Mass Effect 2 coming to PS3 January 2011

First game was a lot of fun, despite a few design and side mission issues.

Got to play a bit of ME2 at a friend's place on PC, this time around it is more of a shooter than an RPG.

In the respects of ME2, don't call it a RPG first, it is a 3rd person shooter first, RPG second. However the details, can't wait to get my hands on this game. It is also very good news that ME2 for PS3 is using the ME3 engine. EA is showing the PS3 a lot of love these past few years.

Not sure exactly how the dlc will be handled, but EA has been doing that "online" system where all dlc is tied to one PS3 account. In the case of Dragon Age and ME2 (on x360) this dropped the trade-in and re-sale value. It might have a cheap price at the cost of not having any dlc.

[quote name='j-cart']First game was a lot of fun, despite a few design and side mission issues.

Got to play a bit of ME2 at a friend's place on PC, this time around it is more of a shooter than an RPG.

In the respects of ME2, don't call it a RPG first, it is a 3rd person shooter first, RPG second. However the details, can't wait to get my hands on this game. It is also very good news that ME2 for PS3 is using the ME3 engine. EA is showing the PS3 a lot of love these past few years.

Not sure exactly how the dlc will be handled, but EA has been doing that "online" system where all dlc is tied to one PS3 account. In the case of Dragon Age and ME2 (on x360) this dropped the trade-in and re-sale value. It might have a cheap price at the cost of not having any dlc.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way about ME2 but it was still an awesome game.

And they said all the current DLC would be on the disc but the Cerberus network out be there for future DLC.

I hope for Amazon or somebody to give a good preorder/first week price. Cause I really wanna play this game ASAP, but $60 is gonna hurt. I've never bought a game at $60. Closest I got was Uncharted 2 for $50.

[quote name='Saint Noir']KMart will have it come with a $20 coupon, which may help ease the pain.[/QUOTE]

Kmart god love em! You have to use those coupons quick cause of the expiration date (which varies).

[quote name='blueweltall']Mass Effect 2 is so good that I would glady double dip and paid Bioware another $60, they deserve it.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. I haven't bought any of the addons (barring the free Cerberus network) for the 360 version so at least I'll be getting a bunch of stuff that I haven't touched. Plus the masochist in me wants to play through it on insane again. Oh the fury I felt.

Off to Kmart in a month.

Demo's out. Hopefully others will have more luck with it than I did. When I got to the clinic, I talked to one of the NPCs behind the receptionist desk and then the game glitched. Suddenly I was levitating in the air and magically transported behind the receptionist desk... trapped, no way of getting out. Hopefully this isn't signs of a shaddy port job.

@panzerfaust: Yeah, that's definitely hitting me. I know better than to get hyped off hype, but I did for ME2... and from the demo... yeah. I thought the game would control like a dream, but no. Still liked it, tho.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I wonder what PS3 users will think when they find out this isn't the best game in history.

It is pretty great though =D[/QUOTE]

lol i was thinking that as i played the demo the game seems like itd be fun to play since it looks like it has a tight and interesting story but aside from that i dont get what the big deal is. with all the great stuff sony has coming out ill wait on me2 besides my first game for 2011 is gonne be deadspace 2. loved the demo.

So... the demo was a bit underwhelming.

The first time I played, Sheppard got stuck in the middle of the straits on the Normandy. So then I had to sit through all of the intro stuff again before I got to play it.

Graphically, it seems like there's little to no improvement. In fact, the game seems to run worse than the 360 version (lots of stuttering and longer load times), even though the demo is on the HD. Not sure what makes the ME3 engine so special to distinguish it from the ME2 engine...

Controls felt fine for me, which I thought would be an issue.

It took forever for me to download it today, but I played mostly to see the early version of the ME3 engine at work. The textures, as well as the lighting and the shadowing (particularly how characters look in the shadows), are outstanding. There's definitely a noticeable improvement overall - at least for me.

I was also excited to see that they used a different mission in the demo than what was used in the 360 version.

I wish that they hadn't included the "Previously on Mass Effect" video since they're doing the interactive comic, but I suppose for demo reasons it makes sense.

I really do hate using the PS3 controller for this game, though. I'll definitely be using my 360 controller adapter when I pick this up.

I really don't understand the big deal with framerates. We can only seen about 25 frames a second, so there's not much point in more. Games with "super high framerates" kinda make me dizzy.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I really don't understand the big deal with framerates. We can only seen about 25 frames a second, so there's not much point in more. Games with "super high framerates" kinda make me dizzy.[/QUOTE]

It was low enough for me notice. That's not to say 360 doesn't have slowdowns but PS3 version (at least the demo) has more.

[quote name='Vinny']So... the demo was a bit underwhelming.

The first time I played, Sheppard got stuck in the middle of the straits on the Normandy. So then I had to sit through all of the intro stuff again before I got to play it.

Graphically, it seems like there's little to no improvement. In fact, the game seems to run worse than the 360 version (lots of stuttering and longer load times), even though the demo is on the HD. Not sure what makes the ME3 engine so special to distinguish it from the ME2 engine...

Controls felt fine for me, which I thought would be an issue.[/QUOTE]

That's why I don't understand some people saying "lol PS3 ME2 on the new engine suck it xbox lol". ME3 is going to run (and probably look) loads better on 360.

[quote name='Vinny']So... the demo was a bit underwhelming.

Controls felt fine for me, which I thought would be an issue.[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, so we both got glitch stuck in two completely different areas without trying. This really worries me. Were such glitches present in the 360 version? Also, yeah... WTF is with these load times?

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']That's why I don't understand some people saying "lol PS3 ME2 on the new engine suck it xbox lol". ME3 is going to run (and probably look) loads better on 360.[/QUOTE]

Continuing the hate doesn't stop the hate.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Continuing the hate doesn't stop the hate.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it out of glee (I'm a PS3 owner, gave my 360 to my brother), I'm just facing reality.

I didn't get stuck playing the the demo but I was quite shocked by the graphics. Things actually seemed rougher around the edges then the 360 version. I'm still debating getting it. My ME love can support it on two systems.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']It took forever for me to download it today, but I played mostly to see the early version of the ME3 engine at work. The textures, as well as the lighting and the shadowing (particularly how characters look in the shadows), are outstanding. There's definitely a noticeable improvement overall - at least for me.

I was also excited to see that they used a different mission in the demo than what was used in the 360 version.

I wish that they hadn't included the "Previously on Mass Effect" video since they're doing the interactive comic, but I suppose for demo reasons it makes sense.

I really do hate using the PS3 controller for this game, though. I'll definitely be using my 360 controller adapter when I pick this up.[/QUOTE]

How high are you? The game did not look nearly as good as the 360 version. Granted, it's a demo, but it had odd textures, screen tearing and lots of other weird graphical glitches. The textures were what really threw me off, but also the unlocked frame rate. Having the game go from 30 FPS to 60 FPS back down to 30 FPS was really jarring.

The one thing that I didn't mind was that it seemed to be brighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='A Happy Panda']How high are you? The game did not look nearly as good as the 360 version. Granted, it's a demo, but it had odd textures, screen tearing and lots of other weird graphical glitches. The textures were what really threw me off, but also the unlocked frame rate. Having the game go from 30 FPS to 60 FPS back down to 30 FPS was really jarring.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure he knows pretty damn well, he's probably put 500 hours into the 360 version.

And I agree - the PS3 version was really impressive looking. Who the hell knows, maybe it depends solely on your TV - but I thought the PS3 version looked way improved. Very subtle changes that makes the graphics much more natural. The performance was lacking, but it IS a demo and they did just port it to the PS3; they'll get it smoothed out.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']That's why I don't understand some people saying "lol PS3 ME2 on the new engine suck it xbox lol". ME3 is going to run (and probably look) loads better on 360.[/QUOTE]

Well, the developers said it's running on the ME3 engine.. there was a significant improvement from the ME1 and ME2 engine, so I don't think it's too unreasonable to think the ME3 engine would look/run better... regardless of how insignificant the improvements were.

But it does seem like there were some improvements, as shown by this EuroGamer comparison. Go to the ~2:00 minute mark. The shadows are much higher res on the PS3 version but the details look better on the 360 (or maybe the lighting is brighter).
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/masseffect2-360-vs-ps3-faceoff?size=hd

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I'm sure he knows pretty damn well, he's probably put 500 hours into the 360 version.

And I agree - the PS3 version was really impressive looking. Who the hell knows, maybe it depends solely on your TV - but I thought the PS3 version looked way improved. Very subtle changes that makes the graphics much more natural. The performance was lacking, but it IS a demo and they did just port it to the PS3; they'll get it smoothed out.[/QUOTE]

IDK, it could be the TV, but I just came across this on GAF.

http://www.gameblurb.net/featured/versus-mass-effect-2-screenshot-comparison/

To me, it's pretty definitive as to what looks better, and that's the 360. But then again, like I said, this is a demo, so this is to be taken with a grain of salt, but the demo most definitely does not look better than the full retail version on the 360.

[quote name='Vinny']Well, the developers said it's running on the ME3 engine.. there was a significant improvement from the ME1 and ME2 engine, so I don't think it's too unreasonable to think the ME3 engine would look/run better... regardless of how insignificant the improvements were.

But it does seem like there were some improvements, as shown by this EuroGamer comparison. Go to the ~2:00 minute mark. The shadows are much higher res on the PS3 version but the details look better on the 360 (or maybe the lighting is brighter).
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/masseffect2-360-vs-ps3-faceoff?size=hd[/QUOTE]

I'll agree that the shadows look better, people aren't seemingly "blackface" in the PS3 version.

there was not enough of a difference in graphics to make me care. Unless this game has major framerate problems in battle, this version is fine. This isn't a Bayonetta 360/PS3 situation.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']IDK, it could be the TV, but I just came across this on GAF.

http://www.gameblurb.net/featured/versus-mass-effect-2-screenshot-comparison/

To me, it's pretty definitive as to what looks better, and that's the 360. But then again, like I said, this is a demo, so this is to be taken with a grain of salt, but the demo most definitely does not look better than the full retail version on the 360.
[/QUOTE]
Who knows - to me some of the 360 image comparisons do look better. But when playing the PS3 version after the 360 version, I could not help but be impressed w/ the PS3 version. It's always different for me seeing a small image on my computer monitor vs. the actual game running in HD on a 46" TV.

[quote name='ninja dog']there was not enough of a difference in graphics to make me care. Unless this game has major framerate problems in battle, this version is fine. This isn't a Bayonetta 360/PS3 situation.[/QUOTE]

This. I don't think PS3 owners should care... little better or a little worse, it is negligible. A great game to more people. This is good.

[quote name='Vinny']Well, the developers said it's running on the ME3 engine.. there was a significant improvement from the ME1 and ME2 engine, so I don't think it's too unreasonable to think the ME3 engine would look/run better... regardless of how insignificant the improvements were.

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/masseffect2-360-vs-ps3-faceoff?size=hd[/QUOTE]

My point was that even if ME2 looks better on PS3 (and from what I've seen, it doesn't), ME3 will almost certainly look better on 360. Especially if the new engine on ME2 PS3 doesn't surpass the original engine on 360.

We're getting the treatment Xbox got last generation; PS3's the stronger system, but games are largely developed for PS2/360 and ported over.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']How high are you? The game did not look nearly as good as the 360 version. Granted, it's a demo, but it had odd textures, screen tearing and lots of other weird graphical glitches. The textures were what really threw me off, but also the unlocked frame rate. Having the game go from 30 FPS to 60 FPS back down to 30 FPS was really jarring.

The one thing that I didn't mind was that it seemed to be brighter.[/QUOTE]I think a lot of people are lumping the visuals and the performance together when they say it doesn't "look as good" as the 360 version, and I'm talking about them separately. Most of the visuals (the small details, the shadowing, the overall resolution) are definitely better than the 360's, but the performance side of the graphics is what's killing it so far in the demo. I admit I didn't notice quite as many problems as everyone else my first time through it, but I'm going to go back through it a second time just to make sure I'm not the highest man in here.

One thing I did notice is that the Vanguard's Charge ability did not seem to work right sometimes for me. For anyone that's familiar with it, you should have Shepard dash across the screen with an intense blue biotic field surrounding him and slam into an enemy causing them to go flying. Sometimes when I activated it on the demo, the blue biotic field would slam into the enemy and Shepard wouldn't even move - he just stayed in the spot that I had initially activated the Charge from.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I'm sure he knows pretty damn well, he's probably put 500 hours into the 360 version.[/QUOTE]We'll go with 500 in order for me to save some face :lol:

I may be in the minority here, but I didn't think the demo was all that and a bag of chips. I found it a bit repetitive to be honest, you go into a room, shoot the baddies, pick up stuff, go into another room and do the same thing. I like the idea of a crew and all that, because it gets kinda boring when you're playing a game and it's just one character, but the demo didn't do enough for me to buy it at a $60 clip.

[quote name='Rafael122'] I found it a bit repetitive to be honest, you go into a room, shoot the baddies, pick up stuff, go into another room and do the same thing.[/QUOTE]

When you generalize a game like this, then everything becomes stale.

Examples:

GT5. Buy car, race, win money. Repeat.

Uncharted. Cover behind rock, shoot. Go behind the next rock and crack a joke.

Fifa. Pass ball, kick ball in goal. Repeat if necessary.

The list goes on.

As for Mass Effect 2 demo, looked great. Of course if you own a PC or x360 why buy the expensive full retail ps3 version? Will be hitting this game up once it drops. Played the hell out of the first one when it came out. Looking forward making Shepard be a dick to everyone.

[quote name='j-cart']When you generalize a game like this, then everything becomes stale.

Examples:

GT5. Buy car, race, win money. Repeat.

Uncharted. Cover behind rock, shoot. Go behind the next rock and crack a joke.

Fifa. Pass ball, kick ball in goal. Repeat if necessary.

The list goes on.

As for Mass Effect 2 demo, looked great. Of course if you own a PC or x360 why buy the expensive full retail ps3 version? Will be hitting this game up once it drops. Played the hell out of the first one when it came out. Looking forward making Shepard be a dick to everyone.[/QUOTE]

I hate to generalize it though. It looks great, plays great, I got the handle/controls right away. I'll give it another play through and see.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']My point was that even if ME2 looks better on PS3 (and from what I've seen, it doesn't), ME3 will almost certainly look better on 360. Especially if the new engine on ME2 PS3 doesn't surpass the original engine on 360.

We're getting the treatment Xbox got last generation; PS3's the stronger system, but games are largely developed for PS2/360 and ported over.[/QUOTE]

Not a really good comparison, most Xbox 1 games are better than the PS2 version. Doesnt matter if it is a port or not.

Then you got games like Ghostbuster which was developed for PS3 but the Xbox 360 port looks better, or Star Wars Force Unleashed, developed for 360 but runs better on PS3 port.

I like how people are letting the conversation devolve into bullshit talk about which version looks better. The game is amazing, just fucking enjoy it regardless of console.

The only problem I can find with the demo: You start off playing Mass Effect 2 without knowing much about Mass Effect 1.

If you haven't played the first, you will most likely be lost among the actual gameplay in the demo (which serves as a tutorial) as to what you are suppose to be doing and such.

What they should have done for the demo was put the ME1 comic in it, then play where the demo is at. So if we happen to buy the game, then it has our demo save file ready to go.

/edit

Dasflikko: Agreed, however bickering about graphics and slight details on a still picture is what fuels the internet. The internet needs fuel.

The way the demo was presented, it just seemed like another TPS. I was hoping to see more of the "RPG" elements or involve more character interactions like KotOR or DA. Didn't seem to make a difference in dialogue whether or not I choose a male or female Shepard. Yes, I know its a demo, but it makes for a poor representation of the whole game.

Thats where Mass Effect tricks you. It is a Third Person Shooter first, choose you own adventure second and RPG third.

Th RPG elements are very light and because of how they are implemented in ME2, it is less of a RPG than ME1.

[quote name='j-cart']Thats where Mass Effect tricks you. It is a Third Person Shooter first, choose you own adventure second and RPG third.

Th RPG elements are very light and because of how they are implemented in ME2, it is less of a RPG than ME1.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think so. It's still a very good RPG. The RPG elements aren't as prominent as in ME1, but they're definitely still there, and very sleek.

[quote name='j-cart']Thats where Mass Effect tricks you. It is a Third Person Shooter first, choose you own adventure second and RPG third.
Th RPG elements are very light and because of how they are implemented in ME2, it is less of a RPG than ME1.[/QUOTE]

True, I just read about that just now. I figured after all the "RPG awards" its received--I was expecting something different then. After a quick Google search of the Internet masses, the consensus is that this is a TPS first with very, very vague RPG elements if any. Bleh, and here I thought I was getting away from shooters lol. Anyway, I'll pick this up after a price drop or two.

[quote name='Supplice']True, I just read about that just now. I figured after all the "RPG awards" its received--I was expecting something different then. After a quick Google search of the Internet masses, the consensus is that this is a very, very vague RPG. Bleh, and here I thought I was getting away from shooters lol. Anyway, I'll pick this up after a price drop or two.[/QUOTE]

Your loss.

Seriously, this game is worth $60, especially with the exclusive stuff the PS3 gets. I wouldn't wait.

i never played a mass effect in my life. when you say rpg elements, is it basically rpg like borderlands? where you level up and get more guns?

As a Mass Effect Veteran, and as a guy who lost his loyalty to 360 (I still love you Xbox 360, not as used to though :p)

I got to say, 360 has less frame tears but the PS3 graphics looks really polished..
But ME1 on the 360 did gave me mad lag during some combat battles.

PS3 seems to be smooth for some battles which is enough to make me happy (I'm a FPS [frames per second] freak)

Definitely buying the PS3 version.

(I sold my 360 version but I feel guilty because I actually miss it) :x

[quote name='JMEPO']What an awesome demo; pretty long too. I think this may be a day 1 purchase for me. How long is the full game?[/QUOTE]

You can make it last anywhere between 35-60 hours depending on how many side quests you take on and how much of a completionist you are. But I think on average it takes about 40 hours.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Took me like 15 hours 0_o[/QUOTE]

I'm going to guess you ran straight through the main quest and didn't get all the crew members and also didn't do many loyalty missions.

bread's done
Back