Mass Effect 2 coming to PS3 January 2011

[quote name='darkcecil32']Cool, I guess that helps a bit getting some backdrop for the second game. However, I hear that the character import feature from ME1 to ME2 was really cool, and I'm hoping at some point (even if it's later rather than never), the PS3 will get that option as well.[/QUOTE]

While the character import is my favorite aspect of this series, I have to admit it doesn't have a tremendous impact on the plot of ME2. You get a bit of extra dialog occasionally from NPC's kind of letting you in on what were the ramifications to some of your ME1 decisions, a few short extra missions, but again, nothing that really affects the main plot of the game. However, a few of the hooks from ME1 may still carry into ME3 (things like your choice of love interest from the first game) so it'll be interesting to see if they do more there. Overall, they're kinda just nice little touches and it's mainly just cool to able to play the custom Commander Shepard you created in ME1 for the entire trilogy.

I'm sure Bioware will do a good job summing up the events of ME1 for ME2 PS3 but I'd try to play ME1 first if you can get a hold of a 360 or a decent PC. Game's actually been on sale for $5 on Steam a few times.

[quote name='nddave']FFXIII is the best game all year. Awesome characters, best battle system in a JRPG in many years, and so on. Bayonetta does have better controls on PS3 since DS3 is better for action oriented games (not FPS).[/QUOTE]

Wow!! this is def. your opinion which is fine. Metacritic and I Def. do not agree. Bayonetta plays like horsea$$ on the PS3[/QUOTE]

I was so in love with Bayonetta until I played it. The game played fine to me on PS3, it was just the time when you weren't fighting that killed the game for me.

Awesome news. This is the only game that PS3 didn't have that I was kind of jealous of. Let's hope they improve the graphics for the PS3 version; I saw it on my friend's 360 and wasn't impressed (looked absolutely nothing like they showed on the TV commercials).

Oh, and Vesperia is on PS3, just not in the US :( which sucks.

[quote name='pstriple']While the character import is my favorite aspect of this series, I have to admit it doesn't have a tremendous impact on the plot of ME2. You get a bit of extra dialog occasionally from NPC's kind of letting you in on what were the ramifications to some of your ME1 decisions, a few short extra missions, but again, nothing that really affects the main plot of the game. However, a few of the hooks from ME1 may still carry into ME3 (things like your choice of love interest from the first game) so it'll be interesting to see if they do more there. Overall, they're kinda just nice little touches and it's mainly just cool to able to play the custom Commander Shepard you created in ME1 for the entire trilogy.

I'm sure Bioware will do a good job summing up the events of ME1 for ME2 PS3 but I'd try to play ME1 first if you can get a hold of a 360 or a decent PC. Game's actually been on sale for $5 on Steam a few times.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I was under the impression that the carry over was an integral part of the full ME experience. This is good to know, thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately all of my friends are long gone (most of my good friends graduated last year) and my laptop is pushing 6 years old, so the only real option I'll have to experience ME is to play the PS3 version when it comes out.

I do plan on buying a 360 one day, but only when it's dirty cheap, and that won't be in the foreseeable future.

[quote name='J7.']Game of the Forever: Uncharted 3 with level editor.[/QUOTE]

uncharted 2 was a good tomb raider rip-off . i want original level design in the next game

This was the 360 game I wanted a 360 for. Probably my most anticipate PS3 game right now. Lets hope it comes out at $39 or $49.... like Bioshock 1 did.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']This was the 360 game I wanted a 360 for. Probably my most anticipate PS3 game right now. Lets hope it comes out at $39 or $49.... like Bioshock 1 did.[/QUOTE]

If all the DLC + more is included, it will retail for $60 most likely.

I played it on PC but am happy it's going to the PS3. I certainly would love playing it on my 46" LED. :drool:

If all the DLC is included for the PS3 release I might just double dip and play ME2 all over again. The game is that good to me XD

[quote name='Ecofreak']If all the DLC + more is included, it will retail for $60 most likely. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='maxim2boobles']uncharted 2 was a good tomb raider rip-off . i want original level design in the next game[/QUOTE]

Oh wow... How can I say this without being offensive?

You suck, stop playing games, and definitely stop posting? No, that's still offensive... Anyone care to help me feed the troll here?

[quote name='maxim2boobles']uncharted 2 was a good tomb raider rip-off . i want original level design in the next game[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing you saw through the whole Tibetan levels, too. That's another reason why I preferred the first game, because it truly had some unique stuff in it. Personal favorite was emerging from the jungle to a U-boat parked on a riverbed with a waterfall backdrop. Not even Indiana Jones could've done that better.

One thing I can say that Sony did good with these games being ported to the PS3 is that when a game is being taken from the 360 and later brought to the PS3.. Sony doesn't allow the company to release the same exact game as the previous 360 version. Sony mandates that the company make the game different by adding some new modes, levels, or content. So at least we're getting something extra for not being able to have the game when it was originally released for the 360. ME2 with all the DLC added for 60 (or maybe less) is a much better deal than what 360 owners got initially.

[quote name='Thomas96']ME2 with all the DLC added for 60 (or maybe less) is a much better deal than what 360 owners got initially.[/QUOTE]

That's the price gamers play for 1st access and "bragging rights."

For someone who's got a "coexist" sig, you sure are being a troll dude. Sure Uncharted isn't original but neither is Tomb Raider, which is nothing more than a 3D Pitfall. Besides, Uncharted out Tomb Raided Tomb Raider.

[quote name='Thomas96']One thing I can say that Sony did good with these games being ported to the PS3 is that when a game is being taken from the 360 and later brought to the PS3.. Sony doesn't allow the company to release the same exact game as the previous 360 version. Sony mandates that the company make the game different by adding some new modes, levels, or content. So at least we're getting something extra for not being able to have the game when it was originally released for the 360. ME2 with all the DLC added for 60 (or maybe less) is a much better deal than what 360 owners got initially.[/QUOTE]

It might not have been initially, but I got the game for $20. That was an awesome deal. I also got the collector's armor and gun which are pretty cool. Then with DLC, it's a little less than $60.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Oh wow... How can I say this without being offensive?

You suck, stop playing games, and definitely stop posting? No, that's still offensive... Anyone care to help me feed the troll here?[/QUOTE]
That's a little mean, I'll give it a shot.

@maxim-
You are dumb, never play games again and please leave these boards... dammit! I guess mine wasn't any better.

[quote name='nddave']FFXIII is the best game all year. Awesome characters, best battle system in a JRPG in many years, and so on.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if serious.

[quote name='Paco']Not sure if serious.[/QUOTE]

He messed up when trying to quote TMK who was the one who originally said that.

I wonder with the Shadow Broker DLC coming out in 2 weeks if that's going to be included in the game and how that's presented. All of the other DLC packs that have come out seem to naturally assume that they're doing during the course of the game (they come from messages from the Illusive Man) although they can be played after the completion of the main game, despite whatever ending you choose/get (well except for 1 I guess.)

This DLC HAS to take place after a certain point in the main game once you meet Liara again. I just wonder on the PS3 version if it will prompt after you see Liara or if it will wait until the game's ending to prompt for it.

[quote name='jh6269']Awesome news. This is the only game that PS3 didn't have that I was kind of jealous of. Let's hope they improve the graphics for the PS3 version; I saw it on my friend's 360 and wasn't impressed (looked absolutely nothing like they showed on the TV commercials).

Oh, and Vesperia is on PS3, just not in the US :( which sucks.[/QUOTE]

It's easily one of the best looking games out there, are you sure he was playing ME2?

I hope that this game doesn't have the load time issues that ME 1 had..... I was enjoying ME 1 but the load times started to get to me, plus the running around talking to everyone started to get kinda tedious. I know that the running around talking to everyone is what makes Mass Effect.... Mass Effect but the load times associated with going from here to there, kinda got to me.

So, is there like a video that tells the story of ME1? I've read around and people have said that playing or knowing the story of ME1 would make ME2 more enjoyable or at least understand what's going on.

[quote name='DKYang']So, is there like a video that tells the story of ME1? I've read around and people have said that playing or knowing the story of ME1 would make ME2 more enjoyable or at least understand what's going on.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_opf7-bWIR8

[quote name='MSUHitman']Sorry gotta disagree with ya there TMK. I couldn't get rid of FF XIII quick enough. I think it's the worst FF released on console (can't decide if FF III on DS is worse) and the end of me ever buying a FF again for full price and/or new instead of used. I couldn't stand playing but a few hours of FF XIII, but loved playing Alpha Protocol, despite its flaws.[/quote]In my situation, after FFX, I just wasn't able to find a FF I liked outside of Crisis Core on PSP. When playing FFXIII, it just had so much I loved the game. The great time I had playing FFX, I had playing FFXIII. It wasn't as good as FFX to me, but definitely the best FF since then. FFXII was BEYOND the worst FF game I ever played in my lifetime, and I was someone who wanted the game more than anything.

I'll admit that I hated the lack of traditional towns in FFXIII and wish the difficulty wasn't so inconsistent, but everything else I just loved. First JRPG I fell in love with that much since Xenosaga Episode IIII/Kingdom Hearts II. Hope, Vanille, Snow, Sazh, etc. were just really close to my heart when playing through the game. I really want to Platinum the game, but I just don't have time with my backlog. Only game I might like better than FFXIII is MGS4.

The JRPG lineup of 07/08 (Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, and Valkyria Chronicles) blows away FF XIII IMO. Blue Dragon is DEFINATELY the weakest of the 5 games I mentioned, but I'll put up ANY of those other 4 against FF XIII any day of the week.
I fully disagree. I found Blue Dragon to be garbage (and I like 90% of turn based RPGs too). Eternal Sonata was great, but not as good as FFXIII and some others. Lost Odyssey was really great, but I just didn't like its older characters much and had too many technical issues (still a great storyline and soundtrack). ToV was good, but I just couldn't like it as much as ToS or TotA (Yuri as a main character hurt, I just love my younger main characters). Valkyria Chronicles was excellent, but not TMK type characters. FFXIII was still the JRPG I put the most time into and enjoyed most. Star Ocean: TLH follows right behind it.

Of course I named Tales of Vesperia 2008 RPG/XBox 360 GotY on my podcast so I'm a little biased. :) [Full disclosure that was the first Tales game I had beaten, played about 10 hours of Symphonia on Gamecube with some friends once.]
I'm all about Tales of Symphonia (with its story and characters, plus I enjoyed its battles most from all Team Symphonia Tales games). However, my overall favorite Tales would be the Tales of Destiny series (first one on PS1 and 2nd one on PS2, not ToE although I like it too).

Back to Mass Effect 2; I'm glad it's coming to PS3 only because I personally know some PS3 only owners so now they get to play an awesome game. I think something is missed by not being able to start their character from ME 1, but it's the best Bioware/EA can do with an imperfect situation, as MS apparently has a deathgrip on ME 1 that cannot be shaken unlike other timed exclusives MS has had (Eternal Sonata, Ninja Gaiden 1/2, Star Ocean 4, and Tales in Japan only so far.)

Plus more sales equals more Bioware games. As long as the quality remains constant, I'm happy.
Everyone one of those games you listed, I own/owned on PS3 (I even imported ToV on PS3).

^^ Yeah, no kidding. It will be even better if it's like $50 or less (with all of the DLC included).

I don't give a damn, how much they release it for.. I'm not buying this at 60 dollars regardless. hey... you wait over a year to release the game on PS3,then expect 60 dollars?! i don't think so.. 40 w/ the DLC is good. they've made they're money for this game... PS3 release is going to be pure profit for them. They can pass some of those savings onto the consumer.

Sorry to sound ignorant but is Mass Effect like an MMORPG or is it a completely single player story line like KOTOR?

[quote name='GTmaster39']Sorry to sound ignorant but is Mass Effect like an MMORPG or is it a completely single player story line like KOTOR?[/QUOTE]

Completely single player story line like KOTOR.

[quote name='Thomas96']I don't give a damn, how much they release it for.. I'm not buying this at 60 dollars regardless. hey... you wait over a year to release the game on PS3,then expect 60 dollars?! i don't think so.. 40 w/ the DLC is good. they've made they're money for this game... PS3 release is going to be pure profit for them. They can pass some of those savings onto the consumer.[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect 2 is so good that I would glady double dip and paid Bioware another $60, they deserve it.

[quote name='blueweltall']Mass Effect 2 is so good that I would glady double dip and paid Bioware another $60, they deserve it.[/QUOTE]

Serious?! that good huh? Now you got me a little hyped for game that doesn't come out till 2012.

[quote name='blueweltall']Mass Effect 2 is so good that I would glady double dip and paid Bioware another $60, they deserve it.[/QUOTE]Count me in for the triple-dip :cool:

[quote name='jh6269']I thought it came out January 2011... That's just a few months away Thomas.[/QUOTE]

lol that's the date that I'll probably end up finishing the game.

[quote name='Thomas96']I don't give a damn, how much they release it for.. I'm not buying this at 60 dollars regardless. hey... you wait over a year to release the game on PS3,then expect 60 dollars?! i don't think so.. 40 w/ the DLC is good. they've made they're money for this game... PS3 release is going to be pure profit for them. They can pass some of those savings onto the consumer.[/QUOTE]

Because all you do to port a game is flip a switch in the code, right? There's no development costs whatsoever.

And getting it a year later, it's totally a worse game! What's fun in 2011 is TOTALLY different than what's fun in 2010!

COME ON. This is the GOTY 2010, and you want a discount because, what, you feel they "owe" you for waiting a year to release it on the PS3?

I suppose Chrono Trigger DS should have been free, after all, it took them 13 years to release Chrono Trigger, a game released in 1995, on the Nintendo DS! The DS is totally superior to the SNES, and yet it took them 13 YEARS to FINALLY put it on the DS! And don't even get me started on some of those Xbox Classics and PSOne Classics they have on those marketplaces! OH MAN, THE NERVE OF SOME DEVELOPERS! Wanting money for things they work so hard on! What are they, SPOILED?

So yeah. /endrant

Getting a bit closer to release date (I believe sometime in January, 2011) here are some tidbits of news:

Rumor, Mass Effect 2 will have an interactive comic book, think Choose Your Own Adventure, which will help recap the story from the first Mass Effect.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/07/rumor-interactive-mass-effect-comic-will-fill-in-players-of-ps3/
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1132898p1.html

There might be a good chance to see a lot of the dlcs included on disc (maybe).
http://www.1up.com/news/mass-effect-2-ps3-offer

Surprisingly, there isn't a whole lot of information for the PS3 version. Does anyone have screenshots/videos of it running on ps3?

[quote name='blueweltall']Mass Effect 2 is so good that I would glady double dip and paid Bioware another $60, they deserve it.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it's that good. I might buy it again either way but it'll probably drop in price soon enough after release. If I haven't already play it, it would definitely be worth $60.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Because all you do to port a game is flip a switch in the code, right? There's no development costs whatsoever.

And getting it a year later, it's totally a worse game! What's fun in 2011 is TOTALLY different than what's fun in 2010!

COME ON. This is the GOTY 2010, and you want a discount because, what, you feel they "owe" you for waiting a year to release it on the PS3?

I suppose Chrono Trigger DS should have been free, after all, it took them 13 years to release Chrono Trigger, a game released in 1995, on the Nintendo DS! The DS is totally superior to the SNES, and yet it took them 13 YEARS to FINALLY put it on the DS! And don't even get me started on some of those Xbox Classics and PSOne Classics they have on those marketplaces! OH MAN, THE NERVE OF SOME DEVELOPERS! Wanting money for things they work so hard on! What are they, SPOILED?

So yeah. /endrant[/QUOTE]

I have no doubts that the game is going to be good, but I just wish that they'd release ME2 at about 49.99... but then again K-mart will probably have a sale on this. 20 gaming coupon will suffice.

[quote name='paulluat08']They need to port Mass Effect 1 first imho.[/QUOTE]

I think there are some contract issues for that one; plus I think ME2 has more marketability at this point in time. Although, it would've been nice to have ME1 also on the PS3.

I've heard a lot of good things about Mass Effect 2, so I'm looking forward to trying this game out in January! I like how we're able to make decisions in the interactive comic book, that will effect our Mass Effect 2 game. That really compensates for the fact that we can't play Mass Effect 1 and carry our saves across.

[quote name='paulluat08']They need to port Mass Effect 1 first imho.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dejeckt']I think there are some contract issues for that one; plus I think ME2 has more marketability at this point in time. Although, it would've been nice to have ME1 also on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

MS holds the publishing rights to the first title, so no go for PS3.

I was thinking of buying the first game on PC until I just double checked before pulling the trigger on it to make sure it wasn't loaded down with anti-piracy stuff.

And lo and behold sure enough Securom is spammed all over it as well as frequent logins every few days to EA HQ just to make sure you still are using it legitimately. :roll:

Edit: With the 1.02 patch it's a one time only activation, but Securom still comes in tow. And they removed the 3-time only installation BS, but you have to jump through hoops to make that work.

Sigh, and I used to buy PC games all of the time. No wonder I quit doing it (and I won't use Steam as an option). :cry:

Guess I'll miss out on Mass Effect 1 then....

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='uncle5555']MS holds the publishing rights to the first title, so no go for PS3.

I was thinking of buying the first game on PC until I just double checked before pulling the trigger on it to make sure it wasn't loaded down with anti-piracy stuff.

And lo and behold sure enough Securom is spammed all over it as well as frequent logins every few days to EA HQ just to make sure you still are using it legitimately. :roll:

Edit: With the 1.02 patch it's a one time only activation, but Securom still comes in tow. And they removed the 3-time only installation BS, but you have to jump through hoops to make that work.

Sigh, and I used to buy PC games all of the time. No wonder I quit doing it (and I won't use Steam as an option). :cry:

Guess I'll miss out on Mass Effect 1 then....[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need to use Steam. I'm pretty sure Steam games do not use any form of DRM other than Steam. I did a quick search and Mass Effect does not include any form of DRM, Securom or otherwise.

I would strongly suggest you play the first (and superior, in terms of gameplay) Mass Effect. Thought it's not necessary, the story is excellent and definitely makes the second game more enjoyable. As an added bonus, the PC version runs better if you have semi-decent hardware.

[quote name='Vinny']Sounds like you need to use Steam. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='uncle5555']

[/QUOTE]

I usually don't quote myself, but in this case. ;)

[quote name='Vinny']
I'm pretty sure Steam games do not use any form of DRM other than Steam. I did a quick search and Mass Effect does not include any form of DRM, Securom or otherwise.

I would strongly suggest you play the first (and superior, in terms of gameplay) Mass Effect. Thought it's not necessary, the story is excellent and definitely makes the second game more enjoyable. As an added bonus, the PC version runs better if you have semi-decent hardware.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for looking into for me Vinny, but my DSL isn't fast enough for stuff like Steam, plus I like having physical discs on hand for convenience.

And that last thing makes me mad too, I built a new rig last year, that is more than powerful enough to tackle any game released, but due to all of this DRM garbage on pretty much every PC game released in the last few years, I won't play/buy them because of that.

(Was going to post this next bit last night after spending 4 hours looking into alternatives or options for Securom)

Lastly, after finding a list of Securom games, I checked out all of the PC games I've bought in the last few years (the ones I couldn't play due to an aged PC) to find out almost every one of them was on the list and has Securom included with them... :roll:

I'm looking into an option to run a VM of XP or something, install the game and play it off of that, then trashing the VM when I'm done playing it, thereby the threat of Securom installed on my main OS being bypassed.

No wonder I gave up PC gaming, it's almost too much hassle these days to play games you legitimately purchase. =/

[quote name='uncle5555']I usually don't quote myself, but in this case. ;)

Thanks for looking into for me Vinny, but my DSL isn't fast enough for stuff like Steam, plus I like having physical discs on hand for convenience.

And that last thing makes me mad too, I built a new rig last year, that is more than powerful enough to tackle any game released, but due to all of this DRM garbage on pretty much every PC game released in the last few years, I won't play/buy them because of that.

(Was going to post this next bit last night after spending 4 hours looking into alternatives or options for Securom)

Lastly, after finding a list of Securom games, I checked out all of the PC games I've bought in the last few years (the ones I couldn't play due to an aged PC) to find out almost every one of them was on the list and has Securom included with them... :roll:

I'm looking into an option to run a VM of XP or something, install the game and play it off of that, then trashing the VM when I'm done playing it, thereby the threat of Securom installed on my main OS being bypassed.

No wonder I gave up PC gaming, it's almost too much hassle these days to play games you legitimately purchase. =/[/QUOTE]

I really did read your entire post... that's why I said you "need" to use Steam. You said you won't use it but didn't say why so I figured you were just writing off Steam b/c you think it's like other DRM.

But yeah, without a fast connection, I can't recommend it to you.

[quote name='Vinny']I really did read your entire post... that's why I said you "need" to use Steam. You said you won't use it but didn't say why so I figured you were just writing off Steam b/c you think it's like other DRM.

But yeah, without a fast connection, I can't recommend it to you.[/QUOTE]

No problem Vinny, I appreciate the help and recommendation. :)

I decided to buy both for PC (got'em for $26 total at Amazon brand new) and also did some research on the free versions of VM programs and came out with favorable results, so I'll probably just play'em inside of VM environments and when done trash the "infected" VM's and thereby not exposing my main OS to their crappy spyware and having to clean my system afterwards. (another hassle IMHO)

And you're not too far off the mark, I do actually consider Steam another form of DRM, I know most people love it, but I am not one of them, still not hating on people who use it, everybody does what they feel comfortable with.

And in the end this is what worked for me, so it's all good. ;)

Ditto.:applause:

We got our release date.

January 18, 2010!

A mere month away. But my question is, do you guys think this'll drop quickly due to its release a year ago? Or do you think due to it being a GOTY, has all the DLC, and generally is a PS3 game that it'll drop very slowly like most PS3 games?

bread's done
Back