GGT #43 is sponsored by Kinect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought my DS home this weekend to play Jump! Ultimate Stars, but didn't bring the charger and found out my brother lost his. So all I've played is the iPhone version of Wolfenstein.

[quote name='whoknows']Anyone play the Ys games? I kinda want the newest PSP one. Anyone know if it's any good?[/QUOTE]

I have, the game is really fun; especially if you enjoy hack and slash. Like it manages to be the perfect blend of kind of simple mindless attacking but still requiring some thought of when to use your abilities, and then you have some RPG elements as well. The bosses really stand out for me as well, kind of remind me of SHMUP bosses with their attack patterns and how much you have to dodge... and how tough they are, haha. Also, the AI for your friends was handled really well, they are like ninjas dodging stuff, haha; and to add a bit to the complexity of the game you have to switch characters since certain attacks are good against certain enemies. I highly recommend the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Enslaved doesn't look very appealing to me... looks like they're stuck on elements of Heavenly Sword's design still. Combat looks slow and boring. :S

[quote name='dallow']Tried the demo?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like my cup of tea -- I'm so lazy and time starved these days that I'm not going to try a demo unless I think I'd like it -- GGT ensured that with QT and Sengura whatever. :(

I agree. It has an interesting concept but the combat looks awfully flat aside from the cool looking take downs (which are basically quick times, I think?). Top it all off with segments that probably play like "hey go and drop the ladder for me" and "stand on this switch so I can get through the door" -- doesn't seem like it'd warrant anything more than a rental.

I think Im beginning to understand why not very many women post in the GGT.

Anyways, so are most of us getting Quantum Theory? And if so, which system is everyone getting it on?

[quote name='panzerfaust']I agree. It has an interesting concept but the combat looks awfully flat aside from the cool looking take downs (which are basically quick times, I think?). Top it all off with segments that probably play like "hey go and drop the ladder for me" and "stand on this switch so I can get through the door" -- doesn't seem like it'd warrant anything more than a rental.[/QUOTE]

The other thing is, if you look at the complaints regarding framerate, and that it's got more "3D action game" type combat, it gives me less hope that DmC will be competent outside of the craptacular redesign of the already awesome Dante. fuck you, Ninja Theory... I actually thought HS was decent and defended it... but you learned nothing and are seemingly still producing mediocre games. :S

Finally beat Nightfall in Halo Reach on Legendary, the other Spartan never did respawn and I ended up having to stealth assassinate a couple elites to beat it (of course he reappeared for the ending cut scene :roll:).

Next level isn't proving as hard, but the AI's vehicle ineptitude continues to astound me. I decided to just park my warthog on a hill and start firing since the AI didn't want to shoot at anything unless it was like 2 warthogs length away. Then one of my AI buddies decides he wants to drive, jumps back in the warthog, and proceeds to drive us into an almost suicide encounter with an elite. Personally I think they should have just made it so the AI never drives; that would fix a lot of my gripes.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Yes. But only for the gold edition.
I'd think it's very similar to RE4 Wii.[/QUOTE]

Ok cool. I have the Gold Edition. I'll DL the patch later tonight. Tracking shows Move arrived on the Island, but I'm not sure when USPS will deliver it to me. I hope tomorrow, but I forget how Parcel Pool works.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Is that hard to do?[/QUOTE]
Not at all.

I had it set up so that my all you needed was my 'mod' memory card in the slot.
Think it's different for Slim PS2's but even with them, it's extremely easy.

[quote name='dallow']Not at all.

I had it set up so that my all you needed was my 'mod' memory card in the slot.
Think it's different for Slim PS2's but even with them, it's extremely easy.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't work on newer slims, or so I've heard.

[quote name='dallow']You just need a swap disc I believe for those.
My buddy has one.[/QUOTE]

It's the "mod" memory card that doesn't work.

Sony patched some holes. Swap disc works still, but who wants to swap discs all the time?

Is the XBLA Space Invaders Infinity Gene any good? How does it compare to the iPhone version and other Shoot em ups on the platform?

DMC1 is getting really awesome. I'm at chapter 20 now. The game gets so much better once you leave the castle and come back to find it all fucked up.

I can't wait for the "dark soul with liiiiiiggghhht" cutscene!!!

Gotta finish this soon-- Tecmo is sending me a review copy of Quantum Theory.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']You already will![/QUOTE]

Probably :(

[quote name='BlueScrote']Is the XBLA Space Invaders Infinity Gene any good? How does it compare to the iPhone version and other Shoot em ups on the platform?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's really good. Try the demo, it gives you a taste of different parts of the game.

They never get old to me...

ofsmj9.jpg

[quote name='ninja dog']DMC2's design is the best. I gotta get a copy and see why it's such a bad game.[/QUOTE]

It was a huge letdown when I bought it at launch. Graphics weren't that great, I thought they were step down. Gameplay didn't feel as tight. The random second character kind of sucked... apparently this game (I don't recall) laid some of the framework for the bullshit "styles" mechanic that ruined Dante for me. The only good thing the game contributed was the addition of the bloody palace.

All I can remember was wandering around the dark city street levels in a circle trying to get the last few enemies to spawn so I could kill them and move on. It gave me that feeling of when I'd really want a game and then I'd play it and it didn't feel right and I was sad that someone spent money on it because it was terrible. This was even worse because I spent my own money on it.

Also, the game is the only time Trish is a playable character, and she's essentially just a skinned Dante and plays like Dante from DMC. So I also blame this game for the "female Dante" addition of Trish to MvC3 instead of someone better like Virgil/Nero.

[quote name='ninja dog']DMC2's design is the best. I gotta get a copy and see why it's such a bad game.[/QUOTE]
I think a lot of people are too hard on DMC2, but I didn't play it myself until the 5th Anniversary Collection came out, so perhaps those complaining loudest bought it at launch (like corrosivefrost did) and expected more. In that case, I don't blame them, but still...

The Lucia missions are mostly samey compared to Dante's, and the outdoor environments don't work nearly as well as the interior ones that the other games are so focused on, but otherwise, it's okay. It's the worst in the series, sure, but it's not what I would call a "bad" game. Average, maybe, but certainly not bad.

I should try DMC2 one day... I have that collection sitting around somewhere.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']
Man, this week's weekly challenge in Reach is too easy.[/QUOTE]
If you play alot it is...

[quote name='blueshinra']I think a lot of people are too hard on DMC2, but I didn't play it myself until the 5th Anniversary Collection came out, so perhaps those complaining loudest bought it at launch (like corrosivefrost did) and expected more. In that case, I don't blame them, but still...

The Lucia missions are mostly samey compared to Dante's, and the outdoor environments don't work nearly as well as the interior ones that the other games are so focused on, but otherwise, it's okay. It's the worst in the series, sure, but it's not what I would call a "bad" game. Average, maybe, but certainly not bad.[/QUOTE]

Following the awesomeness of DMC... it was a great disappointment.
It's not like "oh hey, MGS2 is still awesome, but I wanted to play as snake" which is how people should feel about DMC4 if they have gripes with it... it's more like... this is a letdown.

While I've probably played worse, it's definitely not good.

[quote name='BlueScrote']Is the XBLA Space Invaders Infinity Gene any good? How does it compare to the iPhone version and other Shoot em ups on the platform?[/QUOTE]
No finger in the way makes it at least twice as good as the iPhone version.

This is the best Dante:

hope-737384.jpg

[quote name='icebeast']This is the best Dante:

hope-737384.jpg
[/QUOTE]

No, this is the best Dante:

dante.jpg

j/k, where's that Dante from?

[quote name='Chacrana']The real best dante is from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

And he's bad fuckin ass!![/QUOTE]

That explains it.

Nocturne Dante is basically the DMC2 design, but cel shaded and less detailed.

but yeah, i spent a decent chunk of my life pouring over the guide to get him in my party.

It's not that tough to get Dante. But when you do, you're like "HOLY fuck, REBELLION!!" He's AWESOME.

i really should play through Nocturne again... it's been 4 years.

[quote name='Chacrana']The real best dante is from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

And he's bad fuckin ass!![/QUOTE]

I'm glad you agree. :grouphug:

And he was good, although since he couldn't learn Peirce he wasn't that useful for the Lucifer fight in Nocturne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back