GameStop- Save $50 off a new or used PS3. Free game with purchase of New 360 or PS3.

TheAngryCAG

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From April 20th-26th GameStop will be offering $50 off NEW and USED(Slim only) PS3 systems.

You will also receive a free copy of either Mortal Kombat: Komoletr Edition or Batman: Arkham City with the purchase of a NEW PS3 or XBOX360.

Edit: GameStop will also be offering a 50% trade bonus on any preowned purchase from 4/20-4/29

Edit #2: Since so many people are asking, this has been confirmed to work on the 320GB Uncharted 3 Bundle, bringing the price down to $249.99

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/gamestop-sale

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slidecage']Wow was thinking of buying one but then went and looked at gamestop

THERE ARE VERY FEW REAL RPG GAMES on the ps3 (dont count dLC ps1 games)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't really consider GameStop to be a good source of determining the type of games on a console. GameFAQs' PS3 RPG category is three pages long. After you subtract the DLC and Japanese games from the listing, I'd say between one and a half to two pages worth.

You've got all the current-era Final Fantasys, Dragon Ages, Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, Mass Effects, Star Oceans, and Tales of... games. You've got the exclusive 3D Dot Game Heroes, Ar Tonelico, the Atelier Games, Cross Edge, Demons' Souls, Last Rebellion, Trinity Universe, Valkyria Chronicles, the White Knight Chronicles games... And plenty more that I don't particularly own so can't really vouch for.

Of course, you could disqualify some of them depending on how strict your idea of a "real RPG" is, but I don't know if you're gonna find the likes of Final Fantasy 4 or the Dragon Quests on any non-handheld these days.

so how do you confirm this at gamestop? the assholes at my store like to pretend there are no deals and try to make you buy it a full price.

[quote name='jubeininja69']so how do you confirm this at gamestop? the assholes at my store like to pretend there are no deals and try to make you buy it a full price.[/QUOTE]
You do realize that the sale price is what appears on the register right? You can even see what's being rung up if you look at the pin pad...

[quote name='Kain']I wouldn't really consider GameStop to be a good source of determining the type of games on a console. GameFAQs' PS3 RPG category is three pages long. After you subtract the DLC and Japanese games from the listing, I'd say between one and a half to two pages worth.

You've got all the current-era Final Fantasys, Dragon Ages, Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, Mass Effects, Star Oceans, and Tales of... games. You've got the exclusive 3D Dot Game Heroes, Ar Tonelico, the Atelier Games, Cross Edge, Demons' Souls, Last Rebellion, Trinity Universe, Valkyria Chronicles, the White Knight Chronicles games... And plenty more that I don't particularly own so can't really vouch for.

Of course, you could disqualify some of them depending on how strict your idea of a "real RPG" is, but I don't know if you're gonna find the likes of Final Fantasy 4 or the Dragon Quests on any non-handheld these days.[/QUOTE]

what are any good RPG games (Like Dragon quest) on the PS3 is there If any.

picked up FF X 13-2 off best buy for 15 and dont own a ps3 yet :)

ALSO The sports games like ncaa football basketball ect

is there really any difference in 2009 to 2011 say or just upgrade rosters

Will the free Batman and MK that comes with the system be the new version or the used version? Knowing GS it will probably be the used versions.

[quote name='xsdeal']Will the free Batman and MK that comes with the system be the new version or the used version? Knowing GS it will probably be the used versions.[/QUOTE]

It's not too big of a deal. All the DLC from MK is on the disk except the movie and the soundtrack. Plus PS3 discs are tough to abuse.

[quote name='slidecage']what are any good RPG games (Like Dragon quest) on the PS3 is there If any.

is there really any difference in 2009 to 2011 say or just upgrade rosters[/QUOTE]
To be perfectly honest, I really couldn't say. Being a CAG, I've got way too much of a backlog, so I've gotten into the habit of picking the next game to play based on how quickly I can get through it so I can move onto something else. But even though I collect RPGs because I want to play them and they really are my favorite genre, I also tend to push them to the back of the queue because of how long they typically take. "Hmmm... should I spend 500 to 1,000 hours to plat White Knight Chronicles or 7 to 10 hours for Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands...? PoP it is!"

I do play a lot on my handhelds, though. Currently doing Dragon Quest 9's grottos, and played through Final Fantasy 3 before that. But of the RPGs I have played on my PS3, not many are the "old-school grinding, turn-based" style that I associate with Dragon Quest (I can only assume that's what you mean by "like Dragon Quest") mostly because I've never been a fan of grinding, it takes way too long and I get too impatient. That's not to say there aren't any of that style, just that I can't personally attest to them. I did a few Google searches for "turn-based rpg ps3" and came up with a few lists, though. How many are completely accurate, I couldn't say. A lot of people seem to clump the Disgaea games in there, which are great games, turned-based, and RPGs, but they're Strategy RPGs, like Final Fantasy Tactics.

As for the Sports question, someone else will have to field that one, not a fan of sports myself.

Anyone know the price of the used slim 160gb? Probably going to be about $180 after the discount I'd imagine?

For $200 though I might consider picking another PS3 up, I've been realizing the need to have one in my room for a while now. That being said I'd also need a new TV, don't think this shitty 20" tube is going to cut it anymore..

[quote name='Jack_Frost']...there has to be some kind of ps3 price drop coming up or sony is up to something![/QUOTE]

Hopefully new PS3 "super-slim" model with restored backwards compatibility, 8x blu-ray drive, and $199 price point. ;)

[quote name='slidecage']what are any good RPG games (Like Dragon quest) on the PS3 is there If any.

is there really any difference in 2009 to 2011 say or just upgrade rosters[/QUOTE]

Similar to Dragon Quest? It's a shame that they haven't made a Dragon Quest game for PS3 yet (or Kingdom Hearts, or Persona, or.... well plug in any JRPG that pretty much left the console market and went exclusively to handhelds). The closest thing is probably Tales of Graces F, and looking ahead to 2013 Ni No Kuni is an RPG made by Level 5 - same people that made Dragon Quest VIII for PS2 - and with artistic input from Studio Ghibli it looks to have an amazing game world and characters. This same company also made White Knight Chronicles and White Knight Chronicles II for the PS3, the 1st was received with a 'lukewarm' response, the 2nd might be worth checking out considering it was a better received game and also bundled with a "remade" version of the 1st game (basically they remade the 1st game, with improvements to the battle system from the sequel).

As far as sports games, from year to year they typically don't have huge differences. But if you skip 2 or 3 years things become alot more noticeable. They do generally improve the games ever year, but it's usually in small evolutions that only really become noticeable if you skip a year or two.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Me want red one! Ooga fuckcking Booga!!!!!:hot:[/QUOTE]

Looks meh.

Maybe on the PS4 they'll just make so it you can buy different color shells from the start.

[quote name='slidecage']probally the 199 price drop is what is coming and gamestop just did it early.

there is almost no chance of seeing 149....

but remember if the price drop is 199 and you can hold out for 6 months a

149 or even a 129 PS3 Day after thanksgiving isnt out of reach with gift cards

Wow was thinking of buying one but then went and looked at gamestop

Compared to what the PS2, or compared to the Wii/360? Because PS3 is starting to finally see some decent JRPGS lately.

I would say PS3 is now the far and away best current console for console RPG players. Granted this generation is rather sad with the sorry state of that genre. PS3 has been getting quite a few exclusive JRPG games, but most of them look like junk to me. Recently Disgaea 4 and Tales of Graces F look solid, and Ni No Kuni (early 2013) is one of my most anticipated games period. I do think late in the life cycle that PS3 will start to see alot of JRPG's get released as current gen console development costs have come down dramatically (from what I've read). Development costs were a big reason that many of these JRPG's moved to handhelds, but now it's not so much disparity to bring these games to PS3 so most likely they will attempt a few - maybe even a few "surprise" localizations that never would have happened 3 or 4 years ago.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Looks meh.

Maybe on the PS4 they'll just make so it you can buy different color shells from the start.[/QUOTE]

You take that back or I will bite your
finger
!!!!!!!!!:bomb:

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Looks meh.

Maybe on the PS4 they'll just make so it you can buy different color shells from the start.[/QUOTE]
I don't thnk Sony would want to do that because the shells market will just be populated by third party cheap parts, and Sony won't get a penny

Too bad there is no ratchet/LBP bundles sold in my area.
It's a toss up between the infamous 2 or the harry potter bundle.

Darn it, knowing this is on sale and I can't buy it is really going to get to me. Here's hoping for the best weekend of garage sales ever.

[quote name='iduncurr']Round one? You think they'll have a second/third round of promo fights?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that too but I think it's just because MK is in the sale.

How is GameStop with consoles in store? I'm looking to pick up a new PS3 at this price, but it would be a total deal breaker if they open them like they do with the "new" games.

B:AC is also pretty fight oriented as well so probably not. That would be cool though.
Guess I'm stopping by my local GS to check out the ps3 bundles.

no need to worry, they don't open new consoles.

[quote name='mastaspy007']How is GameStop with consoles in store? I'm looking to pick up a new PS3 at this price, but it would be a total deal breaker if they open them like they do with the "new" games.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MellowSeth']Is it possible for stores to have the uncharted 3 bundle if it isnt listed online? lol...[/QUOTE]

Is this deal applicable to bundles too?

[quote name='technicalstylez']no need to worry, they don't open new consoles.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks for the reply! I'll def be stopping by to pick one up tomorrow now.

no prob. at first i was upset that i used my gs credit to buy the uncharted 320gb bundle already last month, but then i saw that only the 160gb ps3 is included in the deal so im not as upset now. great deal for people new to ps3 and/or that want to get in on mk komplete.

[quote name='mastaspy007']Awesome! Thanks for the reply! I'll def be stopping by to pick one up tomorrow now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SoulEdgeVII']Is this deal applicable to bundles too?[/QUOTE]

Well, if you look online, the infamous bundle is 249.99 even though its only available at stores that still have it, OOS online. a lot of the PS3's on their site have been cut $50.

I recently signed up for the Pro reward membership and I still have my B2G1 coupon and I really want to take advantage of the 50% Trade in values, I was wondering if anyone has ad any experiences using a promotion like that with the coupon, or if I'm going to have to buy a used game then come back at another time and try apply the coupon and get the other two.

[quote name='slidecage']probally the 199 price drop is what is coming and gamestop just did it early.

there is almost no chance of seeing 149....

but remember if the price drop is 199 and you can hold out for 6 months a

149 or even a 129 PS3 Day after thanksgiving isnt out of reach with gift cards

Wow was thinking of buying one but then went and looked at gamestop

Exclusive Quality (IMO) PS3 JRPG's
Valkyria Chronicles (where's the dude who has the you're doing it wrong animated GIF in his sig if you own a PS3 w/o VC? One of the 2 or 3 best JRPG's of this generation, and the best on PS3, no question.)
White Knight Chronicles 2 (closest to Dragon's Quest and it's 2 full games for just $30 at Gamestop.)
Demon's Souls (great introduction into that universe, also SLIGHTLY easier and MUCH cheaper [$20 new, $18 used] than its sequel Dark Souls currently.)
Tales of Graces f (not played it yet but seems like a good Tales game, just probably not as good as Vesperia on 360.)
3D Dot Game Heroes (great Zelda omage game by Atlus that lets you customize the look of your hero and fun, stylized 8-bit art style.)
Folklore (an older game that makes you go through same levels/bosses as two different characters but others have had fun with the game.)

JRPG's better on PS3 (content, graphics, fewer discs, etc.)
FF 13
FF 13-2
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International Edition
Eternal Sonata
Catherine (not really an RPG but a puzzle-action game that is very challenging by Atlas with a mature anime-ish storyline so I thought I would just lump it in here.)

There are a bunch of the NIS JRPG's on PS3 exclusively I did not mention b/c I don't think they're that great, although I haven't played them so I just can't make an educated comment about them from experience other than Cross Edge (so overhyped.)

I know you discounted the PS1 JRPG library available for download, but surely there's something from Square Enix you didn't get to play on PS1 that is really rare you can now get for $6 or $10 instead of the high EBay prices? Also remember there's a bunch of those games that either don't show up in the Gamestop DLC section, or haven't come out yet (like Sony's Legend of Dragoon comes out first Tuesday in May.)

Note that the Western RPG's (Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, etc.) for the most part run much more poorly on PS3. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning seems to be the one WRPG that runs better on PS3 than 360 (PS3 was its lead platform.) Dragon Age also runs fine on PS3, but the 360 version of it runs slightly better.

Also note there are no exclusive WRPG's, like Witcher 2 for example, on PS3 b/c of its architecture being so different from PC's. Any WRPG you see on PS3 is dual platform.

If you like baseball, you want MLB The Show period. I can't count how many PS3's in St. Louis have been sold for that game alone.

Great price to bad I don't need one now. My wife won VIP coachella tickets for this weekend from coconut water, since they only gave us one day advance notice we couldn't go so she traded a guy on Craigslist a new ps3, vita and a ipad 2 for them.

Really don't need a ps3, but for $90 with trade and a free game, this is better than black friday (THANK YOU ARKHAM CITY FLIP!). I thought my next console would be Wii U, but I've been itching to play God of War and Uncharted.

So pissed. I'm like some sort of bad luck charm. My car crapped out and I had to go car shopping (and bought a car) last month when the $175 coupon stacked with the $50 trade bonus (still traded anyway since it was an ok deal without the $50 bonus). Waited a week or so to see if any deals would come up for a new 160G PS3 and ended up buying on 3/18 since I figured it wouldn't get any cheaper than $250. Now this! And the fact that GS doesn't price match itself even within 30 days. So annoying.

I think im gonna head down and try to trade in my first ever item to gs for this deal. Ive got an old iphone 3gs that looks like its trading for $90 now. Any one know of a better way to get a better deal like stacking or something. Im new to gs trades. Chances are im just going to trade in or sell the game that comes with it to to drop the price more.

[quote name='pete5883']I already have Arkham City and have no interest in Mortal Kombat. Which of these has the highest trade-in value?[/QUOTE]
I think mortal kombat would have a higher trade in value considiner bestbuy was selling arkham city for $10 a few weeks back

Other stores have started free game deals also. I think that Sony is going to announce something soon. Like someone else said, maybe a super-slim PS3. Now I am second guessing if I should take advantage of this deal or wait and see what happens. Where is a crystal ball when you need one?

FRI_P8_042012_30.jpg

[quote name='zewone']The biggest surprise out of this thread was to find out Catherine was a JRPG and better on PS3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's not an RPG but I figured I would just lump it in with the other Atlas games on PS3. The PS3 version does have better graphics (videos aren't compressed) and the framerate is better on PS3.

bread's done
Back