GGT #43 is sponsored by Kinect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to try DMC4 before kissing the franchise good bye forever. I never bought it because I was disappointed that they didn't take the concept farther for the new generation, but after seeing Ninja Theory's ideas I kind of want to go back and try it out.

All I'm saying is that we should expect a little more effort here and there. But I guess that perspective has dampened some of my enjoyment this gen.

[quote name='panzerfaust']All I'm saying is that we should expect a little more effort here and there. But I guess that perspective has dampened some of my enjoyment this gen.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people disliked DMC4 for some reason. Probably because it pulled an MGS2 and you don't play as Dante. I thought the combat and challenges were good and seemed about on par with the original and 3. I dunno...

But considering what Dante had become with the addition of "styles", I was very happy to use Nero. I actually dug his character design and thought that Johnny Young-Bosch was a great fit for his VA. Once I went back and played it a couple more times, I got better at the combat and started using advanced techniques... this really accentuated my hatred for "styles" Dante and my love of Nero.

What I'm saying is, even if a lot of people liked it, I thought it was a good game, mostly.

I quite liked DMC4, even though the backtracking was a lot more blatant than in previous games. I liked the arm mechanic and all the other cool shit. If there was an area where the game fell short for me, it was probably aesthetics. It wasn't as dark as DMC1 or 3 :(

But I still really enjoyed it, as I said.

[quote name='Chacrana']I quite liked DMC4, even though the backtracking was a lot more blatant than in previous games. I liked the arm mechanic and all the other cool shit. If there was an area where the game fell short for me, it was probably aesthetics. It wasn't as dark as DMC1 or 3 :(

But I still really enjoyed it, as I said.[/QUOTE]

*high-five*

For some reason, I felt like DMC4 was closest to DMC, which is probably why it's on or near the top for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
DMC= the best one.

DMC2=worst

DMC3=Good

DMC4 is where it became gameplay felt like a chore and the 'story' helped to make it a chore.

That's why I can't play Bayonetta, the slash&dodge gameplay is annoying to me now. If the game has a story like God of War 3, I'll put up with it.

[quote name='Chacrana']I quite liked DMC4, even though the backtracking was a lot more blatant than in previous games. I liked the arm mechanic and all the other cool shit. If there was an area where the game fell short for me, it was probably aesthetics. It wasn't as dark as DMC1 or 3 :(

But I still really enjoyed it, as I said.[/QUOTE]

Real-time style changing ftw. Shame all that work went to waste now.

fucking fuck. well, i said my piece about dmc4, but all was lost in yet another random CAG outage.

basically-
I wanted DMC5 to be Dante with a devil bringer or Nero with styles. No backtracking.

I played the crap out of DMC4 and beat it lots of times, and got super far in the bloody palace. I would play it again on the PS3 version if it had trophies. But backtracking sucked so bad. The Dice Game is an affront to all that is good and just. Dante was the best he's ever been, but it's like the game isn't made for him, so playing as him is weird.

Can someone explain to me why they like styles?
The guns are always so fucking weak that the additional attacks for gunslinger never seemed worth it. The trickster and royal guard never seemed much fun/use to me either... so I always just rolled with sword master.

[quote name='manthing']DMC= the best one.

DMC2=worst

DMC3=Good

DMC4 is where it became gameplay felt like a chore and the 'story' helped to make it a chore.

That's why I can't play Bayonetta, the slash&dodge gameplay is annoying to me now. If the game has a story like God of War 3, I'll put up with it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. First one was awesome. Then I played the second one and it was terrible. Then I played the third one and it was decent. Then DMC4 was so so.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Can someone explain to me why they like styles?
The guns are always so fucking weak that the additional attacks for gunslinger never seemed worth it. The trickster and royal guard never seemed much fun/use to me either... so I always just rolled with sword master.[/QUOTE]

It's for the scoring, but I agree it's frustrating that the guns are like peashooters.

[quote name='gunm']It's for the scoring, but I agree it's frustrating that the guns are like peashooters.[/QUOTE]

So people like styles because you can use them to get higher combo ratings and thus potentially higher rankings on chapters? But what good is that when you're using peashooters and the time to complete the chapter is being slowed WAYYYY down?

[quote name='corrosivefrost']But are they actually USEFUL if you don't care about score and just want EFFECTIVE combat?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't Royal Guard allow you to parry enemy attacks? I'd say that's pretty useful.

[quote name='distgfx']Doesn't Royal Guard allow you to parry enemy attacks? I'd say that's pretty useful.[/QUOTE]

Royal guard seemed weak unless you dropped a lot of orbs into it. Bayonetta with the accessory for parrying with pressing up on the right stick was a better solution.

Trickster was okay for the Air Dash, I think, but I'd have rather that been a move you could buy just like Air Hike.

[quote name='gunm']He talkin' about the guns, and yeah other than score they are pretty useless IMO.[/QUOTE]

I know, he still shared the same opinion for the styles, so I just quoted whatever was closest.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Royal guard seemed weak unless you dropped a lot of orbs into it. Bayonetta with the accessory for parrying with pressing up on the right stick was a better solution.

Trickster was okay for the Air Dash, I think, but I'd have rather that been a move you could buy just like Air Hike.[/QUOTE]

I thought Trickster was useless, but not as bad as gun slinger(?) though.

HEY! Finally something I can agree with the GGT on. I'm glad other cool peeps thought DMC4 was good. True, it wasn't as good as the original DMC, but I had a blast with it.

I wonder how many people are going to boycott the new DMC because of what Ninja Theory did to Dante...

I'll be honest.
Never really cared for DMC, only played the first.

Bang bang slice slice. Was pretty amazing when it first came out. Skipped the next three, will probably play DmC though.

I still have DMC4 sitting here sealed in that Capcom 360 3-game pack that I got from Walmart in a B2G1 deal a couple months back. Now that I'm done with the Reach campaign, I need to start something else...

Although NHL 11 on PS3 is pretty awesome and time-consuming.

[quote name='dallow']I'll be honest.

Bang bang slice slice. Was pretty amazing when it first came out. Skipped the next three, will probably play DmC though.[/QUOTE]

Same here. But I've never gotten into that genre period. Don't enjoy button mashing, nor memorizing combos and which enemies to use them on etc. etc.

[quote name='Cheska19']I wonder how many people are going to boycott the new DMC because of what Ninja Theory did to Dante...[/QUOTE]

I'll play it if the combat is good. It just won't be DMC to me.

i.e. I probably won't be playing it.

I thought DMC 4 wads pretty fun.

Well Kmart made my decision for me. They didn't have the PS3 Movie Bundle so I'm not getting it.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I thought DMC 4 wads pretty fun.
[/QUOTE]

Freudian Slip?

Anyway, I was pretty busy/productive today. What should I do now? I'm probably just gonna play Yakuza 3 some more...

I'm a little sad that Play-Asia has Jap PS2s on backorder... I want that shiny new 10-year-old technology so bad.

Downloaded the recent Bioshock 2 DLC. Now I just have to wait for my copy of the game to arrive.

I didn't realize the recent batch of Daily Challenges for Reach were so easy. It just sucks that I won't be able to get all of them done today.

[quote name='Cheska19']HEY! Finally something I can agree with the GGT on. I'm glad other cool peeps thought DMC4 was good. True, it wasn't as good as the original DMC, but I had a blast with it.

I wonder how many people are going to boycott the new DMC because of what Ninja Theory did to Dante...[/QUOTE]

Hate the design, but I'm more likely to boycott because it will be a terrible Ninja Theory game. Heavenly Sword was okay, but I can see why everyone bashes the fuck out of it. And they're perfectly valid to do so.

[quote name='dallow']I'll be honest.

Bang bang slice slice. Was pretty amazing when it first came out. Skipped the next three, will probably play DmC though.[/QUOTE]

There's something really really really wrong with you.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I'm boycotting DmC because it's Ninja Theory.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

[quote name='distgfx']I'll play it if the combat is good. It just won't be DMC to me.

i.e. I probably won't be playing it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Can someone explain to me why they like styles?
The guns are always so fucking weak that the additional attacks for gunslinger never seemed worth it. The trickster and royal guard never seemed much fun/use to me either... so I always just rolled with sword master.[/QUOTE]

It's 4 different (5 in dmc4, I guess) ways to play. Trickster's appeal seems obvious-- it's like dashing/rolling in Ninja Gaiden. The teleportation move is a lot of fun. That's my most-used style, with swordmaster second (he should have aerial rave in every style...) You can do insane shit with Style-switching in DMC4, but I always had so much fun with Nero that I never got into it. All this DMC talk is making me wanna get a PS3 copy though, trophies be damned.

Royal Guard is DMC's hardcore style. It's one of those difficult-to-learn with high risk/high reward things like parrying in SF3. It's a challenge, but you kick the game's ass if you get it down.

I've never been a fan of gunslinger either, but gun charging in DMC4 is awesome. I guess it's not a "style" with nero, but I pretty much always have a shot charging with him. I have used it with Dante + Shotgun too for some good damage.

goddamnit, this makes me wanna play 3 now. gotta beat 1 first...

[quote name='ninja dog']It's 4 different (5 in dmc4, I guess) ways to play. Trickster's appeal seems obvious-- it's like dashing/rolling in Ninja Gaiden. The teleportation move is a lot of fun. That's my most-used style, with swordmaster second (he should have aerial rave in every style...) You can do insane shit with Style-switching in DMC4, but I always had so much fun with Nero that I never got into it. All this DMC talk is making me wanna get a PS3 copy though, trophies be damned.

Royal Guard is DMC's hardcore style. It's one of those difficult-to-learn with high risk/high reward things like parrying in SF3. It's a challenge, but you kick the game's ass if you get it down.

I've never been a fan of gunslinger either, but gun charging in DMC4 is awesome. I guess it's not a "style" with nero, but I pretty much always have a shot charging with him. I have used it with Dante + Shotgun too for some good damage.

goddamnit, this makes me wanna play 3 now. gotta beat 1 first...[/QUOTE]

Know of any good videos that showcase this?

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Know of any good videos that showcase this?[/QUOTE]

nothing specifically, but there are a lot of DMC combo vids out there.

[quote name='ninja dog'] But backtracking sucked so bad. The Dice Game is an affront to all that is good and just. Dante was the best he's ever been, but it's like the game isn't made for him, so playing as him is weird.[/QUOTE]

Ya, those are basically my gripes with DMC4. Although, in addition, I wasn't that big of a fan of Nero as a character. He struck me as kind of a whinny brat, I like my DMC characters turbo cocky ala basically every scene in DMC3 haha.

wtf, Why wouldn't have any screen protectors for the new Ipod touch in their online store? I ordered screen protectors for the new iphone by mistake...

I never bother to get screen protectors for my stuff, you have to legitimately try to scratch the screens to damage them anyways. Or at least I haven't had issues with my PSP or touch.

[quote name='icebeast']Ya, those are basically my gripes with DMC4. Although, in addition, I wasn't that big of a fan of Nero as a character. He struck me as kind of a whinny brat, I like my DMC characters turbo cocky ala basically every scene in DMC3 haha.[/QUOTE]

And what the fuck do you call "I should've been the one to fill your dark soul with liiiigggghhhhhht?!". :p

Nero had all that shit just dumped in his lap... and by the time you take on Berial, he's just about Dante Jr. If you want a whiny brat, check Hope for the first 2/3 of FFXIII. :p

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Downloaded the recent Bioshock 2 DLC. Now I just have to wait for my copy of the game to arrive.

I didn't realize the recent batch of Daily Challenges for Reach were so easy. It just sucks that I won't be able to get all of them done today.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, none have been bad. I did the all on both Friday and Saturday night and I stink!

Weekly challenge is easy this week to--just a bit time consuming. Have to play 30 multiplayer matches. I should get that though, hope to play some most evenings after tonight. Just got home from work and too tired to fire it up tonight.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Know of any good videos that showcase this?[/QUOTE]

There used to be a great one on Youtube. Seems to have disappeared though.

[quote name='gunm']Nero is badass. Arm grapple all day...[/QUOTE]

Did they ever explain why Nero has that arm and how the hell he is so powerful? I missed that part of the terribad story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back