NFL 2007 Season Thread

[quote name='DJSteel']the gameplan that consisted of Norwood missing a field goal he should have made??? wow...[/quote]

The Giants were very heavy underdogs going into that Super Bowl and to hold the Bills to 19 points was pretty crazy considering they were the highest scoring offense in the NFL (with the 5th or 6th rated defense too) and they were coming off a 51-3 win in the AFC Championship Game (51 points!). The Bills had like 10 Pro Bowlers and a bunch of future Hall of Famers (Jim Kelley, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, etc.). The Giants were great that year too but everyone thought the 49ers were better and it was a major upset at the time.

[quote name='javeryh']The Giants were very heavy underdogs going into that Super Bowl and to hold the Bills to 19 points was pretty crazy considering they were the highest scoring offense in the NFL (with the 5th or 6th rated defense too) and they were coming off a 51-3 win in the AFC Championship Game (51 points!). The Bills had like 10 Pro Bowlers and a bunch of future Hall of Famers (Jim Kelley, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, etc.). The Giants were great that year too but everyone thought the 49ers were better and it was a major upset at the time.[/quote]

i really don't know what you guys were listening to or watching.. but the NFC at that time was like the AFC now.. NFC was head and shoulders above the AFC..the three SB's prior to that game, the NFC won with a combined score of 117 - 36... SF lost to the Giants, basically because Montana got injured in the 4th quarter...but I bet that was something Belichick drew up on the whiteboard...

[quote name='DJSteel']SF lost to the Giants, basically because Montana got injured in the 4th quarter...but I bet that was something Belichick drew up on the whiteboard...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, because Steve Young was a real stiff for the 49ers, they had no chance at all when he replaced Montana.

And its not as if the Giants lost a starting QB like Phil Simms late in the season, who had the highest passer rating in the NFC, and had Jeff Hostetler at QB throughout the playoffs.

The Bills had 9 Pro Bowlers that year, and the defensive player of the year, that roster was stacked on both sides of the ball. It was a major, major upset when they lost.

Go ahead and keep trying to diminish Belichick's achievements though, you just keep making yourself look foolish.

[quote name='dafoomie']Yeah, because Steve Young was a real stiff for the 49ers, they had no chance at all when he replaced Montana.

And its not as if the Giants lost a starting QB like Phil Simms late in the season, who had the highest passer rating in the NFC, and had Jeff Hostetler at QB throughout the playoffs.

The Bills had 9 Pro Bowlers that year, and the defensive player of the year, that roster was stacked on both sides of the ball. It was a major, major upset when they lost.

Go ahead and keep trying to diminish Belichick's achievements though, you just keep making yourself look foolish.[/QUOTE]

The Bills lost that game, the Giants didn't win it. I can't give a coach credit for not losing them the game. If they were so fantastic, how come they didn't win the year after? Or the year after? Or the year after?

You also can't lump in coordinator achievements with head coach achievements. They are totally different animals. See Wade Phillips and Norv Turner.

If the refs hadn't enforced an obscure rule, would we be talking about this?

Just because your team is the champ doesn't make you the best coach. Damn near any coach would have a shot at the title with Peyton Manning, considering he's practically a coach himself.

[quote name='Silencer']J-E-T-S

Fully expecting another playoff berth for my Jets this year, especially now that we have a stable running back.[/QUOTE]

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand, I'm an ass.

[quote name='dafoomie']Yeah, because Steve Young was a real stiff for the 49ers, they had no chance at all when he replaced Montana.

Go ahead and keep trying to diminish Belichick's achievements though, you just keep making yourself look foolish.[/quote]

Nobody's diminishing the guy, when his career ends he'll have a seat warm in Canton. The only knock on the guy is his only success has been with the Pats, some might argue Dungy took the Bucs from crap to a Super Bowl Contender, and took the Colts who were first round and out, to a Super Bowl, makes him the better coach.

Can't argue with Belichick's defensive scheme's though, they kill every QB.

Oh, and Dilfer's starting again, great, another 6 point offensive effort.

[quote name='bil4ltool']Just because your team is the champ doesn't make you the best coach. Damn near any coach would have a shot at the title with Peyton Manning, considering he's practically a coach himself.[/quote]

I dont believe that for a second. Thats also a kinda small minded response. We all know you need both factors to make it a great team.

You need a good coach and you need a above average team. Now I do agree that players are a little more important than the coaches but you cant just completely dismiss coaches all together.

I think you are forgetting that coaches run the practices. They prepare the drills that keep players in top shape, very smart, and executing a game plan that takes advantage of all the talent thats on the team.

A bad coach wouldnt know who to play....hell a bad coach might not even play Peyton Manning. A bad coach that doesnt agree with Manning on changing the plays at the line all the time could bench him and label him not a team player. Boom there goes a good chunk of Peyton Career which has happen many many times through out the NFL.

You need good coaches and good players. One does not function without the other.

Go ahead and keep trying to diminish Belichick's achievements though, you just keep making yourself look foolish.[/QUOTE]

He diminished his own achievements when he got caught cheating.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Nobody's diminishing the guy, when his career ends he'll have a seat warm in Canton. The only knock on the guy is his only success has been with the Pats, some might argue Dungy took the Bucs from crap to a Super Bowl Contender, and took the Colts who were first round and out, to a Super Bowl, makes him the better coach..[/QUOTE]
The Patriots were crap when Belichick took over. Don't forget that he also has control over personnel, look at who he had in 2000 when he arrived and look at who he drafted and brought in. Why doesn't BB get credit for taking the Pats from crap to a Superbowl in his 2nd season?

BB did have success with the Browns, until the move was announced and the organization died.
[quote name='CocheseUGA']The Bills lost that game, the Giants didn't win it. I can't give a coach credit for not losing them the game. If they were so fantastic, how come they didn't win the year after? Or the year after? Or the year after?[/QUOTE]
The Giants didn't win after 1990 because Parcells left, Belichick left to take the Browns job, Lawrence Taylor's career went into the crapper, and the new coach inexplicably made Hostetler the starter over Simms until he was fired.

I doubt you're old enough to remember that game anyway. The 47 yard field goal he missed is probably the only thing you know about it.
[quote name='pimpinc333']He diminished his own achievements when he got caught cheating.[/QUOTE]
Now you're just being facetious. Besides, I wouldn't characterize that as 'cheating' since you can make the same recordings of defensive signals from anywhere in the building but the sideline, and there wouldn't be any real competitive advantage gained by breaking that rule, which only came into effect this year.

I'd love to see the Pats to 16-0 and win another Superbowl, just to see how you guys try and play it off and deny them credit. I'm sure it'll provide me with about 7 or 8 more minutes of laughter.

Go ahead and keep trying to diminish Belichick's achievements though, you just keep making yourself look foolish.[/quote]
Bills had 9 pro bowlers because the rest of the AFC sucked.. Steve Young, at that time, hadn't played a full season and was set as the backup...put anyone in that situation who had played 6(not whole) games total the whole season and I bet they struggle a little.. even though if I do remember correctly it was late 4th quarter, but Montana was captain comeback, before Elway...

and btw.. you are the one looking like a fuckin moron saying that Belichick's coaching in that super bowl was amazing...I guess Belichick also drew it up that Norwood would miss that field goal..

and Norv Turner is a GREAT example of a coordinator that still can't figure how to be a head coach...

[quote name='dafoomie']The Patriots were crap when Belichick took over. Don't forget that he also has control over personnel, look at who he had in 2000 when he arrived and look at who he drafted and brought in. Why doesn't BB get credit for taking the Pats from crap to a Superbowl in his 2nd season?

BB did have success with the Browns, until the move was announced and the organization died.

The Giants didn't win after 1990 because Parcells left, Belichick left to take the Browns job, Lawrence Taylor's career went into the crapper, and the new coach inexplicably made Hostetler the starter over Simms until he was fired.

I doubt you're old enough to remember that game anyway. The 47 yard field goal he missed is probably the only thing you know about it.

Now you're just being facetious. Besides, I wouldn't characterize that as 'cheating' since you can make the same recordings of defensive signals from anywhere in the building but the sideline, and there wouldn't be any real competitive advantage gained by breaking that rule, which only came into effect this year.

I'd love to see the Pats to 16-0 and win another Superbowl, just to see how you guys try and play it off and deny them credit. I'm sure it'll provide me with about 7 or 8 more minutes of laughter.[/QUOTE]

Now it's you that has no clue.

As far as me remembering the game, I was 11. I can still hear Whitney, it was the last decent thing she did. Just like I can remember Game 7 earlier like it was the previous day.

What he did does diminish his legacy. He willingly broke the rules, and broke them more than once, and not just this year. Cheating=willfully breaking rules.

As far as my previous post, I was referring to the Bills. They ran through a weak AFC for four years and got trumped every time.

On a personal note, I think he's a prick. He's a successful prick, but he's still a prick.

I just don't see how anyone can say Belichick isn't one of the greatest (if not the greatest) coaches in NFL history. He's been to 6 Super Bowls as a defensive coordinator and head coach and won 5 of them. Plus, in two of the years he won he coached underdogs (1990 NYG - 7 points; 2001 NE - 14(!) points). To put that in perspective the '85 Bears were only 11 point favorites to beat New England in the Super Bowl that year and they are widely considered one of the top 5 greatest teams ever assembled - they recorded the Super Bowl Shuffle in the middle of the year for christ's sake.

[quote name='javeryh']I just don't see how anyone can say Belichick isn't one of the greatest (if not the greatest) coaches in NFL history. He's been to 6 Super Bowls as a defensive coordinator and head coach and won 5 of them. Plus, in two of the years he won he coached underdogs (1990 NYG - 7 points; 2001 NE - 14(!) points). To put that in perspective the '85 Bears were only 11 point favorites to beat New England in the Super Bowl that year and they are widely considered one of the top 5 greatest teams ever assembled - they recorded the Super Bowl Shuffle in the middle of the year for christ's sake.[/quote]

please give me a break with this... I've already named 5 better...ever...

Jets were 18pt underdogs in Super bowl III and won...to put it in perspective... Belichick is a good coach..maybe even great...but not even in the top 5 ever..

I find it exceedingly hard to compare someone all-time when they aren't done yet. I can't compare Belichek to Lombardi, because Bill is stil coaching. Just like I can't compare Brady to Montana or Elway because he's still playing.

Who's to say Brady just completely forgets how to complete passes? Say it can't happen, look at Rick Ankiel. Different sport, but same basic principles: throw a ball in a 1.5' squared area, except you have to do it while 350lb linemen come at you. Who's to say teams figure out how to beat Belichek on a regular basis? Does he even keep his job, much less get exhaulted as this generation's Halas or Stram?

And for the record, even if I had to rank him with the top coaches of all time, I can't rank him in the Top 5. Shula, Stram, Lombardi, Walsh and Halas (not necessarily in that order). Belichek would have to win a lot more games and championships to top those five.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I find it exceedingly hard to compare someone all-time when they aren't done yet. I can't compare Belichek to Lombardi, because Bill is stil coaching. Just like I can't compare Brady to Montana or Elway because he's still playing.

Who's to say Brady just completely forgets how to complete passes? Say it can't happen, look at Rick Ankiel. Different sport, but same basic principles: throw a ball in a 1.5' squared area, except you have to do it while 350lb linemen come at you. Who's to say teams figure out how to beat Belichek on a regular basis? Does he even keep his job, much less get exhaulted as this generation's Halas or Stram?

And for the record, even if I had to rank him with the top coaches of all time, I can't rank him in the Top 5. Shula, Stram, Lombardi, Walsh and Halas (not necessarily in that order). Belichek would have to win a lot more games and championships to top those five.[/quote]
not to mention Landry and Noll

Bill is so cool.....no he is not...yes he is...no he is not.

BAAAAH!!!

Can we get back to real football talk instead of this maddenite "my player is better than yours" bullshit?

There is a fantastic weekend of football coming up where you can literally pick your flavor, O state, Michigan, State, Lions is a must win vs Tampa who has ZERO count them ZERO running backs right now, Colts come off a by week.

Can we chill out with this stupid ass coach talk?

[quote name='Soodmeg']Can we chill out with this stupid ass coach talk?[/quote]
Yeah, that dude looks like the emperor anyways:

ne.jpg
swemperor.gif

[quote name='CocheseUGA']s far as my previous post, I was referring to the Bills. They ran through a weak AFC for four years and got trumped every time.[/QUOTE]
You are correct on this point, I misunderstood you. They still had a sick offense with multiple hall of famers, though.

As for the camera thing... Tom Brady was fined $7500 for not buckling his chin strap, he broke the rules. Is that cheating? To say that he 'cheated' would imply that some kind of advantage was gained that could not be done otherwise, within the rules. He had a camera on the sidelines, its against the rules, and he paid a huge price. But is that cheating when you can have a camera elsewhere in the stadium and make the same recordings of the defensive signals, well within the rules? The only distinction here is that the camera was on the sidelines and not in another location. Why does the location of the camera diminish what he's done in his career?

I also think going 6-0 sans camera would seem to refute that point.

[quote name='dafoomie']You are correct on this point, I misunderstood you. They still had a sick offense with multiple hall of famers, though.

As for the camera thing... Tom Brady was fined $7500 for not buckling his chin strap, he broke the rules. Is that cheating? To say that he 'cheated' would imply that some kind of advantage was gained that could not be done otherwise, within the rules. He had a camera on the sidelines, its against the rules, and he paid a huge price. But is that cheating when you can have a camera elsewhere in the stadium and make the same recordings of the defensive signals, well within the rules? The only distinction here is that the camera was on the sidelines and not in another location. Why does the location of the camera diminish what he's done in his career?

I also think going 6-0 sans camera would seem to refute that point.[/QUOTE]

I've never understood the uniform nazis, but I understand this one - they're doing it to help prevent concussions. No, I don't consider that cheating.

I understand your point about the specific location of the camera. But here's one thing I don't understand: If he knew about the rule (and had been caught a previous two times), why was it so important to have it going and risk getting caught?

Now I don't emphathise (curse you IE for no spellcheck) with the Eagles for any reason, but I do find it odd when they make the comments they did about the Super Bowl, when they said the Patriots seemed to know the play they were running before they ran it. Perhaps the defense was that boned up and was just that good. But as long as there is that little bit of doubt, it will hang over his career for some people. Especially due to the margin of victory in each appearance.

I can't deny that this year they look superhuman.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I understand your point about the specific location of the camera. But here's one thing I don't understand: If he knew about the rule (and had been caught a previous two times), why was it so important to have it going and risk getting caught?[/QUOTE]
He either didn't consider the rule a big deal, as it wasn't a big deal at all in years past, or he was just arrogant and didn't care. In his comments, he said he thought the rule only applied when you were using the film for that game, and both him and the NFL have stated that the film was for later use. But, I'm not sure I believe BB's rule interpretation there. He probably thought it was about as significant as the chinstraps.

Mike Martz came out quite strongly and said that there was nothing of the sort going on in Super Bowl 36. The Eagles are more than a little bitter about that game.

Well I won't be surprised or be in awe at anything in that game, they're playing the MIAMI DOLPHINS O_O

I was expecting a shutout, so the next best thing would just be a complete obliteration. This should be like the USC v. Notre Dame game yesterday :p

They are toying with this Dolphins defense, like a cat batting around a crippled rodent.

And yeah, its not as if they destroyed an undefeated team last week, so lets chalk everything up to it being the Dolphins. Though to be fair, I would stop the game after the 1st half.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Well I won't be surprised or be in awe at anything in that game, they're playing the MIAMI DOLPHINS O_O

I was expecting a shutout, so the next best thing would just be a complete obliteration. This should be like the USC v. Notre Dame game yesterday :p[/quote]

I dunno, hearing them chant Brady was pretty unreal.

:lol:

Is it November 4th yet? Hopefully the Colts can remain undefeated since its a pretty sure guarantee the Pats will remain undefeated at this pace.

I do feel bad for the Phins, and not just for this game... Its sad that the best coach they've had since Shula is Jim Bates. They desparately need to find the right man to lead the organization (Cam Cameron? Ouch) and set the ship pointed in the right direction.

[quote name='dafoomie']I do feel bad for the Phins, and not just for this game... Its sad that the best coach they've had since Shula is Jim Bates. They desparately need to find the right man to lead the organization (Cam Cameron? Ouch) and set the ship pointed in the right direction.[/quote]

it's not Cameron's fault that he has a shitty team, no QB, and their defense is pure garbage minus Jason Taylor..

[quote name='Inf^Shini']They need to end this game already, can a team call a forfeit? lol[/quote]

I hope not, I'd like to see them break 70

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Right now...

Patriots = leather belt
Dolphins = bare ass[/quote]

:rofl:

Reminds me of Mr.Deeds. "NO DADDY NOOOO!!!!"

The fuck ing Dolphins SUCK, and as a life-time Pats fan, I'm lovin' it. :rofl:

Tom Brady is having an absolute monster game right now :rofl:

[quote name='DJSteel']it's not Cameron's fault that he has a shitty team, no QB, and their defense is pure garbage minus Jason Taylor..[/QUOTE]
He drafted Ted Ginn Jr. over Brady Quinn when he desparately needed a QB. Thats a fireable offense right there.

How in the world do you pass over Brady Quinn for a WR? Bad teams draft WR's in the 1st round and stay bad.

[quote name='dafoomie']He drafted Ted Ginn Jr. over Brady Quinn when he desparately needed a QB. Thats a fireable offense right there.

How in the world do you pass over Brady Quinn for a WR?[/quote]

That was pretty stupid of him. It was the only first-round pick that got a collective "WTF?" during the draft show.

maybe they thought he wasn't that good...obviously he wasn't the only one who passed on him... The Bills and Jets passed on him as well..but for some reason they get passes...

[quote name='DJSteel']maybe they thought he wasn't that good...obviously he wasn't the only one who passed on him... The Bills and Jets passed on him as well..but for some reason they get passes...[/QUOTE]
Both of those teams have QB's, Pennington isn't going anywhere, at least not this year, and Losman was drafted too recently to give up on just yet.

bread's done
Back