GGT 87's AI Freakin' Cheats, So I Smashed My Controller. That'll Teach 'Em!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno why Rolento is laughing. I don't like digital downloads either. Can't trade 'em in or sell them when you want to, and yer screwed if you don't back your shit up.

I'm just laughing because I can.

to be honest, when people bring up the point of reselling, I can understand if it's a big purchase (ie. over $10) but when it comes to $5 or $10 stuff, yo should be jumping into it knowing you can't and won't need to resell it even if you hate it.

in terms of security stuff, I still say that's all in the unknown as for now since later platforms may prove it to be a nightmare or a superbly simple system.

so yes, here's our friend again (not at anyone) :lol:

side note: Understand that I buy alot of games digitally on PSN and XBLA, so this is probably one sided >_

Yeah, I don't mind digitial downloads for $5-10 games, those aren't worth the cost of postage to resell if they were disc based anyway.

I doubt I could do full games, and full game prices, for digital download as I sale/goozex pretty much every game after beating it. I seldom replay games, so I just have no use to keep most around. Not being able to sell/trade games would be a huge disincentive to me.

[quote name='gunm']I dunno why Rolento is laughing. I don't like digital downloads either. Can't trade 'em in or sell them when you want to, and yer screwed if you don't back your shit up.[/quote]

True, but if it's cheap enough, you wouldn't be able to get much out of it. Only buy digital downloads from services that tie downloads to your account so you can download them as many times if you want.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']side note: Understand that I buy alot of games digitally on PSN and XBLA, so this is probably one sided >_

[quote name='gunm']I do too. Obviously if the games are small and cheap, it's not so much of an issue. Expecting me to buy Burnout Paradise or Warhawk or stuff like that digital-only is too much to ask, though.[/quote]

I agree there. my cap for paying is $20 for digital stuff. the only time I went over that was when Shivering Isles came out for Oblivion, but that's because at the time I obsessed over the game. My latest big digital purchase was Wipeout HD which is entirely justifiable. plus it's a must if you want to show off your HDTV.

You know, it'd be nice to just be able to go and download a promotional demo, instead of having to visit 15 different sites that are each given 2,000 codes for this advertisement/limited promotional product.

fuck you Sony. I was interested in Little Big Planet but this beta circus is terrible. It would have been nice to try the game, but whatever.

Oh and as for Digital Distribution, I'm all for it, given the following.

Prices are lower.
I'm allowed to own it forever on whatever platform supported by the place that sold it to me.
Storage on the platform is big enough.

Give me every single retail release as a Download, and I'll take it. Choke gamestop's leeeching ass, and reduce the amount of plastic wasted, and fuel burned up shipping discs around.

[quote name='jer7583']You know, it'd be nice to just be able to go and download a promotional demo, instead of having to visit 15 different sites that are each given 2,000 codes for this advertisement/limited promotional product.

fuck you Sony. I was interested in Little Big Planet but this beta circus is terrible. It would have been nice to try the game, but whatever.

Oh and as for Digital Distribution, I'm all for it, given the following.

Prices are lower.
I'm allowed to own it forever on whatever platform supported by the place that sold it to me.
Storage on the platform is big enough.

Give me every single retail release as a Download, and I'll take it. Choke gamestop's leeeching ass, and reduce the amount of plastic wasted, and fuel burned up shipping discs around.[/quote]

I don't always agree with you Jer, but I agree with all of that post.

I'm the guy who sold his physical copies of Ninja Gaiden Black and Psychonauts to instead have them on Xbox Originals.. Same with whatever PSOne games I could get off the PSN store. I wish they'd put more of those up!

The only Downloadable content I can justify are 10$ or less games (Think VC), with the rare exceptions of Wipeout, and the time I packed my triple to go to a relatives for 2 weeks, and forgot to pack any games, in which case I brought myself to obtain Siren.

[quote name='jer7583']I'm the guy who sold his physical copies of Ninja Gaiden Black and Psychonauts to instead have them on Xbox Originals.. Same with whatever PSOne games I could get off the PSN store. I wish they'd put more of those up![/quote]
Thats going a bit far. I wouldn't sell off physical copies of games I own to rebuy(and possibly overpay in the case of some games) a digital download of the game.

Very few games are worth their price for digital download unfortunately. VC games are horribly overpriced imo, especially since they're just re-releases of classics. Now games like MM9, Wipeout, Braid, Castle Crashers, etc. are most certainly worth their price point.

[quote name='pete5883']I like digital distribution, and wahh wahh DRM "5 installs isn't enough for me" people drive me nuts.[/quote]

I'm guessing you don't reformat often? So you don't mind this at all?

Because no one reformats 5 times in the 6 months between when a game comes out and when the company loosens the DRM restrictions. If there's an un-license tool, then there isn't an excuse at all.

I'll believe that they'll loosen the restrictions when I see it happen.

Either way, there's no good reason why I should have to let the game phone home before I can play it. I bought it - why the hell am I being treated like a criminal now?

It's the bullshit like that and the Securom crap that's put into monolith's games. F.E.A.R. platinum edition and gold edition are notorious for it.

In the end, this DRM that "protects games from piracy" just fucks over the consumer that bought it.

[quote name='pete5883']Because no one reformats 5 times in the 6 months between when a game comes out and when the company loosens the DRM restrictions. If there's an un-license tool, then there isn't an excuse at all.[/quote]

You'd be surprised, I know some people who do it once a month. Don't know why, but they do. Unless there's a guarantee that they'll loosen DRM restrictions, I'd be very wary of that game. I won't buy a game that has DRM restrictions like that. I bought it, I should be able to do what I damned well please with it. God forbid I try to install it more than once or play it offline! :whee: Exaggeration ... in some cases, but you get the idea.

[quote name='distgfx']Very few games are worth their price for digital download unfortunately. VC games are horribly overpriced imo, especially since they're just re-releases of classics. Now games like MM9, Wipeout, Braid, Castle Crashers, etc. are most certainly worth their price point.[/quote]And yet a lot of the time they're but fractions of what it would cost to get the cart, so it's kinda hard to say they're too expensive.

[quote name='daroga']And yet a lot of the time they're but fractions of what it would cost to get the cart, so it's kinda hard to say they're too expensive.[/quote]

Not all the time, I refuse to pay their ridiculous prices. Gimme a NES game for 200 points or 300 points and a SNES for 500 points, then we can talk.

[quote name='DarthPuma']If you have a problem with a games drm, just buy the game and fucking torrent a crack.[/quote]

I shouldn't have to do that even though I would.

My only issue right now with downloadable games is the fear that they won't carry over to Dat Quadruple/Xbawks Seven-Twitty/Nintendo Thought-Controlled Gaming Helmet. But whenever I think about that, I think about how butthurt the whole gaming community would be if they pulled that shit, ecspecially MS.

So now that some people have played through Max Payne 2... is it definitely worth picking up again? Is it more fun that Stranglehold was?

I really forgot so much about that game since I played it...

Man, on Monday, I'm throwing The Witcher Enhanced Edition on my computer, and I'm finally going to play it. It's cool you can play with the original Polish voice acting and use English subs. This game had better be damn good after all that waiting.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'll believe that they'll loosen the restrictions when I see it happen.

Either way, there's no good reason why I should have to let the game phone home before I can play it. I bought it - why the hell am I being treated like a criminal now?[/quote]

I don't see you complaining about how ebay/paypal operates. I've had to phone in 4 times just to log in to my account on different computers.

Are you kidding? I have bad shit to say about Ebay all the damn time. It's just that I'm not selling anything on there right now. Though I know I posted something less than a week ago in a different thread about how much I fucking hate them.

Edit: But more importantly, I'm not buying Ebay. It's a service I just need to use once in a while.

PC gamers deserve what they get. As a whole, they've pirated and stole and cracked and leaked everything and turned their market into what it is (and should be, IMO) today.

You'd be crazy if you told someone who spent so many millions and years on spore or Crysis Warhead (After the rampant pirating of Crysis) NOT to put the best piracy protection they could find in it.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Thats going a bit far. I wouldn't sell off physical copies of games I own to rebuy(and possibly overpay in the case of some games) a digital download of the game.[/QUOTE]

Well, in that case they sold for more than they cost on Xbox Originals.

[quote name='jer7583']PC gamers deserve what they get. As a whole, they've pirated and stole and cracked and leaked everything and turned their market into what it is (and should be, IMO) today.

You'd be crazy if you told someone who spent so many millions and years on spore or Crysis Warhead (After the rampant pirating of Crysis) NOT to put the best piracy protection they could find in it.[/quote]

Why should someone like Chac have to pay for Johnny fuckface's actions? Chac bought the game and should have the right to play the game as he pleases. That DRM crap is always cracked on day 1 or 2, give it up, it doesn't work.

It wouldn't be crazy when it's proven that these schemes don't fuckin' work. They achieve nothing but to annoy the legit end user.

[quote name='distgfx']Why should someone like Chac have to pay for Johnny fuckface's actions? Chac bought the game and should have the right to play the game as he pleases. That DRM crap is always cracked on day 1 or 2, give it up, it doesn't work.[/quote]

pretty much
if anything the drm makes the pirated version more appealing since u dont have to worry about crappy drm

On April 27, 2007, my Marvel Ultimate Alliance disk ASPLODED (didn't read anymore). So I got rid of it.
Almost 18 months later, I picked up the Game again and tore through the last few hours tonight.
And finished it.
What a great game.
I got screwed and only had Wolverine and Elektra in the last battle. I know, who the fuck uses Elektra?
Also, anybody want to SCIV with me? Or any online 360 game?

EDIT: MUA brings me to 19 games beaten this year :)
Yay!

MUA is a great game. I got to the point where the Norse place becomes your home base, and then they released a game-killing patch that raped your save game. I started a new file and played all the way past where I previously was that night with a friend.

Great fucking game.

EDIT: I've beaten 28 so far.

I actually agree with Jer on this one. I love how PC gamers bitch and moan about DRM while they download their stolen games. Yeah, it sucks for us honest gamers but that's what happens when a large majority of the userbase are a bunch of pirating assholes.

I buy the games, then crack 'em. I also download stuff I've bought before. Other times, if the price is right it's enough to keep me from bothering with a torrent (like this Max Payne sale.) There's DRM on my PC already, so I don't stress it too much when something has SecuRom. They're always going to try and come up with new ways of keeping people from pirating and people are always going to find ways around them. It's like the Wire, only really boring and with white nerds.

DRM is out there to discourage masses of people from stealing things, not snag the few (or thousands) of guys who jump on torrents. Our good friend Joe Bestbuy isn't going to want to risk fucking up his PC with viruses and shit by downloading illegal stuff. That's a good amount of protection right there. It's enough for most companies. I can respect that 'cause the economy has changed and companies are doing what they can to retain a sizable amount of honest customers in a time where there are shitloads of people who wouldn't mind exploiting a loop hole. It's unrealistic for a company to trust everyone, even their customers. Being an informed and resourceful person, I know they have perfectly good reason not to :lol:

[quote name='distgfx']I know a lot of people pirate because of DRM. So it goes both ways.[/QUOTE]
That's no excuse. That's like if I don't like the fact that Gamestop guts games I decide to go in the store and steal. A company's bad decisions don't give me the right to steal stuff. If you don't like the DRM, just don't buy the game.

Gutted games can't be compared to games with DRM. At least with gamestop you get to keep the game and it's yours. You're not even allowed to 'own' a game on a PC with some companies. Gutted games are a minor annoyance but not being allowed to install a game you paid for more than the allowed number of times is a another level. What do you do when you run out? Buy it again? It's BS, why buy the game in the first place then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back