Official 2009 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='karkyco']Man, Desert_Gold_Hound, those N64 games are FILTHY. They look like they were passed through a bowel movement.[/quote]

LMAO, nothing a wipe down can't do.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']LMAO, nothing a wipe down can't do.[/quote]

Yeah, I know...I've cleaned plenty of filthy carts in my day. But damn, I was just surprised because they're all uniformly filthy in that pic. Did they have a dog that buried them in the backyard or something? LOL. I hope they didn't smell like poo!!!

ROFLMAO

Yea they were pretty bad but they are clean now. Maybe it did go through a bowl movement I couldn't figure out why I smelled (you fill in blank) I kept looking at the bottom of my shoes. OK J/K.

As far as the question regarding the Disney games I will have to put them back in the system. I cant remember if it was those that had changed old Atari games into a different theme. I will plug it in and try to snap some photos tomorrow.

EDIT: Does anyone know if replacemt video cords are available for these jakks games? I am thining of taking one of the ones that dont work and drilling out the cord area of the stop and just gluing a new cord in place. What do you think? I do have basic soldering skills so sodering is no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of the Atari tv games (the sky blue one with ms. pacman) i bought it like 6 years ago when it came out, I think you can solder on new AV cords if you find a way top open it up.

For your plug N play games, there is probably just a break in the cord or something. I am sure you can patch it with a little solder. These things are made REALLY cheaply on the inside. Also check the contacts going to the battery compartment, as if there is corrosion there the wires can snap off and that can make the games not work as well. Again you should be able to fix that easy if you know how to solder.

The games are set up inside like a basic video game controller (genesis or NES), they have a board, the game chip is on the board and the rubber pads and buttons that you would typically find when opening up a controller.

Um you should just be able to pop them open with screwdrivers by unscrewing the screws, I don't think they take any special kind of screwdriver.

Mine still works like the day I bought it, I remember about 3 years ago me and a buddy played galaga ALL DAY to see who could get the farthest. I do that trick where you let the mothership capture your ship and after you shoot it you get to play double fire power.

Good times! I might crank mine up again someday although the picture looks grainy on my LCD HDTV.

If you have an extra pair of yellow/white AV cables hanging around go for it.

finds030109.jpg

Vectorman, Vectorman 2, Landstalker, Sonic and Knuckles, Toe Jam and Earl, Magic School Bus, Wonderboy in Monster Land, Mario Party 2 and Jungle Book (nes) - $17

Good swap meet find.

[quote name='darkslime']Those are nothing. Check out what I won in an as is ebay auction:
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127596&highlight=shitty[/quote]

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

[quote name='darkslime']Everyone wants to know if they work. I've cleaned off Dr. Mario, Yoshi, and SMB3, and unfortunately....... None of them work, so I probably won't be bothering to clean the others. V_V

Now give me suggestions of what to do with these pieces of shit. I don't want to toss them because I hate throwing games out no matter if they work or not.[/quote]

I don't know what they told you to do with them over in the digitpress forums, but I say you should list them on eBay with no pics and sell them to the highest bidder, like the guy who sold them to you did!!! Only this time don't misspell Nintendo! LOL!

[quote name='darkslime']IMO that just seems like a dick move to do. :/
They're still sitting in my house.[/QUOTE]

I just read through the Digitpress thread and saw the auction listing. I can't believe that seller couldn't give a better description then "used and old." I mean those games were filthy and mold-covered!

Nevermind, I read through the DP thread...I would file a paypal dispute. "AS IS" does not cover the condition they were in. You could also live chat with an ebay rep about the items. I am not sure if they fall under the hazardous materials catagory, but if they potentially have 'toxic mold' on them, you may have an auto win. Put those carts in a zip loc and leave them in it. Clean any surface they have touched in your home.

Anyone ever find a copy of Ninja Turtles hyperstone heist in the wild? I think it was the only ninja turtles genesis game

[quote name='Kuros']Final Fantasy 9, Final Fantasy 8, Miss Spider's Tea Party, Sammy Sosa Softball Slam, ODT, KISS Pinball - $12

finds030509.jpg
[/quote]

this is the very definition of taking the good with the bad. good pick up, either way.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Anyone ever find a copy of Ninja Turtles hyperstone heist in the wild? I think it was the only ninja turtles genesis game[/quote]

I have. I picked it up for $4.99 at a PnT.

Eh, those 4 games were $2 each and in complete/excellent condition. I don't have them, so in the collection they go.

Please keep up the great pics and stories folks. It's still a bit chilly for yard sales here in NY, but I'm getting fired up for the season.

First contribution to the yard sale thread!

I wasn't planning on going to any sales today, but as I was headed home from lunch, I saw a cardboard sign on a telephone pole: Garage Sale 7-3 PM! So I stopped.

Wasn't expecting any gaming-related items, but there, in the back corner was this:

1000329n.jpg

Yeah, it has all the hookups (including a random AV cable which was put in the bag by accident I'm sure) and two more controllers. Girl said she wanted $50, but was "looking to just get rid of it," so I CIF'd her $25 and walked away with a perfectly working NES (no blowing required). Yessss!

Not a bad day at all at the swap meet. Decided to go this morning even though a digitpress member who also lives in tucson seemed to have cleaned it out last night, and I'm glad I did.

First, saw some guy with some DVDs. I found King Of The Hill season 1 that surprisingly had all the discs and were mint. Asked the guy how much, he said 5. I offered 3 and he took it.

King Of The Hill: The Complete First Season (complete, mint) - $3

Next went to the guy that has everything priced at a dollar. He had a bunch of big ziploc bags full of CDs and PC games that said $1 for all on each one. I looked through them, nothing struck my eye, then I saw system shock 2 in one and bought that bag. So for $1 total I got: (all are mint and complete unless noted)

System Shock 2
Treasure Mountain! (I have nostalgia of playing this as a little kid
js_bigsmile.gif
)
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor
Wheel of Fortune (SEALED)
Quantum Gate: An Interactive Movie By Greg Roach
Unreal Tournament
Heavy Metal 2000 + bonus disc (discs only)- I have no idea what this is, a cartoon?
Everquest: The Ruins of Kunark (disc only)
Some booklet thing with a bunch of educational games and CDs such as schoolhouse rock
Scene It Jr. The DVD Game Disc One (SEALED)
Theatre League Season Sampler (disc only)
Tom Clancy's Rogue Sphere Black Thorn (disc only)
Interludes: Soothing Sounds of Nature and Music
World Of Warcraft Trial Edition
David Oistrakh Violin Concertos

Then I went over to the place I got the big saturn lot at, where he has good video games usually all priced at $2 each, and found:

Dreamcast:
Grandia II (mint and complete)

Genesis:
Sword of Sodan (complete, cover of manual ripped off)

It was $4 total.

Then, I saw a guy with a big pile of saturn stuff, I was going to buy all, but he wanted $60 for everything and I only had $35 left on me. >_> He said $4 each for games, most were crap but out of them I picked:

Nights (complete, not for resale version)
Clockwork Knight (complete)
Interact Memory Card Plus (complete, now I can finally save my saturn games!)

$12 total

If anyone cares enough pics will be up later in the week.

finds031009.jpg

Singstar Bundle, Meet the Robinsons, Top Gun, Manhunt 2, Singstar 80's, Camp Lazlo (x2), College Hoops 2k8, Parappa the Rapper, and Quad Desert Fury - $26.62

Hot Shots Golf, Blast Chamber and Tomb Raider - $3

Ok I don't recall all I got this week becouse I have been bying cheep things thats needed for the house. But as far as game stuff goes I got a GC for $1.00 its lid didnt close and I got that fixed, I have not tested yet as it didn't have any cables/games. It the balck one. I got Addams Family fr the Gen. $0.50 I got some more electric car racing parts I think for $1, A barbie Train set for 0.50 I sold for 20.00. I also got a bunch of other nick nacks (too many to list) and I only spent $15.00 total this week. So not bad especialy when a couple are worth well over $20 on ebay.

EDIT: as I go through all my finds I might mention some other stuff it all got throughn into a pile this week.

I did trade my white 360 wirless controller for a NES Satallite becouse I have wonted one and didnt need the 360 controller.

I also finaly ordered my security bits (I was glad when I got that GC becouse I needed these.

I Picked up a good 360 lot over on another forum a week or so ago...

Fight Night Rnd 3
Ninety Nine Nights
Tiger Woods '07
X-men the Official Game
Tomb Raider Legend

All 5 Came to $42 including shipping (with DC). Broke down to roughly $7 a piece plus the shipping cost.

In February I got the following all new...

Ratchet & Clank Future Tools of Destruction - $30
Ninja Gaiden II - $9
WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2008 - $6 (360)
Heavenly Sword - $15

Oh yea I also got a new in package Coleman Cold Heat Cordlesss Soldering Iron whit batteries for $0.50 I alwasy wonted to try one of these. I havent opened it yet as I havent needed to solder anything but cant wait to try these out. I burn myself alot using irons. I might wait tell my hand heals from a lye burn though I got yesterday while making soap I droped something in my lye water and didn't react very smartly and just reached in and grabed it....OUCH luckly I had a bucket full of vineger that I keep near by so its more like a sunburn.

I got out to a church run rummage sale. By the time I got there, it looked like some of the stuff was picked over. I snagged this, though for .50 as noone had tested or known where it came from...

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data.htm

It's missing the add on for the S-Video, but I'm not even sure when/if I'll use it as my cable doesn't run far enough to the comp and I'm lazy.

I dropped by a church rummage sale this morning, but didn't see anything good. I did notice a lady scanning CDs with a barcode reader attached to a pda or a smartphone. I hadn't seen that before.

I also went to a 20 family sale in a small town that wasn't to far away. I picked up a Sim Mania Pack (6 Sim games: Sim City Classic, Sim Tower, Sim Isle, Sim Safari, Streets of Sim City, and Sim Copter) and Sonic Action 4 Pack for $2. They also had a big box full of classical CDs. I didn't get any since I really haven't studied it much and don't know what are the better recordings. There are lots of classical CDs out there. I'm mainly interested in quality.

n3135s.jpg

iPod speaker - $3 (it's a little sticky but I'll clean it up, good deal for one of these)

Boxed Super Advantage
boxed Wonder Boy SMS
complete hang on and safari hunt SMS
$5 total

Big League Sports
Sonic and The Secret Rings
$9 total

Not a bad day, though I went to one sale and saw some guy hand the sale owner a 5 for a gigantic box that seemed to have like 3 N64 and 50 carts with a mess of controllers. I asked if he would sell some to me but he didn't speak english. >_>

Hey everyone! I did my first yard sale ever today, and made quite a good score I think. I also did my first ever CIF! It was pretty sweet. I don't have my camera on me at the moment, but here is a list of what I got:

NES System with 2 controllers and all cords (it's in perfect condition, no blinking issues at all!)
Games: All in literally perfect shape. Most of them look like they were opened up and stuck in a drawer and never touched until now. Donkey Kong Classics 3, Super Mario 3 (original box & instructions), Skate or Die (original box), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (original insctructions), Major League Baseball (original instructions), Duck Tales (original box & instructions), Godzilla 2 War of the Monsters (original box & instructions), Spiderman Return of the Sinister Six (original box & instructions), Zelda Gold Cart, Rampage, Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, Cobra Command. For some reason when getting past the main screen on Mario 3 & Super Mario/Duck Hunt none of the buttons on the controllers work. Help anyone?

Super Nintendo in original box with styrofoam (Starfox & Super Mario World edition), 2 controllers, and all cords. Mortal Kombat 2 (original box), Donkey Kong Country (original box), Mortal Kombat 3 (original box), Super Mario World, Starfox, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (original box & instructions, poor condition though), Super Mario All Stars, Mega Man X, Super Punch Out (original box), NBA Jam T.E., Daffy Duck the Marvin Missions, Madden 96 (original box).

Nintendo 64 with 4 controllers (3 gray, 1 blue!), all cords, and all games mint! Madden 99, Mario Golf (box & instructions), Mario Kart 64 (original box), instructions only for Starfox 64.

Here is the breakdown of the pricing before the CIF:

NES: $3
SNES: $5
N64: $10
Each Game: $1
So $45 for everything, I CIF'd $30. He had two PS2 games in the big box too (Madden 08 & GTA III). Took him about 30 seconds whether to decide to take my cash, finally gave in and said everything except the two PS2 games (fine by me), took the cash and it was a done deal. Do you guys think I did alright for my first yard sale?

panamared - Nice man! I wish to find that good a score. :D

SWAP MEET FINDS:

Bust A Move 4 (Dreamcast, complete) - $2
Sega Smashpack Volume 1 (Dreamcast, complete) - $2
Vectorman 2 (genesis, SEALED! - $2
Anyone know how to tell if genny games are official or reseal?

Silent Hill 2 (XBOX, PH, complete) - $5
It occasionally pays to look in the box of $5 XBOX games that they have every other stand.

EGM January 1995 - $0.25

MANGA:
One Piece vol. 2,3,4,5,6,7
Bleach vol. 12,13,14
Naruto vol. 2,3
Rurouni Kenshin vol. 4,5,6
Clamp School Defenders Duklyon vol. 1,2
Faeries' Landing vol. 11,12
Dragon Voice vol. 3
Battle Vixens vol. 5,6,7
Astro Boy vol. 5,6
$17 total.
This lady is there every few months or so with a bunch of random manga and some other junk. The manga are marked $1 each, but each time she comes I offer to buy all and she hooks me up. :D No idea where she gets these, and not sure which to keep and which to sell.

Hey Darkslime. I can't remember if Vectorman came in the hard plastic cases or if it was one of the later generation games that came in the cardboard boxes, but I believe it was in the original hard black plastic "VHS tape"-like boxes.

If so, to the best of my knowledge from what I remember, these were mostly sealed in a HARDER plastic shrinkwrap (as opposed to the soft thin plastic of NES and SNES factory sealed shrinkwrap) that was really tight at the time, and would probably tighten up even more over time. The seal/seam was usually directly along the line of the case opening, running around the entire case, and usually with a hole created where the tab on the top of the case would stick through.

i know a few years back a KB that closed had tons of sealed vectorman 2s that went until the last day, so it may have also happened again when KB went out of business last year. I know one KB had game for the B&W Tiger handheld (forgot the name and too lazy to go look at mine)

I also saw someone at the flea with the PDA scanner. What is that, a price tracker? Saw someone do that with DVDs and they were pulling out certain ones (mostly animated disney) after scanning.

Otherguy that would be the ill fated and piece of crap known as the GAME.com, I think you can find them pretty cheap on ebay these days. Kudos to you that you still have one.

PDA scanner? That could come in handy...

Well, this sucks. I came into the room to find my cats sitting on top of vectorman 2 clawing it. The shrinkwrap is ripped and now I have a worthless vectorman 2. >_<

That PDA scanner would come in handy, but I have a feeling that if the sellers saw me using it they would jack the prices up.

[quote name='darkslime']

That PDA scanner would come in handy, but I have a feeling that if the sellers saw me using it they would jack the prices up.[/quote]

I was thinking it would be nice to check on some stuff, but I feel you're likely right about the sellers raising prices. It would also slow me down a little.

One thing I would like to have a pda or smart phone for is having an excel or access database with all my games, books, movies, and CDs. I would like having that with me since I don't like buying duplicates. Unfortunately, the only cheap pda's I've seen are old palm ones.

[quote name='erehwon']I was thinking it would be nice to check on some stuff, but I feel you're likely right about the sellers raising prices. It would also slow me down a little.

One thing I would like to have a pda or smart phone for is having an excel or access database with all my games, books, movies, and CDs. I would like having that with me since I don't like buying duplicates. Unfortunately, the only cheap pda's I've seen are old palm ones.[/quote]

Yeah, a PDA would be nice.. also (or instead) a phone with internet, to check ebay and such while shopping around

[quote name='darkslime']Well, this sucks. I came into the room to find my cats sitting on top of vectorman 2 clawing it. The shrinkwrap is ripped and now I have a worthless vectorman 2. >_

[quote name='erehwon']I was thinking it would be nice to check on some stuff, but I feel you're likely right about the sellers raising prices. It would also slow me down a little.

One thing I would like to have a pda or smart phone for is having an excel or access database with all my games, books, movies, and CDs. I would like having that with me since I don't like buying duplicates. Unfortunately, the only cheap pda's I've seen are old palm ones.[/quote] Hmmm... I wonder if there's any way you can import an excel spreadsheet to an itouch?

Those pdas seem like they'd make flipping far too easy. I don't want tons of uneducated competition running around mindlessly scanning things and taking all the good stuff away from me. I've actually taken the time to learn what's rare and what isn't, I don't want to be outclassed by a PDA. Sigh, I sound like an old person.

I'm researching these things now. I feel like I have to get one just to stay on the cutting edge.

Doomstink... at least you can say that you are knowledgeable in the field of gaming. PDA's are cheapass cheapasses... just gunning for a profit and have no stake in the experience.

I think if I see someone scanning with a PDA at a sale I'll just punch them in the face.

[quote name='commandercody83']Doomstink... at least you can say that you are knowledgeable in the field of gaming. PDA's are cheapass cheapasses... just gunning for a profit and have no stake in the experience.

I think if I see someone scanning with a PDA at a sale I'll just punch them in the face.[/quote]

LOL, I think I'm with you on that one...

[quote name='commandercody83']
I think if I see someone scanning with a PDA at a sale I'll just punch them in the face.[/quote]
Better yet, take the games from right under their noses. They can't press charges that way.

At least they won't be able to cheat by PDAing any cart only games :D Also using a PDA to scan every UPC on a large selection of items would take up a ton of time to most likely find very little win.

bread's done
Back