Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

[quote name='Anexanhume']Yeah, there's been some discussion about where they end season 3 is all of ASoS isn't convered (seems rather obvious). The problem becomes how to end season 4 and 5 and accommodate those three books across two seasons.[/QUOTE]

The climax of ASoS would make sense but that'd be such a tease. If they did split ASoS, I'd rather they take a year off and release the first 10 and then the next 10 6 months later.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Peter Dinklage won the Emmy![/QUOTE]

Well deserved. He was definitely their best chance to get one, I'm very glad he won.

[quote name='bvharris']Well deserved. He was definitely their best chance to get one, I'm very glad he won.[/QUOTE]Agreed that it was well deserved for Peter Dinklage to win one.

Guess we'll see "Two Emmy Winning Program" in the ads for the DVDs and BDs plus the ads for the second season when they start teasing it around the beginning of next year.

[quote name='icedrake523']I look forward to Dinklage winning next year for lead actor.[/QUOTE]

I dunno about that. He is a point of view character in the books, but still I don't they'd nominate any GoT actors for best actor or actress awards simply because the face time of all characters, POV or not, is shared between so many different characters. Probably more than any show out there.

[quote name='GhostShark']I dunno about that. He is a point of view character in the books, but still I don't they'd nominate any GoT actors for best actor or actress awards simply because the face time of all characters, POV or not, is shared between so many different characters. Probably more than any show out there.[/QUOTE]

Plus they run the risk of him not even getting nominated

[quote name='yankeessuck']Plus they run the risk of him not even getting nominated[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Dinklage can choose where he submits himself, I can't imagine he'd ever want to go up against the gauntlet that is the leading actor category. Plus, he seems like a humble guy, I don't see why he would (as opposed to Rob Lowe, who always submits himself as a lead even when he's not).

[quote name='icedrake523']The climax of ASoS would make sense but that'd be such a tease. If they did split ASoS, I'd rather they take a year off and release the first 10 and then the next 10 6 months later.[/QUOTE]

Maybe ASoS will function like the last Sopranos season. Two combined "short" seasons. That could solve it right there, but might piss off show fans who are not book fans and don't see the need for such a split.

George RR Martin has revealed that John Stahl, who played Quinn in the original Being Human, has been cast as one of Robb Stark's bannermen, Lord Richard Karstak. Linkage.

Martin has also revealed that Simon Armstrong, a veteran of stage and British soaps, has been cast as the descriptively named Qhorin Halfhand. Linkage 2.

Also mentioned at the second link:
As Ygritte, we have the lovely ROSE LESLIE, kissed by fire.

Pics at the two links.

An ensemble cast usually voids any lead actor nomination. In the sense of the books, all the POVs would be "leads" (at least up until GRRM threw in oddball POVs that were really meant to drive the story from a disposable perspective than focus on the featured character), but from a TV standpoint they'd be considered an ensemble cast due to the way George writes the story, where this is no real lead.

I never read the books but after hearing raves over and over I finally watched season 1, in 2 days lol. LOVED it and thinking of getting the books now even though i'm not much of a reader.

The prices for some HBO series on DVD are almost as bad as the original pricing for the Star Trek DVDs.

[quote name='Clak']The prices for some HBO series on DVD are almost as bad as the original pricing for the Star Trek DVDs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's atrocious. Amazon has it on pre-order for $55, which is still too high IMO. Thank god for HBO GO.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Yeah, it's atrocious. Amazon has it on pre-order for $55, which is still too high IMO. Thank god for HBO GO.[/QUOTE]
HBO GO pisses me off at times because the quality can suddenly go down or the audio goes out of sync. I'm making an exception and buying this since I almost never buy TV shows.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Buying the series is one of the best ways to ensure HBO keeps making more seasons, so I'm inclined to support it that way.[/QUOTE]Agreed. I do have it pre-ordered when it was in my Gold Box, so hopefully, it'll drop a bit more before release.

Usually, HBO BD sets tend to have very good PQ and AQ, especially with 5.1 sound. I would think that with all the press HBO has had for GoT, this set should be a good one with lots of supplements.

Boardwalk Empire S1 was $55 for the longest time and dropped in price a week or two ago down to $47. Hopefully the same will happen with S1 of GoT.

The release date for GoT is the same as Mass Effect 3. Nerdgasm incoming. :D

Since we're talking about this, the latest rumor is that after season 2 kicks off, HBO will announce it has green lit seasons 3 and 4 and is filming them back to back, fueling speculation that ASOS will span two seasons.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Since we're talking about this, the latest rumor is that after season 2 kicks off, HBO will announce it has green lit seasons 3 and 4 and is filming them back to back, fueling speculation that ASOS will span two seasons.[/QUOTE]I wouldn't be surprised if they tossed out that little tidbit around April.

GRRM has pretty much come out and said that it'll have to be two seasons to cover everything inside of it. Problem is that we'd be looking at 2013 and 2014 before we see that. :cry:

I can guarantee they will since this is obviously a run-away hit.

And speaking of Boardwalk Empire HOLY SHIT at last episode. Shit just got real. The next two episodes are going to be fucking amazing.

[quote name='shrike4242']I wouldn't be surprised if they tossed out that little tidbit around April.

GRRM has pretty much come out and said that it'll have to be two seasons to cover everything inside of it. Problem is that we'd be looking at 2013 and 2014 before we see that. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Honestly the thing I am most anticipating is the fan reaction to what I think will be the end of the third season. I cannot wait to see that based on how much outrage Baelor caused.

*spits up coffee*

Its HOW MUCH for blu ray?

I guess I'll be waiting this one out (plus I've seen it on DVD already anyways).

[quote name='Jodou']Well, to be fair Rome still only dips to ~$40 per season, so not much incentive to wait heh.[/QUOTE]Actually, Rome on Blu-Ray is $20 at Costco right now, both seasons. Same for Generation Kill and John Adams.

[quote name='shrike4242']Actually, Rome on Blu-Ray is $20 at Costco right now, both seasons. Same for Generation Kill and John Adams.[/QUOTE]

John Adams was a mini series though, so it's not the same thing.

[quote name='shrike4242']Actually, Rome on Blu-Ray is $20 at Costco right now, both seasons.[/QUOTE]
Regional deal, doesn't count! :p

Best Buy will have exclusive artwork for the season 1 DVD/Blu Rays.

Stark:
4566399.jpg

Targaryan:
4566422.jpg

Keep in mind only the version from the HBO store will have the bonus DVD.

Which version comes with a Tyrion bobblehead? Because that's the only version that will matter. He can do battle with Dwight Schrute.

[quote name='IRHari']I'm happy that Dinklage is winning so many awards for playing Tyrion. He was by far my favorite character in the show.[/QUOTE]

He deserves it too. Give props to the screen writer as well. Tyrion is my favorite character with Snow coming in a close second.

Me and my brother watched the original run of the show. Currently we are re-watching them with some friends who haven't seen them. April cannot come soon enough.

[quote name='stocker08']He deserves it too. Give props to the screen writer as well.
[/QUOTE]

GRRM is really the one who deserves props for Tyrion. Not to take anything away from Dinklage, who is fantastic, but Tyrion is already the most entertaining and engaging character in the story, especially in the first few books. Even before the show premiered it would not have been hard to predict that he'd be a fan favorite.

Dinklage definitely deserves all the recognition he's getting, but for me my favorites have been people who took characters I never found particularly compelling in the books and made them much more fascinating in the show. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime) and Iain Glen (Jorah) are two guys I'd give huge props in that regard. A lot of that owes to the screenwriting as well of course.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Best Buy will have exclusive artwork for the season 1 DVD/Blu Rays.

Stark:
4566399.jpg

Targaryan:
4566422.jpg

Keep in mind only the version from the HBO store will have the bonus DVD.[/QUOTE]

Just saw this the other week online. I plan on picking this up. Glad to know about the HBO store having an extra disc. Sucks it is only from them I was planing on getting the Stark edition.

The problem is the HBO store is still selling it at MSRP. Not really worth the extra $35 in order to get one bonus video in my opinion.

No it is not worth it for just the one. As much as I would like to get this on day one I don't see me being able to. If I can I will pick up the Stark Edition at Best Buy but if I can't I might hold out for a price drop at the HBO store however I don't see that happening.

I actually like the throat warbling they use in that video.

The "millions" line is awkward though. I don't know if they say that in the book or George claims there to be millions in Westeros.

my art teacher in highschool went to grew up with George...i'm hoping I can ask her to get something personalized for me. this is my favorite HBO series yet.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I actually like the throat warbling they use in that video.

The "millions" line is awkward though. I don't know if they say that in the book or George claims there to be millions in Westeros.[/QUOTE]

They're probably are millions or at least there were. Most of them are probably dead now.

bread's done
Back