to use it as a finishing move, once you get the Hyponocrown it'll really crank up the Feral Link rate and then it's time for some serious monster hunting. FWIW the Albino is worth it, feed it another lower tiered critter to get it more magic skills though. The Behemoth leaves something to be desired, it learns Launch though, so that's nice but I prefer the Svarog which is much rarer and harder to catch.

[quote name='panzerfaust']A problem with the Crystarium development choices you're offered is that you can step back and logically figure out which choice is best. It's not a matter of preference at all, because there is a correct path to take.

Somehow I became over powered early on in the game and I have no clue how I managed that, because I hear other people are having trouble with some encounters. There were a few hours that I witnessed a substantial and fun challenge, but the CP just kept rolling in and Relentless Assault has 5 starred everything for me since then. I can count the number of times I've switched to a Medic paradigm on one hand.

I'm at the final encounter right now, d anwill finish the story and continue to explore the game tomorrow. The plot ended up pretty lame to my disappointment, so I think I'll just pretend it never happened like I did with X-2. Serah is a walking box of sappy monologues and Caius never came to fruition as an interesting obstacle. The game just lacks any sort of emotional punch like XIII had, and story driven bosses are almost absent from the game.

Still, seeing how Pulse has changed after the events of XIII was really cool (you guys are going to see an awesome city), and completing each area is a lot of fun. I'm sure the combat is much more engaging for people who didn't accidentally break the game like I did =p

all the stat bonuses you collect in all roles go into your character's complete stats, so yes.[/QUOTE]

Hhuh... I guess there's my problem. I started having trouble with
the giant tomato/flan guy when you first meet Snow
. I wasn't really sure what to do, so I kind of leveled up two two classes (Rav/Com) for both Serah and Noel and unlocked medic for Serah. I guess I'll just concentrate leveling up Serah as a Rav and Noel as a Com. Hopefully I'll have better luck with that.

bread's done
Back