Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='lilman']Just got a 3DS today. That first intro screen where they countdown to 3D is crazy. I don't see myself using 3D for gameplay but it's cool to play with every so often.

Zelda OoT looks unbelievable! I forget I'm playing on a Nintendo handheld.[/QUOTE]

Zelda in 3D is amazing and you would be missing out if you played this in 2D...

[quote name='jj5206']Zelda in 3D is amazing and you would be missing out if you played this in 2D...[/QUOTE]
3D makes my head feel weird. The 3D effects in Zelda are cool though.

I'm liking it w/ 3D turned off. The circle pad works great, a good compromise between an analog stick and having a clamshell design. The graphics seem like a less jaggy current gen psp which is saying a lot for a Nintendo portable. So far I'm happy with my purchase.

OoT definitely looks impressive on the 3DS, probably one of the most impressive games I've ever seen on a portable. I'm enjoying the 3D effects, but I have to turn them off whenever I have to aim as I actually like using the gyroscopic controls for shooting and looking around. I have also noticed that switching back and forth (from 3D/2D) during gameplay is pretty quick and effortless.

Tempted to pick up Zelda since I never originally beat it on the N64 and don't have a 64 anymore, but my recent house expenses are putting me on a spending embargo for quite awhile.

Picked up a 3DS point card from the cute girl at Gamestop today and told her I couldn't find cards at Wal*Mart or Best Buy and she seemed surprised.

One of these days I'll gather up the gumption to ask her out. One. Of. These. Days.

:drool:

Kind of a chore to play Zelda in 3D in regards to keeping it just right with all the battles and the fact that I constantly look around.

Other than the pretty particle effects though, 3D seems straightforward.

In 2D this game looks especially clean thanks the to the 2xAA.
Really nice.

Great game, I'm really enjoying it.

[quote name='2DMention']Tempted to pick up Zelda since I never originally beat it on the N64 and don't have a 64 anymore, but my recent house expenses are putting me on a spending embargo for quite awhile.

Picked up a 3DS point card from the cute girl at Gamestop today and told her I couldn't find cards at Wal*Mart or Best Buy and she seemed surprised.

One of these days I'll gather up the gumption to ask her out. One. Of. These. Days.

:drool:[/QUOTE]

Take care of that drooling issue before you do :p

[quote name='jza1218']Any word on what we'll see on the e-shop this week?[/QUOTE]

Ninty doesn't really preview that sort of thing. They like to dump crap or gold on us every week, with no warning either way.

Now that a game long enough to play for long periods of time is out, I'm finding that the glasses-free 3D makes me nauseated after about 2 hours. Can't wait for Nintendo to release the 3DS Vision Plus in a year or two to fix this.

I might get the 3DS eventually and I always put screen protectors on it.

I have a extra DSI screen protector would that work on a 3DS or should I just go buy 3ds hori one online?

[quote name='meerkatgamer']I might get the 3DS eventually and I always put screen protectors on it.

I have a extra DSI screen protector would that work on a 3DS or should I just go buy 3ds hori one online?[/QUOTE]

For the bottom screen, that would work fine. However, seeing as the top screen is bigger, you'd need a new one for that. Also, a lot of people are getting the screen protectors that actually cover up the whole top half of the unit.

I got a confession: Playing Zelda 3DS makes me feel like buying this system is now completely justified. I'm excited to see what they can do with the rest of the first party releases on this thing.

Confession #2: I have no fucking clue what some of the LEDs on this thing come on for.

The blue LED means you got a Spotpass notification over WiFi and the green one means you got a Streetpass notification from being near another 3DS.

[quote name='pippin']The blue LED means you got a Spotpass notification over WiFi and the green one means you got a Streetpass notification from being near another 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Orange means a friend is online

[quote name='Mixer236']For the bottom screen, that would work fine. However, seeing as the top screen is bigger, you'd need a new one for that. Also, a lot of people are getting the screen protectors that actually cover up the whole top half of the unit.[/QUOTE]

What is a good one to get? I have one for my pspgo and love it. I really haven't looked into anything for my 3DS.

EDIT: I just looked on Amazon, is this one of those protective films? I confused it with something that goes clips on, I think that would be great!!!

For those that are having trouble finding the cards, I saw them at Toys R Us over the weekend, if you have TRU in your area might want to check there.

[quote name='skiizim']What is a good one to get? I have one for my pspgo and love it. I really haven't looked into anything for my 3DS.

EDIT: I just looked on Amazon, is this one of those protective films? I confused it with something that goes clips on, I think that would be great!!![/QUOTE]

This one is the one that most of the people on here swear by, and I just picked one up myself.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K6LQ9E

[quote name='Mixer236']This one is the one that most of the people on here swear by, and I just picked one up myself.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K6LQ9E[/QUOTE]

Great choice. The installation guide makes it stupidly easy. Some people don't like how the top screen protector gives it a purple sheen when light shines on it but it is not distracting and does not degrade the screen quality on the top screen.

Early impressions of Cartoon Network Punchtime Explosion are not good. Need more time with it, but the controls and sound are not good. Regretting purchasing it, but I love Samurai Jack and the Powerpuff Girls.

The concept of Mojo Jojo versus Ben Tennyson amused the crap out of me, but I guessed the game would be a piece of garbage, if it gets downt o $10 I'll probably buy it.

The Japanese sales data confuses me.

3DS sold the most units last week, at 40,649 units. The PSP sold 31,741 units.

Ok, nothing surprising there.

However, Zelda didn't get first place. First place was a PSP game, Little Battle eXperience, beating Zelda by 2000 units. Never even heard of LBX lol.

[quote name='Gden']The concept of Mojo Jojo versus Ben Tennyson amused the crap out of me, but I guessed the game would be a piece of garbage, if it gets downt o $10 I'll probably buy it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was just looking for another game at BB to get with Zelda, and this was on my radar. If they had Green Lantern I would have gone with that instead. Oh well.

[quote name='elessar123']The Japanese sales data confuses me.

3DS sold the most units last week, at 40,649 units. The PSP sold 31,741 units.

Ok, nothing surprising there.

However, Zelda didn't get first place. First place was a PSP game, Little Battle eXperience, beating Zelda by 2000 units. Never even heard of LBX lol.[/QUOTE]

That actually make prefect sense since PSP has been out for years, so most people getting LBX already own the system. For 3DS a lot of people are getting it with Zelda at the same time.

LBX is the new franchise from Level 5. There is also a TV show that is airing right now

[quote name='cochesecochese']Do you guys think the first 3ds revision will have the ridge from the WiiU tablet on the back?[/QUOTE]

Yes. And it will make burritos too.

My review of the 3DS and Zelda after a day:
Everyone will be ecstatic to know that while I am pissed at motion controls and casual games and Nintendo in general at this point, I decided to get a 3DS just to play Zelda (which I never had a chance to play back in the day).

First the bad. Not surprisingly to myself was that there isn't much besides a bunch of gimmicky crap to the 3DS. I played around with it messing with the settings, connecting to the internet (and got Excitebike for free) and making my Mii and such for about an hour. The included mini game/s are a fun for 10 minute type of thing. I wasn't interested in the AR Cards so they sit unused.

The interface is pretty good and the only real complaint I have is that it has a pop up every time you open one program then try and go to another without manually closing the first program. When I hit the "Home" button there should be an option to auto close the program I was in, instead of having to tap 2 times to actually close it and open the other.

The 3DS itself is pretty sexy and I think has a nice weighty feel to it. The only complaint I immediately have is that it's an absolute finger print magnet. Cover the thing up with a case and screen protectors asap. This isn't a big deal to me really since I knew this before buying it. Of course the battery life is also crap but can be fixed with 3rd party products, and is again not a concern to me since I have it plugged in 80% of the time.

And now for Zelda and the 3D experience:

I'm only about an hour in so can't really give impressions on the overall game, but I'd say it's pretty damn good and has exceeded my expectations so far. I was really only expecting it to be good for a 1998 game and figured it was people's nostalgia kicking in and over-hyping it, but after playing just a short way in I can already tell that it's very well done and is much better than many games released today.

Back to the 3DS itself, The 3D on the 3DS works great if you're in the sweet spot, which is pretty impossible to be in all the time since you have to be very still with it. So it gets pretty annoying at points and you need to adjust your eyes or the 3DS fairly often. With the 3D on medium it seemed more tolerable and still looks very good though.

I'd say that the 3D on the 3DS is great in small doses, but the technology is not quite there yet. There is a lot of "ghosting", and again you have to be positioned just right for the full 3D effect. Overall it is awesome and awesomely annoying all at once. I forgive it though since you can just flip the slider to turn the 3D effect up or down. The game itself still looks very good without the 3D and so far I've had it turned on half the time and off the other and am enjoying it all the same.

So if you really want to play Zelda get a 3DS now and you'll enjoy it. If that one game isn't enough for you though stay away until something else good releases or you can find a deal (Either go through Amazon warehouse deals or wait for Black Friday). Eventually when the price is dropped to $200 or there are a couple more games to play it will be worth the purchase.

got my first spot pass hit today! I went to see super 8 at a theater inside a mall. As soon as I got inside the theater I checked the 3ds and it was there. So cool! :applause:

:bomb: So after not having my system for over 2 weeks, I get it back from service today because of the loose hinge issue. As soon as I pop it open I can tell the hinge is just as bad as my old one. Already filled out a new service request. Guess we'll keep doing this until they get it right. The part that really annoys me is that I was looking forward to playing some Zelda but it looks like that ain't gonna happen.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']:bomb: So after not having my system for over 2 weeks, I get it back from service today because of the loose hinge issue. As soon as I pop it open I can tell the hinge is just as bad as my old one. Already filled out a new service request. Guess we'll keep doing this until they get it right. The part that really annoys me is that I was looking forward to playing some Zelda but it looks like that ain't gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

You could play Zelda and mail the 3DS back later.

Nintendo eShop and Nintendo DSiWare

Stratego: Next Edition – Demonstrate your strategic skills on the battlefield against opponents who will do everything in their power to outsmart you. Rise to the challenge and become the greatest general of all time. (For Nintendo 3DS/Nintendo DSi)

Also new this week:
Tennis (Nintendo eShop)

Delbo (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare)

Put Hori screen protectors on. Can't tell they are there and the top one doesn't affect 3D at all. The only problem was a small section of the top protector didn't have adhesive so it looks like an air bubble. It's not on the screen (close to it) so I don't mind.

Also took two rubber feet off one of my 360's and stuck them to the top corners. I was worried the lower screen ridge was going to scratch the top screen but the 360 feet seem to be just the right height.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']:bomb: So after not having my system for over 2 weeks, I get it back from service today because of the loose hinge issue. As soon as I pop it open I can tell the hinge is just as bad as my old one.[/QUOTE]
Did they send you your old 3DS "fixed" or a new system?

I just bought my system the other day and the hinge is a little loose.For me it doesn't affect gameplay. The only time I could see it being a problem is combining gyro motion with 3D, but even without a loose hinge when you start moving around it's hard to keep the 3D from blurring so no big deal.

Okay, so I got a 3DS with Zelda & SSF4, and I've played with it for a good 8 hours now. I'm definitely enjoying it, but I have a few complaints...

1. The screen is too small for my liking, but I can get over that until the 3DSi or XL comes out.

2. The top screen seems slightly less bright than the bottom screen, and both screens don't get ANYWHERE near bright enough to play in even moderate daylight. The brightness is under-powered, my iPhone I can easily see in the day time, but my 3DS I can't even see in my house with the curtains open during the day without staring at a reflection of my face. This to me in pretty unacceptable, this is a portable system, I need to be able to see it under varying lighting conditions. My DS Lite screens are MUCH brighter at the highest level than the 3DS' at it's max.

3. The speakers suck, and are way too low.

4. I still wish it had a second analog, that would open up so much more game possibilities & improved camera control. I can't see myself ever wanting to play a FPS or any first person game on this. I don't find the touch screen to be an accurate or adequate replacement for dual-anlog at all.

5. The battery life, it sucks. This actually doesn't bother me so much because I can just get a car charger if I'm traveling.

[quote name='Rocko']My hinge seemed a little loose. My roommate's system did too. Might just be the way it goes.[/QUOTE]

Mine's loose as well. Aqua blue system(not that it probably matters)

I have also acquired a Nintendo 3DS recently, downloading my free games, using the AR cards, making Miis, walking for Play Coins, etc.

#1 - AR cards are kinda cool, but 14 inches seems like a bit of a hassle. I hope more come out later.

#2 - The Mii creator is neat, especially the Photo Creator. Really funny. However, why are the eyes always so small? Face Raiders is neat, too.

#3 - Excitebike 3D seems kinda cool with the varying ways to sort out the 3D, but they also kinda ruined Excitebike by messing with the physics.

#4 - Updating is a pain, just like the Wii.

#5 - Battery Life...I haven't run into any issues yet. Seems really short, but I have had it on ever since getting it.

#6 - I need your friend codes now.

[quote name='KingBroly']#6 - I need your friend codes now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strell']I picked up Dead or Alive due to the Zelda deal at Best Buy.

I need opponents. Come face your doom, peons.[/QUOTE]
I just PMed you both my 3DS FC.:cool:

[quote name='utopianmachine']Nintendo eShop and Nintendo DSiWare

Stratego: Next Edition – Demonstrate your strategic skills on the battlefield against opponents who will do everything in their power to outsmart you. Rise to the challenge and become the greatest general of all time. (For Nintendo 3DS/Nintendo DSi)

Also new this week:
Tennis (Nintendo eShop)

Delbo (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare)[/QUOTE]

Glad to see Nintendo is getting those classic games on the VC.

Tennis GB is all that came out for 3DS?

I thought the delay in launching the eShop from launch was to have nice steady content available.

bread's done
Back