Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

I thought you could start a horde match from any wave so you don't have to go from 1-50, essentially you could start at 37-50 and hope to finish.

[quote name='100xp']I thought you could start a horde match from any wave so you don't have to go from 1-50, essentially you could start at 37-50 and hope to finish.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case anyone want to help me get from 37-50 tonight? haha

Takes probably 2.5 - 3 hours with a halfway decent group. You can get the achievement just by finishing all of the individual waves over different sessions, but there is a ribbon for finishing 1 through 50 in one go.

I still need to do 1-50 on Insane. With infinite ammo and the active reload power up, it makes it easier, but I can never seem to find anyone wanting to do it.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Cliff just tweeted this.... haha awesome.

http://www.whosay.com/CliffBleszinski/photos/82713[/QUOTE]

That is freaking awesome and I'm glad they are doing stuff like this. Also, anyone else miss the picture capability from Gears 2?

EDIT: I might be down for an Insane Horde run. I have the Infinite Ammo mutator and am 4 wretch kills from getting Instagib.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Takes probably 2.5 - 3 hours with a halfway decent group. You can get the achievement just by finishing all of the individual waves over different sessions, but there is a ribbon for finishing 1 through 50 in one go.[/QUOTE]

took me just over 5 hours with one other person. a significant amount of that time was spent getting wrecked on boss waves 30, 40, and 50.

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']
Would also like to do a 4 player coop run on Insane and Arcade mode sometime.[/QUOTE]
avoid insane if you want to keep your sanity. the last level boss is the biggest bullshit in video game bosses history

[quote name='The 7th Number']Cliff just tweeted this.... haha awesome.

http://www.whosay.com/CliffBleszinski/photos/82713[/QUOTE]I really hope a headshot uses the splattered fruit sound from the ones sitting around old town.

[quote name='woodcan']That is freaking awesome and I'm glad they are doing stuff like this. Also, anyone else miss the picture capability from Gears 2?

EDIT: I might be down for an Insane Horde run. I have the Infinite Ammo mutator and am 4 wretch kills from getting Instagib.[/QUOTE]I also miss the pic feature. Down for insane horde as well.

[quote name='timesplitt']avoid insane if you want to keep your sanity. the last level boss is the biggest bullshit in video game bosses history[/QUOTE]I may have played conservatively cause I heard the grief about the last boss but I had little trouble on my first try on hardcore. What exactly was the deal with it? Spoiler tagging an answer would probably be best.

The ghost camera is horrible, its difficult to even point at something to tag it. One way its so slow, the other direction is too fast. Why didnt they make it the same speed all 4 ways.

ha ha haha...joined a quick hardcore week match, me + 4 bots, vs 5 randoms. Somehow i managed to gnash 4 of them and then it ended in a stalemate (mutters something about a turtle) I dropped after that round, no way I'm going to play 4+ more rounds with only bots on my team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been going around 20 kills - 4 deaths in the past like 10+ games, probably just on a lucky streak / playing against mediocre players. I consider myself good at the game, but am usually a 7-9 kills - 4-5 deaths a game player. (tdm)

also enjoying the hardcore event, though some people seem to be ridiculously deadly with their pistols, shooting laser beams or something.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I guess epic cog banned a lot of people recently, and i am not banned. So boosting idle in private for a whole 6 hours didnt ban me. Guess thats a good sign.[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats what I did last night too. Is there any article or anything on the bans? I see no way they would ever ban people from private match boosting, but who knows. Maybe they don't want anyone to ever get Seriously 3.0

[quote name='TheBigAndy']Maybe they don't want anyone to ever get Seriously 3.0[/QUOTE]
The requirements would seem to suggest that is more than merely a theory.

ive run into a bunch of games in TDM and Horde where ppl actually play the 1st wave or round, then...they just run for cover and do nothing for the next few rounds/waves. pisses me off mainly because they're usually on my team. At that point ppl start to drop out then it's 2 vs the horde on wave X+.

I literally played one game of "Hardcore Weekend" because of the same issue. 5 man team of friends against me and 3 randoms, and a bot. One player on our team proceeds to just run away from us and hide each round. Some guy on our team really went off on him through their headset.

This is exactly why I stopped playing Gears of War online. The community just sucks. It's not every game, but it's too frequent to be ignored. Reading about the bannings, and how it's for people who idle in public games, I really am hoping that this will deter people from being assholes in the game.

if it wasnt for horde mode i wouldnt even attempt to play gears online. i think team death match and the other modes just suck hairy ass.

one little kid using the dizzy skin kept whining and following me around because he wanted to trade guns w/me. we're getting hazed by horde and he's just all up ons yelling into his headset to trade. I said, shoot lambent or go to jack in the box.

6...waves of that because everyone dropped out and it was just us 2.

[quote name='timesplitt']i got 2,000 exp when playing a private match with my friend the first time, every other time it was like 200. :([/QUOTE]

You must have earned a gold medal, or something.

Sawed-offs still tick me off. The gib range is too hard to gauge. I guess I have to learn to NEVER challenge someone using that gun.

Well some clarification on the getting banne din private games, they are not doing that (read on the epic forums) they will only be banning if you are hacking or modding in private games.

I am trying for Seriously 3.0, and even started a blog tracking everything. Its looking more obtainable every day

[quote name='100xp']one little kid using the dizzy skin kept whining and following me around because he wanted to trade guns w/me. we're getting hazed by horde and he's just all up ons yelling into his headset to trade. I said, shoot lambent or go to jack in the box.

6...waves of that because everyone dropped out and it was just us 2.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

I've noticed that people are much more likely to quit Hardcore Horde. Out of a bunch of tries, I've only had two or three games where all five people stuck around for more than a few waves.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']:lol:

I've noticed that people are much more likely to quit Hardcore Horde. Out of a bunch of tries, I've only had two or three games where all five people stuck around for more than a few waves.[/QUOTE]

yeah. it was crap last night, a group of 5 made it to wave 2 then one guy drops...then the 4 of us make it to wave 10, eventually we just run out of cash and the host quits after 3-4 tries. 2 more, so close...

[quote name='100xp']yeah. it was crap last night, a group of 5 made it to wave 2 then one guy drops...then the 4 of us make it to wave 10, eventually we just run out of cash and the host quits after 3-4 tries. 2 more, so close...[/QUOTE]
I actually made it as far as wave 30 on Trenches with a group of four... then we got three Berserkers. :p

3 horde groups in a row now, one person quit within the first 2 waves each time, and 1-2 others would always follow suit. then we lose once and the host just quits, so lame. who queues up for horde and then quits immediately? had the same thing happen with 2 beast games I tried to play too.

I'm looking forward to the new DLC, even though originally I wasn't on board with all the dlc epic was charging us for. but there seems to be a lot of content. anyone know if they new characters included will have to be unlocked? i'd prefer it that way....

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']3 horde groups in a row now, one person quit within the first 2 waves each time, and 1-2 others would always follow suit. then we lose once and the host just quits, so lame. who queues up for horde and then quits immediately? had the same thing happen with 2 beast games I tried to play too.

I'm looking forward to the new DLC, even though originally I wasn't on board with all the dlc epic was charging us for. but there seems to be a lot of content. anyone know if they new characters included will have to be unlocked? i'd prefer it that way....[/QUOTE]

I have been tempted to join games, build the headquarters, and quit. 100 founder ribbons, would take forever otherwise (and it would still take a ton of time doing it that way too.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']I have been tempted to join games, build the headquarters, and quit. 100 founder ribbons, would take forever otherwise (and it would still take a ton of time doing it that way too.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn' t it be quicker in a private match solo? Any round on insane, start game, die, restart, rinse and repeat. I bet you would get 3-4 in the time it would take matchmaking to find a game and you don't affect people wanting to play.

[quote name='TheBigAndy']I have been tempted to join games, build the headquarters, and quit. 100 founder ribbons, would take forever otherwise (and it would still take a ton of time doing it that way too.[/QUOTE]
I've noticed recently that I get a Founder ribbon for any HQ built, even if it's not the first. I think they changed that to make them easier to get.

again how are people getting codes for the beta unlocks? is it legit ie Epic decided to cave to the masses that didn't get in on the beta or were bad and couldn't get cole train or gold retro?

I played a bit hc tdm. it does seem like some people are shooting the snub a bit too fast... one match 2 guys rushed for the high ground and would start downing people and getting headshots...

You only get 1 epic event award for playing this weekend right? I only played 1 gnashers match, i dont think id get 2 more for playing horde and beast. I have 4/5 for that medal so far.

[quote name='The 7th Number']You only get 1 epic event award for playing this weekend right? I only played 1 gnashers match, i dont think id get 2 more for playing horde and beast. I have 4/5 for that medal so far.[/QUOTE]
That is what I saw. I played horde through about 20ish and didn't get one. I played one match of gnasher (wasn't a fan as I missed my lancer play) and then got it.

[quote name='The 7th Number']You only get 1 epic event award for playing this weekend right? I only played 1 gnashers match, i dont think id get 2 more for playing horde and beast. I have 4/5 for that medal so far.[/QUOTE]
Yup, 4/5 (really 4/30 :cold:) is the max you can have right now, unless you played prior to the release day title update when every online match counted +1.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gamer SDP']again how are people getting codes for the beta unlocks? is it legit ie Epic decided to cave to the masses that didn't get in on the beta or were bad and couldn't get cole train or gold retro?
[/QUOTE]

Story is that you can contact Microsoft to get them to give you codes for the unlock if you bitch that you played in the beta and lost your save file.

It's really lame, and I can't believe how much they've bumbled the exclusive unlocks for this game. I like having skins you can't have. I lack the Liquid Green Skins because I don't have a Jack in the Box in my state, and I don't have a facebook account. I'm not about to complain to Microsoft about that just because my insecurity about exclusives, as exclusives aren't special if every jackass can have them.

Best yet, Epic's bullshit stance on trying to counter codes being sold for profit on ebay is countered again by Microsoft, because people are contacting Microsoft about this to get their "free beta skins," and then are selling them on ebay. Why can't game companies just grow balls and say you missed it, or lost it, too bad?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I actually made it as far as wave 30 on Trenches with a group of four... then we got three Berserkers. :p[/QUOTE]
I made it to 30 yesterday with 3 others, and the host had an absolutely terrible connection. Constantly, and I mean constantly, you'd jump ahead, then drop back, and then get stuck on a wall. It was awful to try and revive someone. You'd get to them, only to drop back, then jump past them, then be stuck on cover, and they'd actually be somewhere else, not where they appeared.

Then at wave 30 we had Bersekers, Armored Kantus' and a serapede, all of which would lunge ahead because of the lag. I still don't get why Epic couldn't put dedicated servers for Horde. Host connection and jackasses dropping out before wave 5 are killing it. I don't quit out of Horde, since I'm not a bitch, and that's why I stuck it out with that awful host.

Halloween->Halloween Event->War Supporter 5/5->Achievement Unlocked->Gears of War 3->Traded-In

If people want to do Insane Horde this week with mutatotrs, I'd like to get that medal before I trade it in.

[quote name='popular penguin']Sawed-offs still tick me off. The gib range is too hard to gauge. I guess I have to learn to NEVER challenge someone using that gun.[/QUOTE]
i was on overpass, and got gib'd by a player who was on the next level of stairs

.......-......_him
..........-_|
'''''''''''_|
me_|

all i could do was :|

edit: i tested it out against my friend, and he said he wasnt getting hurt, not until he climb half way up did i gib him.
while testing with my friend he also was able to retro charge me and "stab" me while still several feet away on my screen. i kept trying to guess when to SoS him and he'd insta stab me before i could press trigger

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Halloween->Halloween Event->War Supporter 5/5->Achievement Unlocked->Gears of War 3->Traded-In[/QUOTE]
5 just unlocks the Golden Gear skin. 30 events for the Onyx and the achievement. It's going to be next year sometime...

i don't think I got the credit for playing online during release...and did we confirm that private solo idling boosting is not a bannable offense?

[quote name='100xp']i don't think I got the credit for playing online during release...and did we confirm that private solo idling boosting is not a bannable offense?[/QUOTE]

all signs point to you wont get banned. Everyone ive read about being banned on epic forums modded. I wouldnt idle boost in online matches, but private should be fine.

If private idle boosting were a bannable offense I would be the first person bitching about it in here. I think it's safe to say we're in the clear.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yup, 4/5 (really 4/30 :cold:) is the max you can have right now, unless you played prior to the release day title update when every online match counted +1.[/QUOTE]

Bummer guess I missed one already as I only have 3/5 so far. Thought I played all the listed events so far on their calender too.

hahahaha...thanks, I'm sure I won't be doing it on the level of most but firing up a private match before i run an errand might be something I'll start doing plus I never idle boost in online matches.

(probably asked before) is there something awarded for being Beast mode on Hardcore difficulty? so far I've yet to get into a group that can get past wave 10/12...and it's frustrating. Also that armored septapede whatever is the terminator. (pricey but oh so good)

^
Don't waste your time with Hardcore (you only get a gold medal), just play on Insane instead. But remember, you have to complete all 12 waves without failing to get the Onyx medal and the Savage Theron.

TIPS: Use the Wretches on waves 1-5 because they can jump over fences (not laser fences)
Use the Savage Grenadier. He is so AMAZING.
When you unlock the Beserker, focus on destroying fortifications for your team (you also get bonus time).

bread's done
Back