Mass Effect 2 coming to PS3 January 2011

[quote name='Count']As a Mass Effect Veteran, and as a guy who lost his loyalty to 360 (I still love you Xbox 360, not as used to though :p)

I got to say, 360 has less frame tears but the PS3 graphics looks really polished..
But ME1 on the 360 did gave me mad lag during some combat battles.

PS3 seems to be smooth for some battles which is enough to make me happy (I'm a FPS [frames per second] freak)

Definitely buying the PS3 version.

(I sold my 360 version but I feel guilty because I actually miss it) :x[/QUOTE]

Can you (or anyone else) explain some of the differences between using the ME3 engine in the PS3 and the 360 version? Do the assets get a visual upgrade when they are imported into the ME3 engine?

Yes, I'm ignorant.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I'm going to guess you ran straight through the main quest and didn't get all the crew members and also didn't do many loyalty missions.[/QUOTE]

It took me about that and I did get all the crew members and did do the loyalty missions. Didn't do anything else though.

[quote name='whoknows']It took me about that and I did get all the crew members and did do the loyalty missions. Didn't do anything else though.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I think it took me 15-20 hours. After a while, some of the loyalty missions were getting a little annoying
It seems like everyone has baggage with family problems. Except for the Krogan.

Overall, after playing ME 1 & 2 on the PC, it felt really wierd playing the demo. I'm just sticking on the PC for ME 3.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Took me like 15 hours 0_o[/QUOTE]

In my Renegade playthrough I barely did any side quests or Mining and came through at over 35 hours. 0.o

I completed every side quest and all loyalty missions in about 28 hours. I absolutely hated the game though (the story was absolutely awful compared to the first), so I'm going to need some price drops and a lull in games to play before I pick this up again.

Go ahead, call me a heretic.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Your loss.

Seriously, this game is worth $60, especially with the exclusive stuff the PS3 gets. I wouldn't wait.[/QUOTE]

So what is the PS3 getting that that 360 or PC does not have?

[quote name='sendme']So what is the PS3 getting that that 360 or PC does not have?[/QUOTE]

Not much. It has an interactive comic that fills in the details of the first game and allows all the decision making to carry over to the 2nd, and it's running on the Mass Effect 3 engine.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Is the PS3 version getting the DLC free on disc as well?[/QUOTE]

Yes. All the DLC released to date for the 360 version will be on the PS3 disc, plus the pre-order bonuses offered a year ago will be on PSN for free. I just played through the demo tonight and while it was a little shooter-heavy for my tastes, the game has received so many accolades for its story and character customization that I think it's a mistake to pass it by.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Not much. It has an interactive comic that fills in the details of the first game and allows all the decision making to carry over to the 2nd, and it's running on the Mass Effect 3 engine.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering how they would do that. I didn't see them not leting you make decisions to carry over to 2.

[quote name='coolz481']Yes. All the DLC released to date for the 360 version will be on the PS3 disc, plus the pre-order bonuses offered a year ago will be on PSN for free. I just played through the demo tonight and while it was a little shooter-heavy for my tastes, the game has received so many accolades for its story and character customization that I think it's a mistake to pass it by.[/QUOTE]

Is the CE, DA:O and that one gun that was leeked the day before the game came out all going to be on it also?

[quote name='coolz481']Yes. All the DLC released to date for the 360 version will be on the PS3 disc, plus the pre-order bonuses offered a year ago will be on PSN for free. I just played through the demo tonight and while it was a little shooter-heavy for my tastes, the game has received so many accolades for its story and character customization that I think it's a mistake to pass it by.[/QUOTE]

It'll be offered free on PSN for a limited time, about a month I think.

Then it will be turned into paid content.

There is an ad on the PSN saying "Mass Effect 2 is coming to PSN in 7 days, download the demo now!".

This isn't going to be offered as a download title, is it?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']KingBroly doesn't pay attention to facts when he's making bold statements.[/QUOTE]

If the statement was "first time available on disc/download simulataneously day 1 for a third party game" would that be accurate?

[quote name='MSUHitman']If the statement was "first time available on disc/download simulataneously day 1 for a third party game" would that be accurate?[/QUOTE]
No. It happens all the time for the PSP, with Prinny 2 being released on UMD/PSN yesterday as the latest example.

If you have to go all the way down to "first game available on the PS Store for the PS3 by a third-party at the same time as its retail release," then it's not a noteworthy first. It's a noteworthy release, but not a first of any real note.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No. It happens all the time for the PSP, with Prinny 2 being released on UMD/PSN yesterday as the latest example.

If you have to go all the way down to "first game available on the PS Store for the PS3 by a third-party at the same time as its retail release," then it's not a noteworthy first. It's a noteworthy release, but not a first of any real note.[/QUOTE]

How about 'First Mass Effect 2 game available on the PS Store at the same time as its retail release'? Anyway, I hope we get to see more games released this way. Hopefully it's not just because it's an older game, I wouldn't mind having the next battlefield as a PS Store release

I'm pretty sure that it is because it's a late port. If EA is really bullish about digital being a bigger factor in their sales, then maybe it'll be happening more often.

As far as third party releases day and date on PSN and retail, NFL Head Coach 09 was the first for third-parties. It wasn't until the past month or so that EA dropped the price from $50 to $15 or so two years after it came out.

I'd definitely pick this up if I could gameshare it. I don't think I would pay $60 for my most disappointing game of 2010, but I am willing to give it another shot.

I'm going to download what I can for the game but I too think I will hold off. I have this on the 360 and PC as of now. I have other games that I am getting soon and if this was 40 it would be better but 60 is to much.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm pretty sure that it is because it's a late port. If EA is really bullish about digital being a bigger factor in their sales, then maybe it'll be happening more often.

As far as third party releases day and date on PSN and retail, NFL Head Coach 09 was the first for third-parties. It wasn't until the past month or so that EA dropped the price from $50 to $15 or so two years after it came out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was talking retail on console, sorry I should have clarified. Sony's move with the PSP Go kinda forced (baring some Squenix holdouts) PSP digital versions to be day and date with retail.

After I typed that I remember NFL Head Coach and Burnout Paradise, but they weren't day and date with the console versions were they? I do have the PSN Burnout, but that was because over a year after release they put it on sale with EVERYTHING for $30 for like a month and I got it on the last day.

Also it seems EA doesn't mind the costs Sony put on publishers to host the content as they have done this with a few games now, as many as Sony. Only non-EA, non-Sony full retail game on PSN I can recall is Borderlands, and that was just put on a month or two ago.

Edit: forgot about Prototype and Red Faction. I tend to forget what games get the Playstation Plus extended demo trying to get you to buy the game digitally treatment since I don't have PSN +.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Head Coach 09 came out day-and-date and Burnout was about six months later when they started putting out DLC and the trophy patch.

Other retail games on PSN:
Borderlands
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla

[quote name='Amblix']It'll be offered free on PSN for a limited time, about a month I think.

Then it will be turned into paid content.[/QUOTE]

Can't you just download it when it's free, then buy the game whenever and the content will still be there?

[quote name='madbst']Can't you just download it when it's free, then buy the game whenever and the content will still be there?[/QUOTE]

It's always an option. :)

The fact that they are offering the 60-minute trial like they have with Borderlands, Red Faction, Infamous, etc. leads me to believe that a gameshare on this will work. I'm not going to drop that money until I get some confirmation from someone else though.

Well maybe I should've said first major third party release to hit day 1 digitally on a console. NFL Head Coach doesn't count because it sucks. I did forget Warhawk and Socom, so I admit that's my fault.

Tomb Raider Underworld is also on PSN. I bought it because I really like TRU. I also bought Burnout on PSN because it really is the best way to play it. But I don't have interest in ME2 on PSN. Or any game for that matter. Too much money involved.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=282299

"Until February 23rd, 2011, Mass Effect 2 players on Playstation 3 can download the Terminus Armor and M-490 Blackstorm Projector Weapon free of charge from the PSN Store. After Feb 23rd, the Terminus Gear will be available as paid DLC."
Think we might be able to DL the DLC on PSNStore, then wait a few months for the inevitable price drop. Fingers crossed anyway.

If anyone that hasn't played ME 2 needs help, don't be afraid to come to the 360 thread for the game. There's about 5-7 of us that have fully completed both games and have all of the strategies you would need. The other main contributors to that thread have beaten the game on Insanity and beaten the game with all of the classes so they know more than I do (I was a female Infiltrator in ME 1/2 and have a Male Vanguard at the end of ME 1 currently.)

I will check on this thread from time to time but if you need something and don't want to go to the 360 forum (we won't bite, honest) then PM me and I'll try to help. Same thing goes with Dragon Age.

Still kinda jealous you guys get the comic and 360 owners don't. It's fair but I would of liked spending the last 24 hours of playtime I've done in ME 1 (to create a male Shepard) in ME 2 instead as I refuse to accept the default choices made with that game if you start fresh. I saw the comic on YouTube and it's pretty nice definately a good compromise since Microsoft has ME 1 on lockdown.

[quote name='FroMann']Going to get my copy later in the afternoon after class. Can't wait to finally play this series.[/QUOTE]

First time playing a Mass Effect game? I'm jealous! You're in for a hell of a ride!

[quote name='Beatofficer']Anyone else having troubles with their Cerberus Network codes not working?[/QUOTE]
I bet we'll have to wait for the PSN to update. Apparently the LBP2 codes aren't working yet either.

the Cerberus Network is available to buy in the store right now, along with a bunch of other DLC for it. I read on the Bioware site they're aware of the issue and they're trying to fix it, so I guess it's them and not the network.

Alright! just got mine for about 30 bucks (Gamestop Christmas gift cars FTW) and need to install it. *checks back of game case* 5.3 GB required?! WHAT THE fuck!?

[quote name='FroMann']Alright! just got mine for about 30 bucks (Gamestop Christmas gift cars FTW) and need to install it. *checks back of game case* 5.3 GB required?! WHAT THE fuck!?[/QUOTE]

Plus all the DLC which should put the total over 7gb. ;)

well just started playing.. will play probably an hr a day... how long does this game last and where is that comic book so it tells you about ME1

It took me almost 50 hours in my first play through, but I've heard some people finished the game in under 20. It depends on if you smell the roses or not. Up to you really.

Dunno. I assumed the comic would automatically play after the intro part of the game. Did you activate your Cerberus Network code? You probably would have to download it through that.

bread's done
Back