Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

I demand moar info ( I know Snake and his little robot friend Otacon gave him is supposedly in the game but that's all I've heard)

Well I guess I just found a bug for Konami. Either this guy knew exactly where and when I would spawn every single time for the rest of the game or I was stuck in an infinite death mode (I'm guessing it's the second one since there was still a little more than a minute left in the game).

I'm getting sick of the two maps but for some reason, I keep finding myself turning the PS3 on....

Anyone know what Snake gets in this new mode? What's the objective? Is it Snake hunting down everyone and vice versa?

Well I discovered that single headshots won't kill in one hit. At least, not with SMGs. It'll drain a lot of health and stun you, but you'll live if it was just a one off occurance. However, since usually getting hit in the head and stunned means you're in a firefight, and that someone had a bead on you, it's as good as a one shot kill because the next shot will put you down, or the first shot will if you were down on health.

I had some great moments where I was alive and didn't realize it, and hopped back up after a grenade blast to surprise people. I'm also kind of disappointed that they seem to have fixed the shotgun so it is no longer the cheapest shit ever, but replaced it with the knife which is the cheapest shit ever. Unless there's a way to not die when you've been knocked on the ground and are being sliced up?

Only got to play for a short time this weekend. Went through the tutorials and that's about it. I'll def. be looking for CAG's when I get on tonight.

char name is "Aero"

Info on new mode w/ Snake:

So by now you probably know your way around Blood Bath and Gronznyj Grad like the back of your hand and you're starting to want more from your Metal Gear Online experience. The European beta has now been updated with a third map and a new gameplay mode. The new map, Midtown Maelstrom, is a medium size level set on the street of a war-stricken town. Hence the name.

As for the new gameplay mode, we expect the Sneaking Mission to be incredibly popular for the sole reason that Snake is a playable character. One player takes on his role, complete with OctoCamo, Solid Eye and other handy items (how does he carry so much stuff while sneaking around?). The aim is to move silently around the map trying to collect dog tags by defeating other players. If more than ten people are playing then another player takes the role of Metal Gear Mk II in order to help out Snake. Meanwhile two teams battle it out as usual.

So far we're loving the beta and an entire new map and game mode just three days in makes us go all a-tingle. This content should arrive for America after the maintenance work on the servers which will be occurring later.Tags: beta

via: PS3 Fanboy

[quote name='pete5883']I had some great moments where I was alive and didn't realize it, and hopped back up after a grenade blast to surprise people. I'm also kind of disappointed that they seem to have fixed the shotgun so it is no longer the cheapest shit ever, but replaced it with the knife which is the cheapest shit ever. Unless there's a way to not die when you've been knocked on the ground and are being sliced up?[/quote]

Yes, you avoid being knocked to the ground altogether. While the knife is strong, you have to get close enough to use it. I've fought plenty of people that were adept at avoiding me in many different ways, while shooting me at the same time. Or in many cases, the person I'm up against switches to knives or CQC also when they see me coming.

What gets a lot of people knifed is panicking, standing still, or not running away when they see someone coming after them.

The knife's strongest ability is it makes the knifer act more sneaky, because you have to get close enough to use it.

Seems just like the sneaking mission from the original, just with a partner.

Edit: I'm not sure if it was you or not, but somebody last night was able to literally warp (motion blur and all) between two people with the knife to CQC them, then stab them. I'm not sure it's so much that shooters aren't doing enough to not be CQC'd, but there should be a little bit of tweaking somwhere.

Sneaking games are up though, so feel free to get in on the action now. I think I'll throw some of these into the rotation for another CAG Game Night tonight.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Seems just like the sneaking mission from the original, just with a partner.

Edit: I'm not sure if it was you or not, but somebody last night was able to literally warp (motion blur and all) between two people with the knife to CQC them, then stab them. I'm not sure it's so much that shooters aren't doing enough to not be CQC'd, but there should be a little bit of tweaking somwhere.

Sneaking games are up though, so feel free to get in on the action now. I think I'll throw some of these into the rotation for another CAG Game Night tonight.[/quote]

I never played the original, but playing as Snake seems awesome if you're into CQC gameplay. I read you can't win as Snake if you kill people, you have to knock them out or tranq them to get their dog tags.

I don't recall warping ever, except sometimes lag makes people pop up in different places. I only used the knife in the last few matches since I'm leveling up my other skills, but I did kill 2-3 people in clusters a few times so it might've been me. I don't know, I've been killed plenty of times while trying to CQC people so I think it's fine the way it is. While I had an okay kill count, I was also killed the most last night, too.

On another note, I finally figured out how to disarm people, woohoo.

I'm definitely in tonight, just name a time. I'm curious how Snake and Mk. II work.

It'll probably be around the same time, though I may make it a bit earlier for those who have other things to do on weekdays.

The new map seems to be ripped straight from the demo that KP had at trade shows last fall. I got the chance to be Snake in the sneaking mission, which was pretty cool. I didn't know if you were nearly invisible by default or what, but being able to stay near one team's spawn point and not having at least a dozen walk by without noticing you is pretty cool.

So have they fixed the update issues yet? If not, I'm just gonna say fuck it to the beta since GTA4 is out tomorrow

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I gotta do that training thing sometime today, I have no idea how to use the knife yet.[/quote]

Hold L1, tap R1 to swipe, hold R1 hard to stab (poor recovery time, instant kill), tap R2 to stun (poor recovery, requires recharge, instant knockout). You can do all this without knife skill equipped. Knife L1 and higher let you move while attacking, and also increase the speed you attack.

It has autoaim on so anyone near you when you press R1 will be targeted, but the horizontal range of a hard stab/stun is very small so you have to be careful with timing.

You can also kneel over someone and do any of the above three knife moves.

Level 3 knife allows you to slit throats when you hostage someone, kind of useless since you also need L1 CQC to hold someone hostage, meaning you've used all 4 of your skill slots.

The new map seems to be ripped straight from the demo that KP had at trade shows last fall. I got the chance to be Snake in the sneaking mission, which was pretty cool. I didn't know if you were nearly invisible by default or what, but being able to stay near one team's spawn point and not having at least a dozen walk by without noticing you is pretty cool.
Cool. I read that you need at least ten people to have Mk. II enabled. So what can you tell us about Snake's abilities? Like I read if you throw someone down, they're instantly knocked out. And how does octocamo work? Or Solid Eye? Or anything! I am so pumped.

Didn't really get confrontational with anybody, just stuck with the Mosin Nagant to knock people out. The Solid Eye lets you choose between night vision, binoculars, and other mode I can't remember. You also have the ring around Snake that shows where the action is around you, but your radar/mini-map lets you see where enemies are, or at least a ring of sound around them. The Octocamo works by just lieing flat on the ground and playing dead, so he takes the camoflague of what's beneath him. He can lie on his back much more easily than it is with the standard characters we get.

I have to say, but I think I play pretty horribly as snake which seems impossible. I still can't decide if I want to do iron sights, over the shoulder or attempt auto aim. Because I checked my stats, and shamefully most of my kills came from auto aim. I'm also not sure if I should bother even bursting my shots since it takes a full mag to kill someone anyways or go automatic. Either way I rarely ever get headshots. Blargh.
/rant

Either way, playing as the little robot (MkII? I can never remember the name) was a blast.

What do you all use for aiming? (FP/over the shoulder/auto aim?) I was pretty excited about the shoulder view from the previews, but it seems way inaccurate unless you can stick a laser sight on any weapon. I'll probably end up going with the first person view for the main game. It'll be JUST LIKE OLD TIMES, SNAKE!

[quote name='metaly']What do you all use for aiming? (FP/over the shoulder/auto aim?) I was pretty excited about the shoulder view from the previews, but it seems way inaccurate unless you can stick a laser sight on any weapon. I'll probably end up going with the first person view for the main game. It'll be JUST LIKE OLD TIMES, SNAKE![/quote]

I did much, much better in the old MGO when I learned to headshot at close-med range without aiming down the sights. Trust me, with practice it'll be second nature and will pay off down the long run-because it's much faster.

It's even easier in the new MGO because there are crosshairs in the L1 view. Make sure Assault Rifle Mastery is one of your skills.

At longer range, aim down the sights.

Has anyone figured out how to give boosts? I saw that in your stats, one of them is how many times you have given boosts. However, I have no clue whatsoever on how to do that. Plus, I have never seen anyone do it before.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']awesome... i have no idea what Ill make, but I'll try and keep it in CAG spirit.[/quote]

Just make sure it's intimidating :cool:

I must say I did not really care for this at first. But after playing here and there the past two days it is really growing on me and I'm starting to get the controls down and have more fun.

I made a quick and dirty (not as much effort as a wished due to distractions) clan icon so if people don't like it or you don't like it frisky it I'll fix it again or do an an entirely new design with more time put into it... though it says I need to be given the rights to do so by the clan leader again if I want to make a new one.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I think I've seen one clan that has a mario/yoshi emblem and there are some others that have interesting emblems already.[/QUOTE]

you'll see how simple I made it. there's actually quite a bit of detail I did on it, but then I realized how damn small the thing is so none of it really shows up. I may make another down the line to accommodate for the small size.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']you'll see how simple I made it. there's actually quite a bit of detail I did on it, but then I realized how damn small the thing is so none of it really shows up. I may make another down the line to accommodate for the small size.[/quote]
Looks nice, but is it supposed to be backwards? Either way, I gave you editing rights again, so go over it again and make sure you've got it the way you want it since it's telling me that we can't edit again for a certain amount of time after it's finalized.

Edit: I've got some other things to do tonight, so I can't host a game tonight, but if you or somebody else wants to host a game, just use the same settings (server, name, pass, etc) and pick the game rotation you want.

[quote name='js1']I must say I did not really care for this at first. But after playing here and there the past two days it is really growing on me and I'm starting to get the controls down and have more fun.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I went from playing Team Fortress 2 to this so it was a big adjustment. The controls were throwing me for a loop for while. I'm having much more fun with it now that I've learned how to use CQC and the knife a bit better.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Looks nice, but is it supposed to be backwards? Either way, I gave you editing rights again, so go over it again and make sure you've got it the way you want it since it's telling me that we can't edit again for a certain amount of time after it's finalized.[/QUOTE]

wow... :lol: I am damn hell fucked up because the fact that it was backwards... I didn't even catch that. Shows that I am not around money much >_<

I'll try and get to it, but I'm heading out for GTAIV in a bit.

i dunno what's going on, but how do I join CAG clan? lol
I may not be available consistently for games, but it'd be nice to play with some cag folks once in awhile when i'm able to

I hate it when theres that assh*le player who always follows you giving away your position. One guy on my team kept CQCing me and throwing me when I was sniping. I responded back with claymores.

I suck with Snake.

It seems so hard to CQC someone. You have to get the jump on them, but its hard because if they see you they just auto aim and destroy you. And also if you sneak up behind them they can see in 3rd person and roll away and shoot you.

I was hoping CQC would be more accurate, and would give you a sort of lunge.

By the way if you're in aim mode there's a set of short hops you can do that can help you fend off CQC users. They're a bit better than the big roll you can do while running and pressing X, as you get your back up faster and there's not as much of a pause at the end of the animation.

If you are aiming, then press back and X you'll just to a very short hop backwards while still keeping your aim forward, perfect to get just out of reach of a CQC grab or stun knife.

Pressing directly to either side does this half summersault thing that looks kinda cool.

bread's done
Back