2. Collector's Edition Games - January to March
  3. Collector's Edition Games - April to June
  4. Collector's Edition Games - July to September
  5. Collector's Edition Games - October to December
  6. Collector Edition Games - TBA to 2021
  7. Extra Space

Deals: (Updated 12/20/19)

FAQ: 
  • What is this thread? A massive collection of limited edition games & other attributing items, included with links. 
  • Why put it all in one thread? More traffic due to collaborating interests.
  • Why is that important? This keeps the thread popular and doesn't risk a failed CE from falling through the cracks unnoticed. 
  • What can be discussed here? Anything relevant to what is posted.
  • Why make another CE compilation? Karma. 
  • Where are the big pictures? Still here, scroll down. Due to the increased number of CEs, a preface post is needed. 
  • When is the Final Fantasy VII CE? Not announced. Granted, IF it does, you can bet I will devote an entire page to it. 
  • What about other CEs that have been announced? Give me a minute. It takes a bit of time to format the title, price, date, & retailer links in correctly.
  • What about the Book/Steelbook/Console/Misc. Picture Posts? I condensed the thread. Not necessary to include pictures for all those items. They will still be included in the Everything List post.

Graveyard: 
Old Official Collector's Edition Compilations

X - 2019

IX - 2018

VIII - 2017 & 2018

VII - 2017

VI - 2016 & 2017

V - 2016

IV - 2015 & 2016

III - 2014 & 2015

II - 2013 & 2014

I - 2011, 2012, & 2013

Legend: 
  • (OOS) = Out of Stock
  • CE = Collector's Edition Game
  • LE = Limited Edition
  • BK = Strategy Guide, Art Book, and/or Lore Book
  • SB = Steelbook
  • CC = Console and/or Controller
  • MC = Miscellaneous
  • Anything linked means it exists. If not it hasn't been announced yet.

Major Retailers: 
Patch Notes: (Updated 12/27/19)
12/27/19 - Version 1.1

• Added:
  • [CE] Watch Dogs: Legion: [Ubisoft]
  • Deals:
  • Fixed:
  • Updated: 

12/20/19 - Version 1.0

• Added:
  • Official Collector's Edition Compilation XI - 2020
  • Deals:
  • Fixed:
  • Updated: 

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, who tf is going to store 24 games into this thing in the first place. It's purely for collection purposes; the guy is not bringing the sb along in lieu of an actual storage case.
Why not? That's what I would do. I have three of those Nintendo branded DS/3DS cases that hold 18 games each and take them everywhere I go when I travel. Granted they aren't SteelBook like this one, but the utility of carrying 18 Switch games in one case (that looks this good) is great.

It's true, I saw a pair of these in the store yesterday. While these steelbooks have some nice debossing, they are all scratched up and in pretty poor condition as new. I'm also getting tired of all these Switch steelbooks with no titles on their spines.
You can probably forgive this case not having a title on the spine.

Mine came packaged at BestBuy. Saw a stack of 6 of them this way.
f46d0ecaec7196f300bd7699a307e6ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

It's a nice way to carry 20+ games if you need to but that's a huge amount of $$ gone if it were to get lost or jacked.

It's a nice way to carry 20+ games if you need to but that's a huge amount of $$ gone if it were to get lost or jacked.
Same for my aforementioned DS/3DS cases, or a binder of disc games. It's not a new single point of failure.

Why not? That's what I would do. I have three of those Nintendo branded DS/3DS cases that hold 18 games each and take them everywhere I go when I travel. Granted they aren't SteelBook like this one, but the utility of carrying 18 Switch games in one case (that looks this good) is great.

You can probably forgive this case not having a title on the spine.
To my point, why is it an issue if it's scratched up if you're bringing it around? Because odds are, you won't be carrying it around as an actual case, you'll display it; and if you're displaying it, probably not storing cartridges in all 24 slots anyway.

It’s definitely not optimized for travel. Much more useful and cheaper options out there. This is a collectors item. It’s best use would be to open it up on a shelf and stick some cartridges in it for display purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To my point, why is it an issue if it's scratched up if you're bringing it around? Because odds are, you won't be carrying it around as an actual case, you'll display it; and if you're displaying it, probably not storing cartridges in all 24 slots anyway.
If you're throwing it in your car floor, or carrying it in your pocket with your keys or phone, sure it can get some dings and scratches. When I travel with my gaming gear, it is all secure in a backpack with little to no wiggle room. I don't mind if it gets scratched (one of them already is), but I certainly don't expect it to get destroyed or even damaged because of its intended use.

It’s definitely not optimized for travel. Much more useful and cheaper options out there. This is a collectors item. It’s best use would be to open it up on a shelf and stick some cartridges in it for display purposes.
For the $20 that it originally cost, which is what I paid, or free if you took advantage of the promotion, I think it's a good price for a condensed cartridge case and is ideal for travel. As I mentioned above, it won't get damaged or destroyed with my normal use and will fit the bill when I have 2+ games I want to carry with me.

Plus, I don't think they intended for it to be a display item when they put padding in it to carry up to 24 games. ;-)

That being said, you do you and I'll do me. I just feel fortunate to have gotten these at all.

Saw this in CAG twitter, thought I'd post the picture here for the steelbook collectors. Comes free when you pre-order Resident Evil 3 remake at best buy.
d7cf5d60422cb92e62fd99eadbb6f39b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

Zombie Army 4 is also offering a free steelbook with purchase at BB.  Not able to link right now but the steelbook looks nice.

I got the Life is Strange 2 CE and the game comes separate from the contents.

This seems to be way more commonplace anymore than it was even a year or two ago. They aren't even trying, they're just producing a box of "stuff" and tossing the game in with the contents.

Code Vein was like that. FFVII is gonna be like that. KH3 was like that.

It seems to be more common with Publisher store exclusives.

Well at least they made that clear on the listing:

• SOFT-BUNDLED: YOUR SHIPMENT WILL ARRIVE WITH A COPY OF THE STANDARD EDITION + SEPARATE VINYL BUNDLE IN PRESENTATION BOX.
  • Please note, this is a soft bundle.  The Life is Strange 2 Collector's Edition contents are bundled separately.

Did they not make a Life is Strange 2 limited edition similar to the first game and prequel? I really liked those sets. The game, soundtrack (on CD), and book are all I need from these things.

Guessing it’s $10 and if you return just the game, u won’t get full refund
$20 for now but I've been gaming this for years now and it always works out free. Just order a copy and have the steelbook shipped with the game for store pickup (or vice-versa, doesn't matter). Make sure you pick the game up and then return it on another trip. Unless they're some BB crusader that's aware of the free steelbook and gives you hassle (which I've run into once or twice now), it will return for full refund and no mention of the steelbook. I did this with the RE2 steel and finally repurchased the game when it hit $15 on BF. Will do the exact same with RE3 since no fucking way I'm paying full price for remasters lol.

$20 for now but I've been gaming this for years now and it always works out free. Just order a copy and have the steelbook shipped with the game for store pickup (or vice-versa, doesn't matter). Make sure you pick the game up and then return it on another trip. Unless they're some BB crusader that's aware of the free steelbook and gives you hassle (which I've run into once or twice now), it will return for full refund and no mention of the steelbook. I did this with the RE2 steel and finally repurchased the game when it hit $15 on BF. Will do the exact same with RE3 since no fucking way I'm paying full price for remasters lol.
So it basically works only with store pickup? Cuz of the huge paper receipt they give you which doesn’t show the price of the steelbook or something? Though I think the receipt shows the total items picked up

Did they not make a Life is Strange 2 limited edition similar to the first game and prequel? I really liked those sets. The game, soundtrack (on CD), and book are all I need from these things.
I don't know if SE ever sold a enix exclusive edition but the LE of Life is strange 1 is in one box with all the contents. I got the life is strange before the storm LE exclusive from SE store and the LE itself is about the same size as the Life is strange 1 LE but the vinyl box is slightly smaller than the life is strange 2 exclusive square enix box. It comes with a standard copy of life is strange 2.

I was really hoping to see a Switch Lite LE for Animal Crossing, might cave and get a second switch now though

I was really hoping to see a Switch Lite LE for Animal Crossing, might cave and get a second switch now though
That's why the switch sells so well.

It's why the 3ds sold so well the past 6 years despite no real games for it. I know a lot of people who will buy the exact same system multiple times just because it has a new paint job on it. Nintendo released it and spent 3 to 5 years just re releasing it with a new theme paint job and a digital game included and people kept buy it. They would do this a dozen times and once people got tired of it they would then give the system a slight upgrade and start the whole process again.

That's why we won't see a new switch for a year or two because they will just milk the existing one with new color schemes till people stop buying. Then they will do a minor upgrade and do it again. I know many people who rebought a switch just for a minor battery upgrade and now want to buy it again for a paint job.

I bet for every 1 million switches sold only about 35% of them are from new switch owners. I bet the majority of them are from people buying another one.

"minor battery upgrade"

Going from 3 hours to 6 is minor. Sure its double the length but doubling a small number is still a small number. Minor is in it worth rebuying the entire system for? Nope. But people will willingly do it anyway because its nintendo and they will rebuy an entire nintendo system just for a paint job, or a small upgrade. But there is a saying about fools and their money for a reason.

I don’t have a Switch yet but I’ll probably get that Animal Crossing one.  Hopefully it shows up on Amazon soon for pre-orders.

I'm curious to ask why? The 'switch' lite in my eyes is a friggin' joke. The entire point of the switch's existence is to... SWITCH. Making a 'lite' version is asinine, it should have just been called something entirely different.

I must one of the few that never cared for Animal Crossing or Pokemon at all. Two huge Nintendo franchises I could not give less damn about.
I remember spending countless hours on Animal Crossing for gamecube, and an what feels like an infinite amount on the 3DS version. I loved the series so much I got the toys r us exclusive 3DS XL edition. I'm afraid though now that I'm a decent amount older from when I used to play that type of game, I just don't have the time to sit and 'waste' it on that style of gameplay nowadays.

So it basically works only with store pickup? Cuz of the huge paper receipt they give you which doesn’t show the price of the steelbook or something? Though I think the receipt shows the total items picked up
It's because they get treated as separate transactions at that point, or at least that's my best guess. The receipt for the game mentions nothing of the SB and vice-versa so there's no paper trail.

All the stuff for re3 steelbook is too complicated. Just but it on their site and choose to ship the steelbook and store pickup the game at a store you don’t go to.

All the stuff for re3 steelbook is too complicated. Just but it on their site and choose to ship the steelbook and store pickup the game at a store you don’t go to.

Anyone order the Lego Steelbook from Best Buy.com for delivery? I was wondering if it comes in better condition that way. I checked the stock at two Best Buy stores and all the ones they had were scratched pretty badly.

Anyone order the Lego Steelbook from Best Buy.com for delivery? I was wondering if it comes in better condition that way. I checked the stock at two Best Buy stores and all the ones they had were scratched pretty badly.
I got mine delivered and it wasn't much better. At least it wasn't dented...

Mine came on Friday and honestly it's in really good condition. I was pleasantly surprised!

Ditto. Mine arrived in good condition. I paid $30 straight up, though, since I missed it at $20 and the game prices were high.

Last of Us II Ellie Edition is up at BBY and I was able to get an order in.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-last-of-us-part-ii-ellie-edition-playstation-4/6352227.p?skuId=6352227

I've tried and failed like 50 times but it seems like it's staying up for more than a few seconds this time.
I'm happy with the CE. $60 extra for a backpack and record that I won't use just isn't something I want to spend.

As for Pokemon and Animal crossing, Pokemon is ok until the story gets cryptic and you spend hours getting through random encounters to find an ID badge with no direction or something stupid makes me lose interest. Animal Crossing is OK for a bit, but can get boring after a while. I need a story or direction in my games.

That console is nice though.

Annnd its gone!!! They must've canceled some bot orders
Hopefully. I've had browser notifications and text notifications and cannot count the number of times I missed it even in the middle of the night/super early morning. So happy I got one in.

Also happy it got delayed so I have more time to prepare my wallet for the pain.

Saw this in CAG twitter, thought I'd post the picture here for the steelbook collectors. Comes free when you pre-order Resident Evil 3 remake at best buy.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk
One thing I've wondered on things like this, I preordered my RE3 standard on BB when it first was announced and I just checked my order details and the free steelbook is NOT included. So to be safe I cancelled and reordered, but I wonder if I would have just left it if they would have automagically added it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back