GameStop and Amazon: Wii U GameCube Adapter

Yep. Jonny Bootlegger got my money because Nintendo didnt want it 5 months ago when Smash dropped
How's the 3rd party one you have? If I had missed out on the recent Gamestop drop, I would've picked one up on Amazon. I find it funny that these 3rd party manufacturers can make plenty of them but Nintendo "can't."

I could have gotten another yesterday but just needed 1. After getting home and seeing the instructions I see that 2 can be used for up to 8 players which is pretty cool but honestly don't ever see that scenario happening for me. Also, with 8 players it's so confusing to stay on your own character. Anyone using 2 of these for 8 players just curious?
I connected two of them for 5+ player matches a few times. I just can't play Smash with anything but a gamecube controller, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to, at least not in my house.

The only downside is they use all the USB ports so now I need some sort of hub if I ever use another USB peripheral or a hard drive.

Yeah, the three stores I called didnt want to sell me any either. Said it was all for preorders and I think one store had extras but they weren't suppose to sell them yet. They were all nice about it though.

I ordered the bundle with 1 GC controller. Does any know if I can return the controller and keep the adapter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon is selling it for $30? Did nintendo raise msrp?
I was gonna say that must be a third-party seller but you're right it's amazon. Weird. The one I picked up from gamestop yesterday was $20. Funny enough, the guy at gamestop told me they were all preorders and so were all the local stores stock. I decided to try my luck and check the next closest gamestop anyway. I walked in, told them what I want an bought it without an issue. I plan on buying a wii U in a few months and I figured I should get one.

I was glad to have ran into a Gamestop close by that had a new stock of adapters. Bought one first chance I got.

It's been... what... almost 5 months since the shortage?

I'm seriously confused as to why people didn't get fed up enough to just buy a 3rd party one... for less than Nintendo's. That's what I did, and it works beautifully

Nope. because people would rather have first party.

But, you made your point. It worked for you. Thats good. You don't have to keep saying it over and over again.
With these, the MM 3DS, and Amiibos, when people go crazy over each release wave Nintendo throws out for the lowly peasants, it's only proving to them that they can do whatever they want. I, for one, am trying to start a revolution to start taking money out of their pockets and once they realize their loyal consumers are getting sick of their bullshit, maybe they will go back to the way they used to be. Once companies like Nintendo stop screwing over their fanbase, the gaming industry as a whole will be the better.

Great example: I was at Toys R Us the other day and they had about 30 Mega Man Amiibos. You're telling me Nintendo can't commission the production of more Ikes and Dededes but they can totally afford to saturate the market with ones no one is buying? They'd rather Toon Links and Shieks get price cuts in stores than to actually get the Shulks and Lucarios in the hands of people trying to support you (btw, Toon Link and Shiek amiibos are discounted at Meijer - for anyone who's wondering)? I know they have a strategy, but it's starting to piss me off.

Join me my brothers! Once we buy enough 3rd party accessories, Nintendo will start selling us theirs without having to wait half a year. The revolution has begun!

You know whats funny? This isn't anything new. Nintendo has always controlled how much they put out and never over saturate their market. This is why you hardly see sales on their games etc.

So. I don't know why people act like this is anything new when it isn't.

You know whats funny? This isn't anything new. Nintendo has always controlled how much they put out and never over saturate their market. This is why you hardly see sales on their games etc.

So. I don't know why people act like this is anything new when it isn't.
When you consider Sony's nutsack is resting firmly on Nintendo's chin and Microsoft's pressed had against their ass, it's no wonder their competition drove them to last place. Nintendo is clearly run by old men completely out of the loop. That company needs some fresh blood and new ideas if they want to be taken seriously as a video game company ever again. This isn't the 80s anymore Nintendo. You're not the only game in town anymore. Something has to change or things will turn real bad faster than you think.

And why doesn't the Wii U still not have a trophy/achievement syestem? What gives?

#RantOver

Because the 3rd party version has issues sometimes with missed inputs which is crucial for competitive players. Now I know someone will come in and say "I never had an issue"..well good for you.

Amazon is selling it for $30? Did nintendo raise msrp?
I snagged one yesterday morning (4/17 at like maybe 8am?) for $19.99... they must have raised the price sometime today.... f'n price gougers lol... I actually chatted with a rep over a shipping issue with it and asked about the price increase, but of course she had no idea whatsup with pricing of the product.

[attachment=13915:gamecubeadapter.jpg]

Honestly, I think this is different from the amiibo situation (where they're probably intentionally having a low supply), I think Nintendo just didn't realize the demand for a gamecube adapter, which is really facepalm worthy.

but yea, no need to go bananas over the supply, there were third party ones. I actually got my first adapter from Nintendo by literally driving 45 min out but it also was launch night, I wanted to play that night immediately.

I just went to Fry's in Sunnyvale and was able to get the gamecube adapter. They have 15 left in the store. Check their website to see if your local Fry's has them. All three Fry's near my area have them in stock.

My local gamestop had 4, but 3 were on hold by the same person. They're going to be upset when they realize they can't flip them any more! I was able to pick up the last one, so all is good. Good luck to everyone else still searching!

Nintendo might not add more compatibility to this thing because they'll be thinking wii u pro controller sales will take a huge hit.

Nintendo might not add more compatibility to this thing because they'll be thinking wii u pro controller sales will take a huge hit.
The Wii U took a huge hit. What are you talking about. Nintendo owes it to us. The jip us on Amiibos and Zelda MM Collectors Editions and the GC Controller Adapter (for 5 months). The least they can do is give us some Gamecube games for download

Nintendo has obviously had a lot of stock of these for some time. I'm curious as to why they're now selling them directly. https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod500101&categoryId=cat10008
It looks like nintendo only just got them to sell themselves.. last week, the store.nindeondo.com site still listed the adapter as out of stock.. I am guessing they just got them up as of late last week.

That being said.. nintendo really is doing a horrible job keeping their fan base happy. They need to release some other games that use this adapter. I got it to use with PC emulation with Dolphin, and it works really well.. but if they want my money, they need to release some of that stuff thru their channels, otherwise they get no money! The company just doesn't "get it". I suspect it is the home office in Japan. They act like there is no competition anymore. In another few years, some kids won't know who Zelda is! They also need to spread their wings a bit, and not develop more content for slightly older demographics. I love mario as much as the next guy, but you guys have Metroid.. and yet hardly release ANYTHING with it. Granted, it isn't as well known... but it COULD BE! missed potential. Sorry.. I love nintendo.. but they really upset me at times too.

Snagged one from my local store today (store 414 in Carrollton, TX). They had just gotten them in this morning. They had two more in stock when I left if there are any fellow CAGs in the area looking for one.

It looks like nintendo only just got them to sell themselves.. last week, the store.nindeondo.com site still listed the adapter as out of stock.. I am guessing they just got them up as of late last week.

That being said.. nintendo really is doing a horrible job keeping their fan base happy. They need to release some other games that use this adapter. I got it to use with PC emulation with Dolphin, and it works really well.. but if they want my money, they need to release some of that stuff thru their channels, otherwise they get no money! The company just doesn't "get it". I suspect it is the home office in Japan. They act like there is no competition anymore. In another few years, some kids won't know who Zelda is! They also need to spread their wings a bit, and not develop more content for slightly older demographics. I love mario as much as the next guy, but you guys have Metroid.. and yet hardly release ANYTHING with it. Granted, it isn't as well known... but it COULD BE! missed potential. Sorry.. I love nintendo.. but they really upset me at times too.
I guess they know people will still buy them? I was about to buy a 3rd party adapter, and the Kelux one on Amazon looks just like the Nintendo one. I was able to find a 1st party one at a local Gamestop (ps the North Wales, PA Gamestop had like 5 on Friday night out on the shelf), so I just got that.

This super limited run stuff really turns off casual gamers, such as myself, with their products. I know they're doing it intentionally to drive up interest, which is what turns me off. If all of these 3rd party companies can produce tons of them, Nintendo sure as heck can. There's no legitimate excuse to not send any out for 5 months. It's crap like this that keeps me mostly out of the Amiibo rat race.

Their games are still fun. I've hardly touched my PS4, 360, PS3 (except for Netflix and Blu-ray---pretty much the only reasons why I originally bought one), or Vita since I got a 3DS and a Wii U.

Missed it again. Only reason I'm waiting for a Nintendo one is that I have had bad luck with 3rd party stuff and rather not get burned again.

Im tempted to go for the Amazon one for $30, but I told myself that my limit is $25

Missed it again. Only reason I'm waiting for a Nintendo one is that I have had bad luck with 3rd party stuff and rather not get burned again.

Im tempted to go for the Amazon one for $30, but I told myself that my limit is $25
I'll pick you one up from one of my Gamestops and sell it to you for cost + shipping + a couple bucks for my trouble

Now it's $20.45.  Looks like Amazon doesn't know how its supposed to price it... Maybe this is related to Amazon and Nintendo's long-standing relationship problems...

I'll pick you one up from one of my Gamestops and sell it to you for cost + shipping + a couple bucks for my trouble
thanks for the offer, but I manage to get my sister to get one for me at her local gamestop some cities away from me. I can finally cancel that controller bundle.

looks like amazon lowered it to $20.45, which is actually not bad. Although Amazon's MSRP is ridiculous

bread's done
Back