Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='prinnyotaku']i don't even care enough. If dumbasses want to fool themselves into this kind of thinking every time a game comes out, whatever. I'm sick of reading this ignorant crap.

Real discussion for once would be nice.[/quote]
joker.jpg

[quote name='Inf^Shini']The game did do some things that made it more bearable, like retrying battles and starting you off right out of fighting range instead of reloading an old save. Saves a lot of time and the "OH DAMN, I FORGOT TO SAVE!!!" scenario for the most part.

I also do enjoy the commands just taking ATB bars and no MP to worry about tbh, it just makes going through the game less tedious.

Some small things that'd make it better:

One thing I liked about FFX was switching out party members during fights, b/c IMO it just makes more sense. Plus, you can strategize/have fun and it would make some fights probably a lot cooler/entertaining.

An Equipment swap function would have been nice instead of un-equipping/re-equipping constantly if you're testing out certain combinations.

I would've also liked the paradigm decks to be saved with each party combination instead RE-DOING it every single time you swap out a character.[/QUOTE]

Yes, switching party members at will WITH NO PENALTY WHATSOEVER was an awesome feature.

And yes, Paradigm deck saving would've been cool, but I can't image how it would've worked.

Woo, managed to get my third Trap today. Got my Turtle killing down to a ~4 min cycle. Just wish I hadn't Mission'd the Adamantoises to extinction so that I could farm them even faster.

Is there any reason not to sell the growth egg once you max out your crystarium? That thing will bring in quite a nice chunk of change (250k).

[quote name='Inf^Shini']One thing I liked about FFX was switching out party members during fights, b/c IMO it just makes more sense. Plus, you can strategize/have fun and it would make some fights probably a lot cooler/entertaining.[/QUOTE]

I liked it too, but FFX was way too easy for that reason. Switching with no penalty. But the game in general was easier because you could take as long as you wanted to make a move because of the turn based system. ATB makes it a lot more fun.

I just beat it and am done with the game.. I really don't feel like doing any of the extras. I still don't understand why
Fang and Vanille stayed as crystals while the rest didn't, what happened to Hope's dad (they could have stuck him with Sarah and Dajh), and what's the real story behind Fang and Vanille role in all of this.

Oh well. This game was a hell of a lot better than the past few FFs... especially X and XII.

That's a simple explanation even though they avoided it.
They're not L'Cie anymore. Why did they turn to Crystal in the first place? They probably got caught in the crystal blast or something. In terms of their roles, it's all Fang's fault. She put Vanille in the elevator, which allowed Dagh to be a L'Cie. Later, she pissed off Vanille, which caused her to go give Serah an STD of some sorts.

[quote name='Vinny']I still don't understand why
Fang and Vanille stayed as crystals while the rest didn't, what happened to Hope's dad (they could have stuck him with Sarah and Dajh), and what's the real story behind Fang and Vanille role in all of this.
[/QUOTE]
They just wanted to jam self-sacrifice in somehow like most FF's have and this time it was extremely weak. I kept thinking that the ending was just a setup and they'd get out somehow after the credits, because how else could you 'continue' your game otherwise? I mean, I kind of figured something was going to happen to Vanille in the end because she kept spouting useless narrative throughout the entire story, but then I realized they just cheesed that too. Going back before the ending doesn't really feel like continuing IMO, but w/e.

[quote name='KingBroly']That's a simple explanation even though they avoided it.
They're not L'Cie anymore. Why did they turn to Crystal in the first place? They probably got caught in the crystal blast or something. In terms of their roles, it's all Fang's fault. She put Vanille in the elevator, which allowed Dagh to be a L'Cie. Later, she pissed off Vanille, which caused her to go give Serah an STD of some sorts.
[/QUOTE]

I understand what they did but
what I meant was, why did they turn to Ragnarok in the end and how did they know their that that was their part? It's almost as if they knew that's what they would have to do... like it's what Vanille hoped Fang forgot and Vanille kept running from it. I think I understand why they returned from crystal form in the first place: Orphan wanted them to because that way, they could turn to Ragnarok and destroy Orphan (since that's what Orphan wanted).

Maybe, just maybe, that's what they've been doing for many ages? They absolve Orphan's sins whenever it wants them to and then returns to crystal. Maybe what happened to Oerba was their last focus?

[quote name='Jodou']
They just wanted to jam self-sacrifice in somehow like most FF's have and this time it was extremely weak. I kept thinking that the ending was just a setup and they'd get out somehow after the credits, because how else could you 'continue' your game otherwise? I mean, I kind of figured something was going to happen to Vanille in the end because she kept spouting useless narrative throughout the entire story, but then I realized they just cheesed that too. Going back before the ending doesn't really feel like continuing IMO, but w/e.
[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. A post credits scene which would explain somethings.

I wonder if Versus will explain more...:whistle2:k

[quote name='Vinny']I understand what they did but
what I meant was, why did they turn to Ragnarok in the end and how did they know their that that was their part? It's almost as if they knew that's what they would have to do... like it's what Vanille hoped Fang forgot and Vanille kept running from it. I think I understand why they returned from crystal form in the first place: Orphan wanted them to because that way, they could turn to Ragnarok and destroy Orphan (since that's what Orphan wanted).

Maybe, just maybe, that's what they've been doing for many ages? They absolve Orphan's sins whenever it wants them to and then returns to crystal. Maybe what happened to Oerba was their last focus?

I was thinking the same thing. A post credits scene which would explain somethings.

I wonder if Versus will explain more...:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Versus isn't set in the same universe, so you aren't gonna get any explanation.

As for the turning into Ragnarok thing... they did know what they had to do, because it happened before. That was what Vanille hid from Fang, as she didn't want her to carry the burden of becoming Ragnarok again. It's not exactly explained fully but Orphan did play a part last time too, although it didn't get "killed" because Fang failed.

I took it to mean because of them failing last time, they were stronger now and... the power of "teamwork and friends" allowed them to achieve the impossible, because apparently humans have no limits. They realized that becoming Ragnarok and killing Orphan was the only way this cycle of suffering of humanity would end, so they end up sharing the burden together to ensure everyone else's happiness. It's some bullshit for sure, but what FF isn't full of shit.

It's completely fucked up how Light and the others break out of their crystals. That whole process wasn't explained well at all. There's definitely a sentient being, or ruler/maker of fal'Cie that wasn't directly in the game but was mentioned in the Analects multiple times. It'd seem like it has a hand in everything but again, it's never stated as such and the whole party seems oblivious to it all.

Also, I'm not sure anything HAPPENED in Oerba. From what I gathered it was basically fal'Cie fighting with each other and turning humans into I'Cie to go perform stupid tasks that would have resulted in death or crystalization, so what the humans did to escape the fate was just to pack up and leave for Cocoon. There wasn't a war or anything in Oerba to my knowledge, it's just been 500 years so it looks deserted. Obviously, some people stayed behind and failed their focus, which is why there are so many C'ieth there.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Versus isn't set in the same universe, so you aren't gonna get any explanation.

As for the turning into Ragnarok thing... they did know what they had to do, because it happened before. That was what Vanille hid from Fang, as she didn't want her to carry the burden of becoming Ragnarok again. It's not exactly explained fully but Orphan did play a part last time too, although it didn't get "killed" because Fang failed.

I took it to mean because of them failing last time, they were stronger now and... the power of "teamwork and friends" allowed them to achieve the impossible, because apparently humans have no limits. They realized that becoming Ragnarok and killing Orphan was the only way this cycle of suffering of humanity would end, so they end up sharing the burden together to ensure everyone else's happiness. It's some bullshit for sure, but what FF isn't full of shit.

It's completely fucked up how Light and the others break out of their crystals. That whole process wasn't explained well at all. There's definitely a sentient being, or ruler/maker of fal'Cie that wasn't directly in the game but was mentioned in the Analects multiple times. It'd seem like it has a hand in everything but again, it's never stated as such and the whole party seems oblivious to it all.

Also, I'm not sure anything HAPPENED in Oerba. From what I gathered it was basically fal'Cie fighting with each other and turning humans into I'Cie to go perform stupid tasks that would have resulted in death or crystalization, so what the humans did to escape the fate was just to pack up and leave for Cocoon. There wasn't a war or anything in Oerba to my knowledge, it's just been 500 years so it looks deserted. Obviously, some people stayed behind and failed their focus, which is why there are so many C'ieth there.
[/QUOTE]

Well, that wraps up most of the loose ends.

I didn't know Versus was a completely different game... Wiki says it's in the same series but unrelated to the events of FFXIII.

[quote name='Vinny']

I didn't know Versus was a completely different game... Wiki says it's in the same series but unrelated to the events of FFXIII.[/QUOTE]

"Final Fantasy Versus XIII takes place in a dark, gloomy unknown city ruled by a young prince named Noctis. He is fighting to defend the last remaining Crystal, the mythos that binds the Fabula Nova Crystallis compiliation."

So the only thing that binds all of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series is this theme of Crystals.

Going back to the 'toise grind... I killed about 10 last night, got about 5 ingots, 0 Traps... Grrr... I'm also short on a lot of "lesser" catalysts for accessory upgrades and yet they aren't that cheap either. Besides Scarletite which I have a ton of, can the rest be farmed somewhere? I think I need several more Perkosovite (or however that is spelled). And maybe some Uranite (or whatever ;)).

Unless someone knows of a better way, I've just been farming 'Toises for Plat Ingots to sell for the lower level catalysts. Once you get a good method going, you can kill one every 3-4 minutes no problem. Although, my good method is dependent on Fang having a maxed out Kain's Lance (from a Taming Pole).

Course, I'm definitely interested in hearing if anyone has better suggestions.

[quote name='io']Going back to the 'toise grind... I killed about 10 last night, got about 5 ingots, 0 Traps... Grrr... I'm also short on a lot of "lesser" catalysts for accessory upgrades and yet they aren't that cheap either. Besides Scarletite which I have a ton of, can the rest be farmed somewhere? I think I need several more Perkosovite (or however that is spelled). And maybe some Uranite (or whatever ;)).[/QUOTE]
Perovskite only drops off a mob you can't farm anymore. Uraninite drops from the Havoc Skytank, so you're SOL. Pretty soon you won't be cursing those ingots you get because the traps are sadly the easy part lol.

Well, I played for about 2 hours, killed countless 'toises and finally got ONE single Trap. I did the upgrade thing to dismantle Nirvana to get 3 more. But that was very expensive (around a million gil to upgrade the Nirvana all the way) and I'm thinking that as you say, Jodou, I'll regret it. I did get a few more ingots though.

I still don't get how you kill them quickly. Even with the Summon and getting them debuffed and staggered more often than not they get back up again before I kill them. It actually amazes me how often I kill them once they are back up, no buffs are sticking, and the stagger gauge is all the way down - that makes the Summon utterly useless (for that run anyway). Oh well, it only takes like 3 fights against some crowds (goblins or the cat-like things) to get back to 3 TP. And of course, all these 'toises keep giving me 80,000 CP and I gots a long ways to go to get all the character upgrades too.

Are there any differences in drop rate between the Admantoise and the Adamantortoise? The latter seems harder to kill via Death spell even though it has less HP and a much lower stagger number. However, that is where I got my one Trap. I killed many more 'toises and got very little from them.

Use Sazh as the leader with Fang and another physical damage dealer (I had Vanille in my party :p) - buff at the beginning (Bravery+Haste), summon, build stagger (2 full attack strings then cold blood til eidolon leaves), smart bomb xx debuff xx stagger xx cold blood, Cerberus, Blitz all the way.

That's my summon method. His Blitz deals out a ton of damage and make sure your strength is at least around 1200.

[quote name='io']I still don't get how you kill them quickly.[/QUOTE]
Oh man, you're in the wrong farm spot.
You need to go back to Eden, where the turtle smashed that glass platform.
That one is super easy to respawn and has a save point immediately next to him, so if he doesn't drop anything you can just reload and save a wasted run. Not only that, but the soldiers there build your TP super quick after just two battles. Make sure you're ready to super farm, because you'll likely be there for a few days and getting there takes a good 5-10 minutes.

And yeah, depending on your luck you just shot yourself in the foot because that's 1 mil lost towards the 5-6 you need to upgrade everything. Now you'll have 6 traps long before then.

[quote name='Jodou']Oh man, you're in the wrong farm spot.
You need to go back to Eden, where the turtle smashed that glass platform.
That one is super easy to respawn and has a save point immediately next to him, so if he doesn't drop anything you can just reload and save a wasted run. Not only that, but the soldiers there build your TP super quick after just two battles. Make sure you're ready to super farm, because you'll likely be there for a few days and getting there takes a good 5-10 minutes.

And yeah, depending on your luck you just shot yourself in the foot because that's 1 mil lost towards the 5-6 you need to upgrade everything. Now you'll have 6 traps long before then.[/QUOTE]

I heard someone mention going to Eden but I started doing that and it looked like a ton of backtracking. I didn't want to have to do that and then head all the way back again. I'd like to tackle a few missions in between farming so I'd prefer to stay on Gran Pulse. I don't mind running around a bit to find them. And so far I'm not into resetting because I like to keep the CP even if I get nothing. I need to get my stats up for those last few missions too.

Inf^Shini - Sounds interesting but I've never even heard of most of those skills. I use Fang/Light/Vanille and for the most part that works OK. It does seem, though, as I get stronger that I actually will soon have a chance to just outright kill the 'toises instead of relying on Death spamming - especially if I invest in upgrading my Tier 3 weapons but that requires a ton of money that won't go towards required upgrades - it seems I may need these for some of those missions though. I tried it once (pummeling him instead of using Death spamming once the Summon knocked him down) and got about 3/4 of his health gone. Once he gets back up, though, I can't do much more.

The easiest way to kill Toises, imo, is Fang --> Kain's Lance --> Highwind. I also had my Fang at over 3000 STR when all is said and done.

After buffs, I'd go RAV - RAV - RAV to quickly get a leg to stagger, then at 600% or so I'd use Highwind. One leg down. Rinse and repeat for the second leg. Heal if necessary.

Once the toise goes down, I'd use RAV - RAV - RAV to get it staggered, then switched to COM - RAV - RAV. Once I maxed out the Kain's Lance and loaded Fang down with STR accessories, I could kill the Toise without even needing a Highwind once it was downed. Oh, you'll have to drop a Genji Glove on Fang as well because you'll start dealing about 130,000 - 140,000 regular damage on the Toise once it's staggered, in my experience.

It would take me about 1:30 - 2:00 to kill a Toise, usually. The full party I'd use was Fang / Hope / Vanille. Highwind just makes the fight pathetically easy. The hardest part is just getting Fang strong enough. I wasn't even using Summons once Fang was decked out.

You don't need to max out all the paradigms to tackle the last few missions either.. the only ones you really should do ASAP are SYN / SAB for the stronger buffs and so everyone can debuff.

maxed out fang+genji gloves+3 kaiser knuckle+kains lance(taming pole)= almost 4000 strength. summon (dont go gestalt mode), debuff and then buff with bravera, stagger, hit with fang and pull out 2 ravagers, once you get it to 999.9% and the meter almost goes out just highwind. usually i don't even have to highwind as i do 300000 damage per hit haha. btw i usually use fang with hope and vanille and hope has 3 magistral crests hehe. but i guess you won't have the magistral crests and kaiser knuckles cause that requires beating a harder enemy (easier imo). But it is totally beatable in 1:30-2 min after you summon. if not then i would say 2-3 min.

I'm having a really tough time getting into this game. I'm on ch 7, I believe, and I can't even get myself to play it anymore! I bought it on release day so it feels like a waste. Does the game start to get a bit more interesting later on?

[quote name='animalspinners']The easiest way to kill Toises, imo, is Fang --> Kain's Lance --> Highwind. I also had my Fang at over 3000 STR when all is said and done.

After buffs, I'd go RAV - RAV - RAV to quickly get a leg to stagger, then at 600% or so I'd use Highwind. One leg down. Rinse and repeat for the second leg. Heal if necessary.

Once the toise goes down, I'd use RAV - RAV - RAV to get it staggered, then switched to COM - RAV - RAV. Once I maxed out the Kain's Lance and loaded Fang down with STR accessories, I could kill the Toise without even needing a Highwind once it was downed. Oh, you'll have to drop a Genji Glove on Fang as well because you'll start dealing about 130,000 - 140,000 regular damage on the Toise once it's staggered, in my experience.

It would take me about 1:30 - 2:00 to kill a Toise, usually. The full party I'd use was Fang / Hope / Vanille. Highwind just makes the fight pathetically easy. The hardest part is just getting Fang strong enough. I wasn't even using Summons once Fang was decked out.

You don't need to max out all the paradigms to tackle the last few missions either.. the only ones you really should do ASAP are SYN / SAB for the stronger buffs and so everyone can debuff.[/QUOTE]

My Fang has 2940 str but I highwind when a leg is at 417% and get it down. I also have bravera on though but you could try highwinding earlier.

[quote name='jeremiahkd']I'm having a really tough time getting into this game. I'm on ch 7, I believe, and I can't even get myself to play it anymore! I bought it on release day so it feels like a waste. Does the game start to get a bit more interesting later on?[/QUOTE]

Trade it back in while it's still worth something, save yourself 25 hours of your life, and do a little more research next time.

[quote name='jeremiahkd']I'm having a really tough time getting into this game. I'm on ch 7, I believe, and I can't even get myself to play it anymore! I bought it on release day so it feels like a waste. Does the game start to get a bit more interesting later on?[/QUOTE]

I was the same way, mostly unsure of how I felt about it. I would say around Chapter 9 is where it really picks up (I just passed it and started chapter 10). I would get there at least and see if you like it any more.

Oh, and can someone give me some pointers/advice on upgrading weapons? I am completely lost when it comes to this.

Couple questions that I haven't been able to find answers for:

1 - Where is mission 64 stone? I see where the mark is on youtube videos but that doesn't help me initially.

and

2- I've beaten mission 63 so I guess I'm left with long gui except one. Can they be beaten the same way with summon/death? I tried twice with no success. And if not, what's another alternative to get alot of cp? Trying to finish up crystallium.

I finally beat it last night... I really enjoyed it, but I felt the game was rather uneven in spots and could have greatly benefited from an editor. I know I'm not a die hard RPG fan and this game wasn't directed toward me, but I would have liked an easy mode. Some of the battles got really frustrating and I'm not the kind of gamer who enjoys level grinding at all.

Ah well, I'm still looking forward to Versus 13 whenever its released.

I'm just not quick enough with the Trap farming without death spamming. I tried with Fang High wind and I can't seem to do it on one fall, and with 2 falls I've been getting a few 3 stars. Fang strength is up to 3100 range, I use Bravera.

I hate death spamming because there are times I go 15 Min without a kill, then other times I'll get a kill in under a min.

I only have 18k HP, but that should be more then enough, I've maxxed out 4 roles on everyone so far and midway through my 5th.

I don't want to depend on summons to kill, but right now that they only way I can do it.

[quote name='Denbo32']I'm just not quick enough with the Trap farming without death spamming. I tried with Fang High wind and I can't seem to do it on one fall, and with 2 falls I've been getting a few 3 stars. Fang strength is up to 3100 range, I use Bravera.

I hate death spamming because there are times I go 15 Min without a kill, then other times I'll get a kill in under a min.

I only have 18k HP, but that should be more then enough, I've maxxed out 4 roles on everyone so far and midway through my 5th.

I don't want to depend on summons to kill, but right now that they only way I can do it.[/QUOTE]

You should... prolly go back and reread this thread to find a viable strat. for toises, cause you're definitely doing it wrong... Debuff + Stagger leg, then Highwind. Repeat for the other leg... yeah.

Bah, Trap farming sucks... I spent about 3 hours doing it last night and killed 10 or so 'toises. I got all of ONE platinum ingot and NO Traps. I also did some "side" missions. I finally killed the Giant Cactuar and the two shielded bastards (Mission 61 I think). Unfortunately I 0-starred the Cactuar and 3-starred the other. On the Cactuar it looks like I'll have to beat it in about 1 minute to 5-star. I took 4 1/2. The only way I could do it was to Delta attack so Fang took all the abuse as a Sentinal and then just let the other two whittle him down. I thought someone posted a video here showing the use of Fang as a SAB and hitting him with Daze constantly while the other two attack. I tried that several times but it doesn't go fast enough (and I have auto-haste and insta-filled ATB) or stick often enough and without the SEN there the damage is too much - spent all my time healing, then getting dazed myself and unable to attack.

Also, yeah, where is that mission 64 stone? That is the only one I haven't seen yet. Besides that, now, the only mission I haven't done is 51 (whichever one is Atticus). Though somehow I'll have to 5 star all four of those as well (51, 55, 61, 64). I've got all the other ones taken care of - it would suck to stop that close.

i beat the game...i'd say it's a 6/10 through the first 15 hours, and 9/10 through the rest.

I found that turning off the map (select) when in the field helps if you feel like the game is too linear.

Now I'm trying to get the rest of the trophies, pretty sure it's going to be another 40 hr or so at the very least to max out the crystarium and get all the weapons/accessories for treasure hunter

[quote name='io']Also, yeah, where is that mission 64 stone?[/QUOTE]
It's allllllllllllll the way at the end of Oerba.

I was able to 5* the cactaur on my first try since I was still using that insta-chain gear. Think I dropped him in a minute-twenty because his stagger is 777 lol. It's just a DPS fight all the way once you stagger.

[quote name='Jodou']It's allllllllllllll the way at the end of Oerba.

I was able to 5* the cactaur on my first try since I was still using that insta-chain gear. Think I dropped him in a minute-twenty because his stagger is 777 lol. It's just a DPS fight all the way once you stagger.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, good for you. I have insta-chain stuff on Lightning and had her attack nearly the whole time and I didn't get that ;).

So 64 is also in Oerba? I know 63 was way in there, hidden on that rooftop garden. Is 64 out near the broken bridge somewhere?

It's right at the end where you fought bartha......that guy, and then you hopped in the ship to go back to cocoon. Same stone they touch in the storyline to find out stuff after the fight.

On another note, I've killed >100 toises and have only gotten around 10 plat ingots and ZERO traps w/ the rare-item catalog. THIS SUCKS!

That sucks, but it seems to be about the rate I'm getting them at. I was lucky enough to get one Trap several days back. Now I am glad I fully upgraded and dismanted Vanille's weapon to get 3 more back, as it doesn't seem like I'll be getting 6 "the hard way" any time soon. I still need 3 more of course but I will probably try to get them the hard way so I can save my gil for all the level 2 weapon upgrades plus it appears I may have to max out 3 weapons to level 100 to beat Atticus and maybe 5-star the Cactuar and Mission 61. Of course, if it takes me hours to just get one I may change my mind. I guess what I need to do is start doing all the weapon upgrades and see how much more money I'll need. I think I have most of the accessories taken care of except for a few that need Dark Matter.

Speaking of which, when do Long Guis (or whatever they are called) start showing up? I guess maybe I need to complete mission 51 first?

[quote name='Denbo32']I'm just not quick enough with the Trap farming without death spamming. I tried with Fang High wind and I can't seem to do it on one fall, and with 2 falls I've been getting a few 3 stars. Fang strength is up to 3100 range, I use Bravera.

I don't want to depend on summons to kill, but right now that they only way I can do it.[/QUOTE]

I have similar stats and have the kain's lance at level 99. Still takes me longer to do the 'toise strategy then spamming death and using summons. I don't care if I use summons to take out there legs and then spam death.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']You should... prolly go back and reread this thread to find a viable strat. for toises, cause you're definitely doing it wrong... Debuff + Stagger leg, then Highwind. Repeat for the other leg... yeah.[/QUOTE]

I have read and tried the strategies for the 'toise it's easier and faster to just run around Eden and spam death on them. Sometimes I take them down in < 20 seconds compared to a few minutes battling.

io - I thought you had to complete the ring of mission in the gran pulse (56-62) then Long Gui while appear.

[quote name='combatrhombus']
io - I thought you had to complete the ring of mission in the gran pulse (56-62) then Long Gui while appear.[/QUOTE]

I'll look tonight but I thought someone said it was the Titan missions. I did just finish the last of the ring ones last night and I thought I ran into a small 'toise afterwards - those are the ones that become Long Guis, right?

[quote name='io']I'll look tonight but I thought someone said it was the Titan missions. I did just finish the last of the ring ones last night and I thought I ran into a small 'toise afterwards - those are the ones that become Long Guis, right?[/QUOTE]

Nope, it's the ring missions, and Adamanchelids become Shaolong gui. Long Gui replace the bigger Adamantoise, the ones that are actually walking around. So the two in the back where you first see a
Cactuar
are still there, as well as for the one in
Eden
. Every other one is a Long Gui.

Well, crap, I wish I had known that. At first I thought I was screwed - they all seemed to turn into impossible things to kill and I needed way more money to upgrade to kill them - and the best way to get money is the ingots. But I went to Eden and the one there was still good. Are you sure about the others, though? I fought the one at the entrance to that Cactuar area and he had turned.

See, I didn't actually know there were two kinds. I thought only the little ones turned into toughies. I didn't know the big ones changed too. Damn, I really thought I was hosed there for a while :lol:.

Anyway. killed about 6 more 'toises tonight - 1 ingot to show for it...

[quote name='io']Anyway. killed about 6 more 'toises tonight - 1 ingot to show for it...[/QUOTE]
You're using both catalogs, right? Your drop rates have been waaaaaaaay low compared to even my worst of days.

[quote name='Indignate']Nope, it's the ring missions, and Adamanchelids become Shaolong gui. Long Gui replace the bigger Adamantoise, the ones that are actually walking around. So the two in the back where you first see a
Cactuar
are still there, as well as for the one in
Eden
. Every other one is a Long Gui.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure there are any regular ones left on Gran Pulse? I went back there and went around to the ones in the back by the cactuar place (the area where 2 big ones are guarding 4 little ones). I didn't check all the little ones, but the 2 big ones were now Long Gui. I tried killing them with a Summons and then pounding on them and I can get them to about 1/3 -1/2 health but that's it.

[quote name='Jodou']You're using both catalogs, right? Your drop rates have been waaaaaaaay low compared to even my worst of days.[/QUOTE]

Yep, always - I've asked this before, but it doesn't matter which character has them, right? Also, I was reading back last night and it seems a lot of people are saying they usually kill them with 6 or 7 death casts usually. To that I say WHAT THE FREAKING fuck!? It takes me usually about 30-40, sometimes more, Death Casts. I'd say the Summons is virtually useless because 9 times out of 10 I end up killing them when they are back up, debuffed, and no longer staggered. I might as well just start off right away casting Death and not mess around with the Summons and building back the TP (which is fairly easy - only 2 or 3 mini-fights in between). The only good thing is that now that I'm got way more HP I can last indefinitely and do it until I get him killed, but it is incredibly tiring and boring.

Just to recap what I do, I go in with Vanille as a SAB, use the Summons and let him pound on the downed 'toise while I cast all my debuffs. That takes 3 turns (Deshell, Deprotect, Imperil). Then I start spamming Death and it almost never works while the Summons is still there. I let him run out and then my other 2 return: Light as SYN and Fang as SAB. Light reapplies the Haste that wears out when the Summons goes away, and Fang hits him with even more debuffs. Meanwhile I continue to spam away Death. Eventually he gets staggered and I continue to spam. Eventually he stands up and I continue to spam. Soon he is no longer staggered and I switch to Attrition (SAB/MED/SEN) and continue to spam Death. At this point he only has one debuff (I don't know which - looks like a star) and no stagger bar filled. I can last indefinitely at this point with the occasional switch to Combat Clinic. Eventually, after usually 20-30 more Death casts I kill him. So it seems like I could skip all the early Summons crap and just do that from the beginning.

I'm starting to hate that they made the post-game grind so interminably long. I'm nowhere near upgrading all the weapons yet. Let me get this straight, you have to buy all those expensive ones from Gilgamesh, too, right, and then upgrade those too? When I first saw those expensive ones I assumed they were just certain Tier 2 upgraded weapons you could buy off the bat. I didn't think they were yet another weapon :roll:. In any case, I'm done with Lights weapons and about half of Sahz's. meanwhile, my Crystarium is getting close to full so that grind isn't nearly as bad as the Treasure Hunter one.

On the plus side, I did finally get another Trap last night after I went back to it, and I think 2 more ingots. So my drop rate was a little better after I took a break. But it seems like for pure money creation, it might be better to go to the Sacrifices in Edenhall. I get perfumes from them all the time (which sell for just over 10k). I dunno, but it seems like I'd get money faster that way.

[quote name='io']Are you sure there are any regular ones left on Gran Pulse? I went back there and went around to the ones in the back by the cactuar place (the area where 2 big ones are guarding 4 little ones). I didn't check all the little ones, but the 2 big ones were now Long Gui. I tried killing them with a Summons and then pounding on them and I can get them to about 1/3 -1/2 health but that's it.[/quote]Yeah, no more on GP. BTW, that little Jurassic park area is the best for dark matter farming.
Yep, always - I've asked this before, but it doesn't matter which character has them, right?
Yeah, doesn't matter who has the cats and I'd recommend stacking ATB positive effect to speed her up (scarfs, shoes, sandals, etc) by 20%. Also, I reset the fight whenever he stood up since there's no point in wasting the summon TP at that point.

It looks like you're starting to hit what I tried to warn you about, heh. The trap farming really pales in comparison to how many ingots you need for money, which is why I recommended both waiting to max weapons and to reset every time turtle dropped nothing. Once you max out the crystarium, the grind becomes brutal since you're not advancing ANYTHING if they drop nothing. I adjusted to this about mid-grind and still maxed out well before finishing off the ingot grind. You'll get there, but it's a rough go.

Ok, I've played enough of this game to safely say that I really like it. It's kind of a shame that there are no towns, and you can't backtrack very far, but I think the game is great.

The graphics are just really amazing. I love how, on the cut scenes, you can really see the detail of the clothes and everything (Hope's orange jacket-thing).

Hoping SE continues to use this engine for more games (Versus XIII).

Yeah, the graphics of this game is top notch. On several occasions, I even stopped playing just to admire the scenery for a few seconds.

Well, I went back and beat Attacus, but with 0 stars. I beat him with about 150 left on my Doom meter ;).

Then I went on and had a much easier time with mission 64. It was more challenging in a sense in that you had to switch paradigms on the spot to take care of his buffs and super attack. It took me a few tries to beat him, but when I did I 5-starred that one!

Then I went back with the Gold Watch to try the Giant Cactuar again. I cannot get more than 3 stars on that bastard. I was able to 5-star Mission 62, which I got 3 stars on initially.

So, I guess all I have left mission-wise (getting 5 stars on that is) are Attacus and the Giant Cactuar. I also just saw that there was a gold trophy for beating the final boss with 5-stars. Now that I am way more upgraded how much easier is that? I barely even remember that fight since I did it so long ago ;).

Then it's just farm, farm, farm. I see there is also a trophy for taking down a Long Gui, so I guess I need to do that. But at least the last few nights I've gotten a few trophies to show for all this time I've put in. I hadn't gotten one in ages but then I just got 4 silvers.

I finally finished the game today, in 54+ hours. I really liked the game for sure. I do feel it was a bit too long (kind of dragged on at some points). Still, it's the best FF I played since FFX. I don't like it as much as FFIV, FFVII, FFIX, and FFX for sure, but still great. Probably my favorite RPG this gen. Story wasn't as memorable, but the characters were probably my favorite after FFVII and FFIX.

bread's done
Back