Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']HATEEEE that one.[/QUOTE]

I like games that reinforce being hard as hell to get 1000 pts with at least one achievement. That way there is a more narrow group of top achievement whores.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I like games that reinforce being hard as hell to get 1000 pts with at least one achievement. That way there is a more narrow group of top achievement whores.[/quote]

I'm all for difficult achievements, but not ones like this where it's entirely based on getting lucky and ending up playing against a dev. I prefer difficult achievements to be based on skill.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']BB's had those for a month already to be honest. I never liked pre-ordering from BB largely due to their pre-order feeling a bit more iffy than most.[/quote]

I just pre-ordered for the bonus, Best Buy is horrible at handling pre-orders. I'll be returning my pre-order later and getting my money back or getting something else.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']BB's had those for a month already to be honest. I never liked pre-ordering from BB largely due to their pre-order feeling a bit more iffy than most.[/quote]

How do they feel iffy? I have coupons to BB so I was going to pre-order there. :bomb:

Im leaning on getting the 360 version for the bonus content but I cant decide if I should get it for PS3 or 360, any suggestions?

And wheres the best place to get it right now (in terms of free stuff and whatnot)?

[quote name='javeryh']Too many online achievements...[/quote]

I agree. I dont think online achievements should be much, if any. Some people dont have their xbox 360 hooked up to an internet connection, i doubt its a big percentage, but its still some. Also some games i never even touch online...like saints row. Or maybe say NBA lives achievement where you have to be online when there are 1,000 people online. What a bogus achievement. Then there are the people who beg for you to lay down and give them achievements you can only get online. I just dont think it works well. All achievements, or at least 90% should be able to get offline. I would perfer all games to have 1000 points offline and 250 extra for online.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I agree. I dont think online achievements should be much, if any. Some people dont have their xbox 360 hooked up to an internet connection, i doubt its a big percentage, but its still some. Also some games i never even touch online...like saints row. Or maybe say NBA lives achievement where you have to be online when there are 1,000 people online. What a bogus achievement. Then there are the people who beg for you to lay down and give them achievements you can only get online. I just dont think it works well. All achievements, or at least 90% should be able to get offline. I would perfer all games to have 1000 points offline and 250 extra for online.[/QUOTE]
Agreed 100%

[quote name='Danimal']Agreed 100%[/quote]

Same. I LOVE achievements but lately it seems like about 3-400 points worth for every game are ones I know I'll never get because they involve going online and being good at it. I don't mind a few totaling maybe 100 points or so to cater to the hardcore but make them actually mean something. 8 friends who all log on and lay down to give everyone a chance to "kill 5 people in 30 seconds" or whatever the achievement happens to be is completely lame.

what retail store should I pre-order from? bestbuy and gamestop are the only stores around here that does pre orders. There is a target and walmart but I dont know it they do that. I dont have a credit card so no websites.

[quote name='MikeydCT']what retail store should I pre-order from? bestbuy and gamestop are the only stores around here that does pre orders. There is a target and walmart but I dont know it they do that. I dont have a credit card so no websites.[/quote]

Go with GameStop.
I know Best Buy loves to fudge stuff up. Plus GS has a good chance for a midnight release.

[quote name='MikeydCT']what retail store should I pre-order from? bestbuy and gamestop are the only stores around here that does pre orders. There is a target and walmart but I dont know it they do that. I dont have a credit card so no websites.[/quote]

I think most Targets are doing pre-orders as well. I know that all of the ones that I go to I have seen the pre-order cards. As for the quality of a Target pre-order I am not sure.

[quote name='mvp828']I think most Targets are doing pre-orders as well. I know that all of the ones that I go to I have seen the pre-order cards. As for the quality of a Target pre-order I am not sure.[/QUOTE]
Unless other stores do something differently, Target's pre-order program is basically nonexistent. Those pre-order cards are... gift cards.

Of course the only reason to pre-order would be for the midnight release, or I guess the special edition, right?

so, i havent been this excited for a game since gears. im REALLY amped for this game.
sorry i have nothing more to add to the thread, but damn, this game better be very very good because the hype is killing me.

I think this is technically the first game I ever preordered as well. I say "technically" because I preordered both this and Mass Effect last summer from LionGames, and I think I did the GTA IV order first. I'm trying to remember now if Mass Effect came in the mail on it's street date, a day later, two days, whatever. I'm not sure.

I'm worried about it, though. I loved saving the $20, but I want this game in my hands as soon as possible. It's going to be agony waiting for the mailman on the 29th, and then if it doesn't come in that day.... :bomb:

There's a local game store near my house that broke street date on Halo 3, and I'm sure they will for GTAIV too, but since I have the SE pre-ordered with Amazon, with next day air I'm going to have to wait on this one.

$90 is a lot of coin to be spending on one game. At least, without a unique controller.

But, it is going to be *all-time great*, so...:whistle2:k

[quote name='Danimal']I think this is technically the first game I ever preordered as well. I say "technically" because I preordered both this and Mass Effect last summer from LionGames, and I think I did the GTA IV order first. I'm trying to remember now if Mass Effect came in the mail on it's street date, a day later, two days, whatever. I'm not sure.

I'm worried about it, though. I loved saving the $20, but I want this game in my hands as soon as possible. It's going to be agony waiting for the mailman on the 29th, and then if it doesn't come in that day.... :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Dude just buy it in store on the 29th and then get your money back when you receive the one from liongames. I did that w/ halo 3 and I'll be doing it w/ GTA iv.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']$90 is a lot of coin to be spending on one game. At least, without a unique controller.

But, it is going to be *all-time great*, so...:whistle2:k[/quote]
Don't forget that's what they said about Halo 3. I think the LE is pretty cool and all, but not worth $90.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Neat video, but who is Jeremy St. Ives?[/quote]

No idea. It says "Top Celebrity" under his name though! lol

I'm wondering about multiplayer Free Roam.
Seeing as the game's islands will be locked at the start due to "terrorist activity", i'm thinking multiplayer free roam won't open till you actually open the islands in 1-player story mode. I never really thought about that before.

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']I'm wondering about multiplayer Free Roam.
Seeing as the game's islands will be locked at the start due to "terrorist activity", i'm thinking multiplayer free roam won't open till you actually open the islands in 1-player story mode. I never really thought about that before.[/QUOTE]I've been thinking that the very first thing I'm going to do when I get the game is head straight for those locked parts of Liberty City just to see how hard and fast the cops bring down a suspected terrorist, and how long I can stay alive with them all over me.

[quote name='yukine']I never had a problem with the shooting mechanics. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

You like a hand-holding "lock-on" system that points you at the target that's usually the least threatening (pedestrian) or the target that you don't want to hit to lay low during a mission (cop)? There's really no fun to be had in a shooting segment when you don't actually aim at anything.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']There's a local game store near my house that broke street date on Halo 3, and I'm sure they will for GTAIV too, but since I have the SE pre-ordered with Amazon, with next day air I'm going to have to wait on this one.[/quote]

Have you pre-ordered a videogame from Amazon before? I'm wondering if they arrive at your house on release day, or if they ship it to you on release day.

I'd very much like to NOT have to deal with the mall BS on this.

[quote name='bmachine']Have you pre-ordered a videogame from Amazon before? I'm wondering if they arrive at your house on release day, or if they ship it to you on release day.

I'd very much like to NOT have to deal with the mall BS on this.[/quote]

No, this will be my first. I'm guessing that they'll be shipping it on 4/29 so I should get it on 4/30 since I paid the $3-4 for next day (Amazon Prime).

[quote name='LinkinPrime']No, this will be my first. I'm guessing that they'll be shipping it on 4/3 so I should get it on 4/4 since I paid the $3-4 for next day (Amazon Prime).[/QUOTE]

???????????????????

They should ship it on release day or the day before. I did the same thing as you, except got the normal version

[quote name='LinkinPrime']No, this will be my first. I'm guessing that they'll be shipping it on 4/3 so I should get it on 4/4 since I paid the $3-4 for next day (Amazon Prime).[/quote]

The game comes out 4/29, today is 4/3, what the hell are you talking about?

I hope the frame rate of GTA IV will be consistent, it doesn't have to be perfect just, consistent. The aiming mechanic still worries me a bit but it might turn out to be great.

[quote name='bardockkun']I thought the game comes out on a Sunday, same day as Mario Kart.[/QUOTE]

No. I've never seen a game come out on Sunday besides Nintendo titles.

[quote name='anomynous']???????????????????

They should ship it on release day or the day before. I did the same thing as you, except got the normal version[/quote]

[quote name='Scorch']The game comes out 4/29, today is 4/3, what the hell are you talking about?[/quote]

#-o

Been slammed with work...was running reports on those particular dates...that shit fucked me up.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']There's a local game store near my house that broke street date on Halo 3, and I'm sure they will for GTAIV too, but since I have the SE pre-ordered with Amazon, with next day air I'm going to have to wait on this one.[/quote]

Have you pre-ordered a videogame from Amazon before? I'm wondering if they arrive at your house on release day, or if they ship it to you on release day.

I'd very much like to NOT have to deal with the mall BS on this.

bread's done
Back