GameStop and Amazon: Wii U GameCube Adapter

Been looking to get the adapter since I was dumb enough to miss out on the launch bundle. Thanks for the heads up OP, in for the bundle 

Got a backup order online, went into store to get the free shipping and it was gone. Well I suppose $25 after shipping and tax isn't too bad. Got lucky checking for a restock on a whim, that never works for me!

Only NIntendo could turn a cheap piece of plastic and circuits that only works for 1 game into a flipper's paradise.

Funny how it says "add to cart" and it will only tell you in small, faded gray print on the original and the confirmation page that it's a pre-order for 5/1/15. This is why we hate Gamestop. Bundling a controller at full MSRP with this thing, and it's not even coming out until May.

I'd just get a 3rd party one from Amazon for under $30. I'd rather support them than Nintendo at this point. Nintendo intentionally does this. Remember how the Wii was hard to find for almost 2 years?
I think the Wii thing was on purpose but I don't think they expected the demand for the Adapter. Your buying part of a fight stick that only works on one game. The Wii U adapter has probably sold better then any of there peripherals on the Wii U so far. You got to at least give them props for keeping the controllers in stock which have been in a drought for ever.

It'd be justifiable if it worked with more than one game, but I can't imagine dropping $20 on an accessory and $30 per controller for use with only one game.

Wait it only works with Super Smash Bros? I feel stupid. Usually im on top of these things.
wait... is this true or not? I thought you could use it with other games and older wii games that you prefer that controller with (fire emblem for example) Does it work with that or not?

Yeah, I did this as well about 5 hours ago when I saw this thread. I called before I drove up there. Dude was confused and put me on hold for 25 minutes. Had no idea they even made them. So I drove up there and got it reserved, paid in full. Now to get those character themed controllers... I really want Samus and Donkey Kong.

Yeah, I did this as well about 5 hours ago when I saw this thread. I called before I drove up there. Dude was confused and put me on hold for 25 minutes. Had no idea they even made them. So I drove up there and got it reserved, paid in full. Now to get those character themed controllers... I really want Samus and Donkey Kong.

Those actually don't work with the adapter. Those pdp fight pads plug into the Wii remote unless something has changed in their design.

Those actually don't work with the adapter. Those pdp fight pads plug into the Wii remote unless something has changed in their design.
Seriously? A controller that plugs into a controller? What is the point? Why not make it to where you can plug it into the actual console?

This is correct. They are basically classic controller's for the OG wii. I still might get the Link one for the sealed collection.

I'm just going for the fight pads. I wish they were wireless, but the ability to use a Gamecube controller clone as a classic controller for other Wii U games is far more tantalizing than a doodad that only works with Smash.

Seriously? A controller that plugs into a controller? What is the point? Why not make it to where you can plug it into the actual console?
The character-themed controllers, whether they be from Hori or PDP, connect to the Wii Remote, and they're seen as Classic Controllers on the Wii U. If you intend to use them you won't need the Wii U Gamecube Adapter.

101962b1.jpg
61HtpwF9j3L._SX342_.jpg

Wait it only works with Super Smash Bros? I feel stupid. Usually im on top of these things.
Correct. Right now the Gamecube Controller Adapter only works with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. Nintendo hasn't announced any future compatibility with other games for the device, and judging by its availability, I would guess they don't plan on doing so either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. Right now the Gamecube Controller Adapter only works with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. Nintendo hasn't announced any future compatibility with other games for the device, and judging by its availability, I would guess they don't plan on doing so either.
Which is pretty sad. I love Nintendo but they make some god damn stupid decisions sometimes.

Just got back from GameStop and was successful at pre-ordering one. Lady at the register knew about this as well and pre-ordered one for herself so the process was very easy for me.

I already got in on it when I had the chance in-store.

I pre-ordered it as a surprise gift for younger cousin who's still on the hunt for the adapter since he only has the GC Controller for now.

bread's done
Back