*MUNCH MUNCH* Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, OUT NOW! *MUNCH MUNCH*

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']For those who have played through the entire game, is it as good as the earlier PW games? games?[/quote]
Don't meet your qualifications for finishing the game, but my will power is terrible when it comes to Ace Attorney spoilers. IMO it's pretty dark, but not as interesting as what went down in the third game or 1-5.

I'm still working my way through the last case, but at the point of the game I'm at I have a fairly good idea of what the final outcome is going to be... and I have to say it's pretty dark. I really like how, even though this one is a new story, they still found a way to make the last case a long one, with an epic feel to it. I'll say more about this one (with spoilers) once I've got finished I think.

The only case that's really light/goofy(mainly because of the defendant and the first witness) is Case 2. Which is odd, because usually they save it for Case 3. It was still good though.

As far as the new characters go, I like them about the same as the old ones. Which is to say, there are some I like and some I don't like, but overall they're good. Apollo doesn't really feel different enough from Phoenix, though I suspect future games will help to solidify thier differences.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']
The only thing I don't like about this game is Klavier. I just don't get the same "serious" vibe that I got from Edgeworth, Franziska, and Godot. Namely, I just don't feel intimidated when he makes his case. I mean, he does the friggin' air guitar. Sure, the animation on it looks nice (same with his wall-pounding), but that's it.[/quote]
Is it really fair to compare Klavier's personality to Edgeworth? I mean Edgeworth was older than Klavier is now and Klavier is in a stinkin' rock band, of course he's going to be naive and immature.

I'm not really comparing him to Edgeworth (well, I kinda am). It's just that I'm used to prosecutors getting some sort of emotional response from me. With Edgeworth, I got a sense of a real rivalry, followed by a sort of "aw yeah, shit is gonna go down" when I saw him in later games. Godot, I felt that this guy is really out to get Phoenix, but why?

With Klavier...it's kinda blank, like he's just doing his job, even if he's in a rock band.

Finished it tonight. I do have to say, the last case is rather disappointing.

Case 4 spoilers
The real issue I had here was that it was way, way too easy. Especially the last court section. By that point, the game hasn't saved any surprises and you have the whole thing figured out. It's just anti-climactic really, and I would even say it's the weakest final case of all the Ace Attorney games.

I hope there's a new prosecuter for the next one. Klavier is way too friendly and helpful, to the point where there was never a point where I felt he actually had a case against any defendent, or that Apollo was in danger of losing.

Overall some damn fine cases, but Case 4 was just a terrible disappointment. They had a REALLY good final case in there, buuut
apparently instead of making Valant an epic villain, they decided to paste together a gunky mishmash of the forger family, the magicians, Phoenix and Kristoph into something so sloppy that only time travel could make it work. Valant was cheated out of a second trial he so richly deserved. Kristoph was shoved down our throats as a villain with all style and no substance, black psyche locks hiding a secret far, far less important than Engarde's, and overall hisgreatest crime was failing to kill a little girl for seven years. Whoever thought the Grammarye case deserved to be raped in such a manner should be fired.

EDIT: Also, the entire game was too damn easy.

Klavier had two settings:
1. Wanting you to win while spamming the air guitar like I use "NEEDA DISPENSAH HEUH" in TF2
2. Complete and total sniping queen douche while spamming the air guitar like I use "NEEDA DISPENSAH HEUH" in TF2

And, finally, case 3 spoilers
Really? Really? Only now and just for me is "No decisive evidence" a problem, a good four games in? Really?

[quote name='RollingSkull']
And, finally, case 3 spoilers
Really? Really? Only now and just for me is "No decisive evidence" a problem, a good four games in? Really?
[/quote]
I think 2-3 had some of that too... or was it 2-2?

I have to agree with everyone's opinion about case 4.

While I think that, story-wise, it wrapped things up nicely, it was a mess in general. I was expecting Kristoph's motive to be something more sinister, but it was just keeping the two painters quiet? How lame. Plus, that last trial was waaaay too easy. Only having to present, what was it, 3 objects to win the case? Real epic. It just seemed longer because there was so much talking in between choices (which I didn't mind too much, because I'm still a sucker for the story).

And SPEAKING of choices, what a lame thing to throw in, the guilty or innocent thing. At least make the guilty ending something more than "you lose because this happened." I mean, c'mon! And the innocent ending was a sham, too. Plus, this "no concrete evidence" thing was a fat load. What an awful, awful copout.

And where was the communication between Trucy, Apollo, and Phoenix? Apollo learns about Trucy's family, and they don't even touch on it, aside from Trucy saying "we'll talk about it later!?" I don't believe that garbage for a second. Then Trucy says, "oh, I knew daddy was alive, lol." Another load of BS. I really hope they fix this shit up in the next game, I really do. I can live with Apollo's mom not revealing herself in this game to him, but I mean, they could've at least revealed to Apollo/Trucy that they're siblings.

I still like this game's final case, but if we're gonna compare it to the other games, well, it can't really compare. Not even to the 2nd game's cluster of a final case.

[quote name='Doomed']I think 2-3 had some of that too... or was it 2-2?[/quote]

2-2, you only nailed Ini Miney by proving who she was in the past after repeatedly skewering her testimony in the present. One of my favorite cases.

2-3, the evidence was in the courtroom the entire time.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']
And SPEAKING of choices, what a lame thing to throw in, the guilty or innocent thing. At least make the guilty ending something more than "you lose because this happened." I mean, c'mon! And the innocent ending was a sham, too. Plus, this "no concrete evidence" thing was a fat load. What an awful, awful copout.
[/quote]

Case 4 ending spoilers:
"And so, on October 12th, at 2:12pm, a verdict was reached. The first verdict of the jurist system... was a hung jury. Vera's final verdict would have to be postponed for another day."

"But fate had something else in mind. Over the night, Vera's condition worsened, and she succumbed to the poison. Vera's verdict was postponed for eternity."

Phoenix Wright: "God fucking dammit!"
Lamiroir: "SORRY I NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTER"

And where was the communication between Trucy, Apollo, and Phoenix? Apollo learns about Trucy's family, and they don't even touch on it, aside from Trucy saying "we'll talk about it later!?" I don't believe that garbage for a second. Then Trucy says, "oh, I knew daddy was alive, lol." Another load of BS. I really hope they fix this shit up in the next game, I really do. I can live with Apollo's mom not revealing herself in this game to him, but I mean, they could've at least revealed to Apollo/Trucy that they're siblings.

I still like this game's final case, but if we're gonna compare it to the other games, well, it can't really compare. Not even to the 2nd game's cluster of a final case.

Case 4 story spoilers
It is plainly obvious the Gramarye murders were put together before the case had to be shoehorned to fit Japan switching to a jury system. A proper case like that probably would've given us a revelation or two that actually makes sense.

Zak had all the makings of an excellent villain. I don't believe for a second that his emo-wandering off when just shown his brother's confession was meant to happen.

Besides, who is going to teach Trucy the Magnifi secrets? She can use them, yes, but she doesn't know them, does she?

[quote name='RollingSkull']Case 4 ending spoilers:
"And so, on October 12th, at 2:12pm, a verdict was reached. The first verdict of the jurist system... was a hung jury. Vera's final verdict would have to be postponed for another day."

"But fate had something else in mind. Over the night, Vera's condition worsened, and she succumbed to the poison. Vera's verdict was postponed for eternity."

Phoenix Wright: "God fucking dammit!"
Lamiroir: "SORRY I NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTER"

Case 4 story spoilers
It is plainly obvious the Gramarye murders were put together before the case had to be shoehorned to fit Japan switching to a jury system. A proper case like that probably would've given us a revelation or two that actually makes sense.

Zak had all the makings of an excellent villain. I don't believe for a second that his emo-wandering off when just shown his brother's confession was meant to happen.

Besides, who is going to teach Trucy the Magnifi secrets? She can use them, yes, but she doesn't know them, does she?
[/quote]Regarding the first spoiler:
:rofl:

Regarding the second:
Probably some mroe BS about how Valant is teaching her how to do the secrets. Actually, that'd make for a nice swerve for game 5, making him a good villain. Then, the mom can come back, and reveal everything. Shazam! I just made a good case 4!

More Case 4 stuff.
It definitely does seem like Zak was being set up to be the villain. I'm not sure if I would've liked that better or not, but I can definitely say Kristoph ended up being a terrible disappointment.

I think the real problem is his reasoning for setting up Phoenix in the first place. Are we really to believe he would ruin Wright's life and kill two people(one of which is a little girl), just because he's jealous that Zak fired him in favor of Phoenix? Or is it because he was denied the chance to beat his little brother in court by using false evidence? Kristoph is still pretty evil, since he's willing to kill children just to save his reputation, but ultimately he's not the clever supervillian type that usually shows up at the end of these games.

Also, given that Phoenix & Zak are more or less friends, why was Zak trying to ruin Phoenix's reputation at poker? Whatever his reason, it must've been a good one for him to assault Olga when it didn't work out. I guess this would've made more sense if it would've been Zak who was a murderer(because this incident clearly shows he has a bad temper), but even then not really.

Also, what really happened to Thalassa(I think that's her name). She didn't die, so I would assume Magnifi was the only one who knew what really happened. So he ends up looking pretty bad too, making Zak believe he had killed his own wife, and even blackmailing him over, all the while knowing that she's not actually dead at all.
I guess I'm not really sure what they wanted us to think of the whole Gramarye Troupe actually. I guess that'll be expanded on in future games with Apollo & Trucy though.

The case itself is not really bad... it's only really bad because it's the last one. There's a certain expectation built in to the final cases in these games, and this one just falls flat.

I think any time the game tries to explain law, it just utterly fails. To this day I don't particularly understand that whole evidence law thing in PW1 case 5. Plus, a lot of times, it does seem like you're just picking up evidence anywhere... I'd think it's illegal to disturb the crime scene. The game gets more intense when you have emotional links to the characters. 2-4 was especially ethical in nature and is really up there as far as cases go.

Case 4 spoilers:
See, I thought it would be interesting to add in the Jurist system. I thought it'd change the gameplay system somehow, but nope. Just a cheap copout ending.

The defendant's lawyer's mother was sitting on the jury! How is that a fair jury?! Even if she didn't know at the time, the fact that she does now really endangers the verdict.

Kristoph's motive is unclear. It doesn't even make logical sense. He wants to kill Vera to hide the faking of the evidence? Is this the first time he faked it? Why did he want to fake the diary so much in this case anyway, for the fame of defending in the Gramarye case? 'cause he got fired? Ugh. It's just so messy. I agree with everything pygmy carnotaur said.

Where did Apollo come from, and why did he become a lawyer anyway? He had no real personality. None whatsoever.

In some respects, Case 4 was fascinating but it wasn't necessarily fun to play through from a puzzle perspective and there were just too many holes. It almost felt... rushed.

The perceive system kinda ticked me off. I thought it'd be cool because you could catch where they'd be lying and you could use it to your advantage. But, no, you TELL them what their tell is and reveal lies in their testimony... that just strikes me as strange.
Despite this, I still like the game. Case 2 and 3 had some really interesting puzzle-solving aspects to them, and really nice twists that had me thinking one way and going the other... the "in-between" cases have steadily improved since the first game.

Even MORE Case 4 critique:
The only thing I liked about case 4 was everything leading up to the last court session, specifically the Mason System. I thought that was very clever, and it really helped hype up the last court session.

I'm a bit new to the Ace Attorney series.

But I was wondering are the characters really American or Japanese, or both. The first game said they're American, but is it the same for the Japanese version?

I kinda think it's dumb that the localization would change the game's identity like that. IMO it would make more sense to just call the characters Japanese due to the obvious Japanese influences.

Finished Case 1 last night and started in on Case 2 today. They've already made more additions to the courtroom aspects of the game than I had expected them to, so I'm happy so far.

[quote name='leveskikesko']I'm a bit new to the Ace Attorney series.

But I was wondering are the characters really American or Japanese, or both. The first game said they're American, but is it the same for the Japanese version?

I kinda think it's dumb that the localization would change the game's identity like that. IMO it would make more sense to just call the characters Japanese due to the obvious Japanese influences.[/quote]
In Japan, they are Japanese. In America, they are American. A few changes are made through localization.

Like both of the Gavins were American lawyers in the JPN version, but in the US version, they are German.

Just finished Trials and Tribulations. Strell, you were right when you told me it was the best of the three, but mainly for Case 5.

My question is, how's Apollo? Should I wait for a price drop or a deal and go through some other games in the meantime? I had AJ in my hand yesterday and looking at the back, the Prosecutor looked lame. It was just a picture, I could be wrong. But I don't want to pay full price and be disappointed.

I liked Apollo until the final court trial. My feelings about that aside, however, it's a very solid game, and worth the $30 I dropped on it for the first case alone. The prosecutor....well, you get used to him.

no question PW3 is the best game of the series. As for the prosecutor, I would say his apperance is not a problem. He also has one of the best theme song in the series. I think it is worth the money but all the PW games got a price drop eventually.

I picked it up the other day, thanks to it showing up used at a GameStop near work. $19.99 + tax after edge and 10% coupon, which I figured would be better than waiting 6 months for it to drop to that price new. I only picked up T&T a few weeks ago, and I want to finish it before starting AJ.

Well I just finished it and it looks as if everyone has already summed up my complaints about the game. It wasn't bad but it was probably the weakest of the series. I'm hoping it was because it was just the first one in a new series, but unlike the the Phoenix Wright games, I just don't feel for the characters yet. Like has been stated before cases 2-4 and 3-5 are very character and emotional driven cases and I just didn't feel that emotion in any of these.

man Phoenix Wright is like pizza or ice cream on top of cookies...

no matter what u have to try REAL hard to mess it up... but even if it's not that good it's still pizza or ice cream on top of cookies....

I beat this game and this is how I feel...

the only real cool thing I like is Lamiroir...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I think the problem was that the 3rd game was just TOO good. Everything in Apollo just paled in comparison.[/quote]
Kinda, but not really.
The 3rd game was really good, but AJ really messed up with its 4th case. It could've been a worthy successor to PW3 but now it just feels rushed.

I finished T&T and started Apollo today. I finished Case 1. I don't know Phoenix's story yet, but so far I wished they left him alone. I really liked how T&T finished.

Worked through cases 2 and 3. Haven't done much in 4 outside of watching a few of the opening conversations.

Big question on Case 2:
I actually saw that someone else asked about the slippers, and the answer was basically "Japanese culture," so I'll go ahead and take that one out, since I had the exact same feeling of "why the hell did the girl take her shoes off?" In fact, I bet if you look at the flashback picture of her holding the gun at Meraktis, you could see what shoes she's wearing.

But anyway - my big question - why in the hell does she still have the gun when she wakes up in the cart? I can't imagine anyone being so stupid as to knock out a gunman, drag their body somewhere, and keep the gun on them.

I get that it was owned by the Kitaki family, so maybe you don't want to keep it anywhere around your own place, but come on - he could have disposed of the body and dumped the gun somewhere without any problems. So why the hell did he keep it near her? I don't buy that he thought she was dead so it was completely safe - I figure he'd want that piece as far away from him and anyone else as soon as possible.

And he was a doctor, people! I could see non medical personnel thinking the person was dead, but a trained surgeon? Come on already. The guy was unscrupulous and probably a sleezebag, but he didn't seem like a dumbass.

Keeping the gun near her, not knowing she was still alive? Please. That's just silly. Way too much deus ex machina right there at the end. Still liked the case, but that was just too much coincidence for me to overlook.

As for Case 3, I ended up liking it. These first three cases have been ok. I'd say overall the game feels just as good as a PW game. Perhaps the last case will alter that.

Also, while I agree Klavier feels more like a rock god first and a prosecutor second, I don't quite get all the hate for him. And honestly, he's not as relaxed as some of the comments on here sound. He's always thinking ahead - I think that's the bigger difference between him and the previous prosecutors. And yes, I know earlier opponents thought ahead, but Klavier seems much more calm and collected than they are. And I still contend he's thinking four or five moves ahead of everyone else, especially since he always seems to know what Apollo is going to do or say and plans for it. He also does a really good job of picking out a lot of the fulcrums that Apollo's objections all fall upon, and seems to do it a lot quicker and more decisively than previous attorneys.

Great game. I'm already feeling withdrawel pangs since this will probably be the last one for a good year or so, which is really bad when you consider we basically got three within one year.

[quote name='Strell']Big question on Case 2:
But anyway - my big question - why in the hell does she still have the gun when she wakes up in the cart? I can't imagine anyone being so stupid as to knock out a gunman, drag their body somewhere, and keep the gun on them.

I get that it was owned by the Kitaki family, so maybe you don't want to keep it anywhere around your own place, but come on - he could have disposed of the body and dumped the gun somewhere without any problems. So why the hell did he keep it near her? I don't buy that he thought she was dead so it was completely safe - I figure he'd want that piece as far away from him and anyone else as soon as possible.

And he was a doctor, people! I could see non medical personnel thinking the person was dead, but a trained surgeon? Come on already. The guy was unscrupulous and probably a sleezebag, but he didn't seem like a dumbass.

Keeping the gun near her, not knowing she was still alive? Please. That's just silly. Way too much deus ex machina right there at the end. Still liked the case, but that was just too much coincidence for me to overlook.

As for Case 3, I ended up liking it. These first three cases have been ok. I'd say overall the game feels just as good as a PW game. Perhaps the last case will alter that.

Also, while I agree Klavier feels more like a rock god first and a prosecutor second, I don't quite get all the hate for him. And honestly, he's not as relaxed as some of the comments on here sound. He's always thinking ahead - I think that's the bigger difference between him and the previous prosecutors. And yes, I know earlier opponents thought ahead, but Klavier seems much more calm and collected than they are. And I still contend he's thinking four or five moves ahead of everyone else, especially since he always seems to know what Apollo is going to do or say and plans for it. He also does a really good job of picking out a lot of the fulcrums that Apollo's objections all fall upon, and seems to do it a lot quicker and more decisively than previous attorneys.[/quote]
Case 2:
I don't think the fact that he didn't know she was dead is too far-fetched. Don't they make those kind of mistakes in real life, when they assume a victim is dead and is alive all of a sudden? I dunno. Maybe because I saw it on an episode of CSI, it might be a really rare case. =)

As for the gun, if you assumed someone was dead and you were going to dump the body, might as well dump the gun with it, you know?

What I didn't like was during the replay of the scene, they kept showing "Wocky" holding a gun up to the doctor. Didn't we already establish that that one chick had the gun already?

I definitely don't think it's as bad as Case 3, with the random immediate arrest of Machi and Lamiroir lying so much to preserve the HIDDEN MAGIC SECRETZ and OMGZ I CAN'T SEE... although they were both fun cases to play through =)
My main reason for not liking Klavier is because he's on the fence way too much and hence doesn't make a particularly good opponent. I'm replaying the game and during Case 2 there's a part when Apollo says something like, "Dang. I almost had him. The case can't end here!" All of a sudden there's a "Hold it!" and Klavier implores you to finish the job, so Apollo does his objection thing and then they fight on like normal. In fact, even at the end Apollo says something like "Man, I won, but it didn't quite feel like I won" or something to that effect. It's just too shifty for me to really comprehend why he's prosecuting.

I came to this thread to get some ending spoilers for case 4. Last night, I was playing through the Mason system, breaking down a Psyche-Lock, when my battery died as I was saving. This morning, when I went to resume the game, the data failed to load, and I have to start all over again. No way I'm doing that, even though I wish I could see the end of the game. I have a general idea what happened now, and it sounds as unsatisfying as you guys say. Still, it was a fun ride for the most part.

Alright. Discovered that when I went to start a new game, it let me pick case 4 to start. I'm going to start the case over again so I can see how everything plays out myself.

As I wrote about Klavier, I don't get all the hate for the ending of case 4. But I don't have time to pontificate upon the matter, so I shall do so later. At length.

Finished the game last night. I quite enjoyed cases 1-3, and most of case 4 (all except the final courtroom stuff). Specific complaints/questions below:

My main beef with case 4 has already been discussed a bit, but the game really dies after the second investigation phase. It's obvious what's going to happen, and there are absolutely no surprises in the final court "battle". Heck, there's barely any interactivity, and you're just mashing "next" to page through the dialog for the final 30 minutes or so.

I thought the whole "Thalassa is Lamiroir" thing came out of nowhere. The Thalassa/Trucy/Apollo connection was cool, but there didn't seem to be any need to connect Lamiroir too! Other than Lamiroir's amnesia, were there any hints to this connection?

What was up with the sketches under the forged paintings? When did Vera or Drew ever have a chance to see these scenes?

You all knew I said I was going to talk about case 4, and here to talk about it I am. And let me say that I think it's required at this point, because all of you are pretty much entirely wrong about a lot of different things.

But for whatever reason, it seems my posts in here are being largely ignored, so I'm not exactly expecting anyone to pay much attention. Same thing happened in the Layton thread. Oh well.

So here's what everyone is wrong about on Case 4 (as well as some miscellaneous observations of my own):
First off, Kristoph's motivations have been highly misinterpreted. He wasn't pissed at Phoenix until the case was turned over to him seven years ago, and this was after he had already commissioned the forged evidence. Likewise, he wasn't pissed at Zak until the switch occurred, so his motivations to kill Vera and Drew were in place before that. Which is scary no matter how you look at it - he was willing to get a man convicted and kill two people simply to win a case.

This ties in with the second part everyone seems to be missing, which is killing Zak seven years later. Yeah, I guess he's still pissed about the slight, but that isn't his motive. Someone (I think Phoenix) clearly says that anyone who won the Grammarye case seven years ago would become wildly famous, which would put them into celebrity status instantly. They'd be set for life. Kristoph wanted that prestige, and had already set things in motion to secure it. Imagine defending any huge celebrity today - your name would become a household staple, much like the OJ Simpson trial so long ago.

(Which, actually, parallels one of the problems I always had in the original PW trilogy, which is that Phoenix - despite always winning these gigantic cases - is always A) still considered a hack to a degree/never given credit, and B) never seems to gain the positive notoriety that you'd think would come with his performances. You'd think that he'd be seen as a proper attorney and net high class cases/clients, but he's always talking about how he's poor and such. I guess this is a common thing in a lot of anime though (See Cowboy Bebop).)

Kristoph is actually really heinous when you think about it. He's clearly keeping poison on him to serve dirty deeds. He's watching people for seven years and adjusting his moves accordingly. He keeps in touch with forgers. He's not scared of performing infanticide anymore than homicide. You guys are all confusing him as nothing more than a proud dude annoyed that someone kicked his sorry ass off the case, but that's not the deal in the least.

Recall that Zak says that you can only really know a man when you see him in competition - he saw what was really there. Recall Vera's comments that she saw the Devil. Recall the black psyche-locks. Recall Brushel's paranoia. Kristoph is quite a monster, actually. It's just that he plays his cards so well and so close to his chest that you never see him break out of a calm, cool, collected mood. It's almost unfortunate that Phoenix nails his ass to the wall so early on, as Kristoph has the potential to really flex some devious plots were he out in the open.

Hell, it would be nice to think that during the seven years, he performed lots of crimes/murders/other acts, and that in the next game, continues to be intimately tied to cases Apollo will have to deal with. Maybe, then, we could finally see what's behind those black psyche-locks. I'm really anxious to see if those will come into play in future sequels.

As for case 4's "simplicity," I think you guys are really dividing in hopes of conquering here. I see a lot of people talking about how the investigation phase with Phoenix ruins the momentum and makes for a shortened, weak ending court room session.

Think about PW3 for a moment. Case 4, specifically. Maybe 10 minutes long. And yet the information found in it ties up the first and final cases entirely.

Now imagine that the case is the Mason system in the last case. It's an integral part of the case, but it's still wholly separate. In other words, if the flashback to PW3-4 had been placed into the final case (thus making PW3 have 4 cases total), I imagine people would have complained about it as well, saying it takes everything out of context and creates a situation where "one of these things is not like the other." Everyone seems so intent on saying the final part of the last case is so abysmal, and it's because you're all sectioning everything out.

That's the problem I have with all of this "disappointment." You're dicing the final case up instead of taking it at face value as a complete entity. Now, I won't sit here and act like the case measures up to PW3-5, or potentially PW1-4/5, as those cases are all pretty incredible, but I think this case was very unique in its execution, and sets it apart from everything else. We're with a new cast on a new system in an established series. Of course part of it needs to feel different from previous incarnations.

Tangentially, I really enjoyed using Phoenix during the case. I like that you're solving a current case, solving a past case, and giving him peace by discovering the truth to so many questions all at once. The entire dissertation I had about case 1 that I posted, for example, gets explained away easily, and that's just one example. Everyone is so bent on saying the case is a dud, but you're all dismissing what is learned during the case.

So say what you want about it, but it had a good pace, some neat elements, and tried to carve an entirely new history for new players (players as in the cast members of the game). And on that note, it succeeded very well.

A question I had about it, though, was why Drew decided to finally use the stamp. Seems wildly out of character. I can't see him wanting to do it on purpose, as he knows it would upset his daughter. This almost points to suicide, really. Which would mean that when you go through those motions in court disproving suicide, it might have always been the truth. I mean, maybe he somehow knew about the poison himself, and was actually sacrificing himself to save his daughter? It's possible.

As for dealings with Lamirior - I'm more surprised no one is questioning how she got her memory back in the three months between the third and fourth cases. That's a much larger mystery. Also, I think Beef asked about her involvement skewing the case, but that can be explained. Phoenix makes it clear that no jurist was involved in the development of the case. That's a big point to make. She has no bearing on the case at all when you sit down and look at it. Plus, Phoenix might have figured out who she was before asking her to be a Jurist. Perhaps, then, when she was commissioned, she didn't have her memory back, but it returned during the case. That actually explains my question I just asked, and makes the case much better crafted that you guys are giving it credit for.

I won't argue that it's a simple decision with the innocent/guilty thing, as it is. But it's the precedent that's being set here that is the big deal. Which is an interesting thing to consider - what if, in the next game, they use the Jurist system as a scoring mechanism? I.e., if you perform very well in court, you get a unanimous decision? That could alter the gameplay a lot and even add replay value, especially if different dialogue/conclusions can be drawn based on how well you perform in court.

Some other things to discuss:

Zak ruining Phoenix's reputation in poker - You have to think about how Zak was certain he wouldn't be pronounced guilty in his trial. He had thought out the entire trial beforehand, and realized one of two things would happen. Either the forged evidence would fly and he'd be found not guilty (which means he was selling out Valant, which makes him....questionably good as a person, really...and I especially think this is so because he probably knew about the fake evidence, having corroborated with Kristoph to help get it produced), or he'd be found guilty and then escape.

So, in Zak's mind, Phoenix - being the experienced attorney he is - wasn't going to screw it up. He had decisive evidence and he had shown himself a good and effective man through his poker playing. Zak thought he was home free. But in the trial, we see the evidence getting called out. So Zak immediately knows he's going to have to escape, having already planned it with his daughter.

So he escapes.

That's your motivation. In his eyes, Phoenix failed and cause his exile, which also means he has to abandon his daughter. He's cheated out of remaining a hugely successful Grammarye for the rest of his life. And he knows the truth about the evidence, so he's probably watching his back for Kristoph. Perhaps worst of all, he imagines that Phoenix is a hack and is entirely to blame for everything. He waits the seven years and plots to destroy Phoenix's reputation (even though he'd already done so quite thoroughly) a second time.

There's probably something in there about how he knows Trucy is probably helping him win poker anyway, so maybe he's angry about that too.

Again, don't get the hate for Klavier. The final exchanges between him and his brother are pretty extraordinary. It's absolutely clear that Klavier doesn't fuck around when it comes to the truth, and he constantly pins down Kristoph's subtle-but-powerfully-effective argument tactics. Klavier is detecting the slightest deviation in his brother. That's something to commend.

The "No evidence" problem - really surprised that this becomes part of the game's mechanics. Someone mentioned that "this isn't realistic." No part of this game series is realistic. And besides, there are tons of cases that get decided one way or the other based on evidence or the lack thereof. So I think it actually fits in with reality based on that part alone, which is why jurors are used in the American legal system.

(On a side note, that's kind of a funny problem with the PW series - I noticed starting in PW2 that they repeatedly imply that the game takes place in the states as opposed to Japan, which is funny given the odd juxtaposition of Japanese culture and agents, such as the Kurain Village and ...."spirit dojo temple" from PW3-5. So you're telling me you're taking place in the USA, but your court system doesn't use jurors until now? Just make the setting in Japan, Capcom! You don't think we're that dumb, do you?)

Segways into next topic - the Jurist system. I think they call it "Jurist" because that sounds cooler than juror. Also, this makes me wonder what the 12 people are doing in the courtroom to begin with? They've been there this whole time - I mean you see them talking to each other, the judge has to bang his gavel to get order, etc. So these people are just....what, an audience? I guess so, even though that seems out of place. I guess that gives Klavier people to play to, though.

Perceive System - I like it, but .... does no one (in terms of the prosecution and judge) think it's weird that Apollo gets to use that as an effective means of discerning the truth? I did have a problem with that. I mean he says things like "Oh you are sweating, that means you are lying." It's a good system, and I like the eerieness of it, but they need to explain it better.

"Trucy knowing her dad is alive is bs." Why? She helped him escape, after all. And whose to say he isn't sending her letters every once and a while? Can't be hard to hide them from Phoenix, since he's kind of laid-back by that time. For all we know, she could have been informed behind the scenes on tons of things. He could also be feeding her secrets on magical routines and tricks in this manner also.

I think Magnifi wasn't thinking clearly when he sent the two notes to Zak and Valant. I think this because he obviously expected them to shoot the clown's forehead as a show of their loyalty. But if that's the case, he should have had a second clown in the room. If Valant walked in and already saw the clown shot, it sort of gives away the "puzzle" of the letter. I'd like to think Magnifi would have thought that through.

Funny quote from the judge when he hears about nail polish, and then starts talking about his wife's red nails - "She's been painting them this whole time!"

I was curious why Maya never showed up. Or, hell, Pearl. Maybe they are off spirit training/channeling. I actually thought it was really weird that Maya wasn't around during the case seven years ago.

I'm also surprised Edgeworth isn't around at all. I am thankful, however, that Lotta Hart continues to not be around. You're two for two, batting 500 right now on that, Capcom. Keep it up.

Regarding case 2 - Someone asked about how Wocky had a gun, but that "he couldn't because the girl had it." They say pretty clearly that two guns were removed from the mansion the night of the murder. The girl could have stolen the first one from Wocky, and he could have gotten the second.

I think that's enough. I'd really appreciate some discussion further, but I'm not really holding my breath. I'm only hoping me calling everyone out is going to get you all on the offensive. :]

Cool, nice writeup. I'll try to get some discussion going =)

[quote name='Strell']
First off, Kristoph's motivations have been highly misinterpreted. He wasn't pissed at Phoenix until the case was turned over to him seven years ago, and this was after he had already commissioned the forged evidence. Likewise, he wasn't pissed at Zak until the switch occurred, so his motivations to kill Vera and Drew were in place before that. Which is scary no matter how you look at it - he was willing to get a man convicted and kill two people simply to win a case.

This ties in with the second part everyone seems to be missing, which is killing Zak seven years later. Yeah, I guess he's still pissed about the slight, but that isn't his motive. Someone (I think Phoenix) clearly says that anyone who won the Grammarye case seven years ago would become wildly famous, which would put them into celebrity status instantly. They'd be set for life. Kristoph wanted that prestige, and had already set things in motion to secure it. Imagine defending any huge celebrity today - your name would become a household staple, much like the OJ Simpson trial so long ago.
[/quote]
See, that sounds good when you explain it, but in playing the game I never really felt that it was such a high profile case and that's why I thought the motive was weak. And it still feels like that.
Also, I forget, but what was Kristoph's plan to kill Vera's dad? Because I find it weird that he gave two poisons, the nail polish and the stamp, to Vera.

As for case 4's "simplicity," I think you guys are really dividing in hopes of conquering here. I see a lot of people talking about how the investigation phase with Phoenix ruins the momentum and makes for a shortened, weak ending court room session.

Think about PW3 for a moment. Case 4, specifically. Maybe 10 minutes long. And yet the information found in it ties up the first and final cases entirely.

Now imagine that the case is the Mason system in the last case. It's an integral part of the case, but it's still wholly separate. In other words, if the flashback to PW3-4 had been placed into the final case (thus making PW3 have 4 cases total), I imagine people would have complained about it as well, saying it takes everything out of context and creates a situation where "one of these things is not like the other." Everyone seems so intent on saying the final part of the last case is so abysmal, and it's because you're all sectioning everything out.

That's the problem I have with all of this "disappointment." You're dicing the final case up instead of taking it at face value as a complete entity. Now, I won't sit here and act like the case measures up to PW3-5, or potentially PW1-4/5, as those cases are all pretty incredible, but I think this case was very unique in its execution, and sets it apart from everything else. We're with a new cast on a new system in an established series. Of course part of it needs to feel different from previous incarnations.
I think the one thing that I've enjoyed throughout PW is the buildup that each case usually has that is similar to a good mystery. After the investigation phase, there'll be a few suspects in the back of your head, a lot of clues... and maybe you'll even know who did it and how, but yet there's *something* you can't quite piece together, something that you need to put together in the Trial section when they try to break your theories.
Take Case 2 for example... after that second case, and the second investigation you pretty much know that that one chick is closely related to the case and is probably the killer. But there're still those thoughts in the back of your head where you want to know everything that went on.
The problem with Case 4 is that the MASON system pretty much solves the entire case. There's nothing else to really look for, no more mystery to be solved. And all you gotta do is pin the blame on Kristoph which was made easier with the Juror system. 3-4, placed in the middle of 3-5, is nowhere near the same thing. The system itself was pretty cool since you get to bridge gaps from the past and the present; but the contents of the investigation revealed too much and just gave you too many obvious hints.

As for dealings with Lamirior - I'm more surprised no one is questioning how she got her memory back in the three months between the third and fourth cases. That's a much larger mystery. Also, I think Beef asked about her involvement skewing the case, but that can be explained. Phoenix makes it clear that no jurist was involved in the development of the case. That's a big point to make. She has no bearing on the case at all when you sit down and look at it. Plus, Phoenix might have figured out who she was before asking her to be a Jurist. Perhaps, then, when she was commissioned, she didn't have her memory back, but it returned during the case. That actually explains my question I just asked, and makes the case much better crafted that you guys are giving it credit for.
I think that was me who brought it up. I believed she got her memory back during the case. But I think even then, the juror would have to be biased in some fashion. She may not have any bearing on the case at hand, but the defense is her children! How can you not be biased?
Although, one has to laugh at the fact that a Borginian citizen was initially selected for an American trial =) Maybe their juror selection process is THAT weird.

Segways into next topic - the Jurist system. I think they call it "Jurist" because that sounds cooler than juror. Also, this makes me wonder what the 12 people are doing in the courtroom to begin with? They've been there this whole time - I mean you see them talking to each other, the judge has to bang his gavel to get order, etc. So these people are just....what, an audience? I guess so, even though that seems out of place. I guess that gives Klavier people to play to, though.
I thought the 12 people that they show in the courtroom was just an audience. Aren't trials typically open to the public? The jurors are said to be watching the trial from another room, on camera.

Again, don't get the hate for Klavier. The final exchanges between him and his brother are pretty extraordinary. It's absolutely clear that Klavier doesn't fuck around when it comes to the truth, and he constantly pins down Kristoph's subtle-but-powerfully-effective argument tactics. Klavier is detecting the slightest deviation in his brother. That's something to commend.
I think the one thing I don't like about the whole "truth-seeking" is that you're a prosecutor. Your detectives give you their analysis of the evidence, and you work with them to establish your version of the truth, THEN you make the arrest and bring him to trial.
So here comes cool Klavier, who seems to trust you more than his own detectives. He even makes fun of Ema in Case 3 for not knowing of Machi's blindness! That whole thing just makes it a lot less fun to play against. You don't feel the pressure of trying to prove your version of the case. You don't necessarily need backhanded evidence-faking, testimony-concealing to do that. And I also hated how Klavier helped you because it never felt like you really won.

Perceive System - I like it, but .... does no one (in terms of the prosecution and judge) think it's weird that Apollo gets to use that as an effective means of discerning the truth? I did have a problem with that. I mean he says things like "Oh you are sweating, that means you are lying." It's a good system, and I like the eerieness of it, but they need to explain it better.
Some of it was nice. I like it in Case 2.
When that chick was grabbing her neck and you force her to take off the scarf.
But usually it's pretty dumb and stuff like you said.

Regarding case 2 - Someone asked about how Wocky had a gun, but that "he couldn't because the girl had it." They say pretty clearly that two guns were removed from the mansion the night of the murder. The girl could have stolen the first one from Wocky, and he could have gotten the second.
Aw dang. I missed that. I thought there was only one gun for some reason, maybe I fell asleep at that part.

I was going to quote your post, Strell, but after reading the novel you wrote in that spoiler, I think it'd be wiser to just make a spoiler tag of my own.

Not to sound defensive or anything right off the bat, but I'm not entirely sure it was me questioning Lami's involvement in the final case. I think I tried answering someone else's question, but that's nothing too important. I actually had no problem with that, and thought it was a nice twist. Basically, after a while, I've had a lot of time to really think about AJ, and I think I'm getting out of my "this game stinks" mentality.

I still think the last case isn't all that great, gameplay-wise, but that's merely a comparison issue. I (and some other people, too) need to stop comparing it to PW3, since that game was the end of a trilogy, so of course the final case of the final game is going to be something no one will ever forget. We have here AJ's first game, so I'm willing to cut him a bit of slack, even if I'm not the biggest fan of the last case here.

The Mason system, even though I hear that it's reviled among some fans, was actually one of my favorite parts of the entire game for many of the same reasons you put down, Strell. Solving cases and getting answers for some lingering questions from the past and present, plus getting Phoenix some peace of mind, was extremely gratifying. I know I can't be the only one who got chills when Kristoph's black Psyche-Locks popped up. And when the incriminating envelope was found in his cell? I think my eyes were ready to pop out of my head. So why do I keep saying that I'm not a fan of the last case?

To be honest, it's just a letdown. There's all of this buildup, all this excitement that's given to you. You find out about how Vera forged paintings, and how she may or may not have killed her father. They have hidden paintings of all of AJ's cases (which, if I'm not mistaken, is never really explained). Vera and her dad are made to look mysterious until you beat the Mason System. Then the final court session starts up....and it's extremely short. I think I presented maybe...3 items, and it was over. Don't get me wrong, the court session is actually somewhat long, thanks to lots of story development with AJ and the Gavins, but I was expecting to have to present all or most of the evidence I had found before the last session. I understand that most of it was to be used in the MS, but to not use any of it during the last session? To me, that was a letdown.

I also touched on how I didn't like Klavier, and I stick by that. However, I think it's also another unfair comparison issue with me disliking him. Godot was by far my favorite prosecutor (yes, even more than Edgey), so it's blatantly unfair to compare Klavier to him. I do like how Klavier sticks to his guns, even with his air-guitaring. My major gripe with him, however, is that he keeps helping you. Most of the time, when AJ is pinned by someone's lie, Klavier steps in and helps out AJ with a nice hint, or reveals something to you, and then you're free to go on! This is made more obvious in the last court session, but to be fair, he's also trying to stick it to Kristoph. Klavier helping out AJ in court was something I was not a fan of, and it really hurt Klavier's image in my eyes.

Finally, this is merely something minor that bugged me, but when Phoenix lost his case and his badge, where was Edgeworth or the Feys? I mean, like Strell reminded us, the Gramarye case was guaranteed to make news, win or lose. So when Phoenix lost and was punished for it, I'm sure that they must've gotten wind of it. To say that they were kept out of the loop is simply idiotic.

I think that's everything I wanted to say, although knowing my memory, I'm almost certain that I forgot something.

Walls of red text. Aieeee!

I'll never like Case 4.

My problem with Kristoph is a collection of things. First, his motive is stupid. It borders on insanity and can be played for a creepy evil... but it never went that way. The entire game, he was built up like a criminal mastermind. This moron who talks too much is one of the biggest hotshot Defense Attorneys out there? Somehow he finds the time to stalk a plot device reporter? How does he forge evidence if he KEEPS KILLING HIS FORGERS?

If they had played him intelligently, I could've handled it. But this man is not Gant (Hell, take away Gant's style and police corruption, and his crime is pretty dumb in and of itself, but he had a compelling motive.). This man is not von Karma. Hell, this man isn't even fit to lick Ini/Mimi Miney's shoes. I can go on, but that's beside the point. His crime was stupid and random and barely worth the level of respect he got. He needed to be ACTUALLY depicted as functionally insane for his story to work, instead of having the most innane final battle all of PW using him just as a plot device metaphor for the jurist system.

Of course, one moron can't ruin a case. I hated the Mason system. Yes, they crafted an excellent story around the Gramarye team of douchebags. But if you think they wrote this story to be a glorified expoisition punctuated by time travel, dimwitted psyche locks, and a plot device journalist WHO JUST HAPPENS TO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYONE, you're kidding yourself. The Mason system is obviously a cobbled together frankenstein from the corpse of whatever Case 4 was meant to be without the jurist system and Kristoph stealing and spotlight and chewing the scenery.

And, frankly, the reveal of Misham painting all of Apollo's cases was probably one of most genuinely creepy reveals in all of PW, and of course they waste it with an unsatisfying explanation.

@Kain:
Kristoph's plan to kill Drew was the stamp. Recall that Drew was the one accused of being the forger - that was the story presented to people outside of Kristoph/Drew, and likewise to the only parties privy to that information (Phoenix, the Judge, Klavier). Drew was protecting his daughter the whole time, which means that all the underhanded back-curtain dealings had to match it, even if no one else would ever discover that she was the forger. Therefore, if there was any correspondence after the case, Drew would continue to have to keep up the farce. Hence, the stamp would have been used by him. Vera saving it was a total coincidence, as was (apparently) Drew's death from it seven years later.

As for Lami, I swear that she says during your first meeting with her that she originally didn't like Borginia, which is why she understands English. That had set off a huge red flag in my head at the time, which didn't really see conclusion until the very end of case 4. Point being is that she probably was an American citizen, which is why she'd be chosen as a potential candidate. However, that goes on the assumption that she. gets her memory back before the case begins, and not during like I suspect. However, that can be explained as well - maybe she applied to citizenship before her memory returned. A bit of a stretch, but it's possible. I don't know if you watch the Simpsons, but in the episode where Apu becomes a citizen, he almost immediately is chosen for jury duty. Besides, since Phoenix is the one choreographing everything, maybe he gets full say on who can and can't serve, which means the rules could be entirely in his hands, at which point there's problem with her being a jurist.

@Beef:
The only way Vera could get information on the cases for her sketches would have to be from some insider source. Since she and Drew are recluses who don't go outside, they couldn't be in the audience. It's possible, however, that Kristoph is allowed to receive information on proceedings, which he could then use to describe to Drew. Can't think of a reason why any of that would happen. Theoretically there could be another person feeding information, but it would be hard to explain a connection.

Differing opinions aside regarding the final case/Klavier, I wanted to say that while I really, really liked Godot, his constant lines about coffee were pretty trite 99% of the time. Sure, there was a good one here and there, but all his crap about "my 17th cup" and whatnot got tired about three minutes in. This could have something to do with the fact that I hate coffee and find the whole culture around it annoying, from people who have to have X cups a day, to having to order it in some specific manner, etc. In the end, I like Godot more than Franziska. Can't say against Edgeworth though...that'd be a toughie.

@Rolling
How do we know Kristoph needs more forgers? For whatever reason, he wanted it for this particular case. Maybe he knew he was going to lose and couldn't handle it. But that doesn't mean he needs a constant supply of forgers. He wanted to kill them off to seal off all the loose ends, but that has absolutely no bearing on whether or not he'd ever need another one. I'd be more concerned with the fact that he found one to begin with - it's obvious he realized what he had and wanted to use it for a specific reason. You're not really making much sense here.

The rest of your case reads out like a child crying on a playground about the line for the slide being too long. You've done this a lot lately, so I'm not quite sure what's under your skin so much.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'll never like Case 4.

And, frankly, the reveal of Misham painting all of Apollo's cases was probably one of most genuinely creepy reveals in all of PW, and of course they waste it with an unsatisfying explanation.
[/QUOTE]

This was indeed a creepy reveal, but I missed the explanation for this - what was it?

[quote name='Strell']@Rolling
How do we know Kristoph needs more forgers? For whatever reason, he wanted it for this particular case. Maybe he knew he was going to lose and couldn't handle it. But that doesn't mean he needs a constant supply of forgers. He wanted to kill them off to seal off all the loose ends, but that has absolutely no bearing on whether or not he'd ever need another one. I'd be more concerned with the fact that he found one to begin with - it's obvious he realized what he had and wanted to use it for a specific reason. You're not really making much sense here.

The rest of your case reads out like a child crying on a playground about the line for the slide being too long. You've done this a lot lately, so I'm not quite sure what's under your skin so much.
[/quote]

Yes, he uses one forger for one case. And then when he ISN'T working on that one case, he uses goes apeshit and ruins the life of the man who now defends that case, murders the forgers he used for that one case, and then stalks everyone involved in that case, the discredited attorney, the "knows everything about everyone involved" reporter for the rest of his days, murdered the defendant of that case, and then went apeshit ONLY WHEN THE TRUTH OF THAT CASE WAS REVEALED and not when he was CONVICTED OF MURDER. If finding that to be a silly contrivance even by Phoenix Wright standards is playground whining, then I don't know what to tell you.

And, what, I haven't even been back here in a month or so.

For case 2
I don't believe there were two guns. The possibility was raised that there could have been two guns, but unless I'm remembering wrong it was never actually proven that two guns were taken from the Kitaki mansion.

The only reason anyone thought Wocky had a gun in the first place is that the witness saw the doctor get shot, and didn't see anyone else around to do it, and then saw Wocky throw "something" down. The "something" he threw down was his knife, which was found at the crime scene with his fingerprints on it.

I'm still sticking with what I said about Klavier before: he's an interesting change of pace, but as a prosecutor he's pretty bad as he offers little challenge. The issue is, unlike most of the prosecutors in these games, he actually wants the truth. Which makes him unique, but doesn't make Apollo's job as hard as it should be.

Finished it up today. Read through some of the Case 4 debate above, but for now I'll just say: It was an interesting change of pace as far as mechanics go, which I ultimately enjoyed. And the conclusion was pretty satisfying for me, but I tend to love all of the endings of AA games, regardless of how much they stretch logic.

[quote name='Strell']@Kain:
As for Lami, I swear that she says during your first meeting with her that she originally didn't like Borginia, which is why she understands English. That had set off a huge red flag in my head at the time, which didn't really see conclusion until the very end of case 4. Point being is that she probably was an American citizen, which is why she'd be chosen as a potential candidate. However, that goes on the assumption that she. gets her memory back before the case begins, and not during like I suspect. However, that can be explained as well - maybe she applied to citizenship before her memory returned. A bit of a stretch, but it's possible. I don't know if you watch the Simpsons, but in the episode where Apu becomes a citizen, he almost immediately is chosen for jury duty. Besides, since Phoenix is the one choreographing everything, maybe he gets full say on who can and can't serve, which means the rules could be entirely in his hands, at which point there's problem with her being a jurist.
[/quote]
well, for one, i wouldn't trust the simpsons timeline =) come on now, there are more episodes than days and yet they're still all the same age.

it's just pretty silly how it plays out and it's too convenient... but not enough were i'd really warrant analysis on it, nor would i think it really has an impact on the story. just a silly observation.

as for the paintings:
while replaying the game, at the start of case 1 it clearly shows vera's father painting. hmmmm.

i actually agree with rollingskull though.
[quote name='rollingskull']
Yes, he uses one forger for one case. And then when he ISN'T working on that one case, he uses goes apeshit and ruins the life of the man who now defends that case, murders the forgers he used for that one case, and then stalks everyone involved in that case, the discredited attorney, the "knows everything about everyone involved" reporter for the rest of his days, murdered the defendant of that case, and then went apeshit ONLY WHEN THE TRUTH OF THAT CASE WAS REVEALED and not when he was CONVICTED OF MURDER. If finding that to be a silly contrivance even by Phoenix Wright standards is playground whining, then I don't know what to tell you.
[/quote]
it wouldn't sound so bad if we really felt kristoph's motive but we never really did. i mean think about what happened to him:
1- he forged evidence to win the trial, planning to kill the forgers and erase his involvement. he failed at that, so now he has to keep tabs on them to make sure they don't reveal his secret.
2- he got dropped by zak, so he gives his forged "winning" evidence to phoenix and makes his bro call it out on phoenix just so he can spite zak. phoenix loses as planned, but zak escapes, so now he has more links to this illegal forged evidence.
3- i forget why he spies on brushel.

anyway, he must now keep tabs to make sure the forged evidence isn't revealed. why? i don't know. it would make sense if there was a severe penalty or something, a secret to hide, well... ANYTHING. and i don't buy this "black psyche-lock to be revealed in the future." man, screw that. conflicts should be resolved within the game. one of the cool things about PW 3-5 was that it made the older cases shine a lot better... but at the same time, all the cases that were related to it were finished completely and just added on to later. that's how it should be.

he sure is pretty evil but with no good motive, it's hard to really take him seriously.

[quote name='kainzero']
it wouldn't sound so bad if we really felt kristoph's motive but we never really did. i mean think about what happened to him:
1- he forged evidence to win the trial, planning to kill the forgers and erase his involvement. he failed at that, so now he has to keep tabs on them to make sure they don't reveal his secret.
2- he got dropped by zak, so he gives his forged "winning" evidence to phoenix and makes his bro call it out on phoenix just so he can spite zak. phoenix loses as planned, but zak escapes, so now he has more links to this illegal forged evidence.
3- i forget why he spies on brushel.

anyway, he must now keep tabs to make sure the forged evidence isn't revealed. why? i don't know. it would make sense if there was a severe penalty or something, a secret to hide, well... ANYTHING. and i don't buy this "black psyche-lock to be revealed in the future." man, screw that. conflicts should be resolved within the game. one of the cool things about PW 3-5 was that it made the older cases shine a lot better... but at the same time, all the cases that were related to it were finished completely and just added on to later. that's how it should be.

he sure is pretty evil but with no good motive, it's hard to really take him seriously.
[/quote]

You're missing the most headache-inducing part of this.
There is nothing to be revealed in the future. The black psyche locks WERE disguising the secret that Kristoph offed Zak to cover his forgery crime, which was still important enough to cover up WHILE HE WAS IN PRISON. That's pretty much it. You'd think that Engarde would have PLATINUM RARITANIUM FUSED PSYCHE LOCKS for his secret at Case 2-4.

bread's done
Back