Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='woodcan']If you are going to down that path then they should also have licensed "Auto"s
:D[/quote]

I think that's a pretty fair point.

Grand Theft Auto, as a series, has really evolved past it's birthname.

I never have cared about the funky-looking hands on the characters in this series, and I'm not about to start caring about how the tires look on the vehicles.:D

[quote name='bmachine']What type of GTA player are you?

I'm somewhere between The Storyteller (even though I've never played more than 10 minutes of a J-RPG in my life) and The Accomplice.[/quote]
Which Accomplice? There's like ten of them...

I'd say, sadly, I'm the Completionist with an Accomplice side of Physicist/Joyrider.

fucking ambulance missions indeed.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']100% no pun intended, but anyone see the irony here?

gta4_launch_center_medrec.jpg

from ign.[/quote]

I guess they have to make an ad somewhere.

I was listening to a podcast a few weeks ago and they actually said that the opening of Iron Man would actually struggle because of the release of GTA. It's gotten to the point where the game industry is now getting as big (or bigger) than film.

IMO though I would have to say it's partly due to the fact that SO MANY people sit at home and download bootlegs of movies and watch them for free. as well

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']100% no pun intended, but anyone see the irony here?

gta4_launch_center_medrec.jpg

from ign.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying really hard to see the irony and/or the pun here. Little help?

[quote name='doctorfaustus']I'm trying really hard to see the irony and/or the pun here. Little help?[/QUOTE]

Iron..y... ugh.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']I'm trying really hard to see the irony and/or the pun here. Little help?[/QUOTE]

There was an article on (I think) IGN that stated Iron Man is going to have a hard time on opening day due to GTA4 and I guess people wanting to play GTA4 then go see Iron Man. And in that ad, the GTA4 ad is sponsored by Iron Man. So it's kind of like Iron Man wants to have a success on their opening day, but at the same time they are promoting their enemy.

Get it?

I just today got a package in the mail from Rockstar, but I have no idea what it's for.
Included a "Liberty City Swingers" baseball shirt/hat and some stickers.

Was there a contest a while back or something?

[quote name='RiCeBo1']There was an article on (I think) IGN that stated Iron Man is going to have a hard time on opening day due to GTA4 and I guess people wanting to play GTA4 then go see Iron Man. And in that ad, the GTA4 ad is sponsored by Iron Man. So it's kind of like Iron Man wants to have a success on their opening day, but at the same time they are promoting their enemy.

Get it?[/quote]

Rockstar is launching their game, and Ironman launches (takes off from the ground).

And yes, I do believe I signed up for that Swingers t-shirt from some contest on this site.

[quote name='insertcleverthing']Which Accomplice? There's like ten of them...

I'd say, sadly, I'm the Completionist with an Accomplice side of Physicist/Joyrider.

fucking ambulance missions indeed.[/quote]

A mix of The Physicist, The David Koresh and The Joyrider.

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']I just today got a package in the mail from Rockstar, but I have no idea what it's for.
Included a "Liberty City Swingers" baseball shirt/hat and some stickers.

Was there a contest a while back or something?[/QUOTE]

Yeah there was. Nice job dude... I don't think they gave away too many of those.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Rumors are out now that the DLC for 360 only is actually an entirely new city (or two).

http://kotaku.com/380938/grand-theft-auto-iv-dlc-to-bring-whole-cities

Starting to feel sorry for the people that chose the PS3 over the 360. If true, that's painful for them.

Not surprising though, Microsoft paid more than most games cost for the DLC, it should be essentially "a new game".[/QUOTE]

Wow. Looks like I'll stick to the 360 version. You better not RROD on me!

I dunno', that's pretty specious.

Consider how much work went into Liberty City. Can you see them throwing in one, or even two, more?

What would be the advantage in making new cities rather than adding to the already very detailed one they worked so hard on?

I'm sure the additional content will be great, it's just that making brand new cities for it seems to defeat the purpose of an expansion, doesn't it? To get more life out of the existing world?

[quote name='zengonzo']I dunno', that's pretty specious.

Consider how much work went into Liberty City. Can you see them throwing in one, or even two, more?

What would be the advantage in making new cities rather than adding to the already very detailed one they worked so hard on?

I'm sure the additional content will be great, it's just that making brand new cities for it seems to defeat the purpose of an expansion, doesn't it? To get more life out of the existing world?[/QUOTE]The Kotaku story makes it sound like Rockstar is floating this rumor out there themselves. Even if this didn't come from Rockstar, it seems to me that they'd be really quick to squash the rumor if it weren't true. I mean, if you have people getting all excited about the idea of getting a whole new city (or two) to explore in your DLC, it's going to be a pretty big letdown when you announce "Ummm.....well, no, but here are some new missions."

If this rumor hasn't been shot down by this weekend, I'm going to just go ahead and assume it's true. If this gets confirmed, I'd like to know how much they'll be charging for it. I'd be buying it day one pretty much regardless, but I'd like to know.

[quote name='zengonzo']I dunno', that's pretty specious.

I'm sure the additional content will be great, it's just that making brand new cities for it seems to defeat the purpose of an expansion, doesn't it? To get more life out of the existing world?[/QUOTE]

I have to say it's pretty likely. Most of the "tough work" in making a game is the controls, animations, AI, getting everything to meld together to feel tight. So a new city would mostly be art. Most of the work going into the missions/story. This is how Epic is able to push out Gears of War 2 so quickly. Most of the hard work is done. Once your development tools are made, and gameplay is done, pushing out art and story are not difficult.

Microsoft tried VERY hard to secure exclusivity on GTA4. Since they couldn't, and rumors have it that they paid 25-50 million bucks for exclusive DLC, the DLC better be better than pretty much any DLC ever seen yet. Like I said, that exceeds the budget of nearly every video game itself.

Keep in mind, that if MS paid that much money for this DLC, then they must have thought it would sell better than 3-4 retail games could.

I suppose you guys make good points, it just seems strange to me to have DLC content and make it additional cities. I realize they made it known it would be more than mere add-ons, it still just sounds like an ineffective use of resources.

I imagined it more like Mass Effect's, just on a larger scale. Take advantage of the huge city you already have. Expand the guns, clothing, NPCs ..

Anyhow, I'll doubtless be getting them, and the more stuff the better. They said they'd make it worth the money ..

Twelve days!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Meh...the faceplate sucks...[/quote]

I think that's pretty hot, actually. To each his own. Too bad all of the Game Crazy stores around me shutdown.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']the social club is live!

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/

register damn it.

also, using the in-game zit service you'll be able to do that download stuff on amazon. side note on that is that you can most likely use Pepsi caps as a way to get the music since amazon's mp3 service works with using pepsi caps as well.[/quote]

The Social Club looks like it has a lot of potential behind the game. I can't wait to see more of what they do with it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']there will be heatmaps of where the most crimes are in single player on the social club site...[/QUOTE]

That is awesome.

On GameStop's listing for the game about street date delivery, this made me laugh.

Offer void if you are unable to accept a delivery that was attempted. Not responsible for orders delayed due to incorrect address, credit card information, inclement weather or the delivery driver's truck getting stolen.

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']On GameStop's listing for the game about street date delivery, this made me laugh.[/QUOTE]

Haha. That is priceless. Thanks for the laugh!

^
awesome sense of humor for gs.

GTA4 is estimated to make ~$400m opening weekend which is a little over 6.5m copies sold.

Man thats a lot of people terrorizing Liberty City opening weekend. I highly doubt the game will be hard to find on store shelves.

^
have you tried right clicking and selecting "show all" might have zoomed in on the flash.

edit: whats the social club all about. I signed up but not quite sure how it relates to the game....is it just a place for rockstar to have a leaderboard & special events?

[quote name='naiku']^
have you tried right clicking and selecting "show all" might have zoomed in on the flash.

edit: whats the social club all about. I signed up but not quite sure how it relates to the game....is it just a place for rockstar to have a leaderboard & special events?[/quote]

Yeah pretty much...your stats will update to your social club when you play the game and you can compare with friends...there will be contests like the first people who reach 1000pts (achievements) will get a special Key to the city...plus other stuff that hasn't been announced.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']The Social Club doesn't seem to load correctly on Firefox.[/quote]

It doesn't work for me either on Firefox. No biggie, I'll register through IE instead.

Not sure if this qualifies as a spoiler or if it's common knowledge at this point, but I'll hide the details just to be safe:

Apparently there's a
comedy club
in Liberty City where you can go to see
Ricky Gervais perform some new material
. Amazingly cool.

bread's done
Back