*Official* NBA PLAYOFFS 2007 discussion

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'd just like to be clear on this...

Why do people consider him the "chosen one"? Isn't Kobe still around? Or is this a like a line of chosen ones and he's the next to take that pedastel once Kobe retires?

Not trying to spark an argument here, I'm just curious...[/quote]Probably because Kobe was the "chosen one," but he has not become the next Michael Jordan, so he's yesterday's news, and we have to find a new Michael Jordan quickly. The sport can't be without a Michael Jordan!

Hopefully the Cavs can make a game of it at home for game 3. If not then maybe the Spurs will have a semi-let down for game 4 on the road. So far this has been a pathetic final series.

[quote name='mr ryles']I wouldn't put money on it. But I'm fightin for em.[/QUOTE]

Darn, I was about to ask if you wanted to put up a little PayPal on that. :mrgreen:

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'd just like to be clear on this...

Why do people consider him the "chosen one"? Isn't Kobe still around? Or is this a like a line of chosen ones and he's the next to take that pedastel once Kobe retires?

Not trying to spark an argument here, I'm just curious...[/QUOTE]

It seems as if every other draft, there is a player labelled "The Chosen One", in terms of the next Bird, Magic, Wilt, or Jordan.

Although, LeBron does have a tattoo of "CHOSEN-1": (last picture down)
http://www.lebronjameslive.com/tattoos/
Now that is a heavy chip on your shoulders.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Because we all know playing a good game completely clears his slate of any wrong doing. It's that assinine type of logic that was used to set OJ free :roll:
[/quote]

I think I've got the right to get excited when my favorite team is about to win the finals...

I realize that one game won't do it, but we're not going to get back into that crap, 5 blocks is pretty nice though

[quote name='thamaster24']I think I've got the right to get excited when my favorite team is about to win the finals...

I realize that one game won't do it, but we're not going to get back into that crap, 5 blocks is pretty nice though[/quote]Yes, he's an excellent defensive player. He's also a punk bitch. That settled? Continue.

[quote name='botticus']Yes, he's an excellent defensive player. He's also a punk bitch. That settled? Continue.[/quote]

Not quite after that... future HOF

now settled

[quote name='thamaster24']Not quite after that... future HOF

now settled[/quote]

If Robert Horry makes the hall of fame, you can buy a cat and mail it to me, and I will eat the motherfucker on video for you. That's how certain I am that will never happen.

[quote name='botticus']Probably because Kobe was the "chosen one," but he has not become the next Michael Jordan, so he's yesterday's news, and we have to find a new Michael Jordan quickly. The sport can't be without a Michael Jordan![/quote]

I think LeBron took Kobe's place when Kobe started getting caught sodomizing white women.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']If Robert Horry makes the hall of fame, you can buy a cat and mail it to me, and I will eat the motherfucker on video for you. That's how certain I am that will never happen.

I think LeBron took Kobe's place when Kobe started getting caught sodomizing white women.[/QUOTE]

Horry will never make that Hall, despite his soon to be 7th championship. He just chose to be on winning teams - maybe he would of made more money elsewhere. Who knows? But lucky number 7 will be his last.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']If Robert Horry makes the hall of fame, you can buy a cat and mail it to me, and I will eat the motherfucker on video for you. That's how certain I am that will never happen.

I think LeBron took Kobe's place when Kobe started getting caught sodomizing white women.[/QUOTE]
truer words have never been spoken..

the only people in the HOF in the future I care about seeing in is AD, Karl Malone, Stockton, Sloan.. and possibly Jeff Hornacek.. and of course Ostertag..

so yeah.. the season's not over yet?.. if the spurs win one in cleveland will it be over?.. then again.. the cavs have got to win 1 game right? LeBron gets his 1 game..

LOL. The fact that there is even a discussion about Horry being in the HOF is pretty amusing. Malone and Stockton are obviously going in. Hornacek might get in (I always loved his game). Mark Madsen has a better chance of getting in than Ostertag. :D

How is the most clutch player in sports history* not going into the basketball HOF? He definetly doesn't have the greatest stats, but hell, the man will have seven rings and be a key factor in at least five of them.

*-Possible exception of Steve Kerr.

I agree, you don't win that many championships by *luck*. Teams don't just sign anyone. Horry is not a dirty player and he will be in the hall of fame.

Oh btw, forearm to the jaw #3 by Lebron James and he doesn't get called for it. I hope Bowen flykicks the shit outta James.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Well, why not ask the people that actually know basketball then:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/horryro01.html

Horry will not be in the HoF, scroll down and see his HoF probability for yourself. It's not happening.

Career averages of 7.2 pts and 4.9 rbs do NOT get you into the HoF, I can't believe we're even having this silly discussion.[/quote]

I know this is a huge factor, and he probably won't make it into the hall because of this, but I guarantee he will at least be a candidate at some point. Name another player in the history of the NBA other than the Bill Russell Era (and his teammates in that 10-11 year span), who has won 7 championships. In this day and age of basketball great players haven't won as many as he has. Yes, he has played on great teams with great big men and unstoppable guards. But if he's smart enough to get on these teams then make the clutch shots to win championships, then I don't see why he can't at least get a bid.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Well, why not ask the people that actually know basketball then:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/horryro01.html

Horry will not be in the HoF, scroll down and see his HoF probability for yourself. It's not happening.

Career averages of 7.2 pts and 4.9 rbs do NOT get you into the HoF, I can't believe we're even having this silly discussion.[/QUOTE]

Then feel free to stop having it.

HOF voters don't go only by statistics.

C'mon, you guys are joking right? How many HoF guys didn't even START half the games of their career?

Name a HoFer with numbers as low as Horry's. There were guys on the Celtics teams of the 60s that were part of the team that won 8 straight titles, and those guys aren't all in the HoF just because they have so many rings.

Horry may have helped win them, but using that logic, Steve Kerr and John Paxson should be in the HoF and Vinnie Johnson sure as hell should, but they're all not, because the HoF doesn't take those types of players and they won't take Horry.

I'll make that offer to all of you that want, if Horry gets in the HoF (as a player) mail me a cat and I'll eat it on video for you and post it on youtube.

[quote name='thamaster24']Name another player in the history of the NBA other than the Bill Russell Era (and his teammates in that 10-11 year span), who has won 7 championships. [/quote]

Oops, I missed that part! Still though, just winning 7 titles doesn't get you in the HoF. Just means you picked good teams to play on! Horry wasn't responsible for any of those titles, he was down on the roster well after the actual HoFers and future HoF guys like Olajuwon, Drexler, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Parker, Ginobli, etc.

Thanks Lebron for passing the ball to Varejao who tried to go up against Duncan. Must be a De Ja Vu(pistons game) for him, he should've kept the ball and shot it or give it to a good shooter instead. I don't even know what Varejao was thinking either.

With all the 3s the Cavs missed, they could've won the game if they didn't shoot them. Also I don't know why Lebron was trying to complain to the refs that he was fouled at the last second, he wasn't in the act of shooting so it would've been 2 FT.

Now I know you're out of your gourd if you think Parker and Ginobli belong in the HOF over Horry. Yet another example of stats meaning shit.

Let me put it this way: If Parker has sex with Eva Longoria like he plays basketball, he's going to run full tilt at the bed, run into one of the bedposts, and jerk off while falling in a random direction.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Now I know you're out of your gourd if you think Parker and Ginobli belong in the HOF over Horry. Yet another example of stats meaning shit.

Let me put it this way: If Parker has sex with Eva Longoria like he plays basketball, he's going to run full tilt at the bed, run into one of the bedposts, and jerk off while falling in a random direction.[/quote]

Wow
You don't know how hard that made me laugh. Not that I agree with your portrayal of his game- I like how much his game has improved in the last couple of years.

That was just really funny to me for some reason.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Now I know you're out of your gourd if you think Parker and Ginobli belong in the HOF over Horry. Yet another example of stats meaning shit.

Let me put it this way: If Parker has sex with Eva Longoria like he plays basketball, he's going to run full tilt at the bed, run into one of the bedposts, and jerk off while falling in a random direction.[/quote]

Ya, I didn't word that very well. I did NOT mean that Parker or Ginobli should be in the HoF. Nor should Horry though, the guy has just been on the right teams, when it comes down to it he's very overrated. Tis much easier to hit "clutch" shots when no one is guarding you.

lebron definitely got fouled at the end, but it wasn't in the act of shooting so it only would have been 2 shots (if they were in the penalty) so spurs still woulda won most likely

[quote name='swetooth9']lebron definitely got fouled at the end, but it wasn't in the act of shooting so it only would have been 2 shots (if they were in the penalty) so spurs still woulda won most likely[/quote]

Well, he was only arguing because he was upset. If he thought about it today, he wouldn't have wanted the foul either.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Tim Duncan is the most underrated great player I have ever seen. Guy is just awesome.[/quote]

The very definition of consistency over the past decade.

[quote name='primetime']Well, he was only arguing because he was upset. If he thought about it today, he wouldn't have wanted the foul either.[/quote]

It should have been a continuation play though...He was fouled right before shooting and gets three shots.
Oh yeah, I want to kick Bruce Bowen in the balls.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Tim Duncan is the most underrated great player I have ever seen. Guy is just awesome.[/quote]
It is pretty much agreed upon that he is the greatest player in the universe (Mars and Venus included). It is the casual watchers who don't know who he is even though his personal achievements rival Michael Jordan (All NBA First-Team and Defensive First-Team almost every year he has been in the league, Rookie of the Year, MVP awards, rings). So he isn't really underrated, he is just not hyped and known like a Kobe Bryant. Elton Brand, now that is an underrated player.

[quote name='Kendro']It is pretty much agreed upon that he is the greatest player in the universe (Mars and Venus included). [/quote]

I think these guys might disagree...

spacejam.jpg

[quote name='bigtymer']It should have been a continuation play though...He was fouled right before shooting and gets three shots.
Oh yeah, I want to kick Bruce Bowen in the balls.[/quote]

No, just no. You wouldn't even get a continuation on that play in grade school. A touch foul like that is just simply not going to cause 3 FTs at the end of the game. That would be idiotic and unfair.

[quote name='uberzone']I don't think that phrase means what you think it does.

Go Spurs.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah? Lebron also has a "Witness" tattoo. He is too full of himself..I blame the media, hyping him up to Jordan/Magic standards.

I can hear it now, Cavs win game 4.......the ESPN analysts proclaims Cavs in 7.

GO Spurs GO.

Juwan Howard -> Wolves
Mike James -> back to Houston

With the finals pretty much over, let the weird trades begin!

Obviously a better deal for Houston, James was great in Detroit, and having him on our bench was one of the biggest reasons the Pistons won the title in 2004.

What a trade that was, Lindsey Hunter (who was released by Boston and re-signed by Detroit), Zeljko Rebraca & Bob Sura for Rasheed Wallace and Mike James.

[quote name='2Fast']Juwan Howard has to be the most expendable player of all-time.[/quote]

One of the most disappointing too. That draft had some bigger let-downs though, Sharone Wright, Yinka Dare, Donyell Marshall and Eric Montross immediately come to mind. All high draft picks, that amounted to so little. Big Dog was taken #1 that year too, and despite being a primo scorer in the league, he never really took any of his teams anywhere. At least Hill and Kidd panned out, minus injuries.

Wow. Totally forgot Game 4 was tonight. The only thing that slightly interests me about the Finals now is whether Tim Duncan or Tony Parker will be getting the Finals MVP. I thought they were pretty even (maybe a slight edge to Duncan) but I'm looking at tonight's box score and he is playing like ass while Parker is playing like a superstar (10/12 from the field).

[quote name='thamaster24']At least some good news comes out of the Finals for LeBron, his second child Bryce Maximus James was born earlier today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-lebronsbaby&prov=ap&type=lgns

Happy for LeBron, but c'mon marry her already... eh that's a whole different issue[/quote]

Nonsense, the great news is the NBA has learned LeBron can't draw ratings for shit. Hopefully they'll take a look at these record low setting ratings and not give this jerk so many calls next year in the play-offs.

Although, following that same logic they'll try to get Wade back in there (even harder) instead.

Sweeeeeeeeeeep.

I love how Lebron always gets the call his way. He clearly pushed off Duncan when Duncan tried to block his shot.

Edit : Tony Parker will get MVP IMO.

[quote name='Kendro']Wow. Totally forgot Game 4 was tonight. The only thing that slightly interests me about the Finals now is whether Tim Duncan or Tony Parker will be getting the Finals MVP. I thought they were pretty even (maybe a slight edge to Duncan) but I'm looking at tonight's box score and he is playing like ass while Parker is playing like a superstar (10/12 from the field).[/quote]
Duncan wasn't hitting shots early, so he stopped shooting and got rebounds and blocks and let the hot shooters take over.

Congrats Spurs on another well-earned title
Congrats Michael Finley for your first title

99' 03' 05' 07' Spurs are 4 of 4 in the finals

Edit: forgot to mention talk of a dynasty, but with all the anti-spurs stuff in the thread I thought I wouldn't mention it... 4 titles in 9 years is a dynasty though

I'm really glad Michael Finley got a ring. All I saw was white on his face because he couldn't stop grinning. :D

I don't know why Dan Patrick even bothered to ask Duncan about Parker getting the Finals MVP. There are players who say they don't care about stats because it is the "right" thing to do, and then there are players who truly do not care about stats (ie. Tim Duncan).

[quote name='Renegade_Zero']I really wish the Spurs would have won at home, I hate listening to the away crowd booing during the trophy ceremony.[/quote]

Because the NBA is filled with a lot of shitty fans in general these days. The Cavs are some of the worst.

Probably right up there with Utah and obviously Detroit... :shame:

[quote name='thamaster24']
99' 03' 05' 07' Spurs are 4 of 4 in the finals[/quote]

Pretty damn good, still not 6/6 like Chicago though. The Celtics are crazy good in the finals too, like 16-3 I think.

Yeah i'm glad Michael Finley got the ring too, its a shame Mavericks let him go, he was the heart and soul of the team. How long is his Spurs contract anyways?

The Spurs are the least selfish teams from what i've seen. I'm surprise Tony Parker stepped his game up, I really didn't like it when he shot the 3s but i'm glad they went in.

The Spurs should've went to the Finals and won it last year but the refs screwed them over in game 7 against the Mavs. Just like the refs screwing over the Mavs in the Finals.

bread's done
Back