Mavs to the Finals: Congrats to the Heat

Well, it's because Wade really does get fouled every time he drives to the basket. If the Heat (excluding Wade) managed to hit any of those free throws this game wouldn't have been close.

10secs left in 4th Quarter, Shaq on the court. Why the hell didn't they foul him? Then when OT comes, they decide to foul him while they had like 4 to give.

It was bad enough that Howard missed both free throws, then later he calls a timeout. WTF for?!?

I do agree about the bad calls, hell this whole playoffs had a ton. That last play shouldn't have been a foul either. Game 3 should've went to Dallas. Shaq pushing off Dampier to get the rebound and he wasn't called for it, yet when Dampier fouls him he gets called and made the 2 free throws. This is why they need instant replays and challenges because the refs aren't perfect.

[quote name='gokou36']10secs left in 4th Quarter, Shaq on the court. Why the hell didn't they foul him? Then when OT comes, they decide to foul him while they had like 4 to give.

[/QUOTE]

When there is less than 2 minutes in the quarter, if you intentionally foul a player w/o the ball that player gets 2 FTs, and the team gets the ball back.

[quote name='ksuwild25']When there is less than 2 minutes in the quarter, if you intentionally foul a player w/o the ball that player gets 2 FTs, and the team gets the ball back.[/QUOTE]

Oh my bad. They should've double teamed on Wade instead of letting Griffin go 1on1 against him.

I dunno, I thought the officiating has been very tolerable. Refs are always going to miss a call here or there, but I can't say that they've been doing a terrible job. And I'm a Mavs fan; I am soooooooooo pissed at Dirk. He's had at least 3 lane violations this series. I know that's not his biggest screw-up, but that's probably the dumbest thing he can do... 3 times.

I did laugh my ass off when he tried to knock over that bike in the hallway. Then he decided just to kick some shit on the floor instead. I was laughing and cussing all night, I think I was delusional with rage.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Heat shot 49 free throws
Dallas only 25

Even though there about 6 or 7 hack a shaqs fouls the Heat (wade) got all the calls they wanted.

I'm not really a Heat or Mavs fan but shit like this is bogus.[/quote]
Why do people think free throw attemps have to be equal?

The Heat were taking it to the hole which usually results in more fouls.

Without reading anyone's comments, I'm going to make my own post on the game.

First of all ... WHAT THE HELL was Avery Johnson thinking, when he left Adrian Griffin on Wade 1 on 1 right before the end of regulation. UNACCEPTABLE.

Secondly, I think nobody on the Mavs should bitch and moan about whether the several fouls on Wade should have been called or not as he was driving to the hoop during the final seconds. I do believe the Mavs were the beneficiaries of a very similar call in the Spurs series when Nowitzki drove to the hole and picked up a foul off Ginoboli near the end of regulation. The referees have at least been consistent, and Wade was the aggressor all night during the game.

Third, Avery Johnson and Dirk were completely laughable when they suggested that the timeout mistake should have been taken back by the refs. I'm sure Chris Webber and other timeout blooper participants would love to have their timeout gaffs back, but unfortunately the refs can't bail you out once you fuck up.

This was the Mavs game to lose, and they totally blew it before any of these events occurred. They should have closed Miami out earlier, but they failed to do so. Miami deserved to win the game.

I still think Dallas has a great chance at winning this series because of home court advantage, but now I'm completely baffled on who will definitely win. I feel like if the Mavs are at home then they can remember how to close out teams, but at the same time I feel that Miami is a team that just won't go away. I think that Dirk will wake up for Game 6 (and 7 if there is one), but it's obvious Wade outclasses him. Maybe it's because he's too stoic, but I did see some fire from him when he was kicking stuff going to the locker room.

Anyways, great game and good luck to both respective fans on CAG.

I was trying to get through the day without looking at the score and watching it tonight, but the shit got ruined for me while I was channel flipping.

Oh well, at least I don't have to sit through 2 1/2 hours of basketball and be pissed off at the end.

[quote name='opportunity777']Without reading anyone's comments, I'm going to make my own post on the game.

First of all ... WHAT THE HELL was Avery Johnson thinking, when he left Adrian Griffin on Wade 1 on 1 right before the end of regulation. UNACCEPTABLE.
[/quote]
Doesn't matter if ten guys were guarding Wade, he would have drawn some mysterious phantom foul.

[quote name='opportunity777'] Secondly, I think nobody on the Mavs should bitch and moan about whether the several fouls on Wade should have been called or not as he was driving to the hoop during the final seconds. I do believe the Mavs were the beneficiaries of a very similar call in the Spurs series when Nowitzki drove to the hole and picked up a foul off Ginoboli near the end of regulation. The referees have at least been consistent, and Wade was the aggressor all night during the game. [/quote]
Referees consistent my ass. The foul in the Spurs series was a REAL FOUL! There are pictures of it, where Ginobli has a firm grip on Dirk's wrist.

Second, Terry got fouled on his last shot in regulation, no call. Wade wasn't fouled on his shot in OT, but for some mysterious reason he ended up at the foul line for his 24th and 25th free throws. That's consistency at it's finest, when a player not named Dwyane Wade gets legitamitely fouled there's no call, but when the jersey seller drives and has to take a tough shot because of solid D he gets the call. Big surprise! How about the call where Wade spun, traveled, then charged into Josh Howard, and then Howard was called for a block?

[quote name='opportunity777'] Third, Avery Johnson and Dirk were completely laughable when they suggested that the timeout mistake should have been taken back by the refs. I'm sure Chris Webber and other timeout blooper participants would love to have their timeout gaffs back, but unfortunately the refs can't bail you out once you fuck up.
[/quote] This is all true, but the fact of the matter is Wade shouldn't have been at the free throw line. Yes the disputing was stupid, but it doesn't matter, Wade was at the line shooting his 338th free throw of the night.

[quote name='opportunity777'] This was the Mavs game to lose, and they totally blew it before any of these events occurred. They should have closed Miami out earlier, but they failed to do so. Miami deserved to win the game. [/quote]
You mean like the game they would have won (game 3) had it not been for Dwyane Wade not getting called for his sixth foul multiple times? Shaq shoving Dampier and than going to the line? Haslem fouling Dirk and than shooting free throws on the "steal"?

[quote name='opportunity777'] I still think Dallas has a great chance at winning this series because of home court advantage, but now I'm completely baffled on who will definitely win. I feel like if the Mavs are at home then they can remember how to close out teams, but at the same time I feel that Miami is a team that just won't go away. I think that Dirk will wake up for Game 6 (and 7 if there is one), but it's obvious Wade outclasses him. Maybe it's because he's too stoic, but I did see some fire from him when he was kicking stuff going to the locker room. [/quote]
I thought the Mavs had a real chance to go up 3-2, but after they failed to call Terry's foul I knew it was over. The Mavs should have been closing out the series tonight, but oh well. I don't think the Mavs will when it now, it seems as though the refs are trying to set a record for how many times they can send a player to the line. I may sound like a conspiracy theorist here, but I think a large part of the way this series has turned out has to do with the fact that Shaq and Wade play on the Heat.

I don't know how any Maverick fan can act like tonight's game wasn't a complete travesty. When a player shoots as many free throws as the entire opposition something is definitely fishy. Wade is an incredible player, but I still find it laughable that he got so many calls.

72102485.gif

I think this pretty much speaks for itself.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']
72102485.gif

I think this pretty much speaks for itself.[/QUOTE]

Yep, just watched some of the game again. fuck the refs. If they want to call a foul on that possession it should be on Wade throwing Terry down near half court.

And regarding suspensions, they will probably suspend Dirk for the rest of the Finals and the entirety of next season for punting the ball into the stands. :lol:

After watching the game again and the Mavs players commentaries, I think the Mavs will beat the Heat. F'em.

I turned off the tv after the game was over and I didn't get to see Dirk's tirade but I caught it on Sportcenter this morning. I think he'll get fined but I don't think he'll get suspended, especially with him being Dallas' biggest star and the league doesn't want to lose a main attraction for casual viewers. I was surprised the foul was called on Wade at the end of the game especially since refs don't like to determine games on free throws unless something is blatantly obvious. Terry was fading away on the shot he took at the end of regulation and wansn't found on the shot attempt. If he was fouled you would expect him to complain to the refs but he was smiling because he missed the shot, so obviously he didn't think he was fouled. Also on SC they showed when Howard was at Wake he called a TO against Maryland when they had none left (much like Webber). Avery Johnson should've called JT over and told him to call the timeout instead of signaling and screaming it out with all of the confusion on the floor. It was a great game with some amazing clutch shots by a number of players. It will be interesting to see how close the refs will call the next game because it seems the deeper the series goes the more physical the games are becoming.

That was a foul, questionable yes, but a foul nonetheless. Howard calling that time out was really what killed the Mavs though.

I wouldn't be too concerned Mavs fans. The Mavs destroyed the Heat in Dallas. This series will go the full seven games.

Dirk isn't playing like he did previously. He needs to get the ball more and drive into the lane to creat stuff. Late in the 4th quarter the Mavs just kept forcing it up while Wade was able to go anywhere he wanted. The Mavs need to play through Dirk to win this and not Terry. Wade was shooting horribly but he kept driving into the lane and getting fouls or easy shots.

Yeah, and the timeout killed it. The Heat have all the momentum now, but we have seen how home court can change that. The Heat did what they needed to, and now the Mavs need to do the same.

that bank shot, though, by D Wade to tie the game was definitely Jordanesque, imo. even though i thought it was BS the mavs lost, Wade was doing some crazy shit.

Even though the call at the end of the game was questionable, the refs have been like this all playoffs. You can't blame them for the Mavs losing. If the Heat would of it a few more of those free throws this wouldnt have been a game. It was a close call and it went the Heats way. I think the Mavs have gotten tons of calls this series too. Fouls called on Haslem and Posey guarding Dirk have sometimes been ridiculous. It was an amazing game last night and the refs were just inconsitent the whole game likewise the whole playoffs.

I think there is agreement that great players get to the line when they aren't playing well, and that's one thing that separates them from everyone else. So, the free throw disparity and Wade getting the calls shouldn't come as any surprise considering how good he was playing. Dallas was just passive (glares at Nowitzki) and lost the game. I'm really hoping the Mavs win game 6 to make this a 7 game series.

Looks like it was a foul, I think it is Howard(?) bumping into D-Wade with his left leg and part of his arm as the shot was going up. Not a serious foul, but a foul nonetheless.

[quote name='gofishn']Looks like it was a foul, I think it is Howard(?) bumping into D-Wade with his left leg and part of his arm as the shot was going up. Not a serious foul, but a foul nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

The foul was called on Dirk. If the refs are gonna call a bs foul the least they can do is call it on someone that almost touched him. :roll:

[quote name='opportunity777']I think there is agreement that great players get to the line when they aren't playing well, and that's one thing that separates them from everyone else. So, the free throw disparity and Wade getting the calls shouldn't come as any surprise considering how good he was playing. Dallas was just passive (glares at Nowitzki) and lost the game. I'm really hoping the Mavs win game 6 to make this a 7 game series.[/quote]

If a player gets to line when he isn't playing well then why did Dirk shoot 7 less free throws in the last two games COMBINED?

The NBA is pushing Wade to ridiculous heights to increase popularity, no doubt. If they're going to call a nonexistent foul on the last play of OT, they should call a real foul on the last play of regulation, when Terry got hit on the elbows by none other than DWYANE WADE!

[quote name='gofishn']Looks like it was a foul, I think it is Howard(?) bumping into D-Wade with his left leg and part of his arm as the shot was going up. Not a serious foul, but a foul nonetheless.[/quote]

First Wade caught the ball in the frontcourt, and then he knocked Terry over on his way to the basket, than he draws a foul that never occured. fuck that.

[quote name='bil4ltool']First Wade caught the ball in the frontcourt, and then he knocked Terry over on his way to the basket, than he draws a foul that never occured. fuck that.[/QUOTE]

In the end it dosn't matter after the game is said and done. The refs have final word and you can bitch all you want but it won't change a thing. Though I do understand that you are expressing your opinions... just making pointless debate talk.

The Mavs should just blame the losses on the lame duck coaching of AVERY Johnson. Down the stretch he hasnt come up with any good plays and has Terry/Dirk just dribble and shoot over three defenders. Remember in game 4 where he had Dirk inbound and they went for the alley-op with seconds left in the game? WTF type of play drawing is that? This guy has gotten so much credit for basically motivating his team to play a little defense. But he is a terrible X's and O's coach and you will often find his play drawing at fault towards crunch time. Dallas looks so unorganized and have no set of offensive plays during the final minutes of every game. SLOPPY!

Avery aint no Greg Pop, Mike D, Phil J, or even a Pat Riley. Avery is just a good motivater that has the reject Del Harris do all the technical work.

Yeah the truth hurts.

[quote name='BodyShot213']The Mavs should just blame the losses on the lame duck coaching of AVERY Johnson. Down the stretch he hasnt come up with any good plays and has Terry/Dirk just dribble and shoot over three defenders. Remember in game 4 where he had Dirk inbound and they went for the alley-op with seconds left in the game? WTF type of play drawing is that? This guy has gotten so much credit for basically motivating his team to play a little defense. But he is a terrible X's and O's coach and you will often find his play drawing at fault towards crunch time. Dallas looks so unorganized and have no set of offensive plays during the final minutes of every game. SLOPPY!

Avery aint no Greg Pop, Mike D, Phil J, or even a Pat Riley. Avery is just a good motivater that has the reject Del Harris do all the technical work.

Yeah the truth hurts.[/quote]

You don't win coach of the year for being a motivational speaker.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qDdzU8Dxj4

Here's the video to Wade's backcourt violation. IMO, this should have been an easy call. Instead, it was the biggest play of the game, and the refs screwed the Mavs three times in that one possession.[/QUOTE]

I recall the announcers saying that going into the backcourt at that point in the game was legal.

You're allowed to CATCH the ball in the backcourt, but you're not allowed to catch it in the front and go into the back. This is why it was a backcourt, and the reason Wade was jumping to try to avoid it. Don't blame Avery Johnson, scoring 100 points while shooting HALF off the free throws that the other team shoots isn't a fluke.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']You don't win coach of the year for being a motivational speaker.[/quote]

Yeah it's a popularity contest.

Bottom line is, they would've had a chance to win the game, had there not been som much indecision amongst the Mavs after Wade's first free throw.

It even looked like Johnson was signalling for the timeout, so someone on his team made the gesture. Had that lapse not occurred, they would've had a better chance at winning the game.

i'll give you the backcourt violation should have been called...but there indeed was a foul...from the camera angle in the video, there didnt look like there was, but there ARE other angles to look at..

There was much less contact on that play then the play at the end of the regulation where Terry was hit. Not to mention that Wade charged through him after his uncalled backcourt violation. Jeez the NBA needs to adopt the NFL system of challenges.

[quote name='bil4ltool']There was much less contact on that play then the play at the end of the regulation where Terry was hit. Not to mention that Wade charged through him after his uncalled backcourt violation. Jeez the NBA needs to adopt the NFL system of challenges.[/QUOTE]

So are you now saying that they refs should have called an offensive foul on Wade? That's ridiculous. I think we all can agree that the backcourt should have been called, but you can still say that was a foul and be a Mavericks fan.

[quote name='bil4ltool']There was much less contact on that play then the play at the end of the regulation where Terry was hit. Not to mention that Wade charged through him after his uncalled backcourt violation. Jeez the NBA needs to adopt the NFL system of challenges.[/quote]

I'm just going to ignore what you say for the rest of the finals, because i'm hoping in your case, it's homeritis.

[quote name='bil4ltool']There was much less contact on that play then the play at the end of the regulation where Terry was hit. Not to mention that Wade charged through him after his uncalled backcourt violation. Jeez the NBA needs to adopt the NFL system of challenges.[/QUOTE]

If they did that, then what plays could be under review? It would slow the game down to a crawl. I think the NBA's use of Instant Replay now is great (end of quarter shots), but the only way to really improve is to have better officiating. I have a lot of respect for Mark Cuban for pushing for a better system of picking officials, etc..

Overall, the officiating throughout the playoffs has been atrocious. The league has mishandled a couple of the suspensions imo. I agree that there should be a lot of change, but I also think that the teams that should have won did win. The officials have yet to blow a series. If the Heat win this series, I can point to Game 3 & 4 where the Mavs blew a game and melted down in the other. They gave up the momentum by not playing well.

In Game 5, the team that deserved to win did. Mavs blew the game plain and simple. If they close out the game, we don't have this discussion.

In the NBA, great players can take over a game and perform at a high level. When a great player takes advantage of the officiating, it's a part of what makes them great. It's just sour grapes for the Mavs to be whining about losing the game. If they don't win the series, I guess Cuban and gang will blame everyone except themselves.

I still pick Mavs in 7 to win this series regardless of my thoughts on their poor play and pouty attitude.

[quote name='opportunity777']
Overall, the officiating throughout the playoffs has been atrocious. The league has mishandled a couple of the suspensions imo. I agree that there should be a lot of change, but I also think that the teams that should have won did win. The officials have yet to blow a series. If the Heat win this series, I can point to Game 3 & 4 where the Mavs blew a game and melted down in the other. They gave up the momentum by not playing well.

In Game 5, the team that deserved to win did. Mavs blew the game plain and simple. If they close out the game, we don't have this discussion.
[/quote]

No, just no. Game three was the same situation, where the refs allowed the Heat back into the game. While not as bad it was the same thing. How can you say the Mavericks didn't deserve to win last nights game? They were beginning their domination and started playing fabulous by the half. Then when the third quarter hit the refs sent Wade to the foul line every time he touched the ball. It's hard to build a decent lead when the other team gets to have a good free throw shooter shoot a ridiculous amount of free baskets. How on earth did the Mavs blow the game? Honestly, please explain to me how it was their fault they lost? It's not easy to win when the oher team doubles your free throw numbers. Don't give me that "free throw disparity doesn't matter" argument either. The Mavs aren't known for aggresive defense, so it baffles me how the Heat got to the line for 49 shots.

By the way, I never saw Josh howard even look at a ref about that timeout, let alone talk to them about it. He was looking at Avery asking about it, if you watch the footage you can tell. Regardless of that call it never should have come down to that considering Wade was backcourt anyway, and should have been called for a charge.

In game 3 Wade played 10+minutes of the fourth quarter with 5 fouls, and even though he commited at least three fouls he was never called for his sixth, what a huge surprise. There were dozens of bad calls at the end of that game too, but nothing like last nights game.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Paging Dirk Nowitzki, Dirk Nowitzki please come to the NBA Finals.[/quote]

I second that. He has yet to play at the same level he has throughout the playoffs. I just don't understand it.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I second that. He has yet to play at the same level he has throughout the playoffs. I just don't understand it.[/quote]

Agreed, he doesn't seem to be shooting decent, and he's missing everything. The ball doesn't seem to be going through him on offense like it usually does either. I hope that game 5 fired him up, it sure seemed like it did. I hope him and Stack come out angry.

"I'd give him the same foul," Stackhouse said Monday when asked what he'd do if he finds himself as the last line of defense with Shaquille O'Neal going to the basket strong again. "Nothing changes about my approach to the game, not with Shaq or any player on their team. We have to make them earn it at the free throw line instead of them getting an easy layup. But I'd probably try to catch him a little better."

fuck yeah!

I get the feeling that if Stackhouse gets a chance on a break that a Heat player will put him on his ass. All Stack had to do was keep his right forearm from going upside Shaq's head. That was the main problem with the whole thing.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']fuck yeah![/quote] hahaha, he's a piece of shit just like bell.

"we are going to play good defense to prevent easy layups" "we foul because thats how good our defense is"

bread's done
Back