Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread II - All Stores CLOSING!

super_dawn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Thank you for stopping by the Official CAG Hollywood Video Deals Thread!

"Thank you to Thekrakrabbit for originally starting the HWV Deals Thread and for passing the torch onto me."

(updated 5/4/10)

RECENT NEWS: MG/HWV files for Chap. 11 Bankruptcy for the 2nd time! ALL STORES CLOSING!

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2010/05/03/movie-gallerys-closing-act/
http://www.globest.com/news/1653_1653/portland/184780-1.html
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/movie-gallery/movie-gallery-shutting-down-all-stores-19261
http://www.myce.com/news/hollywood-video-finally-closing-its-doors-29290/

Please search the store locator for stores in your area that will be closing! Thank you.
http://hollywoodvideo.com/storelocator.aspx

If you have a problem with anything related to Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery/Game Crazy,
call 1-8SpeakToUs (1-877-325-8687).

Most Asked Question...WHEN PRICES DROP?

All stores vary when prices will drop because it depends on how well the inventory is selling. If selling fairly well the store could possibly stay open longer, if not, the store may close down earlier preventing any further discounts from happening. From what I've noticed most price drops happen once a week (days vary) and then the last two weeks they drop much quicker...every 3 days or so. Hope this info helps!

CURRENT LIQUIDATION GAME SALE INFO

The first 800 HWV store closings have finished and all stores are beginning the process over again. You will need to check in with your area store periodically about current discounts because each store is different. Current Speculation is that all stores will be closed within 10 weeks...so by July.

I do not have a master list of prices unfortunately. Most stores have gone through and price stickered the older games. There is a possibility of the newer games being price stickered as well, but until then, you will have to inquire about the price with the employee. Most prices for the newer games in the computer range between $30-$50 and then take whatever their current discount is off that price.

ALL other Deals at HWV Closing stores:

These discounts below are taken from my store's last week of closing. Just to give anyone an idea as to how low your store may go.

80% off Used DVDs higher than $14.99
80% off Used Rental Blu-Ray (range from $2-$5!)
80% off all Used Games including transferred Game Vault games
80% off all New Games
80% off Novelties (Toys, posters, game guides, board games)
80% off New DVDs
80% off New Blu-Ray
80% off Candy, Snack, & Drinks
80% off Accessories
80% off Hardware

$1.99 each Used New Release Rentals
.99 cents Core Collection DVD rentals or 6 for $5
$1.98 Core Collection Blu-Ray rentals
$1.99 Used DVDs priced $14.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $12.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $9.99
.99 Used DVDs priced $5.99

Used Games listed Under $29.99 in computer (YMMV)

:360:
50 Cent Blood on the Sand
Ace Combat 6
Afro Samurai
Alone In the Dark
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Damnation
The Darkness
Dead Rising
Destroy All Humans Path of Furon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable II
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fight Night Round 4
Ghostbusters
Gears of War 2
GTA 4
Guitar Hero 2
Guitar Hero World Tour
Halo 3
Halo Wars
HAWX
Infinite Undiscovery
The Last Remnant
L4D
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Mirror's Edge
Mortal Kombat vs DC
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden
Overlord
Phantasy Star Universe
Prince of Persia
Prototype
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Shaun White Snowboarding
Silent Hill Homecoming
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Street Fighter 4
Tenchu Z
Terminator Salvation
Tetris Evolution
Timeshift
Tomb Raider Underworld
Too Human
Velvet Assassin
Vesperia
Vikings
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
Bad Company
Bigs 2
Bionic Commando
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Civilization Revolution
Clive Barker's Jericho
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Eternal Sonata
Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer
Fallout 3
Far Cry II
Fuel
Ghostbusters
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Grid
GTA 4
GT5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf out of bounds
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Metal Gear Solid 4
Midnight Club: LA
MLB 09 The Show
Mortal Kombat V DC
Need For Speed Carbon
Need For Speed Underground
Overlord
Pure
Ratchet & Clank Tools of the Future
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Rock Band 2
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill Homecoming
Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge
Sonic Unleashed
Soul Calibur 4
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Timeshift
Trivia Pursuit
Uncharted
Up
Virtua Tennis 3
Wanted
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania

:wii:

Alone In the Dark

Big Brain Academy
Big League Sports
Bigs 2
Boom Blox I & II
Carnival Games
Conduit
Deadly Creatures
Dead Rising Chop
De Blob
Donkey Kong Barrel
Elebits
Family Feud
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero World Tour
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Mario & Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Power Tennis
Metal Slug Anthology
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
My Sims Kingdom
Need For Speed: Proshift
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sonic Black Knight
Soul Calibur Legends
Spongebob Truth or Square
Star Wars Light Saber Duels
Stars Wars The Clone Wars
Stars Wars The Complete Saga
Super Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Up
WarHawk
Wario Land Shake It
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Wii Music
Zack & Wiki ($9.99)

:ds:
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Call of Duty
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrrow
Digimon Wold Dawn
GTA China Town Wars
Harvest Moon
Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Lego Batman
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs Dalmation, Lab, etc
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum
Professsor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Scribblenauts
Rhythm Heaven
Yoshi's Island

:psp:

Class of Heroes
Dissidia-Final Fantasy
FiFa Soccer '10
God of War
Motor Storm Arctic Edge
Patapon
Resistance
Sims 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Star Wars Force Unleashed

Hollywood Video Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a Hollywood Video Rental account in order to take advantage of any trades
- You must sign up for a new Hollywood Video account at every store you wish to trade at (Each store is separate)
- Employees cannot access your trading/purchase history from store to store
- You may get a price quote print out before you decide to trade-in any games
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your Hollywood Video account or onto a giftcard (Only in $5 increments)
- Trade-in credit can only be used on the account it is placed unless you take the giftcard option in which you may use it at any Hollywood Video/Game Crazy/Movie Gallery location

Any Forum Trades; please visit http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230651

Special Ordering Used or New Video Games

Beginning December 14th, ALL Hollywood Video stores will have the ability to place New & Used GAME Special Orders. Customers who cannot find games or accessories can place a Special Order and have it shipped from any Game Crazy/Game Zone store to their Hollywood Video for pick-up.

* Shipping Fee is $6.00 (Possibly per game if being shipped from different locations)
* Most Special Orders arrive within 7 days of ordering
* Outlet Stores do not participate in Special Orders, so YMMV on all stores.

Special Orders include:

Strategy Guides
New & Used Controllers
New & Used Games
New & Used cables, cords, and accessories
Toys & Figures

There is a list of product either on a waiting list or permanently out of stock; I may include this at a later point when I have more time. It's quite long.

Important notes (please read these before posting questions):

1) 99% of these deals will NOT work in a Game Crazy. They have their own deals; please refer to http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234882 These deals will also more than likely NOT work at a Hollywood Video with a Game Crazy attached! However, Movie Gallery may or may not have some of these same Game deals! "Movie Gallery bought Hollywood Video", hence the reason for some of the same sales at either HWV or MG.

2) Hollywood Video employees will need to scan a coupon code in order for any game to be discounted.

3) Hollywood Video's store hours vary from location to location, especially with all the store closings. Please call.

4) If you would like to contribute to any game deals, please when posting, include game, system, price, city and state.
For example:
Dragon Quest VIII, PS2, $4.99
Tampa, FL (Temple Terrace)

5) Hollywood Video's are mostly movie rental stores (games are not as important to them to keep up on), thus, always double check on sticker prices because 50% of the time they are probably stickered wrong. ;)

6) Do not trust the store locator at HollywoodVideo.com Google it and call first. That store might already be closed!

7) Hollywood Video does not do cash back if a game is damaged or you "already own it". Used games have a 90 day guarantee. You have a few options: swap for same title, swap for a different title if they do not have it, or using the disc buffer machine to try and fix the game. Hollywood Video also does disc buffing for personal items at a $1 per disc.

8) ALL sales are FINAL during the closing sale. Usually within the first few weeks of the sale if you do purchase something that does not work they MAY swap it for you. YMMV!!!

Previous HWV Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

***I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions/adds to the OP! Either post here or even PM me if you'd like.
Thank you and I hope everyone finds some excellent deals!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... Fortunately (for me, anyway) I think I burned up all my credit on that last $4.99 sale. Don't hold out hope for any deals if they get liquidated though. Those sales are run by pros and they won't let anything go at prices close to the $4.99 deal. I seem to remember the CC liquidation being pretty much a huge waste of time with most gaming items never dropping to less than you could get them for elsewhere during sales or deals anyway. These "liquidation" sales thrive on the appearance of super cheap close-out items and they fool enough people into buying 20 or 30% off stuff to make it pretty worthless for a typical CAG.

So I'd much rather see them pull it out somehow and not have to close so many stores - both for the employees we know on CAG and for the awesome deals they've had (both at HWV and GC) over the last couple of years.

I wonder if this will affect Game Crazy stores? I'm guessing it probably will since a closing of a Hollywood with a GC means the GC goes too. I think it's time I spent that GC credit.

This is such a shame. The employees are my local HWV are all good people. I hope they land on their feet if/when they close.

[quote name='io']Wow... Fortunately (for me, anyway) I think I burned up all my credit on that last $4.99 sale. Don't hold out hope for any deals if they get liquidated though. Those sales are run by pros and they won't let anything go at prices close to the $4.99 deal. I seem to remember the CC liquidation being pretty much a huge waste of time with most gaming items never dropping to less than you could get them for elsewhere during sales or deals anyway. These "liquidation" sales thrive on the appearance of super cheap close-out items and they fool enough people into buying 20 or 30% off stuff to make it pretty worthless for a typical CAG.

So I'd much rather see them pull it out somehow and not have to close so many stores - both for the employees we know on CAG and for the awesome deals they've had (both at HWV and GC) over the last couple of years.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking. Corporate professional liquidation sales = no deals. The fact that these are used games/movies in rental cases may make it more likely that they have to sell it in house...at least I hope so. :D Not everyone is willing to buy them in that condition at anywhere near used market prices, unlike the new stuff Circuit City had.

Movie Gallery made a royal screwup when they acquired Hollywood. MG is in all the small towns where there are no other video alternative and people are slower to use services like Netflix. HWV is almost exclusively in markets that already had an overflowing amount of Blockbusters. A great lesson on why it's better to be in a niche market than to expand.

[quote name='8bitlover']More news today. Looks like there going under.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/mo...vie-gallery-hires-restructuring-lawyers-18268[/QUOTE]

thanks for finding this. I will have to print out and post at work...I really think my mgr is in total denial that we're going under! I mentioned the other article the last time I was at work and he blew it off saying we had already closed that many stores and are fine. hah. thankfully everyone I work with, including myself, have other jobs to fall back on...well except my delusional mgr.

when movie gallery first bought us I was so confused as to why they would...I hadn't even heard of them until they purchased hwv. what a dumb move.

...yikes...yea if I had hwv credit I'd probably use it up now just in case. ...well u could at least wait till 2/10 when the next sale is just to see what it may be.

Going to be a lot of people like your manager from stores like HWV, Blockbuster, FYE, and others (probably Borders) who have made a career of those stores and then get the shaft. Then there's all the part time help who use it as a second job or a small source of income who will be hurt. When's that economic revival supposed to happen again?

The recession has nothing to do with this. Its just an outdated business model. Video stores are on there way out either way.

Yeah, but in a good economy, a lot of shabby businesses can survive. When there's a downturn, everything that's stayed afloat suffers worse than others. Don't get me wrong, a lot of companies like Movie Gallery only have themselves to blame, it's just that the economy has hurried their demise.

I dunno, I think it has more to do with the business model in general here. Last night I stopped in my local HWV to use one of my GC rental coupons (I have two more - for Feb and Mar that I can still get to use hopefully!) and the place was packed with people renting games and movies. There was even a family buying a stack of crappy-looking used games. I guess there's still some sort of deal going on (B1G1 on $14.99 and under maybe?) because they were talking about which ones would be free. Keep in mind they were buying disc-only garbage PS2 games. But still, any sale HWV can make on those is positive for them ;).

But this HWV is in a small town - though it does share the small town with a Blockbuster as well. Both do pretty good business though and both have (so far) survived all the cuts their respective companies have made. So, my point is this store, at least, seems to bring in pretty good revenue (even now, or perhaps more so because of the recession - what with "staycations" and all that). But clearly something is screwed up at the corporate level.

I think io has a point there. The HWVs that have shut down in my area tend to be the nicer, higher traffic areas (this is true og the BBVs that have shut down as well). This makes sense to me, not only are the rents higher for those locations, but the customer base is probably much more likely to have switched over to Netflix, which makes those higher rents totaly unsustainable for those locations. What this says to me is that all of these kinds of stores near malls or high volume retail areas are probably already gone, or will be soon. They may survive if they pull back into more "neighborhood" kind of stores or totally relegate themselves to a little more suburban/rural areas. Then again, it seems like it may already be too late.

[quote name='ackbar7']I think io has a point there. The HWVs that have shut down in my area tend to be the nicer, higher traffic areas (this is true og the BBVs that have shut down as well). This makes sense to me, not only are the rents higher for those locations, but the customer base is probably much more likely to have switched over to Netflix, which makes those higher rents totaly unsustainable for those locations. What this says to me is that all of these kinds of stores near malls or high volume retail areas are probably already gone, or will be soon. They may survive if they pull back into more "neighborhood" kind of stores or totally relegate themselves to a little more suburban/rural areas. Then again, it seems like it may already be too late.[/QUOTE]

The idea about high volume stores seems to be true. Just found out that the two high-traffic retail HMV/GC locations in my area (the only HMV locations near me) appear to both be closing due to rising rent. One of them even stated that they had the highest sales in their district the past year, but corporate still said to shut down.

Unfortunately there aren't any closeout sales coming with this either since all leftover stock will be sent to any HMV/GCs left standing.

You're both right on point, which is why Movie Gallery never should have bought HWV in the first place. Movie Galleries are mainly located in small towns with little to no competition. There's one near me and it has zero competition other than a Redbox at Walmart for a 30 mile radius at least. MG took on a ton of debt to buy HWV, which crippled both stores. Then you add the economic downturn with HWV often being in competitive markets, and it's going to kill them off entirely.

I once checked into renting a building a former Blockbuster had been in for a music venue I was opening. You wouldn't believe what their rent was per month in the location.

There's also the saturation Blockbuster and HWV did in certain locations. I know of one suburb where there were two Blockbusters, a HWV, and a locally owned rental store within a couple miles of each other. Now the HWV and the local place are gone, and you know a BB has to be next.

Sometimes you've gotta wonder if there are people running these companies or a team of monkeys.

[quote name='ackbar7']I think io has a point there. The HWVs that have shut down in my area tend to be the nicer, higher traffic areas (this is true og the BBVs that have shut down as well). This makes sense to me, not only are the rents higher for those locations, but the customer base is probably much more likely to have switched over to Netflix, which makes those higher rents totaly unsustainable for those locations. What this says to me is that all of these kinds of stores near malls or high volume retail areas are probably already gone, or will be soon. They may survive if they pull back into more "neighborhood" kind of stores or totally relegate themselves to a little more suburban/rural areas. Then again, it seems like it may already be too late.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='skinkrawl']You're both right on point, which is why Movie Gallery never should have bought HWV in the first place. Movie Galleries are mainly located in small towns with little to no competition. There's one near me and it has zero competition other than a Redbox at Walmart for a 30 mile radius at least. MG took on a ton of debt to buy HWV, which crippled both stores. Then you add the economic downturn with HWV often being in competitive markets, and it's going to kill them off entirely.

I once checked into renting a building a former Blockbuster had been in for a music venue I was opening. You wouldn't believe what their rent was per month in the location.

There's also the saturation Blockbuster and HWV did in certain locations. I know of one suburb where there were two Blockbusters, a HWV, and a locally owned rental store within a couple miles of each other. Now the HWV and the local place are gone, and you know a BB has to be next.

Sometimes you've gotta wonder if there are people running these companies or a team of monkeys.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I worked at the hwv up in grand forks, nd for about a year and that place was always packed with people. This, of course, was 6 years ago when the economy was better, but it was the only hwv in town. Next closest was fargo...there are a couple blockbusters but being in a smaller town it has been able to survive. I do wonder if they have been hurting lately.

Now..my next store I worked at was here in tampa next to a mall and close to the University. HIGH rent. We closed down about a year n' half ago because of that fact! We always did great business. I loved that store.

I do mostly blame MG for buying HWV...that hurt them a lot. And they have been making bad decisions ever since... ...powerplay? uuuuuhhh...stupid. All of these closing of stores have hurt the ones still open. It is so hard for me to sell powerplay or any type of subscription when you cannot guarantee to the guest that we will be open in the next month!

Yeah, once that avalanche starts, it's tough to keep customers loyal.

I've seen a Blockbuster in a small town that was literally packed all day and night. It had no competition whatsoever and was always doing brisk business. Now even those stores will have to worry because Redbox will move in. They can throw one of those in any grocery or decent-sized store, and I saw a Blockbuster box in front of a convenience store the other day.

The thing I hate about Redbox is that it will eliminate all older movies, so people will just know about the current ones (which is usually a bunch of Shaq Fu).

[quote name='super_dawn']Agreed! I worked at the hwv up in grand forks, nd for about a year and that place was always packed with people. This, of course, was 6 years ago when the economy was better, but it was the only hwv in town. Next closest was fargo...there are a couple blockbusters but being in a smaller town it has been able to survive. I do wonder if they have been hurting lately.

Now..my next store I worked at was here in tampa next to a mall and close to the University. HIGH rent. We closed down about a year n' half ago because of that fact! We always did great business. I loved that store.

I do mostly blame MG for buying HWV...that hurt them a lot. And they have been making bad decisions ever since... ...powerplay? uuuuuhhh...stupid. All of these closing of stores have hurt the ones still open. It is so hard for me to sell powerplay or any type of subscription when you cannot guarantee to the guest that we will be open in the next month![/QUOTE]

What!? That's where I am! Grand Forks. I used to go there 6 or so years ago so I've probably seen you before haha. Still here and still frequent the store often. Especially during the great $5 game sales. I've traded in quite a bit there too. I like the manager and he is always really happy and grateful that I trade in games. A few months ago they switched to one of the only $18.99 games or lower, but I'm going to get FFXIII from him with some credit I have.

[quote name='anthfett06']What!? That's where I am! Grand Forks. I used to go there 6 or so years ago so I've probably seen you before haha. Still here and still frequent the store often. Especially during the great $5 game sales. I've traded in quite a bit there too. I like the manager and he is always really happy and grateful that I trade in games. A few months ago they switched to one of the only $18.99 games or lower, but I'm going to get FFXIII from him with some credit I have.[/QUOTE]

:) Probably..I was always the afternoon girl. I worked 12-5 weekdays. And always on Sundays shrinkwrapping Previously Viewed movies...ugh..I am so good at that. Glad we don't have to do that anymore.

My mgr was Dwight at the time...but I believe he left. My assistant mgr was Nate..and Rick ...no idea if they're still there. I wasn't a shift leader when I worked there. ...do you know if its still a pretty busy store? I have never worked at a busier store since then! Seriously. I remember we always had to bundle up and check the outside drop box almost once an hour on weekends. When I first started here in tampa...we checked it twice throughout the night and it was never that full.

I lived in Grand Forks for 11 years...dad was stationed at the base. So yea...grew up going to CHS and graduated from UND... go sioux!!! :D

Whoa, small world. The Hollywood video down here in Moorhead is always as dead. I worked at one down in Minneapolis in the Calhoun area and that one was always swamped, I don't think the high rent equation means much. Then again, I used to live up in Grand Forks as well around the time you worked there and I don't think it was ever packed when I went to HWV so maybe my frame of reference is off.

CHS grad here too. Not UND tho. But the only guy I really know at the HWV here is the store director Chad. Never really see many others because I always go to the store in the afternoon when Chad is working. There are always at least a couple customers in the store when I go, even in the afternoons. Always see cars there on the weekends too. So I sure hope they don't close. Business seems good for them.

Oh I've thought of going down to the Moorhead store during the $5 sales but never have. Are they pretty well stocked starman9000? You say its always dead so maybe they have some good games still...

[quote name='anthfett06']

Oh I've thought of going down to the Moorhead store during the $5 sales but never have. Are they pretty well stocked starman9000? You say its always dead so maybe they have some good games still...[/QUOTE]

I made out pretty well the last sale (just got a 360). I honestly didn't look at a lot of PS3 games or Gamecube, as I don't really bother with flipping, but they did have a decent selection for at least a week. They are back down to scraps right now though.

I hope they don't close, as they are about the only used game on this side of the river and the employees are pretty cool, but it was probably 90% rentals there, so if you care about cases/completeness, it's not the best place to go.

I may have to stop down there if they have another $5 sale. Just PS3 for me so I won't be invading on your territory haha. I know what you mean tho, if you're in Moorhead then it's a bit of a drive to 45th St. to get to the only Gamestop in town. Well, I guess there is still a Software Etc. at West Acres but that's almost just as far. It boggles me how there is just the one GS in Fargo/Moorhead when us here in GF have 2 within one mile.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. We do have Rock 30 games (pretty decent) and a few of those Vidcycles, but I'm not a huge fan of their prices, and they are all a ways for me to go as well.

I'll let you know if there are any good PS3 deals there next sale, their little wall of games is basically 1 section 360, 1 section about 1/2 PS3 and PS2, and 1 seciont 1/2 WII, 1/4 DS and 1/4 GC. Not the best.

Yeah we have a Rock 30 here too. Overpriced tho. If you are looking for old games it is definitely the place to go. They have lots of old SNES, GBA, PS2, you name it. Vidcycle...I forgot about them. Used to buy PS2 games from them a few years ago.

[quote name='anthfett06']Yeah we have a Rock 30 here too. Overpriced tho. If you are looking for old games it is definitely the place to go. They have lots of old SNES, GBA, PS2, you name it. Vidcycle...I forgot about them. Used to buy PS2 games from them a few years ago.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they expanded to another location, the old Take Two by Scheels. Most of the prices are poor though, but I guess it's something.

[quote name='skinkrawl']Yeah, but in a good economy, a lot of shabby businesses can survive. When there's a downturn, everything that's stayed afloat suffers worse than others. Don't get me wrong, a lot of companies like Movie Gallery only have themselves to blame, it's just that the economy has hurried their demise.[/QUOTE]

This is why some economists feel that economic downturns make the economy stronger in the long run. Those downturns weed out the weak players and create opportunities for new business models. Sucks for the people working for those weak companies though.

Yeah, it becomes survival of the fittest. It just sucks for people like us who are into games, toys, movies, music, etc, because those stores are the ones being hit hardest. I fear one day the options for shopping in an actual store will be Best Buy and Wal-mart.

[quote name='mogamer']This is why some economists feel that economic downturns make the economy stronger in the long run. Those downturns weed out the weak players and create opportunities for new business models. Sucks for the people working for those weak companies though.[/QUOTE]

Maybe true, but it seems these days that what is good for the economy is not necessarily good for consumers and employees. In the past boom, banks screwed consumers with fees and trickery, allowed borrowers to max out debt, and thus their own profits soared. Corporations off-shored work en mass to cheaper foreign countries, kept unions out and wages low, and downsized making every surving employee take up the slack...their profits soared. Both added to GDP and expanded the economy but only seemed to help the executives and maybe stock holders.

The weak maybe weeded out but the survivors have less competition and can raise prices for their own benefit eg. how ebay can keep raising fees endlessly because their is no "real" competition. I fear Gamestop will take advantage of this major trade in alternative, GC/HWV closing down. My parents live in Hawaii and their are no other places to trade in games there...as such they don't seem to run the trade in promos we have in the upper 48. They don't need to.

Yeah, I've become more pesimistic in my old age! LOL I need to stop reading the news.

[quote name='Toss']Maybe true, but it seems these days that what is good for the economy is not necessarily good for consumers and employees. In the past boom, banks screwed consumers with fees and trickery, allowed borrowers to max out debt, and thus their own profits soared. Corporations off-shored work en mass to cheaper foreign countries, kept unions out and wages low, and downsized making every surving employee take up the slack...their profits soared. Both added to GDP and expanded the economy but only seemed to help the executives and maybe stock holders.

The weak maybe weeded out but the survivors have less competition and can raise prices for their own benefit eg. how ebay can keep raising fees endlessly because their is no "real" competition. I fear Gamestop will take advantage of this major trade in alternative, GC/HWV closing down. My parents live in Hawaii and their are no other places to trade in games there...as such they don't seem to run the trade in promos we have in the upper 48. They don't need to.

[/QUOTE]

While what you say is true, what can be done? Poorly run companies will go out of business. Movie Gallery made a huge mistake with the purchase of HWV, and now they're paying the price. At least Blockbuster has been trying different things to stay afloat. MG/HWV/GC are still stuck in the 90's. I mean jeez, they still don't have an online store.

Not old age, Toss (though I wonder how "old" you really are compared to me ;)). You are spot on, unfortunately.

By the way, you can now use the store locator to see which stores near you are closing. Just 5 of the closest 16 HWV stores to me are closing. Unfortunately one of them is my local store (just 1/2 mile from my house). This is the one that is always pretty packed and seems to do great business. Another is one of the better $4.99 sale stores. It seems they spared all the Gamecrazy stores though. Still, with all these closures following upon the heals of a bunch just a few months ago I'd be hard pressed to do much trading or preordering at the remaining stores anyway.

[quote name='mogamer']While what you say is true, what can be done? Poorly run companies will go out of business. Movie Gallery made a huge mistake with the purchase of HWV, and now they're paying the price. At least Blockbuster has been trying different things to stay afloat. MG/HWV/GC are still stuck in the 90's. I mean jeez, they still don't have an online store.[/QUOTE]

True.

Thanks for the info on using the store locator. The local HWV isn't closing thankfully, but the movie gallery is. It says Closing Sale on the site for that store, so I will be going to check it out. They have never really had games at that store, but maybe I'll find a few good movies.

We need to compile some info on what these closing sales are. I'm going to go tonight or tomorrow, I'll post what I find.

Every store around me is staying open except my local one (Magnolia, AR).. pretty hilarious. Not that I'll miss it or anything though. They never had good stuff during the $5 sales. Maybe now I'll finally be able to get that copy of Ico I've seen for rent there...

I just heard that Movie Gallery is shutting down most of the sotres in NE Indiana withing the first quarter of this year :( so much for my sweet deals...

I went in to my local store and the guy there correctly assumed I already knew they were closing (he brought it up to me - I wasn't going to say anything as there was no indication yet they were closing or having any sales or such).

Here's the story I got from him: they have another 4 week "rental" period, meaning business as usual. Then after that they will have another 4 week period when they will have sales and start to shut down. He gave me the customer service number and said I could call in and complain about that store closing as apparently many locals are doing. If this one closes we have to drive 10 miles to the next closest HWV stores which pretty much means they lose us as customers. There is still a BBV in this small town and as in many other places it looks like BBV will get a short-term boost from their closest and most direct competitor throwing in the towel.

[quote name='anthfett06']CHS grad here too. Not UND tho. But the only guy I really know at the HWV here is the store director Chad. Never really see many others because I always go to the store in the afternoon when Chad is working. There are always at least a couple customers in the store when I go, even in the afternoons. Always see cars there on the weekends too. So I sure hope they don't close. Business seems good for them..[/QUOTE]

Chad sounds familiar...but only because I think I saw him the last time I went to check out the store about a year ago when I was last up there. I never worked with him. I'd say what year I graduated...but being a chick that'd give away my age! lol According to the store locator my old store is okay, but it looks like they're closing the MG in EGF! That's too bad... Altho I hardly went to EGF unless it was for Blue Moose or Whiteys.

[quote name='anthfett06']Yeah we have a Rock 30 here too. Overpriced tho. If you are looking for old games it is definitely the place to go. They have lots of old SNES, GBA, PS2, you name it. Vidcycle...I forgot about them. Used to buy PS2 games from them a few years ago.[/QUOTE]

Ah Rock 30 games..! I really like their store for old stuff...I actually bought a couple games on their website too and had them shipped to me.

[quote name='io']
By the way, you can now use the store locator to see which stores near you are closing. Just 5 of the closest 16 HWV stores to me are closing. Unfortunately one of them is my local store (just 1/2 mile from my house). This is the one that is always pretty packed and seems to do great business. Another is one of the better $4.99 sale stores. It seems they spared all the Gamecrazy stores though. Still, with all these closures following upon the heals of a bunch just a few months ago I'd be hard pressed to do much trading or preordering at the remaining stores anyway.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! Is it worth it for me to compile a list of all the closing stores? I wouldn't mind.....but I don't even know if its worth it. (edit: nevermind...I'm just going to put a link to the store locator..easy to see which stores are closing through that. duh.)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']http://www.cnbc.com/id/35219744/site/14081545/for/cnbc/

Movie Gallery filed for Chapter 11 for the second time in three years.

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for them.

The story says they're closing 805 stores.[/QUOTE]

It is. :) It's gotta be... ....bad news on my end too. I work one freakin' day a week at my store and the day I work happens to be the day we find out we're closing! LOL 10 minutes before I opened the store today I get a call from our new liquidator Bob with all the info. After I get off the phone with him my mgr calls to tell me the news...haha...that I already know. Then the St. Pete Times calls to get some info outta me ...
...as far as I know our store is starting the liquidation process tomorrow. Now my mgr said we still will be renting for now, but obviously no more selling subscriptions or new memberships. So far the details are the same from the last two stores I've closed down. So looks like a good 4-6 week process....805 stores probably doing the same thing so hopefully I will be able to provide some of my last, but helpful info to this thread.

Sorry to hear that you're losing your job again, Dawn. Although, I think you said that HWV is only your second job.

EDIT: I just checked and 2 of the stores by me are closing, though both are Movie Gallery stores that I never was able to find during the last $5 sale. Both of my local HWV stores are staying open....for now.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sorry to hear that you're losing your job again, Dawn. Although, I think you said that HWV is only your second job.

EDIT: I just checked and 2 of the stores by me are closing, though both are Movie Gallery stores that I never was able to find during the last $5 sale. Both of my local HWV stores are staying open....for now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Yes, luckily just my second job. But still....it was really nice to have that one day a week, get some gas money, and rent unlimited video games...gonna miss it. But I am thankful we are doing a liquidation sale...I hope to get some good stuff before we go. ;)

Looks like I may call around to plan a road trip, as my local one is surviving somehow. Might as well check it out, and have some fun while i'm there.

called my local stand alone HVW said they are closing...they are waiting on sign age and they will probably have sells next week...said they will sell everything in store including games...can't wait!

anyone know when this goes into effect for closing stores...better yet...how hwv usually does mark down during liqudation sells.

I haven't been to a liquidation sale yet that didn't start out crappy. I have always shown up either too early (when the selection is great but the discounts suck) or too late (discount is great but there is nothing to buy).

Edit: I am just saying that it may be awhile before any good deals are to be found, Especially since you will probably be getting some scratched up game with HWV cover art on it.

[quote name='josh62488']called my local stand alone HVW said they are closing...they are waiting on sign age and they will probably have sells next week...said they will sell everything in store including games...can't wait!

anyone know when this goes into effect for closing stores...better yet...how hwv usually does mark down during liqudation sells.[/QUOTE]

I'll give updates as my sale goes...should closely follow nationwide to the 800 or so other stores closing. But yea...like some said...they sales start off pretty crappy in the beginning.

bread's done
Back