GameStop and Amazon: Wii U GameCube Adapter

I can't entirely blame them. No sense in spending the manhours going back to patch a bunch of games for an accessory that only 1% of your userbase owns.
True. But, to be fair, I think more than 1% of the wii u owners probably WOULD have this adapter, if Nintendo had produced this in proper quantities to begin with. I can't wait until mine comes in, as i have more or less given up playing smash with the other available controller options. Just sucks that I will have basically waited 6 months to finally enjoy smash.

Lol just like Nintendo... Just like with every single Amiibo, Zelda CE game and CE console/handheld, they are leaving all the money for scalpers on the table. At least with this, we can resort to 3rd party version off ebay or amazon for about the same price. You don't want my $20 Nintendo? Guess what, Jimmy Bootlegger does so I guess he'll be the one to get it. FU Nintendo

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xwii+u+controller+adapter.TRS1&_nkw=wii+u+controller+adapter&ghostText=&_sacat=0

take your pick

Lol just like Nintendo... Just like with every single Amiibo, Zelda CE game and CE console/handheld, they are leaving all the money for scalpers on the table. At least with this, we can resort to 3rd party version off ebay or amazon for about the same price. You don't want my $20 Nintendo? Guess what, Jimmy Bootlegger does so I guess he'll be the one to get it. FU Nintendo

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xwii+u+controller+adapter.TRS1&_nkw=wii+u+controller+adapter&ghostText=&_sacat=0

take your pick
Can't agree more. I've been actively (very freaking actively!) trying to give Nintendo money with all of the items you listed, but I of course can't find any of them in stock so I get hosed by paying some dude on eBay 200% of the value of the item instead of Nintendo. When is nintendo going to wake up and stop skimping on supply? I understand they are conservative with production due to cost and uncertainty, but this has gotten ridiculous in the past few years!!

I remember a couple of years ago when the Skyward Sword limited edition bundle was released and it wasn't hard to find it but it's amazing how now even basic games are becoming harder to find.

Remember last year how (for whatever reason) everyone seemed to want a PS4 Camera and everywhere was sold out. Remember how Sony thought, "People seem to want these and we want their money for them" and the bumped up production to meet demand? Now you see how Nintendo thinks, "People seem to want these but fuck THEM. We have enough money"? I really don't think that's the business mentality to take when you're in dead last place in the race. Lol Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft are kicking in your teeth in terms of sales and you're taking the 'We'd rather everything be a pain and super hard to buy from us' mentality. You better change your business model with literally everything you're doing or you're gonna be completely out of the race long before you know it.

Remember last year how (for whatever reason) everyone seemed to want a PS4 Camera and everywhere was sold out. Remember how Sony thought, "People seem to want these and we want their money for them" and the bumped up production to meet demand? Now you see how Nintendo thinks, "People seem to want these but fuck THEM. We have enough money"? I really don't think that's the business mentality to take when you're in dead last place in the race. Lol Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft are kicking in your teeth in terms of sales and you're taking the 'We'd rather everything be a pain and super hard to buy from us' mentality. You better change your business model with literally everything you're doing or you're gonna be completely out of the race long before you know it.
I agree with you 110%. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna add you to my friends cause of this post. But I warn you, I've argued this supply and demand thing a billion times, mostly in the amiibo thread, and half these dumbasses are too mentally perplexed to grasp what I say.

I agree with you 110%. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna add you to my friends cause of this post. But I warn you, I've argued this supply and demand thing a billion times, mostly in the amiibo thread, and half these dumbasses are too mentally perplexed to grasp what I say.
Tell me about it... I post in that thread.

I know this isn't for Gamestop but I found the Gamecube adapter at Frys Palo Alto, 5 in stock as of 4/13

Frys item number for Gamecube adapter: 8312527

Or maybe they under produce for lack of funds by being last in the race? I mean if they start to over produce and the stock is there scalpers will buy until they are common then people who actually need or want them get them, then the product is stuck when scalpers are not trying to make a buck on it and Nintendo just spend a shit load of money making these toys for a certain demograph of collectors and then they don't have the money to fund their next first party title.

With every Wii U game and almost every 3DS game in development for and by Nintendo they really can not focus the attention of their funds too much on anything but their game studios because that is where the money is.

I mean if they start to over produce and the stock is there scalpers will buy until they are common then people who actually need or want them get them, then the product is stuck when scalpers are not trying to make a buck on it and Nintendo just spend a shit load of money making these toys for a certain demograph of collectors and then they don't have the money to fund their next first party title.
61241815.jpg

totally over this. I hope this method of fabricating supply backfires on them. Not that it did with the Wii lol. But this is a plastic add-on for niche fans, not a cheaper state-of-the-art family games console for Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
totally over this. I hope this method of fabricating supply backfires on them. Not that it did with the Wii lol. But this is a plastic add-on for niche fans, not a cheaper state-of-the-art family games console for Christmas.
Fabricating supply has been Nintendo's bread and butter for 30 years and it has yet to backfire on them (unfortunately) Of course with the consoles, you always knew more would eventually be on the way. With stuff like this and the Amiibo line, there's no way to know for sure.

Fabricating supply has been Nintendo's bread and butter for 30 years and it has yet to backfire on them (unfortunately) Of course with the consoles, you always knew more would eventually be on the way. With stuff like this and the Amiibo line, there's no way to know for sure.
For 30 years? I doubt that. That would imply that Nintendo planned to short the Wii but that's a falacy. In fact, this has only been the strategy since the Wii.

Nintendo uninentionally had a shortage because of their internally-integrated production philosophy and the refusal to use warehouse storage. It was an oversight. It was only afterwards that Nintendo learned to adjust by efficiently creating a Wii per unit demanded. They are extremely lucky that demand was high after producing more units. This unintended consequence, the persistent demand, and ability to adjust to these issues is the only collective reason they came out on top. It's similar to how Netflix royally fucked up their program a few years ago yet managed to make more money than ever before. fucking up and having their stock drop 40% was definitely NOT their plan. It yielded a positive outcome and now everyone thinks they're brilliant. No - they're still stupid for what they did. It's the equivalent of calling a lotto winner a success.

NO COMPANY wants an ineffiency in their supply/demand feasibilty range. It was an inadvertant success and now they are trying to apply it to every product they make henceforth. My argument is that luck will certainly run out. The Wii was a beacon of light for them as far as consumer perception goes.

As far as this adapter goes, who knows. Is the core Smash community vibrant enough in a couple years to want this product? Maybe, but it certainly won't reach Wii-heights.

I'm in a class now in which I am doing a long-term case study on Nintendo. This was one of the first falacies about Nintendo that I learned. Yay for applying education!

Haven't looked at any recent balance sheets, but Nintendo is sitting on (from what I remember) tons of Cash in their financial statements and current assets are 1 trillion yen which is $8B USD. The gross profits from the Wii will sustain them for a long time along with the little debt they have in their debt-asset ratio.

So out for good? probably not. I agree tho production needs to increase.

ah cool, looks like a few stores around me have it.

might go pick it up, i sold it for $70 during the craze and would want it to actually try the gamecube controller for smash wii u D:

For 30 years? I doubt that. That would imply that Nintendo planned to short the Wii but that's a falacy. In fact, this has only been the strategy since the Wii.

Nintendo uninentionally had a shortage because of their internally-integrated production philosophy and the refusal to use warehouse storage. It was an oversight. It was only afterwards that Nintendo learned to adjust by efficiently creating a Wii per unit demanded. They are extremely lucky that demand was high after producing more units. This unintended consequence, the persistent demand, and ability to adjust to these issues is the only collective reason they came out on top. It's similar to how Netflix royally fucked up their program a few years ago yet managed to make more money than ever before. fucking up and having their stock drop 40% was definitely NOT their plan. It yielded a positive outcome and now everyone thinks they're brilliant. No - they're still stupid for what they did. It's the equivalent of calling a lotto winner a success.

NO COMPANY wants an ineffiency in their supply/demand feasibilty range. It was an inadvertant success and now they are trying to apply it to every product they make henceforth. My argument is that luck will certainly run out. The Wii was a beacon of light for them as far as consumer perception goes.

As far as this adapter goes, who knows. Is the core Smash community vibrant enough in a couple years to want this product? Maybe, but it certainly won't reach Wii-heights.

I'm in a class now in which I am doing a long-term case study on Nintendo. This was one of the first falacies about Nintendo that I learned. Yay for applying education!
It's been well documented in many articles & books about Nintendo that false shortages have been a key business concept for them since the 80's.

I can still remember having to go to Coast to Coast hardware to get SMB 2 b/c all the Walmart's in southern IL were sold out. (We had no Target, EB/GS, or TRU at that time.)

It's been well documented in many articles & books about Nintendo that false shortages have been a key business concept for them since the 80's.

I can still remember having to go to Coast to Coast hardware to get SMB 2 b/c all the Walmart's in southern IL were sold out. (We had no Target, EB/GS, or TRU at that time.)
Seems like they have indeed been doing this for a while. They were even ordered by a judge to repay about $30 million to customers who owned certain games for a similar reason (but only ended up paying $1.5million due to shady terms). It's an anti-trust issue. http://www.geekcomix.com/vgh/fourth/nesbad.shtml

The thing is, it has indeed backfired on them:

"In 1988, when it was becoming apparent that 16-bit technology was becoming inexpensive enough to warrant inclusion in the next breed of video game consoles, Nintendo issued a press release that sounded very similar to that fateful statement by Atari made in 1982. Nintendo said, "We feel that the average game player is not mature enough for a 16-bit system, and that the demand is insufficient for it to be a high priority."8 They were wrong. In the summer of 1989, the first 16-bit system, called Genesis and produced by Sega, would arrive in the stores. By the next Christmas, they were outselling Nintendo's NES 3 to 1 9 and Nintendo was losing many of their licensees to Sega."

My main store has my preorder which they confirmed but they said they weren't going to release it to me until they got confirmation from corporate since they were thinking the street date was May 1st.

Umm wat

In stock at three stores around me. None of them will hold one so I hope there's still one left when I get off work D:

Can someone search 95051?
Showing stock at the San Antonio Center at 510 Showers Drive, the Plaza San Jose at 1111 S King Rd, and Windfield Shopping at 966 Blossom Hill.

FYI you probably still want to call the store - a bunch of stores show in stock on the GameStop app around me in SoCal.  But I called and the stores are saying they're only for people who made preorders and if you don't have a preorder, they won't sell you one

My main store has my preorder which they confirmed but they said they weren't going to release it to me until they got confirmation from corporate since they were thinking the street date was May 1st.

Umm wat
yeah I saw a message pop up when picking preorder up. They just clicked on the sell anyway option lol.

Thanks for the tip, I checked the mobile site and was able to find a store locally that had them in stock!  I managed to snag one.  Just in time for tomorrow's Mewtwo DLC!

lol, people are selling this for 34.99 obo on ebay, might as well just keep it.

bread's done
Back