Official "Donate Games to the Troops in Iraq" Thread

[quote name='dark_jc']I registerd for these forums just to reply to this thread. I found this site off www.digg.com (sorry CAG lol).[/quote]

Awesome, 1000+ Diggs and counting, and CheapyD posted the thread to the front page.

And I noticed only neushane and Wombat got all the credit :whistle2:# Shenanigans, sir, Shenanigans.

~HotShotX

[quote name='pinebarrens']I sent 18 PS2 games to you via priority mail about a week ago. The guy at the PO said that it takes 1-1.5 weeks to get to Iraq. How about posting some pics when you get them? Thanks![/quote]

It all depends where you are in iraq. Bigger bases would get them faster. My packages usually took like 2-3 weeks. :bomb:

Here is my plan for the first batch:

:ps3:Uncharted
:360:Lego Star Wars Orignal Trilogy
:360:Prey
:360:The Darkness
:360:Burnout Revenge
:360:King Kong
:360:Need for Speed Carbon
:360:Kameo

I have a bunch more, but I think these are the best of the bunch and I'm expecting shipping to cost a shitload!

wsbsupport2qr1.jpg

Games are on the way, first thing tomorrow morning!

:ds: Cooking Mama
:ds: Metroid Pinball
:ds: Meteos
:ps2: Beyond Good And Evil
:ps2: Dynasty Warriors 5: Xtreme Legends
:ps2: WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2006
:ps2: Samurai Legend Musashi

Like a few others mentioned, can we donate consoles?

I'd like to donate my 360 with Dead Rising (the only game I own).

Is there a deadline for this or anything of the sort? I've got a few games I'd like to send and I could probably try and collect some around my campus and send off a huge lot at once.

Also, can we donate controllers? Since getting a PS3 and selling my PS2, I've got a few PS2 controllers just sitting around.

What about DVD movies? Since all the consoles play those.

[quote name='n64ra']neushane, i've got $250 to spend on ya'll. anything in particular you want? controllers? mass effect? gears of war? halo3? resistence? ratchet and clank? super mario galaxy? super smash bros brawl (next month)? or a hell of a lot of xbox, ps2, and gc games?[/quote]

Shit that is very generous of you. I know that the Battalion does not have Gears because they always borrow mine or I go play with them on Sundays. I would have games like Gears, Halo3 and COD4 are must haves for them. I know they have COD4 and it gets alot of play time over there. All they have is one Xbox 360 for 250 guys. I am giving them the Rock Band Bundle I received from GameStop because they are more structured for permanent gaming and it looks like the stuff is going to stay here instead of going home with someone. Please use your best judgement and thank you for whatever you can contribute.

On a side note, our internet went down and I dont know what happened but this thread blew up (Hotshotx, you do get much love!) Glad to read everyone's responses and questions. I will get them answered as soon as I can get some free time (in a few hours).

Cheapy, ship them to Wombat and then have him send them over. I am sure it wont cost you as much since Wombat will get to utiliza the FPO address.

(Sorry Wombat for increasing your workload...lol)

[quote name='n64ra']i'm wondering if they need consoles?[/quote]
To answer a few questions since I have some time now:

I have not seen a Dreamcast out here which is a shame because it was my favorite console.

If I was to receive a console I NEED to make sure it goes to some place where it gets checked in and out from an MWR like the donations I made to the Seabee Battalion. They have the Xbox 360 and 4 controllers but to play it you need to go to the office and check out the controllers. The console stays by the TV. I will kindly accept consoles as long as I can find places organized to care for and monitor it.

I received large donations from pinebarrens and DesertEagleXIX. I got your packages yesterday, just did not have time to post or upload anything.

PINEBARRENS
-Tony Hawk’s Underground 2 (PS2)
-Star Wars Battlefront (PS2)
-Soul Calibur 2 (PS2)
-Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)
-Area-51 (PS2)
-Viewtiful Joe (PS2)
-Devil May Cry 4 (PS2)
-Manhunt (PS2)
-Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)
-Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (PS2)
-007 – From Russia With Love (PS2)
-Gun (PS2)
-Super Trucks Racing (PS2)
-Tiger Woods 2005 (PS2)
-Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (PS2)
-Total Overdose (PS2)
-Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2)
-Call of Duty: Finest Hour (PS2)

DESERTEAGLEXIX:
-Winning Eleven 7 (PS2)
-Art of Fighting Anthology (PS2)
-Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
-Spellforce 2 (PC)
-Half-Life 2 (PC)
-Tiger Woods ’06 (PC)
-Max Payne 2 (Xbox)
-Max Payne (Xbox)
-Madden 2005 (Xbox)

Here is a pic of both your donations, well as many as I could fit:
1560047_1001072.JPG.html
http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php/1560047_1001072.JPG.html

Thank you again, they are going to get shipped up to a fellow CAG, ninjalunchbox, along with some other games (40 total)

Here is a pic of the Rock Band Bundle I received from GameStop in Grapevine, Texas next to my hoopdee (dont laugh, it goes 50mph:hot:)
http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php/1560061_1001073.JPG.html

P.S. - If there is a better/perferred way to host or link to images let me know. I have just been doing it like this (as links) because it is easier with the crappy connection we have.
1560061_1001073.JPG.html

I'm working on a large donation right now. I have 10 games currently from a private collection. Also collecting money and games at work. They're doing a 50/50 raffle here and I'm expecting a good amount from that. Without the raffle, currently sitting at $100 donated. All money will be spent Friday at Gamestop on more games. Also my father is going to use his business to cover all shipping costs to get the games to you. I'll pm you when games are mailed off, which should be next week.

Damn this thread has really blown up. :) I'll try compiling a list of everything that's been donated thus far later today.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']Damn this thread has really blown up. :) I'll try compiling a list of everything that's been donated thus far later today.

~HotShotX[/quote]
Too late HotShotx. I have been keeping track for future considerations:

CAG DONATIONS

HotShotX:
-James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (GC)
-Metroid Prime (GC)
-NBA street (GC)
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (GC)
-True Crime: Streets of LA (GC)
-Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Wii)
-Madden 2002 (GC)
-Tony Hawk’s Underground (GC)
-The Simpsons Hit & Run (GC)
-The Lord of the Rings – The Return of the King (GC)
-Prince of Persia – The Sand of Time (GC)
-Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4 (GC)

Anonymous:
- Mass Effect (brand new & sealed) (Xbox 360)
- Metal Slug Anthology (brand new & sealed) (PS2)
- Soul Calibur 2 (Xbox)

Wombat:
-Virtua Tennis 3 (Xbox 360)
-Saint’s Row (Xbox 360)
-Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Xbox 360)

Briansraregames:
-Rainbow Six: Vegas (Xbox 360)

Thorbahn3:
-Puffy Amiyumi Kaznapped (GB Advance)
-Spy Hunter / Super Sprint (GB Advance)
-Duel Masters Kaijudo Showdown (GB Advance)
-Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (PS2)

Izzard Lizard:
-PS2:
-Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
-NCAA Marsh Madness 2005
-Power Drome
-NCAA COllege Football 2k3
-NHL FaceOff 2003
-SpyHunter
-Deus Ex
-Gran Turismo 3
-High Heat 2002

-Xbox:
-Brute Force
-Crimson Skies
-ESPN Football 2k4
-Jade Empire: Limited Edition
-NCAA College Basketball 2k3
-NCAA Football 2005
-New Legends
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004
-Unreal Championship
-Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
-World Championship Poker
-World Series Baseball 2k3

Xbox 360:
-NBA 2K6
-Perfect Dark Zero

Gamestop 625 Westport Parkway Grapevine, TX 76051:
-Rock Band Special Edition Bundle (Xbox 360)

DesertEagleXIX:
-Winning Eleven 7 (PS2)
-Art of Fighting Anthology (PS2)
-Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
-Spellforce 2 (PC)
-Half-Life 2 (PC)
-Tiger Woods ’06 (PC)
-Max Payne 2 (Xbox)
-Max Payne (Xbox)
-Madden 2005 (Xbox)

Pinebarrens:
-Tony Hawk’s Underground 2 (PS2)
-Star Wars Battlefront (PS2)
-Soul Calibur 2 (PS2)
-Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)
-Area-51 (PS2)
-Viewtiful Joe (PS2)
-Devil May Cry 4 (PS2)
-Manhunt (PS2)
-Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)
-Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (PS2)
-007 – From Russia With Love (PS2)
-Gun (PS2)
-Super Trucks Racing (PS2)
-Tiger Woods 2005 (PS2)
-Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (PS2)
-Total Overdose (PS2)
-Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2)
-Call of Duty: Finest Hour (PS2)

I think that is all to date. If I messed anything up or left anything/anyone out please chew my ass out...j/k please let me know.

[quote name='G-Nitro']I'm working on a large donation right now. I have 10 games currently from a private collection. Also collecting money and games at work. They're doing a 50/50 raffle here and I'm expecting a good amount from that. Without the raffle, currently sitting at $100 donated. All money will be spent Friday at Gamestop on more games. Also my father is going to use his business to cover all shipping costs to get the games to you. I'll pm you when games are mailed off, which should be next week.[/quote]

Damn Nitro...In the military we call that "going above and beyond". Way to look out and your efforts are more than appreciated. It is guys like this and like everyone else here on CAG that are always willing to help out without question that make helping such a good feeling. It might seem small to you but it is a big deal to us. Just like when we (the Seabees) build schools, homes or even water wells for countries that would not even have fresh water for their kids to drink. We complete projects like that all the time so it does not seem like a big deal but it truly is when your on the outside looking in. Thank you.

[quote name='neushane']

Damn Nitro...In the military we call that "going above and beyond". Way to look out and your efforts are more than appreciated. It is guys like this and like everyone else here on CAG that are always willing to help out without question that make helping such a good feeling. It might seem small to you but it is a big deal to us. Just like when we (the Seabees) build schools, homes or even water wells for countries that would not even have fresh water for their kids to drink. We complete projects like that all the time so it does not seem like a big deal but it truly is when your on the outside looking in. Thank you.[/quote]

Neushane, actually it's become quite a big deal to me and a lot of others where I work. Myself and many co-workers are prior military, and others have family serving now, so the minute I sent out the e-mail stating this was for the troops, everyone was ready to help out. We're all just glad we can help those who protect us and others. And like I said, I'll PM you once everything is sent out.

Now that I see GameStop sent something, I feel kinda guilty that I wrote "Screw GameStop" in the digg thread title. However, being a huge corporation, they could have sent a lot more, so I won't feel that bad.

I'm going to see if I can get Amazon to contribute.

Hey folks. Found this thread from Digg and sent off a package this morning.

All 360 games

Assassin's Creed
Halo 3
Gears of War
Saints Row
Call of Duty 3
GRAW
Darkness
Battlestations Midway
Crimson Skies

and a 48 hour live card (not sure if that helps anyone lol)

[quote name='portwineboy']and a 48 hour live card (not sure if that helps anyone lol)[/quote]
Oh snap, I smell a "Military vs. Civilians Call of Duty 4 Grudge Match" on the horizon.

The civilian CAGs are gonna have to warm up with several matches of "Hunt the Wombat" over the next few weeks.

~HotShotX

[quote name='CheapyD']Now that I see GameStop sent something, I feel kinda guilty that I wrote "Screw GameStop" in the digg thread title. However, being a huge corporation, they could have sent a lot more, so I won't feel that bad.

I'm going to see if I can get Amazon to contribute.[/quote]

I do not think it was corporate that sent the game but rather a local store located by Izzard Lizard. He must have given them the information. I planned on calling them tomorrow and thanking them since our phone is back up and running. I will find out if they are independent or not.

wombat_wideweb__470x276,0.jpg

Thats one satisfied Wombat...:D:D:D:D

Not sure if this was mentioned already. but NPR's Bryant Park Project mentioned "Cheapbutt gamer" (they wouldn't say ass on the radio) and the send used games to the troops effort today. They also mentioned that gamestop sucks.

I also came to this thread from Digg. Here's the list of what I am sending, all PS2 games:

NCAA 2005
Final Fantasy X
Champions of Norrath
Toca Race Driver 2
Madden 2004
Madden 2002
Gran Turismo 3
MLB Slugfest 2004

I know the sports titles aren't the latest and greatest but they're still a hell of alot of fun to play!

Hey. I just saw the article on Kotaku a little while ago. I don't have much to spare but I'll be sending out Bully for the PS2 and Metroid Prime Hunters for the DS in a day or two.

[quote name='neushane']Shit that is very generous of you. I know that the Battalion does not have Gears because they always borrow mine or I go play with them on Sundays. I would have games like Gears, Halo3 and COD4 are must haves for them. I know they have COD4 and it gets alot of play time over there. All they have is one Xbox 360 for 250 guys. I am giving them the Rock Band Bundle I received from GameStop because they are more structured for permanent gaming and it looks like the stuff is going to stay here instead of going home with someone. Please use your best judgement and thank you for whatever you can contribute.

On a side note, our internet went down and I dont know what happened but this thread blew up (Hotshotx, you do get much love!) Glad to read everyone's responses and questions. I will get them answered as soon as I can get some free time (in a few hours).[/quote]

Not a problem. Ya'll deserve this more than I do.
Sounds like they could use another xbox 360? 250 guys is a lot for just one 360... I can round up more cash for that, controllers, and possibly Gears or COD4.

I'm sending out some games tomorrow.

PS2.
MVP 2005
SOCOM 1
GTA III

PSP
SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 1
MLB 06
Splinter Cell

Not much, but glad to give to the troops.

I had no idea this thread been around so long. I just saw a post on main page and Kotaku I'll be sure to send some stuff your way.

I'm gonna send all of my old ps2 games (16 total) and I'm gonna ask all my friends here in Monterrey, Mexico if they've got any. Shipping will be a little long since I have to make a trip to Texas in order to ship reliably.

Great cause, good luck!

[quote name='protmind']Not sure if this was mentioned already. but NPR's Bryant Park Project mentioned "Cheapbutt gamer" (they wouldn't say ass on the radio) and the send used games to the troops effort today. They also mentioned that gamestop sucks.[/quote]

Ha! Well, I guess it is still good publicity.

i don't have many games that i would give up, unless you still accept some Gamecube games. Also I would be willing to drop some coin on a donation if possible to create a fund to buy some games.

WOW!!! This thread has really blown up , Neushane your the man , i mean for starting this thread and all , thats awesome:applause: !!! I got your PM , and i sent one your way. The way its looking for me and my guys i wont be moving so that address you have for me will be good!!! Ill take plenty of pics of everyone enjoying the games , and ill throw in some pics of our route clearing equip.!!! I also wanna thank everyone here at CAG , the support from a community like this means alot , thanxs goes out to everyone who supports us in any way , trust me it means alot. Also i dont know who to suggest this too but , i think that Neushane should be CAG member of the year for this!!! So how about it CheapyD??? Again thanxs everyone , just remember SAPPERS lead the way HOOAH!!!!

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79'] Also i dont know who to suggest this too but , i think that Neushane should be CAG member of the year for this!!! So how about it CheapyD??? Again thanxs everyone , just remember SAPPERS lead the way HOOAH!!!![/quote]

Perhaps it would be better to do it for next years voting. Everybody has probably already voted for somebody/thing else in the Cheapy Awards for thread of the year or whatever, so next time around may be better. I sure hope this thread is still thriving by that time.

[quote name='Quintessence']Perhaps it would be better to do it for next years voting. Everybody has probably already voted for somebody/thing else in the Cheapy Awards for thread of the year or whatever, so next time around may be better. I sure hope this thread is still thriving by that time.[/quote]

I imagine we'll be keeping it alive for as long as possible :)

~HotShotX

This effort made the news on X-Play tonight. On their scrolling marquee of news on the bottom of the screen they told of the effort, gave the address of neushane, then said to come to CAG for more information. I noticed it during the "Games for Cheap Bastards" segment of the show ironically.

Well, I am getting two of the flat rate boxes ready to ship tomorrow:

Ps2 Console Complete except orig box
Ps2 USB Headset
2 Ps2 memory cards
Thrustmaster 2 in 1 Rumble Controller (works with PS2 and PC)

PS2 Games:

Socom 1
Socom 2
Socom 3
Socom Combined Assault
Metal Gear Solid (PS1), missing instruction manual, but incluces a PS1 mem card
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistance
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Indycar Series
CART Fury Championship Racing
Soul Calibur 2
Grand Turismo 3
Psychonauts
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Madden 2004
NFL Street
Malice
Killzone
Goldeneye Rogue Agent

Glad I can help out, even if it is just this little bit.

Ninja, yesterday I mailed up a big box to your DET that contained 40 games that were donated to us. Also thank you for the kind words but COTY, I don't deserve that. I just play the middle man out here. It is the CAG donors that make this happen

Richdmoore, thanks for the donation. Look like some great stuff that will see alot of play time, especially with all those shooters.

I received an email from Maxine Shen from the New York Post and she interviewed me and wrote this article:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02072008/news/worldnews/video_aid_for_our_game_gis_304377.htm

Thanks everyone for spreading the word. The email has been none stop. I just have to maintain my job 1st so I don't get in trouble but all email will be answered. Time to start my day, I will be back for the next update.

[quote name='MSUHitman']This effort made the news on X-Play tonight. On their scrolling marquee of news on the bottom of the screen they told of the effort, gave the address of neushane, then said to come to CAG for more information. I noticed it during the "Games for Cheap Bastards" segment of the show ironically.[/quote]

Great publicity!

Just got listening to the CAGCast. Great show as usual. Thanks for mentioning the thread.

Wombat, keep checking the NY Post for the article I posted above. My mom (who lives in Massachusetts but I grew up in Middletown, NY) gets the Post everyday too. She probably saw the article you mentioned an flipped a lid! I will have to try to call her soon to see if she mentions it. If anything, it is good publicity for CAG!

No real updates today. I mailed a package to CAG Ninjalunchbox79 that had 40 games in it. He should see it soon. I am sure he will post a bunch more pictures. Also, I donated the Rock Band bundle today and expect some pictures of that event (my rechargables dies and had to use another camera).

Read up on the great comments on Digg. A lot of nice people but a lot of dickheads too. Reading the bad comments just make me laugh! From war bashers to people sizing me up...fucking hilarious stuff over there. I am just glad it blew up as much as it did. Here is a list of articles I saw or had people email me about their blogs:

http://blogs.nypost.com/pgr/archives/2008/02/games_for_the_t.html

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02072008/news/worldnews/video_aid_for_our_game_gis_304377.htm

http://digg.com/gaming_news/screw_gamestop_donate_your_games_to_the_troops_in_iraq/all

www.n4g.com/gaming/News-107721.aspx

http://gamingparents.com/?p=624

http://www.gamervision.com/gamer/do...amers_create_game_charity_to_thank_our_troops

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165984

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_videogames/2008/02/donate-video-ga.html

http://www.nintendoraw.com/?p=646

www.lawsofplay.com

Gamingsteve.com

Ladympire.com

screenburnfest.com/2008/2008/02/07/play-it-again-soldier-donate-your-used-games/

forums.ijji.com/showthread.php?p=1511768

http://www.thegamerstudio.com/2008/02/send-them-our-l.html

techgage.com/news/donate_games_to_the_troops_in_iraq/

We all know where it started but I am glad every site is going out of their way to include this post's link and the mention of CAG.

Just watched a dvr'ed X-Play episode, and that cheap ass bastard games segment came up and I said to myself, we need to lobby to get cheapy to run that segment, then I looked down and saw the ticker and this thread was on it.

Great Job,

(P.S. - I'm working on sending some games out)

I'm sending these games on monday :

X360

Assassin's Creed
Gears of War
Call of Duty 2, 3, and 4
Halo 3
Splinter Cell Double Agent

GBA

Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening
Legend of Zelda Minish Cap
Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons
Mario and Lugi Superstar Saga

GC

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Masterquest
Star Fox Adventures
Super Smash Bros Melee

PS2

Burnout 3

N64

Paper Mario
Rayman 2

PC

Battlefield 2
Company of Heroes

Do they play PC and N64 games over there? If not I can use the extra space in the box I'm shipping the games in for extra 2 GC controllers and a PS2 controller if they could use them.

Hey, found this thread via digg, I think this is a fantastic idea. Am sending out the following early this coming week:

PSP with 2GB memory card

PSP games:
Daxter
Metal Gear Acid
Kingdom of Heaven

PS2 games:
Tekken Tag Tournament
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy
Harvest Moon
Metal Gear Solid 2
Madden 2001 (sorry about this one, feel free to chuck it if no one wants it)

XBox games:
KOTOR 2
Fable

Stay safe over there!

[quote name='stabby2486']
Do they play PC and N64 games over there? If not I can use the extra space in the box I'm shipping the games in for extra 2 GC controllers and a PS2 controller if they could use them.[/quote]

I believe he said a while back that he has not seen any N64 consoles, and that PC games are fine as long as they have minimal system requirements.

Ok, I guess I'll send the controllers instead of the PC and N64 games. And sorry if the controllers don't work, I haven't used them in a while.

Any specific criteria? Like "nothing too kiddy", and the such? I'd like to keep my collection of PS2 games for collection purposes, but I'd be right happy to give away some of my Gamecube games. Dunno when I'll get the package out though, first I need to go hunting in the basement for the cube stuff.

soul calibur 2
super smash bros melee (I practically lived off this game for a year, and then some).
Sonic adventure 2: Battle
mario kart double dash
Tales of symphonia
paper mario the thousand year door.

And then maybe 3 360 games I don't play anymore (GRAW, PGR3, PDZ).

Dang, some people here are generous. Maybe I'll go asking-around at BB/GS/EB/GC to donate some games

PoseidenJ, I will not make recommendations on what to donate because I feel that is not really my place. We have female gamers too as I mentioned before so what sound kiddie to some of us guys, might be right up someone else's alley. Anything, and I mean anything, that comes this way is great. The people donating newer titles or brand new games are going out of their way, and it is very appreciative, but was not the plan here.

It has been slow the last few days. Nothing new received on my end. I can not give out details without getting in trouble but we are having personnel changes that could be slowing up the receiving process. I did have someone from another site state they shipped out a package a month ago and they have not heard a thing. I feel bad but it is out of my hands and I do not work for the post office. Anything I received has been pretty well documented here and I have no intentions of hiding anything (unless someone does not want to be mentioned). I would want to give the donor the recognition they deserve as soon as possible. Due to the posts here and the email I received from elsewhere in cyberspace, I have a good feeling that I will be bombarded with games to hand out in the near future.

bread's done
Back