Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread II - All Stores CLOSING!

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thank you for stopping by the Official CAG Hollywood Video Deals Thread!

"Thank you to Thekrakrabbit for originally starting the HWV Deals Thread and for passing the torch onto me."

(updated 5/4/10)

RECENT NEWS: MG/HWV files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy for the 2nd time! ALL STORES CLOSING!

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/05/03/movie-gallerys-closing-act/
http://www.globest.com/news/1653_1653/portland/184780-1.html
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/movie-gallery/movie-gallery-shutting-down-all-stores-19261
http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-video-finally-closing-its-doors-29290/

Please search the store locator for stores in your area that will be closing! Thank you.
http://hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

If you have a problem with anything related to Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy,
call 1-8SpeakToUs (1-877-325-8687).

Most Asked Question...WHEN PRICES DROP?

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

CURRENT LIQUIDATION GAME SALE INFO

The first 800 HWV store closings have finished and all stores are beginning the process over again. You will need to check in with your area store periodically about current discounts because each store is different. Current Speculation is that all stores will be closed within 10 weeks...so by July.

I do not have a master list of prices unfortunately. Most stores have gone through and price stickered the older games. There is a possibility of the newer games being price stickered as well, but until then, you will have to inquire about the price with the employee. Most prices for the newer games in the computer range between $30-$50 and then take whatever their current discount is off that price.

ALL other Deals at HWV Closing stores:

These discounts below are taken from my store's last week of closing. Just to give anyone an idea as to how low your store may go.

80% off Used DVDs higher than $14.99
80% off Used Rental Blu-Ray (range from $2-$5!)
80% off all Used Games including transferred Game Vault games
80% off all New Games
80% off Novelties (Toys, posters, game guides, board games)
80% off New DVDs
80% off New Blu-Ray
80% off Candy, Snack, & Drinks
80% off Accessories
80% off Hardware

$1.99 each Used New Release Rentals
.99 cents Core Collection DVD rentals or 6 for $5
$1.98 Core Collection Blu-Ray rentals
$1.99 Used DVDs priced $14.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $12.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $9.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $5.99

Used Games listed Under $29.99 in computer (YMMV)

:360:
50 Cent Blood on the Sand
Ace Combat 6
Afro Samurai
Alone In the Dark
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Damnation
The Darkness
Dead Rising
Destroy All Humans Path of Furon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable II
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fight Night Round 4
Ghostbusters
Gears of War 2
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
Halo 3
Halo Wars
HAWX
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
L4D
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden
Overlord
Phantasy Star Universe
Prince of Persia
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Shaun White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Street Fighter 4
Tenchu Z
Terminator Salvation
Tetris Evolution
Timeshift
Tomb Raider Underworld
Too Human
Velvet Assassin
Vesperia
Vikings
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
Bad Company
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Civilization Revolution
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Eternal Sonata
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fuel
Ghostbusters
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grid
GTA 4
GT5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf out of bounds
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Metal Gear Solid 4
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 09 The Show
Mortal Kombat V DC
Need For Speed Carbon
Need For Speed Underground
Overlord
Pure
Ratchet & Clank Tools of the Future
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Rock Band 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill Homecoming
Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic Unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Timeshift
Trivia Pursuit
Uncharted
Up
Virtua Tennis 3
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:wii:

Alone In the Dark

Big Brain Academy
Big League Sports
Bigs 2
Boom Blox I & II
Carnival Games
Conduit
Deadly Creatures
Dead Rising Chop
De Blob
Donkey Kong Barrel
Elebits
Family Feud
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero World Tour
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Slug Anthology
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
My Sims Kingdom
Need For Speed: Proshift
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic Black Knight
Soul Calibur Legends
Spongebob Truth or Square
Star Wars Light Saber Duels
Stars Wars The Clone Wars
Stars Wars The Complete Saga
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Up
WarHawk
Wario Land Shake It
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Music
Zack & Wiki ($9.99)

:ds:
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Call of Duty
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrrow
Digimon Wold Dawn
GTA China Town Wars
Harvest Moon
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Lego Batman
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs Dalmation, Lab, etc
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Professsor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Scribblenauts
Rhythm Heaven
Yoshi's Island

:psp:

Class of Heroes
Dissidia-Final Fantasy
FiFa Soccer '10
God of War
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Patapon
Resistance
Sims 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed

Hollywood Video Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a Hollywood Video Rental account in order to take advantage of any trades
- You must sign up for a new Hollywood Video account at every store you wish to trade at (Each store is separate)
- Employees cannot access your trading/purchase history from store to store
- You may get a price quote print out before you decide to trade-in any games
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your Hollywood Video account or onto a giftcard (Only in $5 increments)
- Trade-in credit can only be used on the account it is placed unless you take the giftcard option in which you may use it at any Hollywood Video/Game Crazy/Movie Gallery location

Any Forum Trades; please visit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230651

Special Ordering Used or New Video Games

Beginning December 14th, ALL Hollywood Video stores will have the ability to place New & Used GAME Special Orders. Customers who cannot find games or accessories can place a Special Order and have it shipped from any Game Crazy/Game Zone store to their Hollywood Video for pick-up.

* Shipping Fee is $6.00 (Possibly per game if being shipped from different locations)
* Most Special Orders arrive within 7 days of ordering
* Outlet Stores do not participate in Special Orders, so YMMV on all stores.

Special Orders include:

Strategy Guides
New & Used Controllers
New & Used Games
New & Used cables, cords, and accessories
Toys & Figures

There is a list of product either on a waiting list or permanently out of stock; I may include this at a later point when I have more time. It's quite long.

Important notes (please read these before posting questions):

1) 99% of these deals will NOT work in a Game Crazy. They have their own deals; please refer to http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 These deals will also more than likely NOT work at a Hollywood Video with a Game Crazy attached! However, Movie Gallery may or may not have some of these same Game deals! "Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video", hence the reason for some of the same sales at either HWV or MG.

2) Hollywood Video employees will need to scan a coupon code in order for any game to be discounted.

3) Hollywood Video's store hours vary from location to location, especially with all the store closings. Please call.

4) If you would like to contribute to any game deals, please when posting, include game, system, price, city and state.
For example:
Dragon Quest VIII, PS2, $4.99
Tampa, FL (Temple Terrace)

5) Hollywood Video's are mostly movie rental stores (games are not as important to them to keep up on), thus, always double check on sticker prices because 50% of the time they are probably stickered wrong. ;)

6) Do not trust the store locator at HollywoodVideo.com Google it and call first. That store might already be closed!

7) Hollywood Video does not do cash back if a game is damaged or you "already own it". Used games have a 90 day guarantee. You have a few options: swap for same title, swap for a different title if they do not have it, or using the disc buffer machine to try and fix the game. Hollywood Video also does disc buffing for personal items at a $1 per disc.

8) ALL sales are FINAL during the closing sale. Usually within the first few weeks of the sale if you do purchase something that does not work they MAY swap it for you. YMMV!!!

Previous HWV Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

***I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/adds to the OP! Either post here or even PM me if you'd like.
Thank you and I hope everyone finds some excellent deals!

Last edited by a moderator:
I screwed up; thought I was first in line for Red Faction Guerilla on goozex for the 360, turns out its ps3 version. If anyone is interested, I'll sell it for $15 shipped. It's the 360 version, hollywood video case w/ manual.

[quote name='ploppsdman']I screwed up; thought I was first in line for Red Faction Guerilla on goozex for the 360, turns out its ps3 version. If anyone is interested, I'll sell it for $15 shipped. It's the 360 version, hollywood video case w/ manual.[/QUOTE]

Wrong thread, wrong price, wrong time. If anything, wait until after the 13.

I managed to go to the Movie Gallery in St. Cloud, FL this weekend and found a complete copy of :360: Elder Scrolls: Oblivion GOTY. Nothing much else there from the current generation outside of sports games.

It has been to hard for this sale in NJ. There are so few stores and the competition is tuff. I was able to get Twilight Princess for my son on Gamecube mostly because it was priced wrong. Does anyone know of some other stores besides Bridgewater and Lakewood that might have anything decent?

[quote name='Kakkarrot23']It has been to hard for this sale in NJ. There are so few stores and the competition is tuff. I was able to get Twilight Princess for my son on Gamecube mostly because it was priced wrong. Does anyone know of some other stores besides Bridgewater and Lakewood that might have anything decent?[/QUOTE]

Not around my way. Clinton closed last month. That had been my gold mine for the two prior sales.

Out of curiosity, how many people are able to get complete games (w/ no HWV dvd labels?) almost every place I go has the labels or are missing instruction manuals

Darn only '06 and '07 sports games at my local HWV. Oh yeah also around 100 copies of Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones.

I checked out the other HWV earlier today again and both copies of Midnight Club: LA for 360 that were there last time had disappeared already. I asked the manager to check GH: Smash Hits for 360, but it was still $34.99. :bomb:

I also asked about how the special order process works and I was told(and I quote): "If all of the games on your order are coming from one store, you'll only get charged $6 shipping, but if they're coming from multiple stores it's $6 per game then".

I was also told that the sale ends on the 17th(not the 13th). They still had 4-6 copies each of Oblivion, DMC4 and Motorstorm for PS3, but nothing that I'd want that qualified. Deal is dead to me due to no fuckin' restocks or rental game pulls pending.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Holy crap? You mean you actually buy games to play and not just flip for a profit?

Seriously though, I tend to give you a lot of shit so let me offer some helpful info. My hollywood is absolutely excellent about refurbing their discs. Every game I've bought from them they have fixed to be almost new and they all work perfectly. They never give me a hard time about it either. If it comes scratched to hell just ask them to resurface it and if it still looks like crap they usually replace it with one of their rental copies. But again, this is at my hollywood and they know me and have always been really good to me there.[/QUOTE]

Shocking isn't it that I actually buy games to play. :D As for the resurfacing thing, it's ok to do it to Wii and 360 games, but once that initial coating is gone from a Blu-Ray game they become WORSE than DVD/CD discs for scratches. I mean, literally, the slightest touch with something a little too abrasive and it scratches up easily.

Stopped by a HWV on the way home from work to see if there was anything left and the sign on the door said the landlord kicked them out for not paying rent.

[quote name='Kakkarrot23']It has been to hard for this sale in NJ. There are so few stores and the competition is tuff. I was able to get Twilight Princess for my son on Gamecube mostly because it was priced wrong. Does anyone know of some other stores besides Bridgewater and Lakewood that might have anything decent?[/QUOTE]

Brick closed on the 28th (only thing left was a copy of Skate 2 (360) and there was crap in Jackson and Toms River

[quote name='Gbear09']Out of curiosity, how many people are able to get complete games (w/ no HWV dvd labels?) almost every place I go has the labels or are missing instruction manuals[/QUOTE]

It's what HWV does, they print out their game cover art. The front looks like the original but the back is not. Ask them at the counter if you can have the original case and art. They may just have it in the back. When I buy my blu rays from them I just ask for blu ray case if they have them because blus in a dvd case with crappy HWV sale price stickers all over is just nasty, or if not he gives me a ps3 case. I actually like the look of blu rays in the ps3 case...it looks quite nice. Thinking of finding ps3 cases somewhere and transferring all my blus to them.

I asked about special orders. First thing they tell me is 'Pre-orders?' I said no. Then they asked if I wanted to buy new games, and that they had them there. I said no. I wanted used games. They looked at me confused, and told me to wait for the manager to come in tomorrow. I called corporate, they didn't know about it either. So now i'm forced to wait.

If he doesn't know how to do this, is there anywhere I could point him to so he knows how to? He already knows how I am, so I hope he wouldn't get offended with it.

[quote name='gamewizardx']No you are thinking about this wrong. Game crazys did ship there stuff off yes but the HWV's they where apart of still have rentals and they do pull them for sale now since there isnt a gamecrazy selling them for them. The ones I have gone in to are gold mines but since they had a gamecrazy's in the past attached to them they are still not doing the deal. So they have a ton of store rental sale copies for full price. I asked the rep why they are still not doing the deal now since the gamecrazy is gone he said "its because we had it still open when the deal started". I don't know if I believe this but the fact is they aren't offering the $4.99 deal.[/QUOTE]

OK, I get you. ;)

But I do think the guy at that HWV wasn't telling you the truth. I visit a HWV near my work that had their GC close up long before this sale started and it's the same thing. No $4.99 deals at all. Although it does have a couple of tables full of leftover 80% off used games in paper envelopes from that GC. :roll:

I'm looking for some help with the special order process. Is there a list of games that I might be able to get or do I just list of some titles, basically throwing darts hoping somethings sticks?

After seeing this thread, I decided to take a roundabout way home tonight to hit some Hollywood Videos. The first three I went to had already shut down, and the fourth wasn't running the $4.99 sale. They had some sports games for $5 and only a few other games that were $8 and up. Nothing good at all. Oh well.

[quote name='dugbrandon']I'm looking for some help with the special order process. Is there a list of games that I might be able to get or do I just list of some titles, basically throwing darts hoping somethings sticks?[/QUOTE]

:roll: What is it with people not reading the FIRST POST of a thread anymore?!?!?! There's a wealth of info in the first(and sometimes second and third) post(s) of most of these threads on here.

They wouldn't do the special order process at my store. They said that they're an outlet store and they don't even get new shipments in anymore. Is that right? I mean, I tried to sound pretty confident about it, citing info from a friend who works at Hollywood video in another state.

Can anyone confirm this for me? The next closest Hollywood video is absurdly far away. All I really wanted was a copy of RE5 to replace my lost copy. Considering the gas I'd have to spend (and have already wasted), I could probably pay one of you guys a premium to pick a copy up for me.

I got lucky with this deal today. One of the two whole stores in AZ that offers this deal was going to pull rentals to add to there next to nothing supply for sale. They would say the next day they would pull the copies and then it would turn into the next day after that. After a week of watching the store they did a 600-700 pull. Walked in when they were working on this and they let me view the sheets of stickers to make my choices before hand. I got about 30 but some of the better ones where

Ghostbusters,HAWX,Ninja Blade,Destroy All Humans Path of Furon,HAWX,Beautiful Katamari,Call of Juarez,Street Fighter IV,Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time,Tales of Symphonia,Deadly Creatures,Warhammer: Battle March,dynasty warriors 6,onechanbara biki warriors, Battalion Wars 2 ,Chocobo's Dungeon,Castlevania Judgment.

There was a lot left to make money at gamestop but only took 2 Hanna Montana the movie game to get infamous. I think I did man kind a favor on that. It just doesn't sit well taking some many to trade to game stop. Feel like its taking games from other CAG that just want to play/own the game.

Was sad to see some many great games at 35. I think about 25% of the list on this forum where at $35 and not $29. This is at least how it is working in AZ. We don't really have anything better to do then play video games or get skin cancer.
http://www.wikio.co.uk/guide/onechanbara-bikini-samurai-squad-xbox-360-141215.html

In my area gamewizardx there's very few people who really go into HWV as it is. It's typically dead until the weekend and even then it's not that busy. So I long ago gave up feeling as if I was taking deals away from other CAG's or other customers.

Actually, during the $3.99 last gen sale last fall there were 2 kids who came down from NY state by Binghamton someplace(bout 40-50 miles away) and they were each walking out with 20-30 games.

Mind you, I used to do that with guides(back before I realized most are worthless), but if anything I should've been pissed at these two guys coming into my local stores and grabbing shit I could've played or flipped.

But I made out like a bandit during that sale and this one, so I'm ok with an occasional bit of competition and actually the starting day of this sale I beat a local big time hoarder to the stores by 30 minutes.

He looked pissed when he came in and saw I already had some good games bought up. LOL Nothing satisfies me more than beating my local competition.

lol... i feel like I've been gone forever with so much to respond too!! :lol:

[quote name='Bezerker']The store here in Dunedin modified their policy list at the register to show that all used game sales are final, no exchanges.

Sounds like something that might need to be run by Carol's replacement. I personally think its just that old hag manager at Dunedin being herself.[/QUOTE]

Yea strange...well we've been through 2 regionals since Carol...I'd say its just the mgr.

[quote name='XClaude']Ugh, the closest HWV to me is 5.5 miles away... Anyone know if the Harbor location in Anaheim, southern California has any worthwhile titles to make a trek over there? I wouldn't mind some decent PS3 titles to add to my library.[/QUOTE]

5.5 miles? ...that reallly isn't that far to go...but then again I guess I get used to it since tampa is so spread out.

[quote name='bgame2']It is a sad day for me. There are 3 stand alone hollywood videos near me. Two closed on December 10 as the result of "Rent Disputes." Because of this I have been frequenting the remaining one over the course of the last two weeks. During that time, the employees have been volunteering information about the closings and claiming that HWV didn't pay the rent because the landlords were shady or repairs needed to be done. Clearly they had been decieved because when I went to that store today (I was there 2 days ago) there was a sign that said it was "Temporarily Closed." I hate Gamestop policies as much as the next CAG, but it is really shitty of a company to assure people that their jobs are secure and then have them be locked out without any notice. That's just rotten.[/QUOTE]

yes...shitty shitty. It happened at my store...closed for two weeks because of building rent dispute..however I got lucky and we reopened, otherwise, all of you would never have known about these deals. ;)

[quote name='Gbear09']Out of curiosity, how many people are able to get complete games (w/ no HWV dvd labels?) almost every place I go has the labels or are missing instruction manuals[/QUOTE]

[quote name='anthfett06']It's what HWV does, they print out their game cover art. The front looks like the original but the back is not. Ask them at the counter if you can have the original case and art. They may just have it in the back. When I buy my blu rays from them I just ask for blu ray case if they have them because blus in a dvd case with crappy HWV sale price stickers all over is just nasty, or if not he gives me a ps3 case. I actually like the look of blu rays in the ps3 case...it looks quite nice. Thinking of finding ps3 cases somewhere and transferring all my blus to them.[/QUOTE]

Ugh...I still can't believe that just before this sale started? Every fucking store anywhere remotely reasonably accessible to me closed! I blame Netflix...rat bastards. :bomb:

[quote name='XClaude']Ugh, the closest HWV to me is 5.5 miles away... Anyone know if the Harbor location in Anaheim, southern California has any worthwhile titles to make a trek over there? I wouldn't mind some decent PS3 titles to add to my library.[/QUOTE]

5.5 miles is a far distance for you? Seriously? I can understand not wanting to make the trip if it was like 50.5 miles one way, but 5 miles is nothing for the chance to buy some decent games to play/flip.

Even if you're driving a Hummer, it's not that far to drive. Now if you're walking there and it's all major interstate highways with no real surface streets and no bridges going over said highways, then I could see questioning it then too.

But even then there's always public transportation.

If you want the deals, you have to work for them.

[quote name='Full Metal XL']I blame Netflix...rat bastards. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

And don't forget to blame Redbox and cable VOD and streaming sites too. :roll:

[quote name='mogamer']And don't forget to blame Redbox and cable VOD and streaming sites too. :roll:[/QUOTE]

And the $5 a night that these stores charge for a new rental. I swear - I NEVER go into a store anymore and see anyone actually in there renting movies... or games, for that matter...

Anybody have any luck at a outlet store buying a rental and having them scan the coupon for it to come up for $5? I asked at mine and the lady (must have been having a bad day) wouldn't price check anything for me unless i was going to buy it. I figure if they are selling all the movies in the store you can just get any rental and have it ring up for the used price and then used the coupon to get it for $5. Anybody have any experience or ideas about this? I would like to go to the HWV outlet but its like 15 miles away and not worth the gas and time to get shut down again.

[quote name='nazman11']Anybody have any luck at a outlet store buying a rental and having them scan the coupon for it to come up for $5? I asked at mine and the lady (must have been having a bad day) wouldn't price check anything for me unless i was going to buy it. I figure if they are selling all the movies in the store you can just get any rental and have it ring up for the used price and then used the coupon to get it for $5. Anybody have any experience or ideas about this? I would like to go to the HWV outlet but its like 15 miles away and not worth the gas and time to get shut down again.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know this. Can you just buy the rentals? I was under the impression that the rentals weren't for sale. They didn't seem to be, anyway. If they were, then I could easily grab the games I needed from them. The whole "outlet" thing wasn't really clear to me, and left me sort of confused, but I didn't press further on the issue.

From what i understood you could grab anything off the shelf and buy it, i actually bought a few dvds (ed wood, the sting) for like 3 dollars each and was told i could buy the rentals but that they would ring up at normal price and they could not use the coupon, just trying to figure out the coupon and price stuff. I assume they would ring up as used games at their current pricepoint and with the coupons be valid for the sale. Just need a confirmation or tip on what to do.

At the outlets, you CAN buy rental video games at the price that they ring up, however, regardless of that price, they will NOT qualify for the 4.99 sale. Obviously you could end up with an employee who doesn't stick to that, but that's how its SUPPOSED to be.

[quote name='savagepastry']At the outlets, you CAN buy rental video games at the price that they ring up, however, regardless of that price, they will NOT qualify for the 4.99 sale. Obviously you could end up with an employee who doesn't stick to that, but that's how its SUPPOSED to be.[/QUOTE]

Is this to mean that the coupon will not work, the price will have to be overridden? Or that it's simply store policy to not apply the coupon?

Extended?!! super_dawn you're AWESOME :)

I guess I'll be driving 30 miles to the HWV I visited at the start of this sale that was already raped by CAGs to see if there's anything new. I called and he said they got some new games in, he held a few for me until tomorrow. I didn't bother going yesterday because everything is frozen over here, $5 games is not worth risking potential repair bills with half-brained rednecks doing 85 on a frozen freeway. It should melt by tomorrow. Thanks OP :)

I'm hoping that my HWV (that had the temporarily closed sign up yesterday) opens back up because the employees are going to be seriously disgruntled. I'm always friendly with the people and they're always nice to me. Like I said yesterday they were fed misinformation about their store being safe and why the other local stores actually closed. I have a feeling that they are going to be very agreeable to converting rentals or whatever else if I ask -especially the young girl who they made work on Christmas.

I'm so upset every time I read everyone's posts on here. People are finding/getting pretty decent games and the only HWV near me is like a 1 hr drive and only carries a couple of crappy Gamecube games

[quote name='bgame2']I'm hoping that my HWV (that had the temporarily closed sign up yesterday) opens back up because the employees are going to be seriously disgruntled. I'm always friendly with the people and they're always nice to me. Like I said yesterday they were fed misinformation about their store being safe and why the other local stores actually closed. I have a feeling that they are going to be very agreeable to converting rentals or whatever else if I ask -especially the young girl who they made work on Christmas.[/QUOTE]
I don't think it is coming back. My closest HWV still has that temporarily closed sign up, but it is an empty space with a for lease sign up now as well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:roll: What is it with people not reading the FIRST POST of a thread anymore?!?!?! There's a wealth of info in the first(and sometimes second and third) post(s) of most of these threads on here.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to start an argument, or go off topic but the first post didn't really answer my question. I didn't know if I could only order the games listed that qualify or I could attempt to order anything, or if there was some sort of list somewhere that I could reference. Dawn did a much better job of answering my question (Thank you). I guess when I stop back in I will just pick some games out of those listed in the first post. Unless I can come up something I really want that I think might qualify. Otherwise there is a virtually never ending list, and I wouldn't know where to start, or perhaps more importantly, end.

just called HV, sales guy named Chuck was happy to go check the games for me, said they have bout 20 different 360 titles in stock at 4.99, heading there, trip report to follow. I have $100 in my iSlate fund...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']5.5 miles is a far distance for you? Seriously? I can understand not wanting to make the trip if it was like 50.5 miles one way, but 5 miles is nothing for the chance to buy some decent games to play/flip.

Even if you're driving a Hummer, it's not that far to drive. Now if you're walking there and it's all major interstate highways with no real surface streets and no bridges going over said highways, then I could see questioning it then too.

But even then there's always public transportation.

If you want the deals, you have to work for them.[/QUOTE]

hrm, while 5.5 miles isn't far, it is very out of my way. The last few times HWV had these deals, I trekked at least 25 miles in that same direction(odd that they kept the stores out in that direction around me and close the closer ones) for about 4 different locations. Problem is that all 4 had abysmal selection(that doesn't work for flips nor worth playing) or for some odd reason doesn't seem to participate in the promotions. Poor selection probably due to the fact that I'm in a fairly populated area of southern california.

So yes, the closest one is 5.5 miles and I thought it would be more economical if I ask the question here first in case some 360 CAG who spotted PS3 titles that he didn't pick up. Having done my driving to all 4 stores multiple times before with no haul... cut me some slack? :cry::cry::cry:

I'm in Garden Grove and the stores I mention are in Anaheim... stretching up to Fullerton. The "ugh,..." in my original post reflects my not-so-successful attempts in the past.

The sale's still going on? If that's true, then you should know that the price of Super Paper Mario dropped to $29.99, make it sale-eligible, as did ... Golden Axe, maybe?

so anyone find a hwv with a single 360 game in stock that's running this sale in jersey?

like others i stopped by jackson, toms river and brick and they didn't have much in the beginning of the sale... now i hear the brick store is even closed now

someone give me a clue if anythings worth giving a second shot here since i don't think i have any store thats closer then 30-40mins

There's a HWV right by me that got its locks changed right before the sale. I really wish they'd pay the rent so I can go see what they have. :cry:

[quote name='munch']There's a HWV right by me that got its locks changed right before the sale. I really wish they'd pay the rent so I can go see what they have. :cry:[/QUOTE]So this is a thing, then. I had to read the eviction notice at one of my locations twice last night before I believed it.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Golden Axe has been 29.99 or under since at least the summer. Possibly earlier. I can only speak back to the summer. Super Paper Mario also qualifies.[/QUOTE]

I should qualify that I've been shopping at a Movie Gallery. The game-savvy manager told me he'd just been apprised of those price drops yesterday.

[quote name='munch']There's a HWV right by me that got its locks changed right before the sale. I really wish they'd pay the rent so I can go see what they have. :cry:[/QUOTE]

LOL, that's crazy. What's to stop someone from just breaking in? Power is probably off, too. No alarms, cameras, nobody there. I wouldn't be surprised if these locations get looted. Either via a brick/rock through the glass door/window, or just picking/breaking the new lock.

Just got back, here's what i got:

---
Fallout 3 (Marked at 49.99)
The Orange Box (Marked at 49.99)
Lego Batman
TNA Impact (Marked at 34.99)
Need for Speed - Pro Street (Marked at 49.99)
Golden Axe: Beast Rider (Marked at 39.99 and some at 49.99)

PS3
---
WWE: Smackdown 2009 (Marked at 49.99)

paid $37 and change after tax. really nice employees, they were shouked that the games were priced wrong. Also, i found Fallout and The Orange Box hidden in the new game section. Brunswick, GA

I left some 2006/7 spoorts games, and a ton of Need for Speed Pro, 2 Copies of Saint's Row, and some strange RTS I dont remember the name of. Thanks OP, was totaly worth the trip.

Just got back from my HWV. They didn't get anything new in, so I asked the girl at the counter about placing special orders. She told me, hesitantly, "Yeah, we can do that... but it costs another $7 per game. And I did it before, and I haven't heard anything back, and it has been 5 months." So she basically told me she didn't really want to do it, without saying as much. That is fine though because I don't want to pay an extra $7 per game, since a few of the games that I had wanted are $30 or less retail otherwise. I only really pay attention to the PS3 games there, but they do have some decent 360 games that I would definitely get for myself if I had one, like GTA IV and Gears of War off the top of my head.

[quote name='eugaet']So this is a thing, then. I had to read the eviction notice at one of my locations twice last night before I believed it.[/QUOTE]

The Landlord Tenant laws in each state vary so greatly that I'm really intrigued by what will happen to all of the product that is locked in the stores (whose landlords changed the locks).

[quote name='XClaude']So yes, the closest one is 5.5 miles and I thought it would be more economical if I ask the question here first in case some 360 CAG who spotted PS3 titles that he didn't pick up. Having done my driving to all 4 stores multiple times before with no haul.[/quote]But see, just like every other sale/clearance, these are YMMV(your mileage may vary), meaning that you may or you may not find something worthwhile. You'll come up empty many times, it happens.

The main part of being a CAG is hunting for a deal, not getting the deal on EVERY run. If you're not willing to at least come up empty handed on 1-3 out of every 5 runs, then you should stick to being a normal consumer since the most diehard CAG's know that the thrill of finding a deal makes most of the legwork involved worth it.

Can someone explicitly confirm that this works at both Hollywood Video and Movie Gallery? If so, I can't believe I somehow missed this thread all this time...There are three MGs within a few minutes from my house and there is a HV and more MGs within 20 minutes.

Also, any game listed here will ring up for $4.99 with this coupon code with few fluke exceptions to the rule?

bread's done
Back