Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My launch 360 finally died, lasted a good while though. I'm still convinced that if my brother who takes horrible care of consoles, didn't share it with me, it would be just fine. Anyway I just sent it in today.

Here's my story:

I got my 360 at launch (manufactured in August 05) and never had a problem. Once I had one red light, but after I reinserted my memory card, the light never came back.

Last week I helped my brother find a 360 on Craig’s list. A premium version, the guy came over, we hooked it up, played, no problems. My brother played for several hours for several days and yesterday got the 3 blinking red lights. I've been on hold with M$ for hours at a time and haven't been able to get through yet.

Here's my question. Does the new 3-year warranty cover his console since he bought it from someone and not from a store? The console was manufactured in May of 2006.

[quote name='dahermitt']Here's my story:

I got my 360 at launch (manufactured in August 05) and never had a problem. Once I had one red light, but after I reinserted my memory card, the light never came back.

Last week I helped my brother find a 360 on Craig’s list. A premium version, the guy came over, we hooked it up, played, no problems. My brother played for several hours for several days and yesterday got the 3 blinking red lights. I've been on hold with M$ for hours at a time and haven't been able to get through yet.

Here's my question. Does the new 3-year warranty cover his console since he bought it from someone and not from a store? The console was manufactured in May of 2006.[/quote]

As long is it hasn't been registered by the other guy, you should be good as far as the warranty goes. It will go from the build date on the back of the console.

Did you pop off the face-plate to make sure the seal wasn't broken? Seems like the guy may have done a quick fix, and if the seal was broken, warranty will be voided.

[quote name='dahermitt']Here's my story:

Here's my question. Does the new 3-year warranty cover his console since he bought it from someone and not from a store? The console was manufactured in May of 2006.[/QUOTE]

i bought mine from a friend of a friend who had registered it, i had to give him name address and phone number, and then they transferred the warranty to me.

[quote name='sp00ge']As long is it hasn't been registered by the other guy, you should be good as far as the warranty goes. It will go from the build date on the back of the console.

Did you pop off the face-plate to make sure the seal wasn't broken? Seems like the guy may have done a quick fix, and if the seal was broken, warranty will be voided.[/quote]

The towel trick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QobC5rlxjpw

Thats why I would never buy a second hand 360.

[quote name='sp00ge']Or the heat gun trick, which requires opening the console.[/quote]

Which is stupid and voids your warranty i believe. My friend has gotten his 360 to work thanks to the towel trick for about 2 weeks now. He'll be sending it in soon though.

[quote name='SynGamer']Which is stupid and voids your warranty i believe. My friend has gotten his 360 to work thanks to the towel trick for about 2 weeks now. He'll be sending it in soon though.[/quote]

That's my point. If you're going to buy a used console from somebody, make sure to remove the faceplate to make sure the 360 hasn't been tampered with.

Any way to get a refund on my CRACKED fifa 07?

And this techno music is umm...interesting, to say the least. 3rd time I tried to call and Ive been on hold forever...

Damn I was hoping to never have to post in here, but I just got my 3 rings.

Question for people that got thiers at costco. I called them up and they said to bring in everything. Problem is i dont have the pgr3 anymore, also i dont want to have to give up all my game saves. Is thier any way around this?

If I do get a new one with new hard drive, do i keep my gamerscore? And I guess all my paid for d/l content i can re-d/L?

Buy a cheap copy of PGR3, maybe used. Games saves can be obtain by looking up your account. Yes, you'll have to download all those paid D/L content again, won't cost you anything.

I'm a new member of this club. My 14 month old 360 just died last night when I went to go play Harry Potter. :(. Oh well, at least they just extended the warranty and I have my other systems to help get me through this tough time.

My system just died today. This is a replacement system that was sent from MS because the first one died also. 6 months later and now this one. This is ridiculous.

MS recieved my console for repair yesterday and tody they sent me an e-mail saying that it will take 4 to 6 weeks to repair. So much for a quik turn around.

Yeah mine took about 33 days from waiting for the coffin to the console coming back from repair. I just got it back today.

I believe I got a repaired unit because I can see the new heatsink through the grill. It also came with a new face plate and a month of free live.

I finally called tonight to get an update and ended up on hold for an hour and a half! Finally I got some Indian guy that I could sort of understand. He said that my unit was flagged as priority, since it was a replacement they sent me that was broken when I received it. I should hopefully have it by the weekend or the beginning of next week. *fingers crossed*

[quote name='sp00ge']I finally called tonight to get an update and ended up on hold for an hour and a half! Finally I got some Indian guy that I could sort of understand. He said that my unit was flagged as priority, since it was a replacement they sent me that was broken when I received it. I should hopefully have it by the weekend or the beginning of next week. *fingers crossed*[/quote]

Hey! No cutting in line!

[quote name='ncibob']MS recieved my console for repair yesterday and tody they sent me an e-mail saying that it will take 4 to 6 weeks to repair. So much for a quik turn around.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's a race. I think mine arrived Monday, and I got the e-mail Tuesday or so. We'll see how long this takes. This is my THIRD time, and they said they would take "special" care of me. Sounds like I have the same treatment as everyone else.

My friend got "upgraded" to an Elite and a year of Live for his third repair. We'll see when they actually ship his system back to him!

Oh and my 360 just died too (DVD drive), coffin should be coming in today :(

[quote name='armycamel']My friend got "upgraded" to an Elite and a year of Live for his third repair. We'll see when they actually ship his system back to him!

Oh and my 360 just died too (DVD drive), coffin should be coming in today :([/QUOTE]

Whoa...how did he pull that off, I'm in the same "3rd repair boat" as him, and I would LOVE the Elite.

He said when he called them in for his repair, he asked what they could do to compensate him for his third repair, that's when they offered him the Elite.

I believe him but still a bit skeptical!

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Hey! No cutting in line![/quote]

I waited in line already, then they sent me a broken unit. So nyah! :razz:

I just had my bi-daily call from the lady who is taking "special" care of me. She said there is NO priority in how they fix consoles, even if I was told I would be taken care of.

Also, no REFUND on my service warranty I purchased through MS.

NO Elite upgrade either. So, I think the one person may be BS.

Doubledown, has your lady over at MS mentioned that they are actually fixing our consoles or are they sending out refurbs. I was wondering if the 4 to 6 week wait was due ours actually getting repaird and the new heat sink installed into it.

[quote name='ncibob']Doubledown, has your lady over at MS mentioned that they are actually fixing our consoles or are they sending out refurbs. I was wondering if the 4 to 6 week wait was due ours actually getting repaird and the new heat sink installed into it.[/QUOTE]

She knew nothing about that....she denied anything.

I said will "MS be fixing these, or will I just get a console back that I'll have to send in a 6 months again?"

She said, "Well, that is why you have the extended warranty to cover this problem"

So, she basically said screw you....nice customer service. I'm glad I'm treated "special". She said, I don't know who promised you would be "taken special care of", but we don't do that. Total B.S.

I'm still debating to get an Elite and sell my Premium on EBAY. I could probably break even after credit via GameRush.

Just figures, they just made Morrowind BC so I buy it off Half.com for $9. Then my 360 breaks and the day Morrowind GOTY arrives (today), I had to send off the 360. I also planned on purchasing Bomberman Live but that will have to wait too. I guess I will just have to play the Wii (more than likely gamecube games).

Yeah, this is actually making me like my PS3 more and more each day. I was going to buy NCAA 08 for the PS3, but the whole 30v60 fps is a deal-breaker. Although, I'm still tempted....then I would get Madden for PS3, and it would be a loss of revenue for MS (If they make any money on 3rd party software).

[quote name='doubledown']Yeah, this is actually making me like my PS3 more and more each day. I was going to buy NCAA 08 for the PS3, but the whole 30v60 fps is a deal-breaker. Although, I'm still tempted....then I would get Madden for PS3, and it would be a loss of revenue for MS (If they make any money on 3rd party software).[/QUOTE]
Same exact thing happened with me. I mentioned somewhere in the forum before, but I switched all my multiplatform preorders to the PS3 version. Why should I take of the risk of not being able to play my games for a month because my console may crap out again at any time?

I agree. If I get sent one more bad unit, I'm done with MS. I'll get it repaired one last time and sell it and all 37 games, 4 wireless controllers, etc etc... on ebay or CL.

I never thought I'd see the day my POS PC would be more reliable.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Same exact thing happened with me. I mentioned somewhere in the forum before, but I switched all my multiplatform preorders to the PS3 version. Why should I take of the risk of not being able to play my games for a month because my console may crap out again at any time?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm very tempted as I want to play now, but the frame rate on NCAA is holding me back. Plus, I do like the 360 controller better and more friends own a 360, but I'm just annoyed...4-6 week wait.

[quote name='shnizzle66']Call me a n00b or w/e but once I send in my 360, everything on my harddrive is unusable, right?[/QUOTE]
Wrong. Though if they ship you back a different console, and don't remember to switch the serial number that's registered to you, then you'll need to be connected to Live to use some downloadable content.

[quote name='shnizzle66']Call me a n00b or w/e but once I send in my 360, everything on my harddrive is unusable, right?[/QUOTE]

they told me to ship w/o the hard drive

[quote name='LiveCrazy_Joe']Yeah mine took about 33 days from waiting for the coffin to the console coming back from repair. I just got it back today.

I believe I got a repaired unit because I can see the new heatsink through the grill. It also came with a new face plate and a month of free live.[/quote]

Can you tell me what to look for to see if I had a new heat sink put into my repaired 360? I'd like to look through the grill (which side?) and see if I might be able to rest a little easier. I don't know what it looked like before so if there is anything you can tell me to look for as a clue I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

After several days of not getting through, I finally waited on hold last night until someone answered. At approximately the hour mark, someone answered. I got the console transferred into my brother’s name (I helped my brother purchase a used console from CL) and they are sending us a prepaid box for the 3 flashing red lights. After seeing several other people get free games, etc, I asked to speak with a supervisor. I stayed on hold for another 20 minutes and talked with a supervisor. I went on with my sob story and she offered me a free game. I was hoping to squeeze a 120gb HD out of her (I set high goals for myself) so I continued with my story and how “just a free game would not make my experience better”. She asked, “What can I provide you with that would make you satisfied with Microsoft?” I answered timidly, “Is there any way you could give me a 120gb HD?” I swear to god, she laughed for 15 seconds straight and advised that she only had the power to give out one of 4 games (pgr3, piñata, Xbox live arcade unplugged, and kameo). I settled with pgr3 and she advised that it would ship and arrive within 2 weeks. The expected return of the new console would be 4-6 weeks.

I also asked the supervisor if the 3 flashing red lights would be fixed so the replacement console wouldn’t experience it. She gave me a generic answer of “Microsoft is researching the issue thoroughly.” She could not assure me that the replacement would not get the 3 flashing lights!!!!

Nice try on the 120gb hd. You never know until you try!

I pan on getting a free copy of Kameo whenever my current system dies. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

my dvd drive is messing up or sumthing...when ever i go to the dashboard and the disc slows down, it make a weird grind noise...my discs are getting scratched

My 360 is now making an extremely odd humming noise I've never heard. Greaaaat..if it's going to die, I hope it's before the 30-day gamestop warranty is over so I don't have to deal with MS.

Anyone know if "Device Received at Service Center" means they are fixing it or does it mean its just sitting at the service center doing nothing..?

Where do you go to find updates on where your console is in the process like "received at service center." Do you go to a specific website and enter your refrence number? Or do you get emails with the status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back