Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

Yeah, seems like it. Not sure why they chose that map out of all the maps, let alone the DLC ones. I much would have rather preferred Process and, of course, Raven Down.

Glad I ended up not buying the DLC today. I could care less about Horde so the multiplayer maps being free just means I can hold off on the pass even longer. Now I have 2400 points to burn. What to buy, what to buy.

Clocktower? Sweet. Bullet Marsh? Eck.

Even with the news of free maps, I'm still tempted to buy the season pass. Does that make me stupid?

As a Season Pass buyer I'm a little disappointed by the news of the free maps. Overall I think the SP will still be a good deal since I do enjoy Horde, but I would have waited to buy it until the Campaign DLC came out.

Just played a match in the Alpha playlist and its amazing. I really like the simpler loadouts. I do kind of wish it was still 5v5, but 4v4 isn't bad. There were already people complaining about the lack of retro/sawed-off starts, which is hilarious.

FYI for achievement hunters, Kill Locust Like a Boss apparently doesn't pop unless you personally survive the wave, as one unfortunate in our group found out. :cold:

[quote name='shinryuu']Even with the news of free maps, I'm still tempted to buy the season pass. Does that make me stupid?[/QUOTE]

What it makes you is a valued member of Epic's target demographic.

[quote name='shinryuu']Clocktower? Sweet. Bullet Marsh? Eck.

Even with the news of free maps, I'm still tempted to buy the season pass. Does that make me stupid?[/QUOTE]

Well, there's still the Campain DLC and the other 2 yet to be announced DLC packs. Also if you enjoy playing Horde with friends, by all means go for it.

If they are giving those maps for free, and they are finished, then put them out already so i can play MP on them! I dont get why you would want to hold them back. I dont think anyone is running out and buying them so they can use them in private games!

Annnnd another slap in the face, I'd much rather have preferred keeping my $30 if I knew maps would be coming out to the masses for free.

Did end up beating waves 1-50 of horde today with a group of 3 randoms (4 total), took about 3-4 hours if not more, it was ridiculous to say the least.

Kind of disappointed to find out the characters/skins don't have to be unlocked with this first dlc, I figured this was the way it was gonna be, but was hoping they'd be things you have to get certain metals to unlock or whatever, makes them mean more and make it so everyone doesn't already have the same characters, but whatever. Pretty good first piece of dlc, the new maps are good for horde I like the variety. Just stupid they will be free for versus / mp to anyone, feels like a bit of a waste of money. But oh well

I like the new Alpha playlist, no SOS or retro unless its a pickup. The problem i ran into today, is that most of the time it feels like enemy bullets do twice as much damage than mine do. Maybe im just playing better players, who do active reload, but it doesnt seem like they do. They just point and shoot and bam im downed. Its pretty crazy. I even remember putting a whole retro clip in someone who was running and it didnt even down him. Wonder if this playlist has different ammo damage than the regular playlists.

Yeah its kind of a low blow from epic to say, hey buy our season pass, then give out half the DLC for free, well the most important parts for free. I would have bought the DLC campaign featuring RAAM. Probably would have bought the horde DLC too, but it seems like they are really going after your dollars these days, and using cheap tactics to get it. That or they are so disorganized, that they cant decide on shit until its almost too late.

To my surprise the Alpha Playlist is now the only reason I haven't completely abandoned this game. Color me impressed. Well... at least for now because more often than not I was actually connected to a damn server every other game! Except one P2P where my team got lag switched, but eh... Gears is Gears. Very refreshing to see scrubs leave immediately in frustration and watch people completely ignore/rarely use the Sawed-off as a pick up even IF they are defending a ring spawn that's directly on it in KOTH. Think God the vets and people who want to get better are actually playing this shit.

Now that I've got a taste of the Gears I always wanted I can't imagine stomaching the regular game a second longer. Still I hope they bump it up to 5v5, return the Hammerburst back to loadout and exile the SOS and Retro from the playlist forever. Realistically neither gun belongs there especially when their main purpose for most players is harassment and hogging slots better suited to pistols. Plus the TDM numbers were no worse for wear so GTFOPLZKTHX.

I hope Epic continues to show appreciation for what their fans really want and not take what Gears MP became over the years personally. This is definitely a step in the right direction. Too bad they shorted you guys on the maps otherwise I might have been tempted to buy the RAAM DLC.

[quote name='The 7th Number']

Yeah its kind of a low blow from epic to say, hey buy our season pass, then give out half the DLC for free, well the most important parts for free. I would have bought the DLC campaign featuring RAAM. Probably would have bought the horde DLC too, but it seems like they are really going after your dollars these days, and using cheap tactics to get it. That or they are so disorganized, that they cant decide on shit until its almost too late.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking they just are disorganized / don't know what the hell they're doing. I don't think they are intentionally screwing us (I hope not), but if you remember, they were all over the place with the veteran gear achievement unlocks and every other unlock thing before the game came out, they seemed to change things every other day. so who knows. hopefully they pack the rest of the 3 dlc's with more content to make up for this, otherwise i'll be buying epic games used or wait a few months for the prices to drop. cus i dropped $90 on this and so far they've disappointed me.

thanks to the ppls that partied up for DLC achievements and insane beast mode last night. was a lot fun and a great change from 12 y/o yelling into the mic...even though we did have one episode of someone's mic getting a ton of ear shattering white noise.

ill be on this morning for the dlc achievements and possibly insane beast. fr me or message me here, maybe we can get enough people together.

hopefully every DLC will at least include skins, gun skins, some not to be released for free DLC later to the public content, and maps that will most likely be released for free to the public later.

Rod already stated that not all DLC will include skins, but that the next one will include more skins.

Bullet Marsh was a free (fancy that) DLC map for Gears of War. It stood out as a map that had a dark setting and a rain storm occurring, which made it hard to see in for combat. It also had a interactive setting, where you could shoot a power generator in the middle of the map which would temporaily shut down the power to certain lights on the map (specifically those above power weapons), causing Kryll to attack any enemy in the dark.

It was asked on the Gears Forum months ago which maps people were interested in seeing return, and this map brought a lot of discussion since it was a map that came late and was under-appreciated, yet had one of the more interesting settings, especially with the lights and Kryll. Because of the setting changes made to Gridlock and Blooddrive, I wonder if it'll still take place at night in a storm.

Hopefully they bring more maps back, and for free.

Also, it's already been addressed by Rod in his stream, but if you enter a DLC map during Ranked or Quick Play Versus matches, this isn't technically an error. It's just a thing that can occur in map rotation, but it also means that you are definitivly not on a dedicated server, as the map is being generated by the host of that match.

Bullet marsh wasn't free and it wasn't under appreciated. It was a terible map with a ton of drawn out stalemates. No one ever fought in the swamp and the map was the least popular of any of the dlc maps. It's absolutely fucking terrible. I would rather have that piece of shit garden over bullet marsh.

I was surprised that I could jump into my friend's horde match with the new maps even though I didn't pick up the DLC. Hearing about the free maps Nov 24th has also made me contemplate more about picking up the season's pass.

so if you can jump into your friends horde match and you dont have the DLC, i take it you can't fire silverback rockets either? otherwise, you could just always play w/buddies that have the season pass and get by without a hitch.

I'm still down for some Horde. Too bad by the time I got online last night the group was full so rather than play by myself I just played some BF3.

the CAG group last night was on rotation...ppl we're rotating in and out to unlock the achievements, and we even managed to get in some insane beast mode.

Why does Alpha playlist continue to feel like enemies bullets do twice as much damage as mine! I love getting downed after im around the corner, and today i tried to mantle kick someone and my character just stood up in place, 1 second later im getting mantle kicked. This game can be so frustrating because it feels like im losing because of the game, and not my skills. 3 Gnasher shots, one of which was a 2 foot headshot, and he runs off. Yet i can be downed by a lancers in 1 second. Or downed by a gnasher in 1-2 shots depending if they are 5 or 15 feet away.

I think they tweaked the gnasher or something, I used to do good with it 80 percent of the time I'd win a gnasher/gnasher fight, now point blank shots aren't registering for me, but I can get downed by someone's gnasher from 10 feet away, blah..

does anyone know what specifically I have to do to unlock the command centers in horde? or whatever they are... I hate how it doesn't actually tell how to unlock certain things... I'm guessing buying command posts has something to do with it, but I have no clue. also wondering how to unlock rockets on the silverback, no clue about that either

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I think they tweaked the gnasher or something, I used to do good with it 80 percent of the time I'd win a gnasher/gnasher fight, now point blank shots aren't registering for me, but I can get downed by someone's gnasher from 10 feet away, blah..

does anyone know what specifically I have to do to unlock the command centers in horde? or whatever they are... I hate how it doesn't actually tell how to unlock certain things... I'm guessing buying command posts has something to do with it, but I have no clue. also wondering how to unlock rockets on the silverback, no clue about that either[/QUOTE]

Upgrading turrets by 360,000 in horde mode. For silverback I bet it will be one of the levels but I am not sure

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I think they tweaked the gnasher or something, I used to do good with it 80 percent of the time I'd win a gnasher/gnasher fight, now point blank shots aren't registering for me, but I can get downed by someone's gnasher from 10 feet away, blah..[/QUOTE]

i second this, was just playing alpha and during a TDM i had at least 5 point blank body shots not kill them when it should have. I really love the fact that they made this playlist, but i have a hard time trying to even go positive. Its just frustrating when you lose a battle because of lag or whatever reason other than your skill.

I played 2 matches of alpha last night. I was downed consistently by 2 gnasher shots from a considerable distance. I went back to regular warzone and took out my frustration there :). All is normal outside of alpha.

[quote name='MtlTom']I'm hopping on right now if anyone wants to go for DLC achievements. Send me a message or FR.[/QUOTE]

ill fr you.
im on with another guy to get the achievements so feel free to message me or fr on xbox.

[quote name='popular penguin']Command centers are made available to purchase AFTER buying certain flags. For example, only flags 2 & 4 allow commander centers.[/QUOTE]

flags are command posts? and I don't really get it still ._.

wish there was just a write up by epic that explained how to actually use the new features I paid for :roll: (or maybe there is one? only did a quick google search)

I broke down and got the season pass, and will be on tomorrow around 10pm pst. If anyone still needs the achievements, I will be more than happy to help (cause I need them too).

I got to level 90, and im about 50 lancer kills away from Gold lancer medal. Only 4,000 more kills to go for onyx..... :bomb:

So im starting to think i either have to play against... A. Sawed off noobs in regular matches, or B. elite players in the Alpha playlist. Damned if i do, damned if i dont.

yeah...never remembered the gnasher to be a long range wpn. I understand what you guys were complaining about now. Last vs match, the other team only used nades and gnashers and it seemed like 1st shot made my screen go red, 2nd shot downed me from 3 car distances away on grid. We still won KotH but...dying that much, I don't think it was a good trade off.

...I guess i'm still used to shotguns on Reach.

i hadnt experienced the ridiculous range on planted nades until last night. jesus those things are ridiculous. I heard the beep rolled behind around the corner and still got it. also. changing the nade spawn on mercy is fucking terrible.

Looking to get the 5 player achievements done tonight for the DLC pack so if anyone is interested let me know. Probably will play around 9pm EST.

[quote name='paz9x']i hadnt experienced the ridiculous range on planted nades until last night. jesus those things are ridiculous. I heard the beep rolled behind around the corner and still got it. also. changing the nade spawn on mercy is fucking terrible.[/QUOTE]

yeah, on Gridlock, the enclosed archway that separates the 2 bases (sorta of) I saw the planted nade in the hallway, I shot at it from behind the cover of a car...and I blew up. that's, ridiculous. apparently the planted nades are made of depleted uranium and our cog suits is aluminum foil.

It's frag grenades in general regardless of whether or not they are planted. The blast radius has been that ridiculous since launch yet no one seems to mention or notice it. Must be one of the many pleasures a P2P connection can bring to the table.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']It's frag grenades in general regardless of whether or not they are planted. The blast radius has been that ridiculous since launch yet no one seems to mention or notice it. Must be one of the many pleasures a P2P connection can bring to the table.[/QUOTE]

i remember you posting about that. I think its easier to judge distance when theyre planted to see just how ridiculous getting killed by it was. But yeah those things are bullshit.

[quote name='paz9x']i remember you posting about that. I think its easier to judge distance when theyre planted to see just how ridiculous getting killed by it was. But yeah those things are bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Point taken. It only took one game on Checkout for me to notice it. The second round of the pub match my friend and I tested it real quick with staggering results.

For the initial test we planted one INSIDE of the middle shelf on its spawn (by Mulcher). A guy on the other team sees it, sits behind cover and Lancer's it from what should have been a safe distance. Smart guy. It pops, he doesn't move, we score a kill anyway.

...Stupid.

The second test we deliberately camp on opposites sides of electronics (again... Mulcher spawn). I'm on the right side and plant a 'nade on the floor as far to the right side wall as I can manage. We wait. A dude rolls in toward my far left away from that bitch and still gets it.

...fucked up.

The third test was by far the worst though I thank the other team for it.

We're currently finishing up the match hunting down the last 4 - 5 surviving members of the opposing team. Frags spawn but everyone else is too busy fighting it out so a snake from the losing team picks them up. Since he wiffs the first throw we all realize we're screwed if we don't high tail it. We start scattering in different directions because we're currently between our spawn, pistol and electronics on the right hand side. Half of us roll toward him, the other toward spawn. All make it before the frag which would have touched down between us reaches the mark. I think you can guess what happens next.

He throws it.

We're now in mid-roll clearing what should have been the kill radius.

It explodes... INSTANTANEOUSLY... in midair without any outside assistance.

We. All. Die. Instantly.

...Ridiculous.

I was just finishing up my 40 gorgon kills for the execution in a private match and WOW does that gun have very limited range. It used to be beast, now if someone is like 15 feet away or more, you are pretty much shooting blanks. In close range it seems really good but from distance its garbage.

yeah...it's like the retro lancer at close range w/out the bayonet. I wish there was title updates that explained what was tweaked and not stealth tweaks. For executions, I just down the bot then finish them off with whatever wpn I'm trying to get the medal for...unless it's like a digger or one shot.

Do executions count towards medals? For example, if I down an enemy with any weapon, then kill them with the gnasher execution, does that count towards the gnasher kills medal set?

I don't see why it wouldn't. The stats show you how many executions you've done per weapon...so if they're being tracked by weapon, it should definitely count.

EDIT: Event calendar updated: Double XP Nov 4th-Nov 14th

Last edited by a moderator:
When you down an enemy, you get 50 points. If you then kill the enemy yourself, you get 110 points. If you spot them instead, and then let your teammate kill them, you get 130 points. So killing them yourself gets you 160 points total, while letting someone take your kill gets you 180 points. Your mind=blown, right? No? Okay D:

bread's done
Back