Official Amazon Quick Picks FAQ - READ 1st POST

[quote name='y2jasper']ok...well i hope this is some sort of temporary maintenance or something...but i have no recommendations list anymore. it says to come back later. i checked the "improve your recommendations" and it shows i have no amazon purchases, even though i can go to my order history which still has like 4 pre orders...

this is also on both my accounts, and i am logged in...hmm[/QUOTE]
Oh wow, I was about to tell you how to work around it, but it really is fucked up. I've seen this before and to get around it you just go to 'Improve your recommendations', click on 'Items you've marked not interested', and remove anything. It's usually a bug with having nothing in your recommendations, but this time Amazon is borked.

So I'd been lurking for a couple days, doing all the suggestions and trying to get ANY games to show up without any success. All of my recommended suggestions have been games, but I keep getting non-game related stuff. For instance, today I got a pressure cooker, potato peeler, plush toy, deshedding tool, and other random crap that I've never even looked at before. I think Amazon has been playing cruel pranks on me.

Damn nothing again. I wonder if doing the fake pre-order on uncharted screwed it up, getting the 5$ credit first.

Oh gotcha, everyone has that problem now? I have nothing recommended either, didn't realize.

*Edit* Oooooh that's some bullshit. Recommendations are up, but of course my quick picks refreshed like an hour ago. Another day goes to waste.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason all of my recommendations are being based off of all the stuff i had saved for later in my cart. Which has fucked up my recommendations quite a bit. Also I cant go to my recommendations and click "dont use" or "not interested". When I do that and refresh everything is still there...lame.

[quote name='genfuyung']For some reason all of my recommendations are being based off of all the stuff i had saved for later in my cart. Which has fucked up my recommendations quite a bit. Also I cant go to my recommendations and click "dont use" or "not interested". When I do that and refresh everything is still there...lame.[/QUOTE]
It's not you, it's Amazon. I can see my recommendations now, but everything else is still MIA. Could be a couple minutes or hours before it's back up and running.

[quote name='Vortextk']*Edit* Oooooh that's some bullshit. Recommendations are up, but of course my quick picks refreshed like an hour ago. Another day goes to waste.[/QUOTE]
Wow, you have a funky schedule. Mine doesn't update until early morning.

Same here genfuyung. Came here to make sure it wasn't just my recommendations that were being incredibly stubborn.

And man, I'm wondering when they're going to put White Knight Chronicles up for pre-order, since it's supposed to come out Q1 2010 and one of the only games that comes to mind I have an interest in pre-ordering. Then again, I guess I'd just settle for the PS3 versions of Castlevania and MGS Rising.

Edit: And I wish my recommendations updated at 1 in the morning :p Maybe then I wouldn't go to bed having to wonder if my day was going to start off crappy.

Yeah, it's been constantly changing since I started paying attention. This IS different though, last time I stayed up it was like 3-4am. Originally it was like noon or a bit earlier, a month or two ago.

[quote name='Nirron']Then again, I guess I'd just settle for the PS3 versions of Castlevania and MGS Rising.[/QUOTE]
There's really no excuse for how long it's taking them. From a retailer that usually has stuff available for pre-order minutes after announcement (MW2: Prestige comes to mind), they're really starting to piss me off with this bias bullshit.

[quote name='Jodou']Wow, you have a funky schedule. Mine doesn't update until early morning.[/QUOTE]

Same here. My gold box refreshed an hour ago and has awesome things in it like printer cartridges instead of the stuff I've been trying to get to appear. Normally it refresh between 7 and 9 am.

[quote name='Jodou']There's really no excuse for how long it's taking them. From a retailer that usually has stuff available for pre-order minutes after announcement (MW2: Prestige comes to mind), they're really starting to piss me off with this bias bullshit.[/QUOTE]

The xbox fan in me wants to laugh at you. But the ps3 fan shares your problems, I want to pre-order WK: Chronicles =/

[quote name='Nirron']
Edit: And I wish my recommendations updated at 1 in the morning :p Maybe then I wouldn't go to bed having to wonder if my day was going to start off crappy.[/QUOTE]

Yes but then you go to bed dejected :cry:

[quote name='Vortextk']The xbox fan in me wants to laugh at you. But the ps3 fan shares your problems, I want to pre-order WK: Chronicles =/[/QUOTE]

I just wonder how they choose which ones they want to put up there. I would point fingers at stuff like Halo Reach and the 360 counterparts of games I mentioned earlier, but then I'd also have to point at The Last Guardian and Heavy Rain. I'm a bit lenient on Castlevania and MGS because, well, they're not even coming out until Q4 2010 at the earliest.

White Knight just somewhat annoys me because I couldn't pre-order it if I wanted to. It's rare I've actually seen an unreleased game have a product page and be unable to pre-order it, wish list it...anything.

One thing I am enjoying on Amazon is the nice box art assignments. Take Atelier Annie for instance...or should I say Drawn to Life?

Ninja additions to Recs for me. Un/luckily for me, I already had my POS refresh to my daily quick picks, so they didn't affect them. Fix your recommendations asap!

Well, not sure when mine updated last night but I did get an interesting BD pick. Ghost in the Shell 2.0, which apparently is completely remastered and has a new CGI intro and ending. I'd be intrigued if they hadn't redone the entire cast as well. Other than that, two old games not even worth mentioning.

I had GitS 2.0 added to my recommendations too. Guess that's no surprise since most people here will have the same pre-orders ordered or rated for other games.

[quote name='genfuyung']For some reason all of my recommendations are being based off of all the stuff i had saved for later in my cart. Which has fucked up my recommendations quite a bit. Also I cant go to my recommendations and click "dont use" or "not interested". When I do that and refresh everything is still there...lame.[/QUOTE]I ran into the same issue last night, and figured it was something odd with Amazon. This morning, not an issue, though my Gold Box was mostly crap.

I did spend the time this morning going through the list of "All the items you own" and marked off everything but video game items as "Don't use for recommendations", so hopefully tomorrow, it'll be good stuff again.

Same here with GitS. I'm really not sure what to do now. Today I just got a bunch of printer cartridge type stuff and Henry Hatsworth (added via ninja recommendation overnight) so I've had three days with nothing, and I've been doing the usual refreshing of stuff.

I decided to put in a few fake pre-orders for stuff, but it'd be really nice to discover the catalyst to make Dante's Inferno and Agent show up in my Quick Picks, much like Resonance of Fate seems to have done for Jodou

[quote name='Nirron']I decided to put in a few fake pre-orders for stuff, but it'd be really nice to discover the catalyst to make Dante's Inferno and Agent show up in my Quick Picks, much like Resonance of Fate seems to have done for Jodou[/QUOTE]
I think Heavy Rain is a big one for Agent and a GoW III/AC II combo for Dante. That's what I'd start with and build from there if they don't show up tomorrow.

I actually just went into video game nerd overdrive and went through both Agent and Dante's "Fix This" lists, and made a list of all the games that showed up. I've actually had Heavy Rain ordered for quite a while, same with AC2. I found a few common recommendations between the two games, so I put in a few faux pre-orders for the ones that were double dipping.

Gonna take your advice and start small though. The thought has always lingered in my mind, unfounded or not, that too many recommended titles might end up hindering my chances rather than helping. Basically I thought the phrase "Strength in numbers" might actually do the opposite over time. I'm down to four games in each "Fix This" area: Ratchet: Crack in Time, GoW3, GoW Collection, and Heavy Rain. Guess if anyone out there is trying to get those two games, there are four games that you can use to get both Dante's Infenro (PS3 version at least) and Agent in your recommendations.

I had both of those games in my recommendations for like two weeks while getting other games in my quick picks, those never showed up. Once I actually was searching for one or two more games I narrowed it down and took those out.

Dang I'm trying to catch up with this now real quick -
Much to my surprise HALO:ODST showed up, so it could get me to buy
Flip-side it doesn't save me a lot, it's $50.99, this shows $48 and change
But hey I'm in NY and get screwed for $4 so this halves it...

Issue is I'm not sure if I keep or lose the $10 Amazon credit thing
And with the 60 minute ticker I'll probably not be 100% on that soon enough
So I'll probably miss this, but if someone can leave/PM an answer much appreciated

...back to the FAQ!

edit - well the topic here suggests to me it should be accepted, but the spoiler text doesn't
Gold Box Quick Picks coupons cannot be combined with other promotions.

I'll probably take a pass then at this point, oh well

edit 2 - amusing, also had a FF tactics 2 for DS gold boxed @ about $25
meanwhile the normal price was at a discount @about $20, lmao

[quote name='CKaz']edit - well the topic here suggests to me it should be accepted, but the spoiler text doesn't
Gold Box Quick Picks coupons cannot be combined with other promotions.[/QUOTE]
This is very confusing; what exactly is supposed to be accepted?

I've never had a problem with gold box discounts. Now to be fair, I canceled most of my goldbox orders to use the stacking eca coupons. It's not like I have infinite of them, so I made 1 very large order with a lot of games, some only 5% cheaper than what it was before with eca + goldbox. But on any checkout page, e-mail, order page etc it would always show every promotion I had.

My pre-order for resonance of fate for 360(have both ordered till I decide which to keep =P )

Item(s) Subtotal: $59.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Gold Box Discount: -$3.00
Promotion Applied: -$6.00
Promotion Applied: -$6.00
Grand Total: $44.99

I've yet to actually have an item from my goldbox ship, but so far I haven't heard anyone with any problems. I think the wording is there so if it DOESN'T stack with something, that is what they can show you, but to my knowledge it works fine with everything(eca, 30$ off promos, 50% off promos, pre-order 5$ off codes like for katamari/halo/batman and 5/10$ credits after purchase)

Quick question. I can not find the box marked 'not interested'. Do I have to go to the items page to see it or should it show under my quick picks?

[quote name='slowdive21']Quick question. I can not find the box marked 'not interested'. Do I have to go to the items page to see it or should it show under my quick picks?[/QUOTE]
It will only show up on your recommendations page.

[quote name='slowdive21']Quick question. I can not find the box marked 'not interested'. Do I have to go to the items page to see it or should it show under my quick picks?[/QUOTE]

As far as getting junk in your quick picks, you can't stop that from happening really, just increase your chances of getting a few things you want in there as well.

I guess if you went to a product's page and rated it, then followed the bread crumbs back and marked "not interested" in all the things that pop up in your recommendations afterwards(say, michael jackson or beatles albums, since they're popping up like candy right now), that might work to an extent. But then you'd have to be watching your recommendations even more closely for new additions, and would have to do this for probably way too many different things.

my quick picks are showing the most random stuff, even after doing all the suggestions.... snow white dvd?!? wtffff

my recommendations have 3 things... uncharted 2, MAG, and gran turismo 5. which is perfect, i'm hoping for uncharted 2 to get into my quick pick. but i'm showing 0 games in quick picks, argh

Wow, already updated while I was at work, and no uncharted. Hm, not sure if I want to keep trying. Once kingdom hearts ships I'll just apply that credit with the halo credits if I haven't gotten it in my goldbox yet. Still wondering if grabbing the 5$ credit from it earlier screwed me up.

[quote name='Vortextk']Wow, already updated while I was at work, and no uncharted. Hm, not sure if I want to keep trying. Once kingdom hearts ships I'll just apply that credit with the halo credits if I haven't gotten it in my goldbox yet. Still wondering if grabbing the 5$ credit from it earlier screwed me up.[/QUOTE]
No update here; your Amazon account must be from the future. I doubt the credit would even factor, especially since people who have it pre-ordered are getting it in their picks again regardless. I forget what all I used to get it in my picks, but I think it was R&C, AC II, and MW2.

Guess I'll try some more fake pre-ordering. Just annoying, I mean with like 12 games pre-ordered, just give me some stuff amazon!

[quote name='Vortextk']Guess I'll try some more fake pre-ordering. Just annoying, I mean with like 12 games pre-ordered, just give me some stuff amazon![/QUOTE]
I just remembered: it wasn't MW2, it was Demon's Souls DE. GL!

Guess I'll do a bit of maintenance today. It'll also give me an idea of how many old codes I have left by putting in a few fake pre-orders.

There, ordered 4 games, 3 codes left amazingly, and uncharted shot to the top of my recommendations. Re-rated a few things too. Come on amazon!

Oh and for fun I went into each thing in my quick picks today. Two metal albums(maybe from brutal legend? :cool:), paper, ink AND printer (what a deal!), air freshner refills and coffee filters and rated everything 1/5 stars. I don't know if that will do anything in the long run, but I feel like experimenting.

Going to do that for every junk item I get from now on, see what happens.

[quote name='shrike4242']I ran into the same issue last night, and figured it was something odd with Amazon. This morning, not an issue, though my Gold Box was mostly crap.

I did spend the time this morning going through the list of "All the items you own" and marked off everything but video game items as "Don't use for recommendations", so hopefully tomorrow, it'll be good stuff again.[/QUOTE]After I did this, I only ended up with two items in my Gold Box, The Last Guardian and DDS1. :whistle2:s

Ok. I though i had the hang of this but guess not.

My "Recommended for you" section has 10 or so items that I got in there that I actually want.

For the last 2 days, My quick pick items have been random crap.

[quote name='shrike4242']After I did this, I only ended up with two items in my Gold Box, The Last Guardian and DDS1. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

I found that it seems to be random for how many items you get in your quick picks. One time I got 6 games even though the day before i only had 3 items.

[quote name='Vortextk']Oh and for fun I went into each thing in my quick picks today. Two metal albums(maybe from brutal legend? :cool:), paper, ink AND printer (what a deal!), air freshner refills and coffee filters and rated everything 1/5 stars. I don't know if that will do anything in the long run, but I feel like experimenting.

Going to do that for every junk item I get from now on, see what happens.[/QUOTE]I'd be careful with that. Remember, it doesn't really matter what you rate an item; it's the fact that you DO rate an item that will recommend stuff. The code will just look at the fact that you rated something and will make the connection to other items.

Think of it this way: you rated them 1-star, so Amazon should find you a better product of the same type.

[quote name='shrike4242']After I did this, I only ended up with two items in my Gold Box, The Last Guardian and DDS1. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]
Is that a good or bad thing?

[quote name='Jodou']
Think of it this way: you rated them 1-star, so Amazon should find you a better product of the same type.[/QUOTE]

I'm really only after uncharted right now, borderlands might be nice but I don't think it's been showing up recently anyway, so like I said it's more of a test(that I might not see results for a long time if ever). The harder decision right now for me is actually using up those last few codes. Not sure what I want to order, we'll see.

I had a bunch of crap yesterday, so I went through and cleaned up my recommendations and now it was all back to games.

:ps3: God of War Collection
:ps3: inFamous
:ps3: ModNation Racers
:psp: Gran Turismo
:wii: New Play Control! Donkey Kong Country Beat
:wii: Nintendo 2000 points card

I've had pretty decent success of returning my goldbox to games once crap starts showing up. It seems to help to go through "improve your recommendations" cleaning up any titles you want, and re-rating titles to help push certain games.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I've had pretty decent success of returning my goldbox to games once crap starts showing up. It seems to help to go through "improve your recommendations" cleaning up any titles you want, and re-rating titles to help push certain games.[/QUOTE]
The student has now become a master. ;)

I think I'm going to have to concede to Amazon and accept that Dead Rising 2, Dante's Inferno, and Agent are, for some reason or another, ineligible (on my account for some reason, at least).

I've gone fairly above and beyond to get them for over a week, and no dice. I know Jodou got the GoW Collection after quite a bit of frustration, but these games must just have some magical catalyst, hidden to the eyes of man (well to THIS man at least).

I went through and cleaned through my recommendations rather hardcore. I marked "Do Not Use" on everything but four games (AC2, GoW3, GoW Collection, Ratchet: Crack in Time) and deleted anything I didn't "own" with "Do Not Use" so that they wouldn't (and didn't) show up in my recommendations.

Right now there are three games under Recommended For You: Dante's Inferno, Dead Rising 2, and Agent, in that order. I placed a fake pre-order for GoW Collection in addition to my rating and using of the previously pre-ordered AC2 and GoW3, so I shall hope this bears fruit.

[quote name='Jodou']Is that a good or bad thing?[/QUOTE]It's bad, since it could have been five items, not two.

I think I need to go back and do some recommendations on what I have and that might help matters.

bread's done
Back