Lost Planet - Discussion and Hype Thread - UPDATE: Map Pack #3 Free Aug. 16th.

I just got it and am only in the first mission. Because it's so short I decided to try playing on hard. Starting to regret it now. Seems like most of the difficulty increase is just making your energy run out a lot faster. And if it's as hectic towards the end as I heard then maybe I'll start over.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I just got it and am only in the first mission. Because it's so short I decided to try playing on hard. Starting to regret it now. Seems like most of the difficulty increase is just making your energy run out a lot faster. And if it's as hectic towards the end as I heard then maybe I'll start over.[/QUOTE]

it's insanely hectic once you get past level 4... in fact, I almost did put it on hard but realized I made the right choice once things got crazy.

[quote name='coolieman2001']I just completed the second level. I'am enjoying it. The story is ho hum so far. I hope it gets better.[/quote]

From what I've read in reviews I would suggest that you refrain from holding your breath.

Just got past level 4 on hard...spent about 2.5 hours on the level 4 boss.

I'm hearing there is no achievement for playing through on hard...might as well have done it on normal since it unlocks extreme difficulty either way.

Starting to regret it, the energy drain is pretty annoying.

[quote name='JDMxB']Just got past level 4 on hard...spent about 2.5 hours on the level 4 boss.

I'm hearing there is no achievement for playing through on hard...might as well have done it on normal since it unlocks extreme difficulty either way.

Starting to regret it, the energy drain is pretty annoying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm having issues with the difficulty levels. I started it last night on Hard, played through the first level, died a couple of times before getting to the Boss, that rolling beetle thingy you have to shoot in its glowing tail. I then got stomped by the Boss (and his two buddies) about ten times, so I figured I should switch to Normal difficulty. So I played through the level again on Normal and it was just too easy, and this time the Boss didn't have his two sidekicks, and there were two VS suits you could use to beat him, I whupped him on the first try. I need another difficulty setting that's somewhere between Normal and Hard.
And yeah, the energy drain is ridiculous on Hard...I like to take in the sights, explore for hidden weapons and energy, and I'm looking for those medals you have to get for the achievements...you can't do any of that on Hard, you gotta keep moving and picking up energy constantly or you're dead.

Man I have spent an hour on the mission 1 boss in the cave on hard and can't do it. Has anyone beaten mission 1 on hard? Man that energy drain sucks balls.

I really think they should have changed the rate your energy drains depending on the environment you are in.

I think the only time online is really good is when it's Elimination with Rocket Launchers.

[quote name='Brak']I think the only time online is really good is when it's Elimination with Rocket Launchers.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that shit's fun.

I knew i'd cave and 2for1 for the collector's edition of Lost Planet. Damn. Looks nice. Can't wait for Tuesday when I get my 360 back.

I'm pretty far in the game and damn... it's insanely crazy... sometimes it's so hectic I just forget to shoot and steer clear of enemies. Reminds me of a 3D version of Metal Slug's action.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Man I have spent an hour on the mission 1 boss in the cave on hard and can't do it. Has anyone beaten mission 1 on hard? Man that energy drain sucks balls.

I really think they should have changed the rate your energy drains depending on the environment you are in.[/QUOTE]

It makes things easier if you have the shotty from the get go--take out the two rollers with shotgun blasts up close on the tail, then constantly circle the boss so you are heading towards its tail. When you see it ball up to roll, hit it with a rocket/grenade to buy you some time and a free shot at its tail. Rinse and repeat.

[quote name='zewone']Semi-spoiler:

ending is fucking terrible
[/QUOTE]
S'aright. You could tell since the
"story" is fucking terrible. ;)

Finally got some decent games going online after my early disconnect-fest.

Hopefully they "Update" again soon to fix some network issues and maybe speed up the searching. And perhaps make it so "you've been killed by" doesn't sometimes vanish before it even pops up on my screen. Half the time I am convinced someone accross the map died and somehow the game thinks I did too.

It somewhat feels very tribes-esque in nature at times, and most of the maps are the appropriate size with the exception of that damn wasteland one.

just rented this game and tried to play some 2 player over live with a friends, but was very disappointed to find out it was only single player. So, we just took turns. After about 10 minutes we finally understood what the hell to do, and it got really fun. The camer system/reloading are really annoying though.

I havenn't played single player yet, but plan on doing that later

Couple questions about online play.

In fugitive, does the host have any advantage, or is it just x amount of people vs 1?

In team elemination, any point to taking over those beacon points on the map? Is that how you win? Oh I'm so confused.

[quote name='seanr1221']Couple questions about online play.

In fugitive, does the host have any advantage, or is it just x amount of people vs 1?

In team elemination, any point to taking over those beacon points on the map? Is that how you win? Oh I'm so confused.[/QUOTE]
I was wondering the same things.

I think the multi-player's biggest set-back is how fucking confusing it is -- and not necessarily in the game modes, but in the sense of "WHAT THE fuck IS GOING ON!?", "WHY THE fuck ISN'T HE DEAD!?" and "WHO THE fuck KILLED ME!?"

[quote name='Brak']I was wondering the same things.

I think the multi-player's biggest set-back is how fucking confusing it is -- and not necessarily in the game modes, but in the sense of "WHAT THE fuck IS GOING ON!?", "WHY THE fuck ISN'T HE DEAD!?" and "WHO THE fuck KILLED ME!?"[/QUOTE]

As someone who played the shit out of the demo, things start to make sense really fast. After 3-4 online matches you should get a pretty good idea of what to do.

Yeah, the online takes some time to sink in but once everything sets in it's very enjoyable.

as for the story, it dosn't suck that horribly. The story was good, but it was based off too many vague ideas. plus
did wayne die? I could have sworn that it was a hologram since the girl tossed a holo cube down... from what I'm guessing though is that it's just an amnesia-ed wayne showing up

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
did wayne die? I could have sworn that it was a hologram since the girl tossed a holo cube down... from what I'm guessing though is that it's just an amnesia-ed wayne showing up
[/QUOTE]
I have no idea, all I know is it was fucking ridiculous.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm pretty far in the game and damn... it's insanely crazy... sometimes it's so hectic I just forget to shoot and steer clear of enemies. Reminds me of a 3D version of Metal Slug's action.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I started the game up last night. The difficulty select screen popped up, and I started to hit normal, then I thought "wait a minute...this is a Capcom game.." - Easy. ;) Yea, I suck - but I won't be throwing things at the TV this way. :p

I rented this yesterday and I'm not overly impressed. I played through Mission 1 then shut it down. Just felt "slow" to me....but it was ok. I may eventually pick it up. Online Icouldn't find a match so I gave up.

i've played both demos before..single player was fun, disappointed in multi player..did they improve on it? also how many multiplayer maps/levels are there?

The single player to me is alright but i'm only at the 3rd mission and the multiplayer so far is a mixed bag. I've never shot someone so many times and not have them die. I might just beat the single player and off back to Rainbow six.

Maybe I am missing something so I might as well ask the dumb question.

I could have sworn Capcom made a statement saying they would not make the same mistake they did in dead rising, and fix the text size issue on standard def televisions. Well I doubt anyone playing in standard, unless they have a really large tv, can read the score numbers in multiplayer.

So is there an option in settings I am not seeing, or did they just decide to screw that plan?

[quote name='Surferflames']

I could have sworn Capcom made a statement saying they would not make the same mistake they did in dead rising, and fix the text size issue on standard def televisions.[/QUOTE]

hmm, it ran an update when i signed onto live - did you get that yet?

haven't played this online yet but i'm on mission 9 now and this game is fucking epic. i was kind of bored with it around mission 3 but somewhere, it just really picked up. i love mission 6 where it's just the huge snowy landscape and aliens pop up everywhere. i spent almost an hour just running around tearing shit up.

and god... those explosions are so gorgeous ^_^

holy smokes.. I had wishlisted a used copy of it at GameCrazy and someone already traded it in.. too bad I 2for1'd and got it at Rhino.. but good god, that was fast. :cold: (get it? cause its cold on the planet..)

[quote name='Narbotic']hmm, it ran an update when i signed onto live - did you get that yet?[/quote]

Yes, and everything is for the most part legible with the exception of the score in multi and some of the SP text.

I just beat the first mission and so far I am liking the game. The first mission was over pretty fast, so I'm hoping this isn't an on-going trend in the game.

I really wish there was a way to roll with your character. Not being able to roll or even run faster, makes the game feel so sluggish.

[quote name='asianxcore']I just beat the first mission and so far I am liking the game. The first mission was over pretty fast, so I'm hoping this isn't an on-going trend in the game.

I really wish there was a way to roll with your character. Not being able to roll or even run faster, makes the game feel so sluggish.[/QUOTE]

You can roll. Hit A while clicking the analog stick in the direction you want to go allows you to roll out of the way... so it's extremely helpful.

The thing I'm pissed about is tha people are assuming a majority of the game plays like the first 3 levels... it's when you hit the 4th level and with that the insanity and "omfg wtf is going on too many bullets I can't feel my leg!" sets in. The first levels bore the hell out of me after playing the later missions.

ie. Game < Level 4 = Slow... so so.... Game >= Level 4 = I wish there were more Shooters this Crazy.

[quote name='Kayden']You don't need a story to kill things![/QUOTE]

:whistle2:k come to think of it, this raises an important question-- are videogame stories just a formality? :lol:

[quote name='Chacrana']You can roll. Hit A while clicking the analog stick in the direction you want to go allows you to roll out of the way... so it's extremely helpful.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a bunch. That's what I get for not reading the instruction manual :)

Rolento, I'm glad that the 4th mission was such a change from the first 3. I just beat the 4th mission and it was definitely a whole lot of fun. The boss at the end of it, was pretty crazy.

Also does anyone know how to get the "Giant Worm" achievement? Do I just have to keep shooting it's sides.....and how many times?

[quote name='asianxcore']Thanks a bunch. That's what I get for not reading the instruction manual :)

Rolento, I'm glad that the 4th mission was such a change from the first 3. I just beat the 4th mission and it was definitely a whole lot of fun. The boss at the end of it, was pretty crazy.

Also does anyone know how to get the "Giant Worm" achievement? Do I just have to keep shooting it's sides.....and how many times?[/QUOTE]

Giant Worm: just shoot the hell out of it (don't have to hit the sides it to hurt it)... when you see it come out and fall and the music stops, you killed it. Move ahead to the end boss (don't worry if you see the worm again, it's a different one) and complete the level (don't worry if you have to restart... as long as you get to the cutscene before the last boss). Beat the level and you got it... easy peasy. Also, in level 5, try to kill the moth at the top of the beginning of the level... it's an easy 50 points.

[quote name='asianxcore']
Also does anyone know how to get the "Giant Worm" achievement? Do I just have to keep shooting it's sides.....and how many times?[/QUOTE]
You have to kill the worm instead of running away. You blow up about 6 or 8 of the glowing bubbles on his side. You know that right after you kill it, another one spawns and you have to beat the mission for the achievement to unlock.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Also, in level 5, try to kill the moth at the top of the beginning of the level... it's an easy 50 points.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I went ahead and did that before I went further in Mission 5.

I'll probably try my hand at killing the Giant Worm sometime soon.

Anyone picking up the LE version of this game? I like metal cases and the extras sound nice. I also got an extra $20 floating around that I wouldn't mind using on this.

bread's done
Back