Most Disappointing game you thought would be incredibly fun?

[quote name='GonzoGamer']No More Heroes hands down. Didn't even have to think about that one.

That game got rave reviews, looked so cool, and it really could've been great if they had finished making it. Half the game was kind of fun but would've gotten annoying if the other half of the game wasn't a hell of constant tedium. The half ashed development and all the single player minigames (which were even less interesting than the minimum wage jobs they represented) made me feel like they should've been paying me to play it. Yea, I got the joke, but I think it was on us.

Sometime I think that instead of selling it on amazon, I should've *&^% in the case and sent it back to Grasshopper.

*end rant*[/quote]

Grr...I'm so confused when it comes to this game.

It oozes a nice mature anime style, which is very welcome on my end, as well as appearing to be some good ol simple beat em up gaming goodness. On the other hand it looks a bit shallow, and I'm wondering if all that style is really helping the gameplay or if it's just adding meaningless fluff.

I guess I'll wait for the price to go down for now....:cry:

[quote name='MrFixit66']new super mario bros. man, what a boring and stupidly easy game...[/quote]

Same here. the latest nintendo games have been really terrible for me, the nostalgia factor doesnt work anymore. i rented smash bros brawl beacuase of all the hype well it was boring and more of the same, havent bought a single game for my wii yet.

Army of Two. Picked it up after Cheapyd talked about it. I was hoping it would be like he said, similar to gears of war. Unfortunately it turned out to be just another 3rd person shooter. It could have been better if the controls and cover system were tighter, but everything in that game felt loose and clunky to me.

Also, sorry Lik, but FF8 was always my favorite of the entire series.;)

Gotta go with MRJESUS on FF8 being awesome.

Sherlock Holmes The Awakened really bored me, maybe it picks up later on but I didn't stick with it.

System Shock 2, it didn't captivate me quickly like Bioshock, probably a better game back in the day.

[quote name='dastly75']System Shock 2, it didn't captivate me quickly like Bioshock, probably a better game back in the day.[/quote]

It's funny, I went through a lot of effort to play SS2 before Bioshock came out, since I was afraid it would be irrelevant afterward, and I ended up liking SS2 more. I still enjoyed Bioshock, but having SS2 fresh in my mind made me see how it's pretty much a complete rehash.

[quote name='whoknows']Dead Rising

One of the reasons I got a 360 and one of the first games I got for it. I was very very disappinted in the game.[/QUOTE]

holy shit. same here. i almost sold my 360 because of my disappointment.
and yea, FF8 blew chunks.

Viva Pinata - why did I think taking care of paper animals would be fun?
Disgaea - sorry but leveling to lvl.999999 doesn't interest me
Pixeljunk Mosters - pretty lame
Orange Box - didn't like it. lame characters and portal is overrated

battalion wars

Super Smash Bros Brawl: SSE

the most annoying single player experience i have ever played. The should of had more battles and less side scrolling. some of the enemies were really annoying: the sparky cloud, the shadow dude who gains health over time, actually forget it half the enemys were hella annoying. The only thing that kept me going in this single player was unlocking the characters, otherwise i would not of played it at all.

[quote name='Dyson']#1)
#2) Metal Gear Solid 2, I didn't really flip out over not playing Snake, but the story was bad, very bad
[/quote]

how could you say this! every metal gear solid is is godlike, even if your doing cartwheels in a tight suit.

[quote name='MrFixit66']new super mario bros. man, what a boring and stupidly easy game...[/quote]

it wouldnt have been so bad if it was modeled after mario 3. not just in level design and secrets but also as far as the extra powerups go. the whole growing giant thing was stupid as was the mini mushroom. the whole time i was playing it all i could think was man i wish i had the frog suit here or man i wish i had the tanuki suit.

[quote name='sandrokstar']holy shit. same here. i almost sold my 360 because of my disappointment.
and yea, FF8 blew chunks.[/quote]

FF8 blew chunks?

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

*ESPLODES*

(pg. 2)
[quote name='ChaoticClimax']Metroid Prime

I bought it on release, played it for 10 hours and hated it, sold it, bought it again, got about 7 hours in and hated it, sold it, bought it one more time and it is still sitting there waiting for me to hate a third time. I can't understand for the life of me why people like this game so much, but I'll be damned if I don't finish it.[/quote]

Haha, I'm the exact same way. I've started it 2 times (sold it, re-bought it years later) and haven't finished. Maybe a the 3rd time's the charm? Heh.

I know what you're talking about in SSBB:SSE. Some of the enemies are REALLY annoying. What were they thinking?

LOL, "blew chunks."

[quote name='leveskikesko']Grr...I'm so confused when it comes to this game.

It oozes a nice mature anime style, which is very welcome on my end, as well as appearing to be some good ol simple beat em up gaming goodness. On the other hand it looks a bit shallow, and I'm wondering if all that style is really helping the gameplay or if it's just adding meaningless fluff.

I guess I'll wait for the price to go down for now....:cry:[/quote]

Wait, anime style=mature? I thought anime=awkward teenage love triangles...I need to recheck my math...

[quote name='SeanNOLA']Wait, anime style=mature? I thought anime=awkward teenage love triangles...I need to recheck my math...[/quote]

Yeah, kind of like video games are only for children and man-children?

Silly me for thinking something mature could come from video games!

I would probably say Zelda DS: Phantom Hourglass. The controls are pretty clunky. I didn't like using the stylus for everything. Seems tedious.

[quote name='hero101']I would probably say Zelda DS: Phantom Hourglass. The controls are pretty clunky. I didn't like using the stylus for everything. Seems tedious.[/quote]

I got used to the controls pretty quick. It was being chased down by teleporting invincible jerkoffs every two hours that annoyed the hell out of me.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Yeah, kind of like video games are only for children and man-children?

Silly me for thinking something mature could come from video games![/quote]

Come on, like anyone over age 10 plays video games! I mean, you guys are all 8, too, right?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish my long division, or mom won't let me pre-order GTA IV.

wow.. i never had a thread reach 11 pages so.. yeah just wow..

I had some more I wanted to mention..

Oblivion (its TOO realistic for me.. I hate fixing my weapons)
Strategy games (like FF tactics).. I SHOULD like them.. but I DON't like them.. I love Starcraft, Age of empires and those kinds of games.. but the ones that are SRPG (strategy RPG) i can't handle them..

most games that are "cutesy" J-Anime games (like the majority of Atlus titles always fail to impress me).

some people mention New SMB.. I liked it.. I realize its a fairly simple game, but most SMB games were fairly easy the only one that was tough was the first 2.. 3 and world are incredibley easy when compared (i say 2.. meaning "lost levels" in america..)

[quote name='hero101']I would probably say Zelda DS: Phantom Hourglass. The controls are pretty clunky. I didn't like using the stylus for everything. Seems tedious.[/quote]

I got used to the controls pretty quick. It was being chased down by teleporting invincible jerkoffs every two hours that annoyed the hell out of me.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Yeah, kind of like video games are only for children and man-children?

Silly me for thinking something mature could come from video games![/quote]

Come on, like anyone over age 10 plays video games! I mean, you guys are all 8, too, right?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish my long division, or mom won't let me pre-order GTA IV.

wow.. i never had a thread reach 11 pages so.. yeah just wow..

I had some more I wanted to mention..

Oblivion (its TOO realistic for me.. I hate fixing my weapons)
Strategy games (like FF tactics).. I SHOULD like them.. but I DON't like them.. I love Starcraft, Age of empires and those kinds of games.. but the ones that are SRPG (strategy RPG) i can't handle them..

most games that are "cutesy" J-Anime games (like the majority of Atlus titles always fail to impress me).

some people mention New SMB.. I liked it.. I realize its a fairly simple game, but most SMB games were fairly easy the only one that was tough was the first 2.. 3 and world are incredibley easy when compared (i say 2.. meaning "lost levels" in america..)

Kingdom Hearts - Don't know why I thought I'd like this, I'm not a big fan of Disney or FF

Kessen III - Controls and clunky RPG elements killed it for me.

Killer 7 - Game sounds and looks much cooler then it actually is.

R&C Going Commando - I really burned out on this series after the first R&C - it's the same thing again and again and again

The Wii in general screams halfass to me. Tiny hd space, not so good motion controls (the light gun from the NES had better aiming), slow as hell loading times, COPY PROTECTED BRAWL SAVES, horrid 3rd party support, boring first party games (why is mario party a game? why is it popular? why must you torment me so?) - made worse with the inclusion of Sonic... Or maybe I just hate Mario and everything associated with him.

I did like Paper Mario N64 and NGC, but Super Paper Mario took everything that was fun about them and threw them out the window...

Brawl for all the reasons mentioned above. I loved Melee, I hate Brawl, but I play it anyway and complain all the time... SSE isn't bad, it's just too damn long, and trophy hunting is stupid. I knew from the Smash Dojo spoiler info that they were going to try to stuff too much into the game and ruin it, but I also knew that the hardcore nintendo fans were going to buy it regardless, so it's going to force itself into being popular no matter how bad it is - just like all the other first party games.

Heavenly Sword - I knew it would be short, but I didn't know it would SUCK ASS FOR THE WHOLE TIME.

Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword - this game just hurts my arm. It basically spells down to 'scribble as fast as you can in really short intervals, let go, and repeat'. Which = PAIN after 10 minutes. I suppose that extends the gameplay if I can play for 30 minutes a day max...

I will disagree with the VP2 Silmeria, but I never played the first one (never dropped in price, and now it never will) - I imported Silmeria, and the voice acting, at least to me, was perfectly fine (perhaps it was bad in english, but I wouldn't know). I rather enjoyed the puzzles (perhaps I wouldn't have if I hadn't had youtube to give me answers after being unable to figure things out right away - in particular the final secret dungeon), and really enjoyed the game overall (though I button mashed the battles because I never understood the timing, and once I got Frey... well, game over).

Kingdom Hearts - Don't know why I thought I'd like this, I'm not a big fan of Disney or FF

Kessen III - Controls and clunky RPG elements killed it for me.

Killer 7 - Game sounds and looks much cooler then it actually is.

R&C Going Commando - I really burned out on this series after the first R&C - it's the same thing again and again and again

The Wii in general screams halfass to me. Tiny hd space, not so good motion controls (the light gun from the NES had better aiming), slow as hell loading times, COPY PROTECTED BRAWL SAVES, horrid 3rd party support, boring first party games (why is mario party a game? why is it popular? why must you torment me so?) - made worse with the inclusion of Sonic... Or maybe I just hate Mario and everything associated with him.

I did like Paper Mario N64 and NGC, but Super Paper Mario took everything that was fun about them and threw them out the window...

Brawl for all the reasons mentioned above. I loved Melee, I hate Brawl, but I play it anyway and complain all the time... SSE isn't bad, it's just too damn long, and trophy hunting is stupid. I knew from the Smash Dojo spoiler info that they were going to try to stuff too much into the game and ruin it, but I also knew that the hardcore nintendo fans were going to buy it regardless, so it's going to force itself into being popular no matter how bad it is - just like all the other first party games.

Heavenly Sword - I knew it would be short, but I didn't know it would SUCK ASS FOR THE WHOLE TIME.

Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword - this game just hurts my arm. It basically spells down to 'scribble as fast as you can in really short intervals, let go, and repeat'. Which = PAIN after 10 minutes. I suppose that extends the gameplay if I can play for 30 minutes a day max...

I will disagree with the VP2 Silmeria, but I never played the first one (never dropped in price, and now it never will) - I imported Silmeria, and the voice acting, at least to me, was perfectly fine (perhaps it was bad in english, but I wouldn't know). I rather enjoyed the puzzles (perhaps I wouldn't have if I hadn't had youtube to give me answers after being unable to figure things out right away - in particular the final secret dungeon), and really enjoyed the game overall (though I button mashed the battles because I never understood the timing, and once I got Frey... well, game over).

Without a doubt - WCW Nitro for ps1 (yes, I enjoy pro wrestling)

I was so hyped for that game after seeing screenshots in magazines and reading about it. Went out and bought it day 1, but I had to take care of something else so didn't get to play it for a couple hours after the purchase.

Then, when I finally got it home it was total crap. Controls sucked horribly, everyone had the same moves except for 3, and even tho it boasted a roster of like 50+ people, they were all just clones.

Biggest letdown EVAR

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Without a doubt - WCW Nitro for ps1 (yes, I enjoy pro wrestling)

I was so hyped for that game after seeing screenshots in magazines and reading about it. Went out and bought it day 1, but I had to take care of something else so didn't get to play it for a couple hours after the purchase.

Then, when I finally got it home it was total crap. Controls sucked horribly, everyone had the same moves except for 3, and even tho it boasted a roster of like 50+ people, they were all just clones.

Biggest letdown EVAR[/quote]
I remember playing that, whoever decided the button to pin would be same as walking out of the ring deserves to be shot.

[quote name='AkariK']The Wii in general screams halfass to me. Tiny hd space, not so good motion controls (the light gun from the NES had better aiming), slow as hell loading times, COPY PROTECTED BRAWL SAVES, horrid 3rd party support, boring first party games (why is mario party a game? why is it popular? why must you torment me so?) - made worse with the inclusion of Sonic... Or maybe I just hate Mario and everything associated with him.

I will disagree with the VP2 Silmeria, but I never played the first one (never dropped in price, and now it never will) - I imported Silmeria, and the voice acting, at least to me, was perfectly fine (perhaps it was bad in english, but I wouldn't know). I rather enjoyed the puzzles (perhaps I wouldn't have if I hadn't had youtube to give me answers after being unable to figure things out right away - in particular the final secret dungeon), and really enjoyed the game overall (though I button mashed the battles because I never understood the timing, and once I got Frey... well, game over).[/quote]

I totally agree with you on Ninja Gaiden DS. It's just a senseless scribble fest. If it's a great game, we really have lowered our standards for handheld games.

Don't agree with SPM though. It definitely has its slow and clunky parts, but I enjoyed the overall ride. Dare I say, I liked it a bit more than Paper Mario. Some of the puzzles were downright creative as heck and very fun to solve. I also just loved the presentation, and even though it was ultimately just a shallow story the humor, and just how it was crafted was exceptional. But it was a bit downgraded in terms of RPG elements that Paper Mario excelled in, so I can see why it got the hate.

On one side people wanted a mario platformer, and the other side craved was expecting an rpg. Each one was pretty much denied that, but it's not meant to be played solely as either one in the first place.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Without a doubt - WCW Nitro for ps1 (yes, I enjoy pro wrestling)

Biggest letdown EVAR[/QUOTE]
Apparently, it made for exciting matches if you were watching, though. My neighbor loved coming over and watching me play. Of course, he also loved prostitutes and paying $150 to get made-up Miller Lite slogans airbrushed onto his tanktops...

[quote name='insertcleverthing']I still can't believe someone put Mischief Makers (N64) a few pages back.

I mean seriously, folks...[/quote]

Me neither.. that game was so damn awesome. I seriously needed a sequel after i beated it the 12th time. (no kidding)

Mischief%20Makers%20%28U%29.jpg

^btw the boxart kicks ass

Older disappointments:
World of Warcraft.. holy sh!t have i lost a major chunk of life playing that piece of crap!

Most recent disappointments:
Kingdom Hearts (Seriously.. a lot of great artwork, and an ok story i guess. But why did the actual game have to suck so bad?)
Dead rising (save system anyone?) (Lack of jumpkick from the start?)

I will go with path of neo. I though it would be the end all be all of action games, and it failed to deliver on so many things.

State of Emergency. I thought it was going to be a GTA III clone and it turned out to be the biggest turd I ever had the privilege of playing. I even bought the book with that one....DOH!

Final Fantasy IX and XII. In XII I didn't care about one character. If the game ended with every one of them dying I would have been happy. The game play was garbage.

FF IX was just a boring game with characters that I once again wish were taken out back and shot.

GTA3- just got boring and repetitive fast. Didn't like the open world, sandbox gameplay so I've stayed away from those type of games since for the most part.

Kingdom Hearts-indifferent on disney, but like final fantasy and action rpgs so thought I'd dig it. Camera and boring combat system did it in for me.

Elite Beat Agents-loved the guitar hero games and this was hyped as a great portable rhythm game, but it just did nothing for me. Just not fun tapping a touch screen to crappy songs.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass- love the series, but this game was a huge disappointment to me. Didn't like the touch screen controls much, hated having to go through the Ocean King temple so many times, and in general the dungeons were boring by the series' standards.

Final Fantasy 8- draw system sucked, characters and story did nothing for me.

[quote name='Noedskou']Me neither.. that game was so damn awesome. I seriously needed a sequel after i beated it the 12th time. (no kidding)

^btw the boxart kicks ass

Older disappointments:
World of Warcraft.. holy sh!t have i lost a major chunk of life playing that piece of crap!

Most recent disappointments:
Kingdom Hearts (Seriously.. a lot of great artwork, and an ok story i guess. But why did the actual game have to suck so bad?)
Dead rising (save system anyone?) (Lack of jumpkick from the start?)[/quote]

That boxart brings back so many memories! Great game, when I got it I was relieved it wasn't 3D at all. :D

I will start with saying I plan to go back when I don't have anything else to do or I'm bored and give the game another shot.

That being said, a few months ago I downloaded Super Mario 64 on the VC after I beat Galaxy and was itching for more Mario. After everything I had heard, I thought it was going to be the best thing ever (I had an N64 for years, but for whatever reason never played SM64). Maybe I'm just doing something wrong (quite possible), but the damn camera pisses me off to no end. I can't stand it. Right now I don't even remember exactly what it was about the camera that pissed me off, but I know I wanted to through the controller in frustration, so decided to just stop playing. Everything else about it I liked, so I know I'll play it again. Maybe someone can give me tips with the camera or something, I don't know.

I am not at all saying this game is bad...

But Super Mario Galaxy. I just couldn't get into it. Was really boring to me. Probably because I have so many other games I want to play over it. But I was expecting it to be nonstop fun that I couldn't even put it down...

And SKATE, I thought that game would be a lot more entertaining then it was... boring... Oh and Okami, I was hoping to be taken away with that game. But I could barely keep my eyes open. And FFXII. I've heard rave reviews about it so I tried playing it and I couldn't even get past the first hour, way to slow and ugly.

I sometimes feel like I am starting to not like games.

Oblivion, I keep trying to like this game and it just bores me too tears.

Oh I agree!

And Mass Effect. Could not go any further then about 30-50 mins in... had nothing in me that wanted to.
Again, I don't say these games are bad in any way. Just that I was expecting to have uber amounts of fun with them.

Virtual On: Marz for PS2. Loved it in the arcades and thought "Gee, how can you fuck it up when this game has two analogs? Especially when Dreamcast version did it so well as well." Boy, was I wrong. Sooooo wrong.

Tales of Symphonia, boring and overly cliched.

bread's done
Back