NOW LIVE DC Universe Online (PS3/PC) Free to download and FREE-TO-PLAY

FerDK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Finally. I was waiting for this...

That’s right, DC Universe Online will soon be free to download from the PlayStation Store, and free-to-play with no monthly fees required.

About DCUO, click here.

DCUO New Gameplan, click here.

FREE TO PLAY FAQ, click here.

PSN Blog announcement, click here.

Mods, please do not move this thread to the free stuff section.
This is a great deal with a 100% discount!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
^I'm with you on this one...can never seem to really get into MMOs for some reason but I'm willing to try the game out since it's free and I love comics. :bouncy:

[quote name='mlow44']imho free still isn't a good enough deal for this game... I don't know how they ever kept afloat this long, even. Awful, awful game. Awful powers, awful controls, awful interface, awful quests... the list goes on. The one thing they have going for them is the obscure cameo appearances, and the novelty of it all runs dry pretty quick. The highlights of that game included the few times I went, "Oh hey, I vaguely/almost/kinda remember this person/place/thing from that one comic/story/show I read/watched/heard about when I was a kid/in high school/last week."

First Star Wars, and now DC Comics. Never again will I fall to your MMO trickery, Sony.[/QUOTE]

those are some pretty bold claims...got any support for any of them?

With Battlefield 3 coming out in 2 days the next legend will NOT be me! Sorry Sony. You should have made this F2P at a better time......like when you released the game.

If I download the free 30-day premium pass from Subway cups in Nov. will I be eligible for trophies? What about after the 30 days?

[quote name='xenozfan2']I was lucky to get the game for .01 at gamestop. :)[/QUOTE]
Are they really selling it for that price? Since it's not on the website and all...

[quote name='SuperMario64']Are they really selling it for that price? Since it's not on the website and all...[/QUOTE]

I went to a GameStop that I remembered had a PS3 Collectors Edition version, I asked the clerk and he says that they are not carrying the game anymore, and then I asked:
- What about the Collector's edition that I saw back in the day?
And the Clerk answered...
- We threw it away!
My reaction... = :censored:

Can you believe it?

[quote name='SuperMario64']Are they really selling it for that price? Since it's not on the website and all...[/QUOTE]
Technically once it reaches that price they're supposed to destroy it/toss it in the dumpster. Some employees of BB and GS have gotten in trouble for selling pennied items before.

But if you're lucky they may remove it from their system and once it's out of the system they could just give it to you at GS, though if their manager/DM finds out about that they could get in trouble for that as well.

[quote name='veganintendo']I went to a GameStop that I remembered had a PS3 Collectors Edition version, I asked the clerk and he says that they are not carrying the game anymore, and then I asked:
- What about the Collector's edition that I saw back in the day?
And the Clerk answered...
- We threw it away!
My reaction... = :censored:

Can you believe it?[/QUOTE]
Seriously? WOW......

Very interesting, my local GameStop has had the same copy of the CE since the game came out, I might ask him what they plan on doing with it and see if I can get it. I would go in a dumpster for that Batman statue.

People are shocked by them throwing the CE away? Gamestop has to throw anything penny'd away, what doesn't get thrown away an employee takes or a CAG gets.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Technically once it reaches that price they're supposed to destroy it/toss it in the dumpster. Some employees of BB and GS have gotten in trouble for selling pennied items before.

But if you're lucky they may remove it from their system and once it's out of the system they could just give it to you at GS, though if their manager/DM finds out about that they could get in trouble for that as well.[/QUOTE]
further proof why i will not shop there bring down the the gs beast i've work for them 3 times and hated every min of it who misses funcoland i do gs bastards be damned

I couldn't find it in the store, DCU page still says coming soon so I'm guess this hasn't been rereleased yet... but I figure I should toss a post in just to confirm/subscribe to the thread for pending info.

[quote name='rennoc3258']further proof why i will not shop there bring down the the gs beast i've work for them 3 times and hated every min of it who misses funcoland i do gs bastards be damned[/QUOTE]

I miss punctuation and grammar.

[quote name='jza1218']I miss punctuation and grammar.[/QUOTE]

Call me an old man, but it hurts my eyes and my heart. Darn kids and their interwebz.

[quote name='deletion']ok it's october where is this game?! :) i check the psn store just about everyday hoping that it's there.[/QUOTE]On their FB page, there will be a announcement on Oct. 27.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Trophies have nothing to do with the level of your membership.[/QUOTE]

But I thought I read you don't get trophies if you're doing the free version of the game.

[quote name='MSUHitman']But I thought I read you don't get trophies if you're doing the free version of the game.[/QUOTE]

Nothing I have read states that. The only differences between the three levels is what in-game features you have. Like how much money/stash size, character slots, etc etc.

[quote name='MSUHitman']If I download the free 30-day premium pass from Subway cups in Nov. will I be eligible for trophies? What about after the 30 days?[/QUOTE]
Good question, I want to know too

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Trophies have nothing to do with the level of your membership.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MSUHitman']But I thought I read you don't get trophies if you're doing the free version of the game.[/QUOTE]

You're right Hitman. Somebody quoted a Sony response to the trophy question from the comments of the article. They stated only "paid" games can have trophies and only the Legendary membership would have them. Of course, then people started pulling out the "well what about free PSN games that have trophies" but I'm sure those are different since they are typically sponsored/promotional so somebody is paying for them in hopes of you buying something else i.e. Give you BTTF Ep1 in hopes you buy Ep2+.

[quote name='woodcan']Good question, I want to know too

You're right Hitman. Somebody quoted a Sony response to the trophy question from the comments of the article. They stated only "paid" games can have trophies and only the Legendary membership would have them. Of course, then people started pulling out the "well what about free PSN games that have trophies" but I'm sure those are different since they are typically sponsored/promotional so somebody is paying for them in hopes of you buying something else i.e. Give you BTTF Ep1 in hopes you buy Ep2+.[/QUOTE]

Yeah all the free PSN games like you said are either PS Plus giveaways or are sponsored, like when Sprint gave away copies of that crappy Kung Fu marionette game for 1 week.

I just hope the Subway Premium for 30 days is enough to get trophies.

[quote name='rennoc3258']further proof why i will not shop there bring down the the gs beast i've work for them 3 times and hated every min of it who misses funcoland i do gs bastards be damned[/QUOTE]
Personally, I miss EB Games. They used to have used game guides in store for $2-5 and rarely did they go over that price. I don't understand why GS doesn't start taking those in for trade and sell them used as well. They could price them like they do 'rare' games and gouge out the ass for harder to find ones, but it'd be nice to be able to grab some stuff I missed when they pennied it.

Although the only thing I do NOT miss from EB are those lil square price stickers. Those things were stuck to the cases with super glue or so it seemed.

[quote name='ClevelandBrowns']Any word on this? I thought it was supposed to be free today on PSN?[/QUOTE]

I heard it was supposed to happen the 19th. At this point I'm kind of assuming it's just never going F2P and SOE is just fucking with us.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah all the free PSN games like you said are either PS Plus giveaways or are sponsored, like when Sprint gave away copies of that crappy Kung Fu marionette game for 1 week.

I just hope the Subway Premium for 30 days is enough to get trophies.[/QUOTE]

Correct me if Im wrong but I believe if you become a "Premium" member(buy more than $5 worth of in-game content) you also enable trophies. Also 30 days wouldnt be enough time to platinum considering you must level up 6 different characters to level 30.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Well that sucks. I have a much smaller interest in playing it now.[/QUOTE]

Are trophies really that important to you? Just pay the $5 for the upgraded membership if you really want them. Its a free game dude. :roll:

Thanks. Hopefully when I turn on my PS3 tomorrow it will be available to download. Can't believe this is the first time I read this. Whew.

hopefully the download doesn't take forever, sometimes stuff off PSN takes hour and hours for a normal DL. I'm running a 15MB connection.

[quote name='pimpster4183']hopefully the download doesn't take forever, sometimes stuff off PSN takes hour and hours for a normal DL. I'm running a 15MB connection.[/QUOTE]
The beta took forever to download and then hours to install. Considering this is the full game, it'll probably be worse

[quote name='Lord Chabelo']So it's available now?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Just checked the PSN store, nowhere to be found (free at least...you can still buy monthly passes under the DCU Online heading...).

Really looking forward to playing this...couldn't care less about the trophies (even though I'm not anti-trophy, mind you). I just like DC comics :applause:

[quote name='Lord Chabelo']So it's available now?[/QUOTE]

The free-to-play version has not been released yet. Their Twitter account said that they'll be making a major announcement on October 27th.

[quote name='Minkyboi']Are trophies really that important to you? Just pay the $5 for the upgraded membership if you really want them. Its a free game dude. :roll:[/QUOTE]

My backlog for PS3/360 alone is around 150-200 games, so it isn't a big deal, but it gives me less interest in playing. Also, the $5 doesn't give you the Legendary level, that requires $15 a month.

According to woodcan "They stated only "paid" games can have trophies and only the Legendary membership would have them."

That means it would be $15 a month to get trophies in it. Is it what makes me play a game no, but with so many other games for me to play this makes me less interested in playing DCUO. If I can trophies with the one time $5 payment that is different, but I refuse to play $15 a month.

Why is it that when someone voices their own opinion and does not say it in a factual way people feel the need to "attack!"?

I never said "Ugh no trophies, that sucks, everyone should boycott it!"

All I said was that it lowered my own personal interest in playing it. Free or not, I have a ton of other games to play, so every little plus/bonus a game gives me is important due to time management.

[quote name='digitalplague']its a free game who gives a rats behind about "trophies" its not like they are as cool as achievements![/QUOTE]

Yeah...because achievements are sooo "cool".

[quote name='The Smilkman']The free-to-play version has not been released yet. Their Twitter account said that they'll be making a major announcement on October 27th.[/QUOTE]
Their announcement: We changed our minds on making this F2P. Back to biz as usual.;) Ya gotta admit that that would be in line with other Sony screwups in recent years, no?
[quote name='digitalplague']its a free game who gives a rats behind about "trophies" its not like they are as cool as achievements![/QUOTE]
Personally I think trophies and achievements are BOTH stupid. Usually when a trophy pops up on my screen when playing a game it distracts me for a second, I go 'oh I got a trophy woopidy doo', then I go back to playing the game.

I understand WHY they added these to games(so people feel like they haven't just wasted hundreds of hours of their lives using a character to ), but I really get the feeling that in this gen there needs to be a trophy for 'played through the glitchiest game in history' for quite a few of these.

Instead of wasting time putting these lil e-peen boosters in their games, the devs should really try making a complete game that isn't a mess that crashes and needs to be patched every other week for 6 months after release.:roll:

[quote name='Saix_XIII']My backlog for PS3/360 alone is around 150-200 games, so it isn't a big deal, but it gives me less interest in playing. Also, the $5 doesn't give you the Legendary level, that requires $15 a month.
[/QUOTE]

Dude, I know the $5 doesnt give you the Legendary level, but you need to learn to read because you're just spreading more false information.

Free players have access to the entire game, but their actions won't unlock Sony's answer to Microsoft's Achievement Points. To earn the trinkets, players have to pay $5 to become a Premium member or $15 to become a Legendary member.

You see, the word "or" according to Dictionary.com means:

or
conjunction
(used to connect words, phrases, or clauses representing alternatives): books or magazines; to be or not to be.

EDIT: Either way, I dont really care since I'll be playing this on PC anyways. I can't really imagine playing another MMO on a console (already tried that with FFXI)

bread's done
Back