Mavs to the Finals: Congrats to the Heat

[quote name='"AP"']
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was fined $250,000 by the NBA on Tuesday for his outbursts following Game 5 of the NBA Finals.
Cuban was cited for “several acts of misconduct” after Dallas lost 101-100 in overtime to the Heat in Miami on Sunday night.
Upset with some calls that he felt went against the Mavericks, Cuban went onto the floor after the game to vent at official Joe DeRosa. He then stared down and screamed toward commissioner David Stern and a group of league officials, from the court, then the stands.[/quote]

Ouch.

[quote name='guyver2077']just read that.. man he whines for everything.. i pray the series ends tonight (slim chance) ..i dont hate the mavericks but their owner sure is a dick[/quote]

He may whine a lot, but he's already done so much good for the sport, and I'd be willing to bet everyone of you guys would love him if he owned your team.

Avery Johnson is still the most overated coach in the NBA. The moron was signaling for a timeout after the first freethrow confusing the less than a scholar Howard. Besides that Howard had a excellent game good enough to beat the Heat. Look at the final two minutes of every game in this series. When its fast pace no set offense Dallas does alot better. But when its a half court set, the offense, looks lost. They havent posted up once to get the ball moving from side to side. All Avery wants is Terry and Dirk dribbling with very little ball movement.

Mike D' Antoni can get any player a open shot after a timeout. Avery Johnson will just say a few words to motivate his players and prays that Dirk hits a miracle shot.

AVery needs to draw up some plays that work.

This series already is the first under the 2-3-2 format, which began in 1985, that's seen the home team win the first five games.
Doesn't this imply that the whole "home court" thing is completely broken? I think I like the 2-2-1-1-1 format because it gives the team with the advantage the pivotal game 5 at home. Plus it give the "underdog" game 6 at home (when theoretically they should be trailing 3-2). Thoughts?

[quote name='DT778']hahaha, he's a piece of shit just like bell.

"we are going to play good defense to prevent easy layups" "we foul because thats how good our defense is"[/quote]

That foul had nothing to do with defense, it was because of a silly turnover. It's hard to defend a 2-0 break. That was just silly there. Would you rather have him shoot two free throws (which he's horrible at), or throw down a filthy dunk? The decision is easy. Raja Bell threw Kobe down for no reason. The suspension was bullshit because there's no way to tell that he did it on purpose. Shaq is so massive that in order to stop him from dunking AND shooting free throws is by fouling him hard, I would have done the same thing if I was in Stackhouse's shoes. They were down by like 13 at that point, so giving Shaq a free dunk wasn't an easy way to get back in the game.

[quote name='BodyShot213']Avery Johnson is still the most overated coach in the NBA. The moron was signaling for a timeout after the first freethrow confusing the less than a scholar Howard. Besides that Howard had a excellent game good enough to beat the Heat. Look at the final two minutes of every game in this series. When its fast pace no set offense Dallas does alot better. But when its a half court set, the offense, looks lost. They havent posted up once to get the ball moving from side to side. All Avery wants is Terry and Dirk dribbling with very little ball movement.

Mike D' Antoni can get any player a open shot after a timeout. Avery Johnson will just say a few words to motivate his players and prays that Dirk hits a miracle shot.

AVery needs to draw up some plays that work.[/quote]
Yeah Avery is so overrated....he took a team that hardly anyone thought was good enough to make it through the West to the finals. Meanwhile D'antoni still has a team that plays absolutely no defense and almost lost to the CLIPPERS. Get that nonsense out of here. D'antoni isn't even close to Avery in coaching, especially since Avery doesn't have any big playmakers like Nash and Diaw.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']He may whine a lot, but he's already done so much good for the sport, and I'd be willing to bet everyone of you guys would love him if he owned your team.[/QUOTE]
Cuban does whine a lot but you right he is a great owner and is good for the sport. He did so much for that franchise.

[quote name='bil4ltool']Yeah Avery is so overrated....he took a team that hardly anyone thought was good enough to make it through the West to the finals. Meanwhile D'antoni still has a team that plays absolutely no defense and almost lost to the CLIPPERS. Get that nonsense out of here. D'antoni isn't even close to Avery in coaching, especially since Avery doesn't have any big playmakers like Nash and Diaw.[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying Avery is overrated but how can you call Diaw a playmaker and then say Avery has none. Dirk, Howard and Terry are bigger playmakers than Diaw. And them almost losing to the Clippers is irrelevant also. Look at how many injuries they had. He did a great job coaching the Suns this year. Avery does make some poor decisions but he has the Mavs playing better defense then they have in a long time. I'm not saying one coach is beter than the other. Avery lacks experience.

[quote name='bil4ltool']

Yeah Avery is so overrated....he took a team that hardly anyone thought was good enough to make it through the West to the finals. Meanwhile D'antoni still has a team that plays absolutely no defense and almost lost to the CLIPPERS. Get that nonsense out of here. D'antoni isn't even close to Avery in coaching, especially since Avery doesn't have any big playmakers like Nash and Diaw.[/quote]

Diaw? OMG do not talk anymore. Dallas has one of the best rosters in the NBA next to the Spurs and a few other teams. To say that Diaw is a "big playmaker", a bench player that did shit in Altanta is quite idiotic. That Suns team was made up with players that no body wanted with the exception of Nash.

Youre like the biggest fanboy on here that speaks facts out of his ass without any valid substance to back it up.

AVERY got this Dallas team to play a little Defense and thats IT... Dirk got alot better this year and they got lucky against the spurs because Argentina boy got a bit little excited.

[quote name='BodyShot213']Diaw? OMG do not talk anymore. Dallas has one of the best rosters in the NBA next to the Spurs and a few other teams. To say that Diaw is a "big playmaker", a bench player that did shit in Altanta is quite idiotic. That Suns team was made up with players that no body wanted with the exception of Nash.

Youre like the biggest fanboy on here that speaks facts out of his ass without any valid substance to back it up.

AVERY got this Dallas team to play a little Defense and thats IT... Dirk got alot better this year and they got lucky against the spurs because Argentina boy got a bit little excited.[/quote]
Diaw is a better passer then anybody on the Mavericks, due largely in part to playing under the MVP Steve Nash. If good coaching did that to him than why isn't any other Sun besides Nash providing the same kind of spark? Didn't you notice that when Nash and Diaw were on the bench the whole team fell apart, but if either of them were in the team was much more consistent? Just like McGrady in Toronto and O'neal in Portland, Diaw was a hidden gem on a garbage team. Don't try to discredit Diaw, the guy isn't the MIP for nothing, and he's definitely a great passing big man since he used to be a PG.

I think beating the Spurs is a little bit more impressive than beating the Clippers and Lakers. And NOBODY in their right mind would want Shawn Marion right? No one, you're right. Two all stars, but the team is only players no one wants.

Yeah all Avery did was get him team to play defense.....oh and I don't know if you noticed, but also put them on the verge of a championship. Just goes to show you that some solid coaching can make a non defensive minded team play some defense. I bet you wish D'antoni would incorporate that into his gameplan. Next year he will probably have three all stars, one of them being a two time MVP, and they still won't win the championship.

Avery overrated my ass....the team lost their best player in Steve Nash, their third best in Finley, and now they're in the finals. Any coach could do that though. I don't know what I'm talking about though, as you can clearly see. You're definitely the basketball wizard around here.

Avery may be inexperienced, but he's a tremendous coach. How many coaches take a good team to the finals in their first full year? Flip Saunders inherited a great team in Detroit, but his poor coaching and worrying too much about offense made them break in the playoffs. If anyone is overrated it's D'antoni. He should know that the run and gun no defense style will NEVER win a ring, you may beat some lackluster teams in the playoffs, but when they play the big guns they won't be able to get the job done.

No one on the Mavericks make plays happen like Nash does, and Diaw is getting that same feel on the offensive end. Dirk may drive to the hole, but he's not a really good passer, and Terry and Howard aren't either. They may have hot shooting nights, but this doesn't make them playmakers. Good shooter=/=good playmaker.

[quote name='Madskills1182']About the backcourt violation everyone said Wade commited the NBA comments: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2492756. The rule book states it wasnt a back court.[/quote]

Dude, I still dont know about that. And i can bet you that Wade thought he was in the backcourt when he caught that ball.

Remember that, Byran Scott ex GREAT Laker took the Nets to multiple championships in his second or third year. I highly doubt that people think Byran Scott is a awesome coach.

yes, diaw is a great passer, especially for being a PF/C, but that doesnt necessarily mean that you are a big playmaker...

i love diaw, but i can't really credit him with the term "playmaker"

[quote name='bil4ltool']Diaw is a better passer then anybody on the Mavericks, due largely in part to playing under the MVP Steve Nash. If good coaching did that to him than why isn't any other Sun besides Nash providing the same kind of spark? Didn't you notice that when Nash and Diaw were on the bench the whole team fell apart, but if either of them were in the team was much more consistent? Just like McGrady in Toronto and O'neal in Portland, Diaw was a hidden gem on a garbage team. Don't try to discredit Diaw, the guy isn't the MIP for nothing, and he's definitely a great passing big man since he used to be a PG.

I think beating the Spurs is a little bit more impressive than beating the Clippers and Lakers. And NOBODY in their right mind would want Shawn Marion right? No one, you're right. Two all stars, but the team is only players no one wants.

Yeah all Avery did was get him team to play defense.....oh and I don't know if you noticed, but also put them on the verge of a championship. Just goes to show you that some solid coaching can make a non defensive minded team play some defense. I bet you wish D'antoni would incorporate that into his gameplan. Next year he will probably have three all stars, one of them being a two time MVP, and they still won't win the championship.

Avery overrated my ass....the team lost their best player in Steve Nash, their third best in Finley, and now they're in the finals. Any coach could do that though. I don't know what I'm talking about though, as you can clearly see. You're definitely the basketball wizard around here.

Avery may be inexperienced, but he's a tremendous coach. How many coaches take a good team to the finals in their first full year? Flip Saunders inherited a great team in Detroit, but his poor coaching and worrying too much about offense made them break in the playoffs. If anyone is overrated it's D'antoni. He should know that the run and gun no defense style will NEVER win a ring, you may beat some lackluster teams in the playoffs, but when they play the big guns they won't be able to get the job done.

No one on the Mavericks make plays happen like Nash does, and Diaw is getting that same feel on the offensive end. Dirk may drive to the hole, but he's not a really good passer, and Terry and Howard aren't either. They may have hot shooting nights, but this doesn't make them playmakers. Good shooter=/=good playmaker.[/quote]

Wow.....am I the only the one here that thinks this guy is crazy?

Let's name what the Suns lost:
Amare
Joe Johnson
Q-Rich

Their 3 top scorers from last year.

Dirk's not a good passer eh? I guess that pass to Erick Dampier with 30 seconds left was nothing.

Well it's about to be game time. Heres hoping this game was as good as game 5. The backcourt thing i was just posting showing the league looked it over and said it was the right call. And i think bil4ltool is a little crazy too. Diaw is good...no way a playmaker though.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Wow.....am I the only the one here that thinks this guy is crazy?

Dirk's not a good passer eh? I guess that pass to Erick Dampier with 30 seconds left was nothing.[/quote]

Hell No.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']fuck yeah, these are some awesome stops by the mavs.[/quote]

I dont like the fast pace game if I'm a heat fan. Shaq is utterly useless at that pace. Avery listened to Cuban and decided to play at a much faster pace.

Shit dont you people want Zo to get a ring??? The man played thru a kidney transplant.

Wade's gotten a lot of BS calls so far. Marquis Daniels didn't even touch him on that lean-in shot in the paint.

EDIT: They just showed a replay of that again and it's even more obvious. I've been defending the refs all series but this is ridiculous. And what's with that defensive 3 seconds on Stackhouse?? The play-by-play guy said you're allowed to be in the paint as long as you want if you're defending someone within an arms length away... Stack had is damn hand on Wade.

The officiating has been pretty fair tonight....but the producers are doing an awful job, going to commercial in the middle of the game, and the sound has been screwy too! How odd.

By the way...Diaw averaged over 6 assists per in the first two playoff series this year. I guess he doesn't make plays though......that's absolutely great for a big man. Dirk will get some good passes here and there, but it's definitely not his strong point.

again, just because you get assists, doesn't mean you make big plays

EDIT: antoine walker with the shimmy on the floor! hahaha, i love it...so funny

Name a high assist guy in NBA history who wasn't considered a playmaker....Stockton, Kidd, Nash.....those guys are playmakers because they create good opportunities for other players. A big guy averaging 6 assists a game must be pretty good at creating shots for other guys considering the average NBA shooter makes less than half their shots.

Dirk is a damn good player, there are no Mavs who are good at creating shots for others. Dirk is much better than Diaw at making his own shot, but that's not all there is to being a playmaker...which a large reason Nash won the MVP.

[quote name='bil4ltool']Name a high assist guy in NBA history who wasn't considered a playmaker....Stockton, Kidd, Nash.....those guys are playmakers because they create good opportunities for other players. A big guy averaging 6 assists a game must be pretty good at creating shots for other guys considering the average NBA shooter makes less than half their shots.

Dirk is a damn good player, there are no Mavs who are good at creating shots for others. Dirk is much better than Diaw at making his own shot, but that's not all there is to being a playmaker...which a large reason Nash won the MVP.[/quote]
i'm looking at the term playmaker with something different in mind...i see a playmaker as a player who consistently gets the team motivated by making big plays (whether it be a shot, a great assist, a huge block, great steal, crazy rebound, etc.)...sure, setting up others for buckets is awesome and valuable, but i wouldnt consider Diaw a playmaker quite yet...i think dirk is a playmaker when he makes consecutive shot after consecutive shot that spurs morale into his teammates and the fans...nash is a playmaker because he speeds up the game and tempo to one that makes pheonix comfortable and basically "primes the pump" for the type of game the suns want to play...that's a big playmaker in my mind...but i guess there is not definitive definition for "playmaker"

[quote name='bil4ltool']Name a high assist guy in NBA history who wasn't considered a playmaker....Stockton, Kidd, Nash.....those guys are playmakers because they create good opportunities for other players. A big guy averaging 6 assists a game must be pretty good at creating shots for other guys considering the average NBA shooter makes less than half their shots.

Dirk is a damn good player, there are no Mavs who are good at creating shots for others. Dirk is much better than Diaw at making his own shot, but that's not all there is to being a playmaker...which a large reason Nash won the MVP.[/quote]

Diaw is a good player, but he can't create off the dribble, and the only reason he gets such high assists is because they play a wide open offense, with typically 3 high on different points around the 3, 1 at the free throw line, and 1 down-low.

Damn, I wish my Warriors would make a run at Zo' he's playing straight gorilla.

Dirk is a damn good player, there are no Mavs who are good at creating shots for others. Dirk is much better than Diaw at making his own shot, but that's not all there is to being a playmaker...which a large reason Nash won the MVP.[/QUOTE]

Diaw played pg back in ATL. I dont know why but I guess its cause he was the only one that knew how to pass the ball. It's the first him I've seen a guy that can play the 1 or 5 spot.

Terry just shot poorly. He had a wide opne look at the end. Another great game and a great series. Congrats Heat. If you told me before the season started that an Eastern Conference team except for the Pistons would win the championship I woul say your crazy.

i'm really happy for zo...although shaq played subpar, the role players really helped out a bit...haslem had some nice rebounds and posey played great too...even fatoine did ok ;)

congrats heat...i'm happy for them and for dwade and especially Zo and payton...they deserve it

Congratulations to the Heat. I'm especially happy for Zo (who really put the Miami Heat on the map back in the day), and GP (a hall of famer without question) and Dwayne Wade became a superstar. Good for Pat Riley too for winning this championship but more importantly building this team and this franchise. Dallas played admirably and I'm sure they will reload with next season (although I think Terry is a free agent). It was a great series, and overall a great season. I think the NBA is back and with young stars like Lebron, Wade, and Dwight Howard (had to throw the Magic big man in there) leading the way (not to mention great off the court guys as well) , things are looking brighter for the NBA.

Grave_Addiction,

I love your predictions...Dallas in six.
Dirk is still soft and NO championships to his name.

I bet on Heat in six...won $200...more $$ for games I guess.
Refer to post #738...

Miami definately deserved to win. They played pretty good though I gotta say I am really disappointed in Dallas. I can't believe they went back to playing nellie ball in the finals after playing so well throughout the playoffs. They were getting to the rack throughout the playoffs and should have continued to go to the paint, but they did not.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Miami definately deserved to win. They played pretty good though I gotta say I am really disappointed in Dallas. I can't believe they went back to playing nellie ball in the finals after playing so well throughout the playoffs. They were getting to the rack throughout the playoffs and should have continued to go to the paint, but they did not.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thoughts. They didn't beat the Spurs by settling for jumpshots.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Miami definately deserved to win. They played pretty good though I gotta say I am really disappointed in Dallas. I can't believe they went back to playing nellie ball in the finals after playing so well throughout the playoffs. They were getting to the rack throughout the playoffs and should have continued to go to the paint, but they did not.[/quote]

Werent you the guy that called Riley a sack of useless shit? Five Rings as a coach.

bread's done
Back