Madden 11 League-OFFICIAL CAG LEAGUE-That's all folks! Mini-tourney still coming tho!

[quote name='ubernes']I had a similar problem with Clark, though not a 300+ yard problem when I played vs Darth yesterday with random teams. LBs can't keep up with him and if he gets into the open field even the Cardinals DBs couldn't catch the guy. So you have to adjust your gameplan a bit.

As for the defense being bad in this game. While I agree the CPU does some terrible things and that there are many more home run plays in this game than in year's past, I really think your defense is only as bad as you play with them. No offense to anyone out there. I just still haven't played a 50-70 point game. My highest score game was yesterday at something like 38-35 and I was like 'wow, that was a doozy'. Can't imagine doubling that.[/QUOTE]

The problem with defense is not just the scores. You are thinking about it the wrong way. The problem with madden defense is there is no way for them to dictate what they want to do and play to their advantages. You can only react to what the offense does. 90% of the time you are not actually stopping the offense...the offense is for whatever reason just not connecting.

There is no way to say, lets go after their rookie LG. No way to take advantage of the fact that March Sanchez cant read blind side routes. There is no way to funnel passes towards Ed Reed by calling combo blitzes and drop coverages. The 3-4 is rendered useless as there still isnt a true double team by the line.

And thats all game planning issues not even talking about the actually exploits for Slant Routes, Crossing routes, the lack of consecutive hit tackles which leads to plays gaining 4-10 yards more than they should. Hell ramses just confirmed my thoughts because when I first looked at that my thought was...a lot of slants or crossing routes. There are just a lot of minor things that together turn into something major.

Buuuuuuut anyway.

[quote name='bvharris']I think it's more about the pace of the game than anything. If both offenses are just airing it out non-stop, you're going to get scores like that. On the other hand, I drove to the goal line every time I had the ball in my game, and if you take away a goal-line fumble and the running out the clock at the end, I would have only had 35, scoring on EVERY drive. So it seems to me more like games which are high octane are going to end up with high scored, but it's perfectly possible to play realistic football games if you want.[/QUOTE]

For sure. But it's also that much easier to defend against a team that's just airing it out all the time. It's a little bit of both, and it's also tied to the somewhat randomness of the huge breakaway plays that seem more prevalent in this game. Not containing them in the first tackle or two is all the more dangerous.

[quote name='Soodmeg']The problem with defense is not just the scores. You are thinking about it the wrong way. The problem with madden defense is there is no way for them to dictate what they want to do and play to their advantages. You can only react to what the offense does. 90% of the time you are not actually stopping the offense...the offense is for whatever reason just not connecting.
[/QUOTE]

That's completely true. Really to me it's all about figuring out what kind of defense the opponent can't handle, it never can rise to the level of true matchup exploitation like you say. For example, some people can't handle the cover 2, so I'll just run that pretty much all the time until they show they can beat it.

As for offense, yeah slants, drags, and screens are overpowered, but I'd feel like I put myself at a disadvantage not using those plays. Slants in particular though seem to be connecting WAY more this year than they did last year.

[quote name='ubernes']For sure. But it's also that much easier to defend against a team that's just airing it out all the time. It's a little bit of both, and it's also tied to the somewhat randomness of the huge breakaway plays that seem more prevalent in this game. Not containing them in the first tackle or two is all the more dangerous.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I can attest to this. When I played the Chiefs I was bottling him up all game, but every single TD he scored (both the first game and the second) were on runs of 50+ which sprang from ridiculous broken tackles.

For my own part I guess my overall score line was lower because I focus on sustaining drives rather than going for the home run.

[quote name='venom']Sorry Ivan, My damn ride over there bailed on me. I'm 100% Definitely going to be over there tonight. I can't accept your request yet, it shows me online but that's my dad on my Xbox back home in Rhode Island. Haha.[/QUOTE]

No worries, I figured something like that happened. I'll be around tonight, so I'm sure we can get our game in then.

[quote name='bvharris']I think it's more about the pace of the game than anything. If both offenses are just airing it out non-stop, you're going to get scores like that. On the other hand, I drove to the goal line every time I had the ball in my game, and if you take away a goal-line fumble and the running out the clock at the end, I would have only had 35, scoring on EVERY drive. So it seems to me more like games which are high octane are going to end up with high scored, but it's perfectly possible to play realistic football games if you want.[/QUOTE]

Again this is not to anyone in particular.

That is extremely true and as I said yesterday makes the game very enjoyable but the problem is both players have to decide thats what they are going to do. It easy to say you want to play sim its harder to keep yourself from calling a crossing route when its 3rd and 6.

Cru and I played the best game ever when both of committed to not playing madden football and play sim football. There was probably a total of 2 crossing routes run and we both scored a decent amount of points. There are plenty of legit plays in the game...most people choose to ignore them because that RB screen is just to tempting for them not to run.

PA Reverse Bubble Screen for the WIN! (And I ganereentee 99% of madden players dont even know that play exist.)

[quote name='ubernes']I also have no idea how a slant route is being called an exploit...[/QUOTE]

It's not that it's an exploit, just that the defense in the game is not set up to handle it well. The success rate on those passes is way higher in Madden than it is in real life when defenses would be more able to compensate for it. There are NFL offenses which can slant and drag you to death all day (Tom Brady to Wes Welker comes to mind) but in Madden every team can do it.

[quote name='ubernes']I also have no idea how a slant route is being called an exploit...[/QUOTE]

Ehhhhh, Exploit I guess is the wrong term. I wouldnt even say its overpowered. I would simply say the defense isnt programmed to handle a simply route.

I dont want to get into a exploit shouting match. So I take that back.

I really don't have a problem with screens, slants, or drags. That's part of the game, and it sucks they're overpowered, but you've got to deal with it. If I were to change two things about the way Madden is played, they would be this (again, to no one in particular):

1) If you're going to run a RB screen, run it. But don't run 15 yards backwards with your QB first.

2) If you field a kickoff 8 yards deep in the endzone, take the knee. I know people think they're the bomb at returning kicks, but you look like a doofus when I tackle you at the 12. Real returners get benched for that. :D

See my thing is this...I got to the point this year where I am just sick to death of guarding against those routes. I simply cant handle spending 40 min thinking about how continuously stop the same 4 routes.

So now, I play a the #1 DB and try my best to dictate the offense like a defensive coordinator would. This leads me to loose a lot now and by big margins but let me tell you this. The feeling when I called a overload blitz towards the weak side and leave myself on a island with Calvin Johnson and stay with him after a double move for a INT......its 100x better than scoring 60 points a game running the same routes.

Seriously that PA Reverse Bubble Screen is ridunkulos. When I first ran that I let Young stand there for 3 seconds because even I had no idea who had the ball.

[quote name='Soodmeg']
Seriously that PA Reverse Bubble Screen is ridunkulos. When I first ran that I let Young stand there for 3 seconds because even I had no idea who had the ball.[/QUOTE]

I ran that play a few times last year when I was the Titans.

Usually when I'm practicing offline I'll go through the entire playbook and run every single play once to get a sense of them. Usually about 60-70% I can chuck out right away, but I agree with you that mixing it up is way more enjoyable. Though I'm sure everyone has those 1 or 2 "comfort food" plays that they call more than anything else, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Just a quick thought on the slant routes... the easiest way to defend them is to drop a DL into hook zone coverage...

I think the defense as a whole sucks... like someone pointed out, the defense is all about reaction to the offense. U cant rely on defense to win games for you like you could in the past. Having said that, i haven't had any serious games get unreasonable by sim standards.... there have been some impossible plays (Joe Flacco with a 60 yard rush after breakin 8-9 tackles before the line of scrimmage) but the scores have always been within the realm of real football. The Madden developers have their hands full for 12...

Dallas Clark's yardage totals in the game vs. the Texans are mostly because of just streaks going intermediate/deep passing up the middle (and of course, YAC!). The way the defense was set up the middle was WIDE open 90% of the time, sans 1 safety, and if the safety ran away from Clark, I exposed it. If he ran towards Clark, it would leave someone else open deep. He didn't correct it until late in the game, and by that time I had started going to other WRs.

I was also passing so much because I was playing from behind the entire game, and couldn't get the running game going AT ALL.

On the case of slant routes .. they are easy to stop as long as your LB or Safety doesn't blitz. The Quick Slants play is so simple to stop, and a lot of people just can't do it because all they know is BLITZ BLITZ BLITZ.

I'll be around in the next hour or so if anyone wants to get a scrim in. I prefer not to play someone I'm scheduled meet in the regular season. :) And I should warn you my internet has been crap the last day, but I'm hoping I can get some online games in the next couple days before it gets fixed.

[quote name='ubernes']I'll be around in the next hour or so if anyone wants to get a scrim in. I prefer not to play someone I'm scheduled meet in the regular season. :) And I should warn you my internet has been crap the last day, but I'm hoping I can get some online games in the next couple days before it gets fixed.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe I play you this year, so if you're still on when I get home from work (probably 5 or a little before) than I'd be willing to get a scrim in.

I was also one of those people who thought defense was virtually non-existent in this year's Madden...until I had to play BigAT's Giants. That game was brutal, I feel like no one was ever open. I know BigAT is known for his amazing defense though, I think we got to week 9 or something last season before he allowed his first offensive touchdown. So I guess it's definitely possible to play solid defense in this game...I just haven't figured it out yet.

[quote name='MasterAwesome']I was also one of those people who thought defense was virtually non-existent in this year's Madden...until I had to play BigAT's Giants. That game was brutal, I feel like no one was ever open. I know BigAT is known for his amazing defense though, I think we got to week 9 or something last season before he allowed his first offensive touchdown. So I guess it's definitely possible to play solid defense in this game...I just haven't figured it out yet.[/QUOTE]

BigAT is just a defensive freak. Last year I had one of the top 2 or 3 offenses in the league and yet I couldn't do a thing against him.

[quote name='HydroX']For those of you that do the Madden Ultimate Team thing .. I finally found the reusable Target code for Adrian Peterson (788675). Put it in the "Promo Code" area on www.doritoschangethegame.com[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, but where do you enter the 16-digit code you get from Doritos.com in game?

[quote name='PacerPerspect']Thanks man, but where do you enter the 16-digit code you get from Doritos.com in game?[/QUOTE]

under play madden live. All the way on the right is a redeem code.

I would love to play someone like BigAT all the time. That way you can learn from someone who knows defense and see how he changes the players and audibles.

[quote name='bvharris']I don't believe I play you this year, so if you're still on when I get home from work (probably 5 or a little before) than I'd be willing to get a scrim in.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to hop on in a couple mins, feel free to shoot me an invite.

[quote name='msuna']under play madden live. All the way on the right is a redeem code.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. If I go buy a bag of Doritos will I get another three cards? Or is it limited to one per player, anyone know?

[quote name='PacerPerspect']Thanks man. If I go buy a bag of Doritos will I get another three cards? Or is it limited to one per player, anyone know?[/QUOTE]

I bought two bags when I got the game and it only gave me AP, Reggie Wayne and Jared Allen.

[quote name='PacerPerspect']Thanks, I might pick up a bag and see what happens. Worst case, I have a bag of chips to eat.[/QUOTE]

There was a post earlier in this thread with some free Doritos codes. I was able to get Breesus, Reggie Wayne and Jared Allen, amongst others.

I still think MUT is a worthless mode that isn't worth wasting your time on though!

gg ubernes. Apparently I decided to do 10 shots of 180 proof dumbass juice at the 2 minute warning. I didn't have any confidence in my D stopping you which is why I went for that 4th, I shouldnt' have audibled to the pass though. From there it was "hey, let's see how hail marys work!"

Not well. :D

Edit: I've now thrown 3 total picks during my time with Madden 11.. All within about 1:20.

philip-rivers.jpg

[quote name='bvharris']gg ubernes. Apparently I decided to do 10 shots of 180 proof dumbass juice at the 2 minute warning. I didn't have any confidence in my D stopping you which is why I went for that 4th, I shouldnt' have audibled to the pass though. From there it was "hey, let's see how hail marys work!"

Not well. :D

Edit: I've now thrown 3 total picks during my time with Madden 11.. All within about 1:20.
[/QUOTE]

gg indeed. I really didn't like how my running game was going at all that game. I had a few big gainers but besides that a lot of nothing. That damn screen pass fooled me twice on 3rd down haha.

yeah, I would've stuck with the run if I were you. you were pretty successful with it in the 2nd half. Cro just had to get back at his old team delivering that pick-six to take the lead.

PS: i'd be up for another scrim within the next hour before this pre-season game kicks off. let me know if anyone is around.

[quote name='ubernes']
yeah, I would've stuck with the run if I were you. you were pretty successful with it in the 2nd half. Cro just had to get back at his old team delivering that pick-six to take the lead.
[/QUOTE]

True, I was running it very well, especially on that one drive. Ironically, I think Floyd got open on the slant on that play, but as I was about to throw it a little mini Sood appeared on my screen and went "Slants are cheap!" so I threw it to Sproles (or tried to). :lol:

And yeah, it's justice I suppose that Cro would seal it. There was another funny moment when Merriman lit up LT in the backfield and then immediately did the lights out dance over him. Unscripted I'm sure, but it still made me laugh.

Hahah, yeah, I remember that. I was definitely cursing him after he did the dance. LT did not have much luck catching out of the backfield largely thanks to Merriman, well besides that one bomb up the sideline but I'm not sure who was covering him on that one.

I forget, but given how open he was I have a hard time believing that anyone was. ;)

Ironically, as a football fan I hate the Chargers more than just about any team not named the Jets or Colts, but I have to admit I'm enjoying playing them, they have a good balanced team.

As for Week 2, the Jags owner and I have been in touch. Unfortunately we're on opposite work schedules, so Friday will be the earliest we can play.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bvharris']I forget, but given how open he was I have a hard time believing that anyone one. ;)

Ironically, as a football fan I hate the Chargers more than just about any team not named the Jets or Colts, but I have to admit I'm enjoying playing them, they have a good balanced team.

As for Week 2, the Jags owner and I have been in touch. Unfortunately we're on opposite work schedules, so Friday will be the earliest we can play.[/QUOTE]

Then, when I get my game back how about you passing them my way? ;) BTW, I'm a big Chargers fan. :cool:

Sayhey, when are we going to play this game ? Im pretty much available for the rest of the evening I got on at 6:30 as promised and Im just going to be between here and xbox live only stopping for dinner. I do have to work early in the am so the sooner we can play the better.

[quote name='js1']Then, when I get my game back how about you passing them my way? ;) BTW, I'm a big Chargers fan. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Not likely, though I'd be willing to give them up in Season 2 provided I can switch to one of my preferred teams. :D

[quote name='Mr Grand Cru']Sayhey, when are we going to play this game ? Im pretty much available for the rest of the evening I got on at 6:30 as promised and Im just going to be between here and xbox live only stopping for dinner. I do have to work early in the am so the sooner we can play the better.[/QUOTE]

we started the game about an hour ago and got almost to the end of the 2nd quarter

i was up 14-7 when grand cru disconnected.. what is the policy on this?

Update: I've been waiting 15 minutes, no response on CAG or on Xbox Live... what do I do?

ugh, let's wait to hear from Cru but I see he's not on xbl still. I really hope this doesn't happen to often here. We do need to setup an official policy though. Maybe something like 2 connection problems within the 2 min warning of the half and you take the L.

hey say hey im here and i found out i got banned ive been hustling to create another account Ramsue just gave me a redeem one month free, Im using it now, I don't quit games.

[quote name='ubernes']ugh, let's wait to hear from Cru but I see he's not on xbl still. I really hope this doesn't happen to often here. We do need to setup an official policy though. Maybe something like 2 connection problems within the 2 min warning of the half and you take the L.[/QUOTE]

I agree that we need to come up with something fair and we need to get it in place ASAP

[quote name='Mr Grand Cru']hey say hey im here and i found out i got banned ive been hustling to create another account Ramsue just gave me a redeem one month free, Im using it now, I don't quit games.[/QUOTE]

you got banned? how did you just get banned in the MIDDLE of a game like that?

[quote name='sayHey']you got banned? how did you just get banned in the MIDDLE of a game like that?[/QUOTE]

I dont know how or why but i can take a picture on my phone and send the message to you if you dont believe me.

Im going to need Broadway to kick me out the league under Mr Grand Cru and send an invite to my new account : CruGotBanned

[quote name='Mr Grand Cru']I dont know how or why but i can take a picture on my phone and send the message to you if you dont believe me.[/QUOTE]

i believe you, it just seems sketchy.. and now we dont have a way to play an actual online franchise game since that gamertag is banned / you don't have an xbox live account now

i just don't know what to do

I just created a new account for the sole fact that we can play, the gamertag is CruGotBanned, I just need ubernes to kick Mr Grand Cru out so I can join as my new gamertag.

[quote name='ubernes']ugh, let's wait to hear from Cru but I see he's not on xbl still. I really hope this doesn't happen to often here. We do need to setup an official policy though. Maybe something like 2 connection problems within the 2 min warning of the half and you take the L.[/QUOTE]
How about after the first half? It happened to me about an hour ago against the Lions. I was up 28-7(only due to a couple of lucky/unlucky fumble returns for TDs) and I think he had connection problems cuz the game ended right as he was starting to return the opening 2nd half kick-off.

bread's done
Back