Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

BTW, I think you have to set your audio input/output to a headset (it's not default; it's Standard device) because otherwise audio comes out from your TV speakers. I was having a problem with this earlier.

I just got off. In that last match, it took 4 guys to take me down AND it jammed on me because of friendly fire (insert coolness pose right here). BTW, the friendly fire lock is seriously annoying. I wish there was a way to turn it off. Because it's cost me a few times.

EDIT: Am I in the clan or not? Just curious.

Woooo. I definitely should have spent a little more time learning the controls before jumping right into a game. It was fun, although it seemed like there was just as much run-and-gunning (running-and-gunning?) as I remember there being on the PS2.

I don't think the training lobbies are good at all. After going through them going into a game, I was like...'man, that training sucked'. After about the 3rd round in a game, I knew what was going on and what to do. I'm definitely going to try and get my ranks up in my skills though (if I can)
If I could find out how to complain to Konami about some gripes (IE headset set as standard output device for chat) and those were ironed out, I could see people putting the entry way gripes behind them and putting a lot of time into it.

I like the friendly fire lock.

I think the way to disable it is to not link up with anyone in SOP. The lock is part of the drawbacks of having the SOP. You have more awareness of your teammates and surroundings, but have more restrictions.

I've shot teammates to death all without an SOP lock, on accident of course since he was jumbled in the middle of some enemies.

I don't really like the first person mode if you have any sort of scope, say like the P90. It holds the gun too far from the camera that the scope is just a tiny thing on screen and it does more to obscure my vision. Is there some way to look through things like red dot scopes in FPS mode?

[quote name='espy605']Damn that was fun. If this game didn't have CQC I don't think I'd be playing. GG all![/quote]

Quite mean with a knife.

Can't count the number of times I was running backwards trying to get a headshot before I got stunned/knifed.

[quote name='espy605']Damn that was fun. If this game didn't have CQC I don't think I'd be playing. GG all![/quote]

Dude I was asking you the hold round how you were doing the CQC moves....

[quote name='Maynard']Dude I was asking you the hold round how you were doing the CQC moves....[/quote]

I can barely hear people on their headsets, I think I typed that. The tutorial shows you the basics, depends on which CQC move you want to do.

Quite mean with a knife.

Can't count the number of times I was running backwards trying to get a headshot before I got stunned/knifed

Thanks marten. I realized I can't kill anyone with the guns so I stick to this. It doesn't work too well when I'm running across a field at someone though. I need a longer knife.

The funniest thing is drunkdragun, he'd shoot everyone else but when he fought me, he'd break out his knife.

Really a lot of fun playing with CAG versus random servers.

Some of you are too good with a knife. The thing that surprised me is how Marten and Budge managed to not shoot me while I was puking my guts out, though it made for some nice headshots. It would be nice to be able to record these matches like Halo 3 does.

the CQC seems clumsy to me, perhaps i'm doing something wrong.

i haven't played with you guys yet, but in my experience so far if everybody would just stop playing this game like HALO it would be a lot better.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Some of you are too good with a knife. The thing that surprised me is how Marten and Budge managed to not shoot me while I was puking my guts out, though it made for some nice headshots. It would be nice to be able to record these matches like Halo 3 does.[/quote]

I don't think we need to relive that, thank you very much. ;)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Some of you are too good with a knife. The thing that surprised me is how Marten and Budge managed to not shoot me while I was puking my guts out, though it made for some nice headshots. It would be nice to be able to record these matches like Halo 3 does.[/quote]

Haha! I saw you roll around in the barrel like in four matches. How do you do that? I saw them shoot you too when you were puking and they kept missing, it was weird.

[quote name='espy605']Haha! I saw you roll around in the barrel like in four matches. How do you do that? I saw them shoot you too when you were puking and they kept missing, it was weird.[/quote]
When you find the barrel and equip it, just press X and you'll tip it over and use the analog stick to roll it around.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']When you find the barrel and equip it, just press X and you'll tip it over and use the analog stick to roll it around.[/quote]

Ah, cool. You were like the only one that kept doing it, ha.

I have level 3 knife (mastered) (L3 knife adds the ability to kill people you take hostage) and almost level 2 fast move, and almost level 2 CQC. Sucks is that you can only use 4 points, so if I use L3 knife, I can't equip fast move and CQC.

This game takes a lot more getting used to than I thought. Hopefully next time we all get together we can work out some way so that we can all talk. I want to hear marten talk about the fun times he has while getting fucked up by drunkndragon.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']This game takes a lot more getting used to than I thought. Hopefully next time we all get together we can work out some way so that we can all talk. I want to hear marten talk about the fun times he has while getting fucked up by drunkndragon.[/quote]

I need to charge my bluetooth for it.

Best part of those games was shooting electrowhoever through the grates of the towers he kept sitting in. I liked how he tried to hide at the only cement part (right by the ladder), and I had >< enough to shoot him.

Once, he even jumped off of the tower and died.

That made me happy.

Then I got knifed. fucking espy. :booty:

[quote name='marten']I need to charge my bluetooth for it.

Best part of those games was shooting electrowhoever through the grates of the towers he kept sitting in. I liked how he tried to hide at the only cement part (right by the ladder), and I had >< enough to shoot him.

Once, he even jumped off of the tower and died.

That made me happy.

Then I got knifed. fucking espy. :booty:[/quote]

:D I think when we started playing as a CAG group, I only shot a gun like three times. Two times it got me killed (thanks drunkdragun). The third time I was so far behind someone I had no chance of catching up so I just broke out the gun.
My favorite thing to do is hide in a cardboard box, wait for someone to come by, pop out, CQC them or knife them. Zap! I hardly saw anyone else use the cardboard box, though. Although you shot me a few times when I was hiding in the box so that might be why.

It's also pretty funny when people freak out and they start shooting each other, and I manage to get all two or three people then I hear people mumbling over the bluetooth headset. Usually though I eat it pretty hard in those situations.

The capture the flag games are my favorite, people actually worked together it was pretty neat.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'd love to shoot you in the face some more.[/quote]

That seems to be a common sentiment among many people.

Wonder why..... :lol:

I need to come up with a more creative way to kill you.

Death by cardboard box.

Or how many times would I have to roll over you with a barrel....

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']At least I can pull the trigger when you get ahold of a barrel.[/quote]

Ho ho ho.

And you'll wonder why it isn't shooting.

And then you'll see you're trying to use a knife on a barrel.

That's like 38 times worse than missing a headshot on someone throwing up. :D

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I just got off, so it'll have to wait until the morning.[/quote]

Looks like there's a limit to how many people can be in a clan. I wonder if the clans and leveled up skills carry over to the final release.

Try playing it like this:

Ignore all the other functions for now. Just focus on moving around in third person, and use only the Over the Shoulder aiming mode. One you understand the pacing when fighting like that, then experiment with the other aspects. If played this way, it's similar to any other 3PS. Then you can add on more layers on complexity as needed.

The core movement, shooting, and pacing is actually quite nice. It could take 1-2 less shots to kill an opponent when hitting the chest, but the pacing helps allow for more teamwork, and if you have a good aim, or just a fast firing weapon a single headshot will kill someone.

If someone can master the knife and CQC they'll be a force to be reckon with. I remember on the old MGO where people would just set up games with knifes or CQC only. Great fun. Still trying to master it here though.

[quote name='Thongsy']If someone can master the knife and CQC they'll be a force to be reckon with. I remember on the old MGO where people would just set up games with knifes or CQC only. Great fun. Still trying to master it here though.[/quote]

Yeah CQC and knife is deadly.

It can't beat teamwork though. As soon as you use a CQC move you're locked in place, making it easier for an enemy to get a headshot on you.

On the other hand, there is the SOP friendly fire lock. The most common maneuver I see people use is the throw down, no one uses the human shield move that much. It's better to use the human shield move early on in matches when people are more likely to be hooked into SOP, which means the friendly fire lock is in place. However later on a match it's as common.

Good games last night guys. My favorite part was when I was up the roof tops and I kept sniping the guys with the little frogs. That was great. Of course Tanuki kept ruining it for me, I think he was the only one that really knew where I was at.

Also, can anyone link to a good CQC guide? Written or a video, or something. I just don't quite get it all.

[quote name='shipwreck']Ugh... can't say that I cared for this much at all. Only played for 45 minutes or so, but I can't see why I would come back to this when existing multiplayer games are already far superior to this. Unless you are a diehard Metal Gear fanatic, I just don't see the appeal.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the single player game, but multiplayer Metal Gear just does not work for me.[/quote]

Yeah, once you play games like Meet The Robinsons it holds a pretty high bar to other games.....

[quote name='Davestation']Yeah, once you play games like Meet The Robinsons it holds a pretty high bar to other games.....[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

My overall take on it:

It's fun, but it's just not my style. It's a bit clunky, and takes some time getting used to. However, I'll still be playing it throughout the beta, I just don't feel it has legs for me.

I'd have to say I actually enjoy the game. Yeah, it can be a little clunky..and not having everyone communicating is a pretty big problem. But when it all works, it really works and it feels alot more tactical than alot of other multiplayer shooters.

bread's done
Back