Halo: Reach

I think the grenades are still being overused and overly relied on. People will throw both their grenades before they even start shooting, and the grenades being as powerful as thy are is ridic.

I actually like SWAT more than any other game type, probably cuz I'm good at it and I'm just kinda good at regular Slayer Pro/Slayer DMR because of the shields.

I don't know why but whenever I pop someone's shield with DMR I can never finish them off because they always run away, it's like the back of their head is super armored.

The friendly AI sucks as someone mentioned previously, sucks is an understatement too, especially when you're playing on Legendary.

The respawns OMG they suck I've lost track of how many times it's spawned me with an enemy or a whole enemy team looking dead at me, sucks even more in SWAT as soon as I spawn I'm dead again.

I made a thread about the spawns on Bungie and it of course got buried by all the dumbass bullshit threads "OMG What amror u usnig?!?!" "How many curdits u guise has?!?!" and the people that did post in it basically told me I was crazy.

[quote name='pyoobez']
And I refuse to boot anyone unless it becomes blatantly obvious they're trying to f me or my team over. I've played too much L4D and L4D2 to realize it's usually both guy's fault as it's limited vision compared to real life and the corner of your eye.[/QUOTE]

I am the same way. Like another said, Rocketfight is near impossible to go through without team killing someone at least once.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Today i started to feel like im already getting tired of this game. LOL. Mainly because so many times tonight i felt i shot a dude long enough to kill them and they dont die. Or even in swat where i shoot someone in the face and they dont die. When i look at my connection it says i dont lose any packets, but my upload is bad. I dont know if that makes that big of a difference. Also im kinda getting tired of some of these maps. Mainly the ones that look like they made them in forge. [/QUOTE]

I kind of feel the same way. How many Halo games is the one Halo 2 map going to appear in :roll:. In addition, maybe I am just not as good of a Halo player as most but how are people hitting these amazing head shots from across the map while I am moving? It seems all the head shots I hit only take down the shield and I have to shoot again. Note I didn't play Halo 3 hardly at all online.

[quote name='life.exe']It is only one round when you are in matchmaking, they knew people wouldn't stick around for two hours playing the same thing and thus shortened it for MM. You can do it however long you want in the Firefight mode[/QUOTE]

Personally, I wish they would have kept Firefight the same. Hopefully, in some patch they can have a play type for FULL Firefight vs ONE ROUND Firefight.

I haven't touched the competitive MP yet, as I am not a huge MP guy, but so far, I am having a good time with the single player and coop. I went from having no interest in this game, to getting sucked into buying it by nagging friends and the nice gift card options available for buying the game on release week. I am seriously glad I did, as this may be the most fun I have had with Halo since the original.

I know I am not hardcore like many, so I am sure there are many faults that I have not encountered, but for a casual Halo player, so far Reach has been worth the investment.

[quote name='timesplitt']the quit ban (and betraying ban) (it not my fault you walked right in front of my warthog or my grenade)
the shitty maps
the repetitive forge world (size isnt everything)
people choosing snipers (needs own playlist)
the AI.. (stop shooting the rocks KAT)

end rant[/QUOTE]
I love ForgeWorld, the maps are all great, bans are great, haven't ran into snipers yet, and why would you let the AI on the turret?

speaking of bad AI, i cant believe how bad the AI is driving the warthog. its astonishing that bungie couldnt make them drive any better.

I actually don't think the driving AI is that bad compared to the other Halo games. As long as I made sure that they had a clear path my AI drivers would drive me straight to wherever I needed to go.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Is it just me or do you people find that your spending as much time on firefight than normal deathmatch matchmaking ?[/QUOTE]

You aren't the only one!

Also, I think they will probably expand the FF playlist at some point to give the option of making games longer.

If any of you that are addicted to FF like me want to get a non-matchmaking version going, one that doesn't end after one set, add me and lets get it.

I wish they would have a separate list just for infection. I love it, but i hate having to go into rumble pit and HOPEFULLY having people vote for it

[quote name='JoeFlacco4God']You aren't the only one!

Also, I think they will probably expand the FF playlist at some point to give the option of making games longer.

If any of you that are addicted to FF like me want to get a non-matchmaking version going, one that doesn't end after one set, add me and lets get it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. They really need to expand the matchmaking Firefight to something other than 1 round, infinite lives etc.

Really wish they'd make it like Horde mode in gears with 50 waves to get through, achievements for doing different maps etc.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I wish they would have a separate list just for infection. I love it, but i hate having to go into rumble pit and HOPEFULLY having people vote for it[/QUOTE]
You have to hope for people to vote for it? Every single match I've played where Infection's been a choice everyone chooses it. I have played tons and tooooons of infection.

[quote name='MtlTom']

2) Do you only earn credits in Campaign when scoring is turned on? I played through mission 3 and turned scoring on and got a ton of credits. Unfortunately when I turned it on, the difficulty got knocked down to Normal when I was playing on Heroic. I went back & played the mission on Heroic today (offline mind you) and got practically nothing for credits. I'm trying to figure out if it's because I was offline, score was off, I didn't get any commendations, or a combination of all of those. [/QUOTE]

You may be right, although I'm not even sure they gave me points for the commendations or challenges I completed when scoring was off. I'm guessing they added them while I was still playing, but when it showed the credit summary at the end, I got zero credits.

Played a ton of multiplayer last night, and stockpile is easily my favorite game so far. I love it on either Asylum (which I didn't realize was a Sanctuary remake from Halo 2), and Reflection.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I love ForgeWorld, the maps are all great, bans are great, haven't ran into snipers yet, and why would you let the AI on the turret?[/QUOTE]

I don't like the bans. Hasn't happened to me yet, but we had issues with randoms on our team of cags getting betrayed accidentally in invasion and booting one of our party members etc. Then you're down a man and have to back out and pick them up again etc.

It just needs adjusted to not pop up until 2 or 3 team kills so people don't get booted from an accidental team kill from a grenade etc.

I've never played much multiplayer on Halo, shocking I know. But is the consensus that its better than Modern Warfare, because to me MW is far better, at least from a strategic point of view.

[quote name='bsesb2003']I've never played much multiplayer on Halo, shocking I know. But is the consensus that its better than Modern Warfare, because to me MW is far better, at least from a strategic point of view.[/QUOTE]

There's no consensus. Both a pretty different and have their own huge bases of die hard fans.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't like the bans. Hasn't happened to me yet, but we had issues with randoms on our team of cags getting betrayed accidentally in invasion and booting one of our party members etc. Then you're down a man and have to back out and pick them up again etc.

It just needs adjusted to not pop up until 2 or 3 team kills so people don't get booted from an accidental team kill from a grenade etc.[/QUOTE]

Amen. After I had told a friend of mine how ridiculous the booting was in Firefight (especially when the victim is to blame for their death) he later betrayed me by accident. I didn't think much of it as the game already ended but it still insisted on booting him immediately afterward automatically. I never had a chance to forgive him because he was already gone.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Is it normal for everyone that your Spartan armor doesn't update on Bungie.net? I still have the Default Noble 6 in black.[/QUOTE]

Mine is default too.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']You have to hope for people to vote for it? Every single match I've played where Infection's been a choice everyone chooses it. I have played tons and tooooons of infection.[/QUOTE]

Every time I play Rumble Pit, everybody votes for Pro Slayer. Your a lucky one. I think I have maybe played 2 games of it so far.

My armor is updated on bungie.net. Sexy female Spartan with red and yellow armor. I probably won't keep it that way, but it shows up just fine.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Every time I play Rumble Pit, everybody votes for Pro Slayer. Your a lucky one. I think I have maybe played 2 games of it so far.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they really need a Slayer only playlist with the various slayer modes. Make rumble pit all the other free for all modes.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, they really need a Slayer only playlist with the various slayer modes. Make rumble pit all the other free for all modes.[/QUOTE]

That's what Arena is supposed to be, but lots of people are too scared to go into there so they flood the regular modes with Slayer when those options come up.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Amen. After I had told a friend of mine how ridiculous the booting was in Firefight (especially when the victim is to blame for their death) he later betrayed me by accident. I didn't think much of it as the game already ended but it still insisted on booting him immediately afterward automatically. I never had a chance to forgive him because he was already gone.[/QUOTE]

If they betray someone 3 times in the same game, it's an auto boot. Same amount as the hardcore modes on CoD: WatW and MW2.

The worst was MW 1 and (WatW before the first patch.) You couldn't play the hardcore modes (only modes you can damage your own team) because people would just blow up their own team at the beginning for fun. I loved hearing Keifer Sutherland's line when a team killer got booted.

Unfortunately you can't expect a game to realize the difference between 3 accidental betrayals and 3 intentional ones. If it does, then we all better become John Connor because the machines have won. :)

[quote name='dmaul1114']There's no consensus. Both a pretty different and have their own huge bases of die hard fans.[/QUOTE]

VERY different playstyles. Halo is more of a give-and-go with close-long range combat while the CoD series is more about mid-long range combat, and some people running around knifing people because of the perks. Generally if you can accurately shoot a gun and survive to get in close to melee, you'll do fine accept against really good players, or players with a plasma sword (and you don't have a shotgun.)

To me there's more annoying 10-year olds on Halo and more annoying 16-18 year olds on CoD. To put it in TCG terms, Halo is Pokemon/Yugioh and CoD is Magic (except Halo has a bigger Pro Circuit in real life) but the analogy fits in general playing terms.

Of course Battlefield is VS. System. :)

[quote name='MSUHitman']If they betray someone 3 times in the same game, it's an auto boot. Same amount as the hardcore modes on CoD: WatW and MW2.

The worst was MW 1 and (WatW before the first patch.) You couldn't play the hardcore modes (only modes you can damage your own team) because people would just blow up their own team at the beginning for fun. I loved hearing Keifer Sutherland's line when a team killer got booted.

Unfortunately you can't expect a game to realize the difference between 3 accidental betrayals and 3 intentional ones. If it does, then we all better become John Connor because the machines have won. :)[/QUOTE]

We both played the entire game without a betrayal up until that point. I'm sure the game is still stored on my temp history though so I'm might as well watch it to make sure I'm not mistaken.

[quote name='MSUHitman']VERY different playstyles. Halo is more of a give-and-go with close-long range combat while the CoD series is more about mid-long range combat, and some people running around knifing people because of the perks. Generally if you can accurately shoot a gun and survive to get in close to melee, you'll do fine accept against really good players, or players with a plasma sword (and you don't have a shotgun.)

To me there's more annoying 10-year olds on Halo and more annoying 16-18 year olds on CoD. To put it in TCG terms, Halo is Pokemon/Yugioh and CoD is Magic (except Halo has a bigger Pro Circuit in real life) but the analogy fits in general playing terms.

Of course Battlefield is VS. System. :)[/QUOTE]

Good comparison.

I prefer the Halo style a bit myself. My aiming is just very poor which really hurts me at COD with it's mid to long range combat.

Halo I can just shoot and melee people and not do too god awful. Though I still stink and seldom have a positive K/D ratio.

I also find that Halo is a lot less competitive at least in the sense of worrying about K/D ratio. The objective games in COD stink as too many people just go for kills rather than playing the games right. Halo seems more focused on just winning the objectives, and there's a lot more objective game types,/variants which is great since I'm not a big death match/slayer guy. Rather try to capture flags etc. and not worry about kills and deaths.

[quote name='MSUHitman']If they betray someone 3 times in the same game, it's an auto boot. Same amount as the hardcore modes on CoD: WatW and MW2.

Unfortunately you can't expect a game to realize the difference between 3 accidental betrayals and 3 intentional ones. If it does, then we all better become John Connor because the machines have won. :)[/QUOTE]

Ideal to me would be no auto boots, and have the option to forgive/boot come up after 2 or 3 betrayals. Most games you're not going to get more than one accidental betrayal anyway, so that would solve most of the problems we had last night with teammates getting booted by randoms.

[quote name='MSUHitman']To me there's more annoying 10-year olds on Halo and more annoying 16-18 year olds on CoD. To put it in TCG terms, Halo is Pokemon/Yugioh and CoD is Magic (except Halo has a bigger Pro Circuit in real life) but the analogy fits in general playing terms.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. I run into many more younger kids on Call of Duty than Halo.

I think it's the fact that Halo first got popular on consoles almost a decade ago, whereas Call of Duty really only just came to prominence on the 360 2-3 years ago. A lot of these younger players weren't old enough to even have a console in the Halo/Halo 2 days.

That being said, angry teenagers infatuated with swearing have never bothered me as much as they seem to most people. I usually find it pretty comical.

Finally got to play yesterday and finished campaign. It was up there with Halo CE's campaign but I was expecting larger scale battles. Bungie hyped it too much for me. The occasional frame rate drop was annoying too.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']bought it for campaign, but stayed for the mp. gets me every time.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I just started the campaign last night and it's freakin' sweet

Just chiming in on some of the talk a page or two back: after having a long convowith my friend on how DLC and re-releases of games pisses me off/makes me not want to buy new games for at least a year, I went into Reach saying I would just get all 1000 GS and sell it off while it was still worth money.

Then I played the multiplayer. It felt amazing; the first time I used the new Magnum pistol, I came (lolwut). But after really playing it a ton after it's been out (at least 4 hours a day), I'm back to where I started.

The worst part is the maps; yes, the nostalgia was great the first time I replayed Ivory Tower, but now it's just annoying. I know there are around 8-10 maps in the game, but it really doesn't feel like it. I hate all the Forgeworld maps; half of them are old (Ascension, Blood Gulch), and they all have that same ugly blue steel and glass look. I've hated Powerhouse since the beta, and Swordbase is awesome, but it never comes up (and if it does, it never gets votes). I'm forgetting the names of the other two newer ones, but I do like one of them (the bigger, outdoor one with a snipe base in back and rockets in the underbelly), and I'm not a fan of the other (indoor map with three levels and an outside balcony). Oh, I forgot about Zealot; I like that one too, but again, it never shows up, or gets voted for when it does.

I'm going to give it another week, but I doubt I'll change my mind, and I'd rather sell if off now for $45 than keep it rather than sink a bunch of money into the map packs, only to see some form of the game come out that has them all, and at a cheaper price.

Also, where the fuck is Lone Wolves?

Originally Posted by Mospeada_21
bought it for campaign, but stayed for the mp. gets me every time.
[quote name='ReportAGamer']I totally agree. I just started the campaign last night and it's freakin' sweet[/QUOTE]

ditto and glad I can finally enjoy multiplayer. Wish I would have gotten internet (good enough for online fps action) when I got Call of Duty 4 or MW2.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, they really need a Slayer only playlist with the various slayer modes. Make rumble pit all the other free for all modes.[/QUOTE]

Since they dont have to worry about Ranked and Unranked versions of the same playlist that should really open up room for more variety. Alot of these modes shouldnt be lumped together.

I may be in the minority given that I never played Halo 1 multi and barely touched Halo 2 multi, but nothing beats the ODST pistol to me. This new one is pretty good, leagues better than the Halo 3 pistol, but I'm just an ODST fanboy I guess.

lolwut you should go into the slayer pit hopper. 75-90% of the matches that come up there are free-for-all game types.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I may be in the minority given that I never played Halo 1 multi and barely touched Halo 2 multi, but nothing beats the ODST pistol to me. This new one is pretty good, leagues better than the Halo 3 pistol, but I'm just an ODST fanboy I guess.

lolwut you should go into the slayer pit hopper. 75-90% of the matches that come up there are free-for-all game types.[/QUOTE]

The Halo 1 pistol was by far the best in the series. Halo 2's was great when dual-wielding before it was patched. ODST's could have been better than Halo 3's I guess, but would have been complete crap in multiplayer.

[quote name='Trakan']The Halo 1 pistol was by far the best in the series. Halo 2's was great when dual-wielding before it was patched. ODST's could have been better than Halo 3's I guess, but would have been complete crap in multiplayer.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you could cover all of Blood Gulch with the pistol. That gun was beastly.

When you complete the campaign, can you go back to any level for achievements?

Also do you think heroic difficulty is too hard for one person? I was thinking of doing it for the weekly challenge, and some of the new daily challenges.

Love my new avatar... Gears of Halo :)

[quote name='The 7th Number']When you complete the campaign, can you go back to any level for achievements?

Also do you think heroic difficulty is too hard for one person? I was thinking of doing it for the weekly challenge, and some of the new daily challenges.[/QUOTE]
Naw, it's not too challenging. Definitely a bitch at some parts, though. That's how I went through on my first playthrough. It's hard, but rewarding in the end.

Trying on Legendary now. This is going to be near impossible. But I did manage to clear the first level without dying and unlock the Carter helmet for my avatar :)

I've been playing the game since launch but only in multiplayer. I really like the game and but it has some flaws. First of all the spawning is not as good as in the BETA, at least for me it isn't. I have been in games where I will spawn in between 3 people and get assassinated instantly. I was just playing a game of invasion and my teammate had a helicopter so I thought I could spawn on it but no I didn't. I spawned in mid air and committed SUICIDE, next time I look away for a few seconds and when i look back at the TV I am falling in mid air again WTF! I also hate it when ass holes in my team melee me and I fall of the ledge in Spire. I like to play Invasion Slayer but people are always killing their team mates in order to get the damn weapons that are about to pop out. There are a lot of things that need to come in a game update and the sooner the better. I don't fault Bungie that much because even tho the had a huge Beta there is a lot more people playing the full version.

[quote name='The 7th Number']When you complete the campaign, can you go back to any level for achievements?

Also do you think heroic difficulty is too hard for one person? I was thinking of doing it for the weekly challenge, and some of the new daily challenges.

Love my new avatar... Gears of Halo :)

[/QUOTE]

You can do Heroic alone, and probably in one sitting. I only had trouble on a few later missions. Not looking forward to Legendary, since I suck at that difficulty.

And like others have said, you can reload missions (even mid-mission) for achievements

[quote name='reddjoey']You can do Heroic alone, and probably in one sitting. I only had trouble on a few later missions. Not looking forward to Legendary, since I suck at that difficulty.

And like others have said, you can reload missions (even mid-mission) for achievements[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the last mission is a bitch on heroic. Can't imagine how long it'll take me alone on legendary. Feels good to complete my first Halo game solo on something other than normal.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Yeah, the last mission is a bitch on heroic. Can't imagine how long it'll take me alone on legendary. Feels good to complete my first Halo game solo on something other than normal.[/QUOTE]

There is an easy way.... not very prideful, but it works. Not sure about getting there, especially leading up to it.

MEGA SPOILER - CONTAINING END GAME DISCUSSION - DON'T CLICK
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
If you are dying a lot and stuck in what seems like a bad checkpoint:

Claer out the Zealots if you can (if you can avoid them draining your life that works too) and hide behind the rail on the stairwell behind the Mac Cannon. Wait for Keys to tell you to take the shot and they run up and BLAM!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the weekly campaign challenge is online only? It says complete 9 campaign missions on heroic. I started a new game on heroic and it is faded out and says This challenge cannot be completed currently.

bread's done
Back