Noby Noby Boy - Gen. Discussion & Info

Ah, man, I'm out of town now - last night when I reported to Girl it was oh so very close to getting to the Moon. I'll have to wait till Friday to check it out. So it will take a while I'm guessing to get to the next planet. How are they doing this? Next closest is Venus I guess, but it depends on which way they go ;). It makes more sense to go the other way, so Mars would be next.

Never mind - looked back and saw Frisky's post about Mars. Given that it took, what, a week to get to the moon we have a ways to go before we hit Mars. This is actually very well designed because if they keep this going it will add new content for a few years probably. Though it could backfire, too, if people grow tired of it and it never makes it to, say, Jupiter.

By the way, that Penny Arcade cartoon was one of the best I've ever seen - I actually laughed out loud here in my hotel room :rofl:.

Going off of the total length so far over the past five days (426,337,205), we averaged about 85 million meters per day, so we would reach Mars in 660 days at this current pace. Basically, we'll be on Mars December 16, 2010. :oldman: Of course if more people buy it and play it, we could see Mars sooner, but just in case... Merry Christmas.

Yeah, the more I think about it (without even doing the calculations) the timing is a bit off... I mean, in terms of the size of the solar system, the Earth and the moon are right on top of each other. That it took so long to get to the moon is not a good sign. I'm sure they'll do something to speed it up though. Mars is pretty close, too, compared to the ones after that. I'll let Frisky do the math, but I'm guessing we won't hit Pluto until 2050 ;).

Since io gave me the homework, and piqued my interest, here's how long it would take to get all the way to Neptune (since Pluto's inside of Neptune now and is no longer a planet :whistle2:():

Jupiter: January 17, 2028
Saturn: July 15, 2047
Uranus: January 20, 2092
Pluto: September 24, 2146
Neptune: May 30, 2147

:whistle2:( :oldman::oldman::oldman::oldman::oldman:

I haven't bought the game yet, just because it seems that you need to be one some sort of psychedelics to get the most out of the game.

I still have roughly $10 left on my PSN wallet...

Heh, this game is awesome. The moon is fun to play on. I don't really think all players are adding their meters to girl... maybe they don't know how? I mean when I first played I was just thinking WTF did i just spend my $5 on??

Great pics!

This gif is funny, watch the guy hit the T-Rex.

mjxx95.gif

Tried out the recording feature. Tried to see the longest length I could get (410m I think). Saw the man on the moon, I think he was praying?!? (to the sun, muslim?)

Then I accidently reported to girl, upon exiting I fell down in the shape of a spinning top.

Tried to go see my buddy praying again, but he didn't want to talk. Thus shooting me out of my chimeny, resulting in 400+ of silly string.

I thought it was a damn cool video but the upload had an "error" so I'm desribing it as I don't know if the exact thing ever really happens twice in this game!!

Cut&Pasted this from the forums over at gamefaqs.com

"Ok first of all this is my first topic. Here is the easy way to get length with out even holding your controler. Hold down L2 and R2 while your BOY is short and pink ( no segments in the middle ). move one end just a tad then hold down L3 or R3, thats OR not AND. Tada!!! If you want you can rig your controler with some rubber bands and go watch a movie or somthing. I was able to gain about 600m per minute, after a 20 min shower i had about 18,000m. Well i hope this helps us get to the moon.

I want to see some serious growing in the next few days, now GET TO IT!!!!"

[quote name='shadowkast']Cut&Pasted this from the forums over at gamefaqs.com

"Ok first of all this is my first topic. Here is the easy way to get length with out even holding your controler. Hold down L2 and R2 while your BOY is short and pink ( no segments in the middle ). move one end just a tad then hold down L3 or R3, thats OR not AND. Tada!!! If you want you can rig your controler with some rubber bands and go watch a movie or somthing. I was able to gain about 600m per minute, after a 20 min shower i had about 18,000m. Well i hope this helps us get to the moon.

I want to see some serious growing in the next few days, now GET TO IT!!!!"
[/quote]

I love tape. :D aka it works pretty damn well.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']I haven't bought the game yet, just because it seems that you need to be one some sort of psychedelics to get the most out of the game.

I still have roughly $10 left on my PSN wallet...[/quote]

Pretty much. Sober Noby Noby Boy=Boring

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Since io gave me the homework, and piqued my interest, here's how long it would take to get all the way to Neptune (since Pluto's inside of Neptune now and is no longer a planet :whistle2:():

:whistle2:( :oldman::oldman::oldman::oldman::oldman:[/QUOTE]

D'oh! Well, they are definitely going to have to accelerate that - especially as after the next few weeks the contributions will start to go down as this isn't shiny and new any more.

And Pluto is still closer than Neptune? I thought it would have switched back by now. It has been that way for a while, but I guess things move slowly out there ;).

I imagine that they could easily offer "Double Length" weekends or something to bring people back in to help get to the other planets a little faster.

I found out that there's a cool surprise if you push the left stick to the right and then push the select button, which brings up what was that TGS teaser that confused a lot of people about what Noby Noby Boy was.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Since io gave me the homework, and piqued my interest, here's how long it would take to get all the way to Neptune (since Pluto's inside of Neptune now and is no longer a planet :whistle2:():

:whistle2:( :oldman::oldman::oldman::oldman::oldman:[/quote]

Hm...wonder if the PS3 will be profitable by the time Girl reaches Jupiter...

[quote name='OatmealMu']Yeah, 39th ranked in the world. I'm feelin' the Noby.[/quote]

Meh. The "cheat" really defeats the whole ranking thing for me sadly.

Look further up the page a bit. Basically, I used rubberbands and careful balancing of a DVD-R spool and salt shaker to get Boy into an endless stretch-retract... thing. Then, I went to bed. Surprisesd my rig didn't self-destruct.

Rankings are pretty much pointless. The important thing is getting the trick out to the masses so we can make it to the ends of the solar system at a rapid pace.

don't give a shit what people say. if it's too weird for you to handle then too bad, the charm is where it's at.

I'll have to say this is the best form of experimentation I've ever come across in gameplay ever in a game. It's more fun to know less.

Anyone else hate how people keep labeling Noby Noby Boy and Flower as "not a game?"

Since when do games have such a strict set of characteristics that define them; also, when did they become official?

This notion that games have to have X, Y, and Z is too narrow minded.

Well I would say Flower at least is definitely a game since it has a narrative, stages, objectives and collectibles. Noby Noby has none of those things, though so it's harder to call it a game when it's really more of a demonstration of a concept...still a fun little game while it lasts. Can't say that it stays interesting for very long though.

We'll see what the DLC brings.

It'd be interesting to see if this made a profit. There are ~25k people playing this so that's about 125k in monies. After SONY takes it's cut I can't imagine there's a whole lot left over for Namco...

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']Well I would say Flower at least is definitely a game since it has a narrative, stages, objectives and collectibles. Noby Noby has none of those things, though so it's harder to call it a game when it's really more of a demonstration of a concept...still a fun little game while it lasts. Can't say that it stays interesting for very long though.[/quote]
It has two of those (stages and objectives). It's a sandbox game with community objectives and tons of levels to play around in.

Oh yeahhhh I just wanted to say something about the controller trick.

It nets me roughly 33K meters an hour. At that rate I will gain a mil every 30 hours. So I'm guessing that the top few guys are not only using the controller trick but also reporting from multiple PS3's.

The Destructoid reviews and many of the comments on there are interesting. It shows that a lot of people require a game to tell them exactly what to do before they believe they are "enjoying" themselves. I imagine many of those type of people also find other pasttimes where the experience itself is the reward, such as playing a real instrument, unenjoyable because there's no one around to tell them "YOU WIN!"

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It has two of those (stages and objectives). It's a sandbox game with community objectives and tons of levels to play around in.[/quote]

I wouldn't say the randomly generated maps can be considered stages...when you switch levels it's essentially the same thing as refreshing your internet browser. The one objective that lasts forever isn't really "completable" unless you count reaching the moon as "completing" an objective.

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']I wouldn't say the randomly generated maps can be considered stages...when you switch levels it's essentially the same thing as refreshing your internet browser. The one objective that lasts forever isn't really "completable" unless you count reaching the moon as "completing" an objective.[/quote]
I wouldn't say they're all randomly generated when some of us have run into the same themed levels. There are definitely certain standard levels that everyone can run into and some that are randomly generated, but they're all still levels.

It's still an objective that people have to work together to reach each of the planets to unlock new settings. It doesn't last forever when there are defined ends to those goals. You can add the leaderboards being more objectives to work on, like getting to first on your friends list, reporting the most length for a day, beating your previous highs for daily totals, or getting to the top of the overall leaderboard. It's a sandbox game, so you have the freedom to decide your own goals.

I don't call it a game. I call it a toy.

It's like playing with a tonka truck. You know, the big metal yellow ones we had as kids.

[quote name='Razzuel']Anyone else hate how people keep labeling Noby Noby Boy and Flower as "not a game?"

Since when do games have such a strict set of characteristics that define them; also, when did they become official?

This notion that games have to have X, Y, and Z is too narrow minded.[/quote]

You should listen to the newest Rebel FM. Robert Ashley a freelance writer goes off on a rant about the whole "not a game" thing. Its funny...so far he has been hilarious. Havent listened to it all yet.

[quote name='xDARKx Knight']You should listen to the newest Rebel FM. Robert Ashley a freelance writer goes off on a rant about the whole "not a game" thing. Its funny...so far he has been hilarious. Havent listened to it all yet.[/quote]

I just listened to the part where Robert Ashley went off on that rant.

Yeah, I agree with him. Games do not need goals to be games. Even still though, Noby Noby Boy does have a goal: stretch Boy to stretch Girl.

bread's done
Back