Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my 360 just took a dive. I really think Madden killed it. I've had my console for 3 months and it has only ever locked up once with Oblivion. I've got 25+ hours on Oblivion with one lockup, countless hours with GRAW and COD2, as well as a few other random games rented from Gamefly.

I get Madden today, and it's locked up at least 5 times, and now it's giving me the 3 red rings. If I let the system cool down enough I can get to the dashboard, but as soon as I pop a game in it's over. My coffin is on it's way. I'm just hoping it will stay on long enough to download Texas Hold 'Em tonight.

Madden did me in as well. Also, it did the guy in behind me that was returning his 360 at costco along with me. I wonder if there is something to the new madden that could be causing this. I've already had my new 360 that I got today freeze once from madden again but no red lights "knock on wood".

well my return box came in today, and I gave it to the UPS guy at work. anyone know if there giving up new ones or refurbs. i'm in houston and the repair center is in mcallen,tx so it shouldn't be to long before they receive it.

Ive had my xbox 360 console since the end of January this year and have enjoyed it very much. A couple of days ago I got the OXM demo with FEAR on it. I went to play it and after the game had loaded a couple of seconds into the demo my xbox 360 locks up. Then I went to restart it and I got what everyone should now know as "THE DREAD THREE LIGHT OF RED" and my console would not start. I went to the microsoft website, and of course they know of this problem, they suggest to reattach all your cables, then the usual if this doesnt solve the problem then you will need to contact us. Basically if this happens to you, sooner or later your xbox will be completely TOAST!

Of course I always buy console at or close to launch and have never had one die after 7 months of use. What makes matters worse is I only play my console a few hours during the week and 4 to 8 hours during the weekend. I dust, I make sure to keep it in a "well ventilated area". So of course when I bought the console did I think to buy the 1 year 30 dollar warranty, no because I have never had a console die on me less than 2 years. IM SO UPSET!!!!!!! WHY BECAUSE MICROSOFT CHARGES YOU 130 DOLLARS FOR THE REPAIR.

For the money I have spent on the 360 now I could have bought a ps3 easily, and had the blue ray drive as well. Anyways what a rip. Then they are like once you get your console back you can opt to buy a 1 or 2 year warranty, which I will buy, but probably never use. Which means I will have paid 190 dollars to just have a working console. Microsoft today you suck, I hate you.

[quote name='MSUnman']Ive had my xbox 360 console since the end of January this year and have enjoyed it very much. A couple of days ago I got the OXM demo with FEAR on it. I went to play it and after the game had loaded a couple of seconds into the demo my xbox 360 locks up. Then I went to restart it and I got what everyone should now know as "THE DREAD THREE LIGHT OF RED" and my console would not start. I went to the microsoft website, and of course they know of this problem, they suggest to reattach all your cables, then the usual if this doesnt solve the problem then you will need to contact us. Basically if this happens to you, sooner or later your xbox will be completely TOAST!

Of course I always buy console at or close to launch and have never had one die after 7 months of use. What makes matters worse is I only play my console a few hours during the week and 4 to 8 hours during the weekend. I dust, I make sure to keep it in a "well ventilated area". So of course when I bought the console did I think to buy the 1 year 30 dollar warranty, no because I have never had a console die on me less than 2 years. IM SO UPSET!!!!!!! WHY BECAUSE MICROSOFT CHARGES YOU 130 DOLLARS FOR THE REPAIR.

For the money I have spent on the 360 now I could have bought a ps3 easily, and had the blue ray drive as well. Anyways what a rip. Then they are like once you get your console back you can opt to buy a 1 or 2 year warranty, which I will buy, but probably never use. Which means I will have paid 190 dollars to just have a working console. Microsoft today you suck, I hate you.[/QUOTE]

The problem was well known in January, you took your chances and lost. Does it suck ass? Of course. All I can say is you should have bought the warranty to begin with.

wow, never thought it could happen to me...... But here I am and right before saints row... sucks. $129 to get it repaired... Man I wish I got the Best Buy replacement plan................... I'm getting 3/4 red lights flashing constantly. They said the Nyko intercooler might have broken it.......

0110 error

Man.... And right when Saints Row is coming out too.......

just call and get a one year warranty for 30. then call again when you need them to fix it.

I tried, they told me that it had to be within the other 90 day warranty period to purchase the 1 year warranty.

well finally finished talking to support, got the repairs for $32.25. Thanks to gkrykewy's advice. You basically have to get to a supervisor. on the Line first and explain. I'm still bummed I won't have a 360 for half a month but better than paying $129

I was playing Hold-em last night and got 3 red-lights. I figured my system was going to sjit the bed right there but I noticed it was pretty hot. I put a small circular fan on it and it seemed to run fine after a game of college football. Its weird though.....I have have only problems with one game (Full Auto) that would freeze all the time and the dashboard would freeze also. Never got any lights before last night so maybe I will be lucky and it just got hot.

Last week I bought a brand new Xbox 360 & it gave the 3 flashing lights within 24 hours. Appalled by this, I posted three videos about it on YouTube - see www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZwLQ6G83Bc

Since then, I've been flamed non-stop by Microsoft arse-lickers (mostly from my home country of Great Britain). I wonder if some of you people might view the videos and perhaps give some support.

I exchanged the knackered 360 for a new one and that's working fine at the moment, but I'm still pissed with Microsoft for shipping faulty consoles and wasting gamers' time.

Thanks,

Rob

Man my 360 sure is strange, if I leave it alone, it starts working again, but it does crash more quickly now, like in 2 minutes of use, then I get the red lights. I think it really is time to send it back.

Yea this whole thing is very aggravating. Like I stated earlier atleast with the PS2 I had 2 yrs before the disk read errors hit me. Luckily for me I bought my 360 at costco so I can always return it for free no questions asked. I will definitely be buying my ps3 there so I can have the same policy, but like many I have owned pretty much every system and never had an issue like this so more than likely I will never turn in my PS2. And I am not bashing MS, my XBOX worked perfect I just think they are messing up 360's and are afraid to admit it. They feel they can fix many things with a patch here and there and didn't build the system the right way to begin with.

yeah I really wish I bought my 360 at costco. Problem is they always have bundles and crazy stuff like that. And it's not too easy to get it there during launch

I've got a question for all of you who lost your beloved XB360's. Did you have your system standing vertically or lying horizontally? When I got my 360 last week the guy at EB urged me to buy the warantee, which I gladly did and he told me that if I set it horizontally it will greatly help to avoid problems with the system. Just curious to see if this has any truth to it or if it's just his theory about why/how the 360's die so commonly.

setting it horizontal avoids you jacking up your disc if the console ends up moving. If they console is vertical and it gets tilted, it will jack up the game disc. Otherwise with respect to heat it works either way.

I don't think vertical or horizontal matters either. I noticed most kiosk at stores such as target are set horizontal and there 360s all seem to have the 3 red lights. Then again a 360 on a kiosk is on a lot longer than most people would leave one on.

[quote name='ruffinra']I don't think vertical or horizontal matters either. I noticed most kiosk at stores such as target are set horizontal and there 360s all seem to have the 3 red lights. Then again a 360 on a kiosk is on a lot longer than most people would leave one on.[/QUOTE]

read above.... D:

[quote name='levi333']Wow, my 2nd 360 is dead it appears. First one had video problems the first day, this one seems to just not want to turn on now.
Havnt played in a week or so, never had a single problem before but this time i go to power on via the controller and nothing. Then try the power button, nothing as well. Unplugged it for about 5 minutes, plugged everything back in, still nothing which is where i am now.
That 2 bad 360s in less than 3 months. 2 more bad consoles than ive had in the last 20 years.
I used to believe the problems were exageratted, but not anymore.
By the way, my 360 has a very easy cool life. Probably less than 10 hours of use a week, sitting on a pedestal, plenty of cool breezes all around.
What a piece.

Edit- Got my coffin and sent it off yesterday (8/18). We'll see how long this takes.[/QUOTE]

Shipped my 360 off on 8/18, got it back today 8/29.
Lets see if she fires up....
Nope.
Swing and a miss. Same exact problem, no change after "repair." Called tech back and they tried to have me send it in again, but i convinced them its probably the power supply. Supposed to get a new power supply in 2-4 days.
We'll see...

I am currently on my 3rd 360 and I was playing saints row today when I lost background noise and then it froze on me. I have had this happen before on Ghost recon and a day later it died. I'm hoping this one doesn't die. The thing is everytime I send it in to get it repaired they send me a brand new one. So does anyone think this could be my hard drive or power supply? If I have to send in my hard drive I will be pissed.

[quote name='AshesofWake']does anybody here recommend getting the 60 dollar 2 year warranty that comes in the box?[/quote]

I was thinking about getting it and I never did. Then my 360 broke 4 months later, but when I called microsoft the dude asked if I registered it and I siad I didn't so he said he'd do it for me then asked when I bought it and I lied and told him a month later. So i still had it under their warranty and I've never had to pay for any of my 3 systems. It's a shitty system but microsoft's customer service has been excellent to me.

So to answer your question, buy the extended warrenty cause most likely your system will die.

damn, with labor day coming up, I guess my 360 will get a small delay getting back... Oh well at least Xenosaga 3 came out, that should kill some time.

my second 360 died on sunday :( took everything in the wallunit apart so we could paint the wall behind it. after 3 1/2 hours of plugging everything back in, i get 3 red leds..... read a guide to figure out the issue... general hardware failure.... system has no clue. tried with both the vga and component cables... nothing. i should have coffin #2 this week..... kinda bummed considering the kind of crap i'm gonna have to go through to get xbla games to work offline....

It took Microsoft three tries (and three weeks) to get the coffin into my hands. I got it on Friday, it went out today. I'm happy to hear a lot of the responses seem to imply that it takes about a week to get it back, that'd be nice, I was expecting it to take another three weeks. I'd like to actually play Dead Rising, instead of sitting next to the disk as it mocks me.

Great...my 360 died last night (lots of freezing over the past week or so, now 3 red lights of doom), and Microsoft wants $140 to fix it. fuck them, I researched my problem and found that an easy fix may solve the problem, so I'm going to try that today. I think it's ridiculous that Microsoft provides a short warranty on a product prone to defects and then charges users $140 for repairs, when it is THEIR fault and not ours. Microsoft, you suck!

My 360 started freezing recently, then I got a weird scrambled screen, now the 3 red lights of doom. :whistle2:(
Coffin should be in within the next few days. (3-5% failure rate my ass)

[quote name='Pope On A Rope']My 360 started freezing recently, then I got a weird scrambled screen, now the 3 red lights of doom. :whistle2:(
Coffin should be in within the next few days. (3-5% failure rate my ass)[/QUOTE]

I think maybe 3-5% of 360s are functional. I had the same thing you did, scrambled screen, then a few days later 3 red lights, and no warranty since M$ sucks and only gives 90 days.

I wonder if there's anything we can do regarding M$'s faulty 360s. Honestly, making their customers pay $140 to repair something that was Microsoft's fault is ridiculous. TONS of people are having problems too...I mean, when a company screws something up, they recall it and don't charge the people. The LEAST that Microsoft can do is fix my 360 for free. I'm going to take mine apart tonight and try to repair it myself, but if that doesn't work I'm just gonna have to pay the $140. fuck Microsoft.

well if you take it apart, then send it to MS, theywill refuse to fix it, even if you pay....... my 360 also died. been withough it for like a month now......

ive gotten 5 new ames and poker scince it has broken, i cant wait to get it back

I'm gonna look for that warranty card from MS and try to send it. Bought it at launch though, we'll see if it goes through. Anyone had luck sending in a late warranty request?

I think it's ridiculous that they're still not handling these faulty console concerns better. If it's still fucked up even after 90 days they should fix it gratis. This is my second console and I keep getting freezes in Saints Row and NCAA. Totally fucked up.

[quote name='nonrandomhero']well if you take it apart, then send it to MS, theywill refuse to fix it, even if you pay....... my 360 also died. been withough it for like a month now......

ive gotten 5 new ames and poker scince it has broken, i cant wait to get it back[/QUOTE]

I just got done taking it apart and replacing thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. It worked for a while, but now 3 red lights again. Now I have no idea what to do. fuck Microsoft.

[quote name='THPS']I just got done taking it apart and replacing thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. It worked for a while, but now 3 red lights again. Now I have no idea what to do. fuck Microsoft.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure you just F'd yourself in the A.

Best bet:

Buy a core, sell your worthless 360 on eBay As-Is.

[quote name='THPS']I just got done taking it apart and replacing thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. It worked for a while, but now 3 red lights again. Now I have no idea what to do. fuck Microsoft.[/quote]You didn't by chance take pics of the whole process did you? Interested to see the whole thing.

I was planning on taking pics but had problems with my camera. I'm just going to sell the system on eBay as suggested and buy a new one, but before I do so I'm going to call M$ and scream like there's no tomorrow. If anything, the repairs that I did make it work better (I was at least able to get a game of COD2 in last night before it went again), and now it runs cooler. M$ messed up and put foil on one of the heatsinks...bad idea. I feel mad for the M$ rep that's going to have to listen to me today, my arguement is going to be mostly about how the 360s are defective because of M$, not the users, and if M$ cared about their customers they would try to help. A large number of 360s have problems, I'm not sure if it's widespread enough for a recall or not, but the LEAST M$ could do is help users with problems. I will be letting M$ know that a lot of my friends are in the market to buy 360s, and I can easily talk them out of it if M$ continues to screw me over. I will also be notifying the BBB and the "Fox Five Problem Solvers" (local news station which broadcasts in the NY/NJ area, large audience), and we'll see what they say then.

I might take one more shot at fixing it myself tonight as well, if I do this time I'll take pics. I just think I shouldn't have to waste my time fixing something that I didn't break. The $140 isn't the issue, it's the principle of the thing.

[quote name='THPS']I was planning on taking pics but had problems with my camera. I'm just going to sell the system on eBay as suggested and buy a new one, but before I do so I'm going to call M$ and scream like there's no tomorrow. If anything, the repairs that I did make it work better (I was at least able to get a game of COD2 in last night before it went again), and now it runs cooler. M$ messed up and put foil on one of the heatsinks...bad idea. I feel mad for the M$ rep that's going to have to listen to me today, my arguement is going to be mostly about how the 360s are defective because of M$, not the users, and if M$ cared about their customers they would try to help. A large number of 360s have problems, I'm not sure if it's widespread enough for a recall or not, but the LEAST M$ could do is help users with problems. I will be letting M$ know that a lot of my friends are in the market to buy 360s, and I can easily talk them out of it if M$ continues to screw me over. I will also be notifying the BBB and the "Fox Five Problem Solvers" (local news station which broadcasts in the NY/NJ area, large audience), and we'll see what they say then.

I might take one more shot at fixing it myself tonight as well, if I do this time I'll take pics. I just think I shouldn't have to waste my time fixing something that I didn't break. The $140 isn't the issue, it's the principle of the thing.[/QUOTE]

Why call and bitch at someone who has nothing to do with your system failure? It's not the rep's fault that you didn't buy the warranty. These problems have been known since launch, if you didn't protect your investment, you have nobody to blame but yourself. I bought my system in June fully aware that there were issues, the first thing I did was but a warranty, because it's not a matter of if, but when it's going to fail.

[quote name='ImmortalfWd']Why call and bitch at someone who has nothing to do with your system failure? It's not the rep's fault that you didn't buy the warranty. These problems have been known since launch, if you didn't protect your investment, you have nobody to blame but yourself. I bought my system in June fully aware that there were issues, the first thing I did was but a warranty, because it's not a matter of if, but when it's going to fail.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know the reps have nothing to do with it, but I'm still gonna give it a shot. I always thought the 360s had a 1 year warranty, but I was wrong, and I guess I only have myself to blame for that. I may be overreacting in this situation, it's just that in the past 1-2 weeks so many things have broken on me (iPod, refridgerator, 360, car, computer). Thank God I bought the Applecare protection with my iPod or I would be flipping out by now. What I decided I'm going to do is sell my 360 on eBay and just buy another (this time WITH warranty). I'll take a loss but whatever, it's just money. I might not get as much for my 360 now that it is opened, but whatever. I'll probably start the auction at $100 or so, and if it doesn't sell my other plan was to go to a busy store (such as Best Buy) and destroy it in the parking lot, similar to smashmyxbox.com. It's a waste of money, I know, but it will be worth it.

I would understand the mentality of "well, it's fucked up and you didn't buy the warranty so it's your problem" if the problem wasn't so widespread. If these console problems cropped up with less occurrence and could be categorized as an isolated case, then fine.

But tons of people are having problems with it. People who have sent in for console repairs/replacements are still having problems. Just because a problem is well known doesn't justify them screwing you over by essentially adding the $140 to the console's tag price in order to have a system that works without any problems.

It's not that much to expect at least one year's worth of problem-free functionality out of a piece of hardware, let alone one that you shell out $400 + tax on. The problem with some consumers is that they take these sort of systematic and widespread problems to be the norm. Thus they say and justify that not buying a warranty leaves the purchaser to be both the loser and the idiot in the situation.

Is it alright then to sell lemons of a product that knowingly break after the initial 90 day warranty and charge an extra premium to fix it? It's well known right, so the onus should be on the purchaser to protect himself from an obviously faulty product from the get go.

At these prices, some gamers end up shelling out close to the same price that a PS3 system is going to cost at launch just to get a working console. It's just bullshit that those who are still experiencing problems for a console that hasn't even been out a year are being screwed over even more by being charged a premium to have a functioning piece of technology when we should be expecting it to work without any hassles. Mind you, I'm not expecting a console to last me 20 years without any problems, but I don't think having just one solid year of problem-free gaming is too much to ask for.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I would understand the mentality of "well, it's fucked up and you didn't buy the warranty so it's your problem" if the problem wasn't so widespread. If these console problems cropped up with less occurrence and could be categorized as an isolated case, then fine.

But tons of people are having problems with it. People who have sent in for console repairs/replacements are still having problems. Just because a problem is well known doesn't justify them screwing you over by essentially adding the $140 to the console's tag price in order to have a system that works without any problems.

It's not that much to expect at least one year's worth of problem-free functionality out of a piece of hardware, let alone one that you shell out $400 + tax on. The problem with some consumers is that they take these sort of systematic and widespread problems to be the norm. Thus they say and justify that not buying a warranty leaves the purchaser to be both the loser and the idiot in the situation.

Is it alright then to sell lemons of a product that knowingly break after the initial 90 day warranty and charge an extra premium to fix it? It's well known right, so the onus should be on the purchaser to protect himself from an obviously faulty product from the get go.

At these prices, some gamers end up shelling out close to the same price that a PS3 system is going to cost at launch just to get a working console. It's just bullshit that those who are still experiencing problems for a console that hasn't even been out a year are being screwed over even more by being charged a premium to have a functioning piece of technology when we should be expecting it to work without any hassles. Mind you, I'm not expecting a console to last me 20 years without any problems, but I don't think having just one solid year of problem-free gaming is too much to ask for.[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean, and somewhat agree. Normally I decline extended warrantys on my electronics. I guess because I bought mine 6 months after launch I kind of expected it to eventually fail, so I bought the warranty. If I had bought mine at launch, I would have declined for sure, and probably end up just as frustrated.

But onto other things, M$ received my coffin yesterday, I hope for a speedy and safe return.

Well looks like I'm going to become a member of this thread unfortunately. I turned on my 360 yesterday and it was fuzzy and nothing worked. How long does this process take on average to get a working 360 back?

just got the rings

Question as I look for the answer, how can I not lose my game saves and crap once this thing dies?

[quote name='-BigC-']just got the rings

Question as I look for the answer, how can I not lose my game saves and crap once this thing dies?[/QUOTE]
Keep your HDD.

wow, I love how tons of people didn't even bother to read my previous post and start instantly bitching about repairs costing $140. Anyone complaining about the price, I suggest you backtrack.

Either way MS should have warrantied these products for at least a year in all good faith. You would think a product costing $400 would last at least a year ;).

wow, just got off the phone trying to figure out where my coffin is (was supposed to be here today the layesy) and figured i'd ask what the turn around time was... techs answer...... 3 weeks! so 1 month with no 360? that is assinine! 2nd dead 360 and i have to wait 1 month to play it again... that royally sucks!

oh well..... i guess i can just call and complain every day after they recieve it

Oh no, may be joining the club soon. Three Ring'd earlier, unplugged everything for a few minutes, and now its at least booting up now. *Prays* *knock on wood*

Edit: Great, it broke...

Edit2: Eh, maybe Ishould see if anyone knows if this is somehow fixable:
So, I was playing COD2 online, and it froze, which is weird, because it has NEVER froze on me despite the fact that my console only sounds like a vacuum when I play that game, not others. Anyways, so I turn it off via the button on the console, and press it again to turn it back on. While it does that spinning logo bootup, it freezes, and a blueish, pixelated bar runs about 1/4 down fro mthe top of the screen. Turn it off again, turn it back on again, same deal. Hey, third times the charm I figure, but this time, it doesn't even boot up, and I get the three magical lights. Unplugg everything for about 5 minutes, boot it back up, tryout COD again, it freezes. Turn it off/on, the rings come back. So, pretty much time to invest in a coffin?

I don't mind the $140 charge, that is understandable since they're already taking a loss on the consoles and it takes time and money for them to be sending out new ones. The thing I was mad about was the fact that M$ made a defective product, slapped a 90 day warranty on it, and is making us shell out more money. I just got a new one, so I'm not really mad anymore, it's not the money, just the principle of the thing. When I took the console apart I could see how their foil they put under the heatsink fried my GPU, and their thermal paste job was horrible, which is causing overheating problems in many consoles. I've also heard of people who have had motherboards that weren't soldered correctly. It was a rushed product which resulted in these errors. These problems are widespread but M$ just doesn't seem to care. At least now I know that the warranty is only 90 and not a year like I thought, I will be sending in my 2 year warranty form for my new console tomorrow.

I also called up again and yelled at a rep, his job is just a rep and isn't the one causing all these problems, but yelling made me feel better. I told him about how I took apart my console and found these errors they made, he simply told me that he never took apart an Xbox and didn't know what I was talking about, then he continued to tell me about how they discourage taking apart consoles and yada yada...I told him I don't like M$ and how they are ripping off people and how I will not be recommending M$ products in the future, I probably shouldn't have put that poor rep through all that, but oh well.

Then again, if I were M$ I wouldn't want to be fixing all these consoles for free either and taking even more of a loss. Sure they have a ton of money to begin with, but still. These problems are their fault and all, but when you put yourself if M$'s shoes, you start to see why they are charging what they are and all that. Money changes everything.

i really need some help and advice...

just today i got my new xbox 360 from overstock.com
i hooked up the power adapter saw the orange light so it should be working and hooked up the HD cords to my tv. i assume like any other system i just press the power or on button, but nothing happens. no noise or light at all. now tried it probably 10 times reconnecting everything, yet no power. do i have to press some additional button to get it to work or something? only thing i got to work was the wireless controller after putting in batteries. anyone have ths issue with no power and no turning on? could it be a faulty power adapter, but it sohuld be working since its orange light is on. could i have been sent a faulty 360 ystem? like i said its a new xobox 360 system, so have n clue why it wont power up. thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back