Game of Thrones discussion thread - Season 5 debuts April 12th

[quote name='100xp']my art teacher in highschool went to grew up with George[/QUOTE]

This sentence is full of what and fuck.

George sells signed books on his website all the time, and does personalization. If you want a specific item though, you'll have to catch him at a signing or con.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I actually like the throat warbling they use in that video.

The "millions" line is awkward though. I don't know if they say that in the book or George claims there to be millions in Westeros.[/QUOTE]

The North, Riverlands, Reach, Iron Islands, and parts of the Stormlands are against the Lannisters at this point in the story. That likely puts the total around a million plus a portion of the 500,000 in King's Landing who hate them as well. It may also just be hyperbole on Tyrion's part.

april seems like an eternity away i cant wait for this show to come back.its taking alot of effort to not read the books or pick up the audio books somewhere but i really want to watch this thing fresh. and i hope they double the titty count not too say they didnt have plenty but id like more lol.

a bit to but with there being a new mod creation system in place for skyrim pc i wonder if someone could create a game of thrones mod for it?

I'm trying to stay one book ahead of the show. Working on Storm of Swords now, hopefully will finish it before that season of the show begins.

[quote name='Anexanhume']This sentence is full of what and fuck.

George sells signed books on his website all the time, and does personalization. If you want a specific item though, you'll have to catch him at a signing or con.[/QUOTE]

i'll post a pic if I can get it done or something (as in a hook up, anyone can get stuff purchased)...but my art teacher and I are good friends as well as neighbors. she went to school and keeps in contact with some very successful ppl of that generation. she's actually the one who told me I'd probably like Game of Thrones and turned me on towards the HBO special because her friend wrote some books that is now a series. wha? fo'reelz? Glad I listened to her advice. She's awesome, and George's game of thrones is awesome.

On the video game front. The Game of Thrones RPG from Cyanide Studios and Atlus will be launching on May 15th.

[quote name='GhostShark']On the video game front. The Game of Thrones RPG from Cyanide Studios and Atlus will be launching on May 15th.[/QUOTE]

Not hopeful after how the RTS turned out.

I'll probably give the Game a shot, if it's any better than the RTS. I still have to catch up and watch the rest of the first season, we dropped HBO after it wasn't free anymore.

I'll give it a shot just because it's a fantasy RPG ( A Game of Thrones one at that) and I know will have time during the summer.

I tried to find the book thread by searching but couldn't. I just wanted to say that, in regards to Storm of Swords, spoiler!
shit really hits the fan around the midway mark, damn. People dying left and right..

Just watched the entire series last night... omg.

I had to torrent it because I live in the UK and there is no other way of watching it X: Discovering that I could put it on my USB stick and plug it into my TV was a godsend though lol.

[quote name='Clak']I tried to find the book thread by searching but couldn't. I just wanted to say that, in regards to Storm of Swords, spoiler!
shit really hits the fan around the midway mark, damn. People dying left and right..
[/QUOTE]

While that was a great book and the most eventful in the series, I enjoyed Clash of Kings more. I feel it was the best cover-to-cover. All the more reason I can't wait for this season to start.

Wow a fuckton of extras. I'm pretty impressed.

70% of the episodes have commentaries though...that's really impressive. I want to buy this but only if its

[quote name='Clak']I want to buy, but you know it won't be that cheap. I'm sure it will be at least $50.[/QUOTE]

$45 for pre-order at best buy or amazon for blu rays, $35 for DVD.

Well the MSRP is $79.99 for Blu and $59.99 for DVD. So it's really just stores marking them way down rather than HBO coming to their senses on pricing.

Both amazon and best buy have the Blu ray on pre order for $35 now. DVD for $30. Perfect time to preorder! I got our Targaeryan version pre ordered from best buy.

lol i recommended the show to my older brother, and he emailed me after the first 2 episodes sounding like he didn't like it because such bad things were happening to good characters.

and i'm thinking...well that's what makes the show engaging. i don't know,i just find it weird you could dislike a show because it isn't optimistic.

I have to wonder, with main characters dropping like flies every season, the show's cost must change a good deal.
Sean Bean and Mark Addy
were probably the biggest name actors the show is going to have, so losing those two probably helped keep costs down I would think.

edit- Hey I didn't know Harry Loyd was related to Charles Dickens.

Called Comcast today to complain about their high prices, and was offered a $40 monthly price reduction along with free HBO for a year. I see Game of Thrones in my future!

[quote name='pacifickarma']Called Comcast today to complain about their high prices, and was offered a $40 monthly price reduction along with free HBO for a year. I see Game of Thrones in my future![/QUOTE]
Jesus, if they had offered me anything like that they'd have kept a customer two years ago. Their loss!

[quote name='Clak']Local library just got volume one of the graphic novel in, can't wait to read it.[/QUOTE]

Picked it up on Amazon for $12.50. Good read. I already had the comics. It makes Cat look like a beauty. Some of the character drawings I wasn't thrilled with. I guess I am just too used to the HBO characters. When ever I read Littlefinger quotes, I keep hearing the voice of the character on HBO.

It was awesome. So glad to have it back.

Thoughts on some of the new stuff as compared to the book:
1) The Painted Table was awesome, just like I pictured it. That whole set with the dragon sculpture as well was excellent.
2) I always pictured the burning of the Seven as a bit more grandiose than it was depicted here, but I guess it's a pretty minor plot point.
3) Not set related, but I definitely like the choice of Robb bringing Jaime along with him as opposed to leaving him in Riverrun (which I have a feeling we won't see at all this season) - gives him much more to do than he actually did in Clash of Kings.

I thought it was good but not great. I would have liked to see more screen time with Stannis et al. That was my favorite part of reading ACOK, getting to meet Stannis and Davos.

I didn't like the scene where Cersei nearly has Baelish killed just to exert her power

Very impressive start to the season. I hope it'll keep up all season long.

For those that have read the books, I'd like to see how the new characters being introduced compare to the book view of how these characters appear.

I love the series :D. I have not had a chance to watch s2 ep 1 yet but can't wait. I hope this series doesn't die off.

Definitely not disappointed. I have to say, though, I feel like Geoffery comes off as a little forced.

And damn, those dire wolves! I want one.

[quote name='shrike4242']Very impressive start to the season. I hope it'll keep up all season long.

For those that have read the books, I'd like to see how the new characters being introduced compare to the book view of how these characters appear.[/QUOTE]

The scene with the burning of the Seven occurred later in the book but the scene later with them at the table is pretty accurate.

You learn more about the Maester who died since the prologue chapter is from his POV. He was the Maester of Storm's End and went to Dragonstone with Stannis after Robert took the Iron Throne and gave it to him. He basically raised Stannis since his parents died at sea and Robert was raised in the Eyrie by Jon Arryn. He saw Stannis as a son which is why he's distressed at him listening to Melisandre and getting involved in the war with his poor chances of winning.

Was the scene with Cersei and Littlefinger in the book? I never recall him being put in his place by anybody.

I gotta say I think they did the dragon CGI good, but that direwolf looked kinda "off" to me. Would have thought the dragon would be harder to do than a wolf.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Was the scene with Cersei and Littlefinger in the book? I never recall him being put in his place by anybody.[/QUOTE]

Not that I recall. If it were,
it would've had to occur in the presence of either Tyrion or Sansa, which seems unlikely. Plus, Littlefinger is absent for much of the book.

[quote name='shrike4242']
For those that have read the books, I'd like to see how the new characters being introduced compare to the book view of how these characters appear.[/QUOTE]

The only character who looked significantly different than I pictured them was Craster, who I always pictured as more wild and uncivilized (relative term obviously) than he appeared in the show.

Stannis, Davos, and Melisandre are all pretty much spot on with how I imagined they'd look.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Was the scene with Cersei and Littlefinger in the book? I never recall him being put in his place by anybody.
[/QUOTE]

No, it was brand new.

Book spoilers:
I think because Lena Heady is one of the bigger stars in the show (at least relative to the others) that they've tended to write Cersei as more put together and less unhinged than she was in the books. Hopefully she'll continue down the path to nutso-ville as things continue though.

[quote name='thebob101']Picked it up on Amazon for $12.50. Good read. I already had the comics. It makes Cat look like a beauty. Some of the character drawings I wasn't thrilled with. I guess I am just too used to the HBO characters. When ever I read Littlefinger quotes, I keep hearing the voice of the character on HBO.[/QUOTE]
Yeah that through me a little too. Another thing was that in the comics Tyrion apparently is an ex acrobat or something, because he jumps from a roof, flips, and lands right on his feet.

Liked the first episode of season 2, there were a few things that surprised me though. One was that Davos didn't look as I pictured him, I always pictured him as having longer, darker hair, and being dirtier looking. He actually looked too good I thought. Stannis was ok, maybe not as big as he seems to be described in the book. The dire wolf CGI was a little iffy, the dragons were ok though. That scene with Littlefinger and Cersei definitely wasn't in the book, that took me a little off guard too. I don't remember Littlefinger ever more or less telling Cersei he knew Joff wasn't Robert's son, dude has balls.

I can't remember if Cersei ever outright slapped Joff in ACOK either, but you know he must be tired of literally getting slapped around by his family. Cersei actually looked scared afterward.

bread's done
Back