Official NHL 16 Discussion/CAG Team Thread - EASHL Is Back! Join The Hershey Nuggets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSVR is really good. If you have a chance go test it at Gamestop. A lot of the Reddit forums are saying its beating out Oculous. Its just amazing that it runs on a PS4.
Yeah, one thing I didn't consider...somebody suggested that since that game was actually made by nVidia, they're probably inflating the "requirements" in an effort to sell more GPUs. I briefly tested the game, and it seems to run fine (though it was on low settings).

Honestly, the most impressive thing about the game is the physics. Things actually collide, bounce, and shatter as they should. And that stuff takes a stupid amount of processing power. That could be one of the big differences. But in all fairness, it's entirely possible to have a great time in VR without having completely true to life physics. So, even if that's something PSVR ends up lacking, people might not even notice.

As for Oculus, they mostly buried themselves. Not having the Touch controllers ready until 9 months after the Rift launch, their incredibly draconian approach to software, their half-assed shift in focus to mobile, etc. The CV1 itself is really well made, and you can tell they spent a lot of time and money developing it. But they screwed up their business model pretty badly along the way.

An interesting VR fact I noticed today while looking through new releases on Steam. So far this month, 47 Vive games/demos have been released. The number of Rift games/demos released on Steam this month? 8. Now, that doesn't account for the Oculus store...but it's been regarded as being pretty lacking anyway (I just counted...even on there, there are only 52 games total).

And even if it wasn't, Oculus is retarded if it thinks its store can compete with Steam. I actually have quite a few Rift games that are on the Oculus store (DIRT Rally, ADR1FT, Project CARS, Shufflepuck Cantina, BlazeRush). Guess how many I bought from the Oculus store. Zero, lol.

Geez...I like how their answer for almost every question asking to add something really beneficial and significant to the game is some form of "Yeah, that would be awesome! But we're not very smart and it would probably break something that we wouldn't know how to fix!"

It really gives you the sense that the online modes are hanging by a damn thread. They can't give you more than one pause or allow you to substitute your goalie because it could faceoff loop or desync the game. You can't have custom camera angles because that has to be translated for online games and the servers would explode.

At what point do those excuses translate to "we're not very good at programming"?

Haha, I just saw the demo on Steam and downloaded it. About to boot it up with my DK2/PSMove combo and see how it runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez...I like how their answer for almost every question asking to add something really beneficial and significant to the game is some form of "Yeah, that would be awesome! But we're not very smart and it would probably break something that we wouldn't know how to fix!"

It really gives you the sense that the online modes are hanging by a damn thread. They can't give you more than one pause or allow you to substitute your goalie because it could faceoff loop or desync the game. You can't have custom camera angles because that has to be translated for online games and the servers would explode.

At what point do those excuses translate to "we're not very good at programming"?

Haha, I just saw the demo on Steam and downloaded it. About to boot it up with my DK2/PSMove combo and see how it runs.
Let me know how it translates. Could save me a little bit of money

Let me know how it translates. Could save me a little bit of money
Well, the Moves themselves worked very, very well with this one. Movement was flawless. The only issue I had seemed to be something even Vive users were having a problem with. For whatever reason, the developers put some stuff that you have to interact with outside of what you define as your play area.

So, what happens is...if you have a wall there or it's a place where your trackers just can't see the controllers anymore, you can't reach the damn thing. There's a workaround of telling Steam that your play area is smaller than it actually is, but it's still kind of dumb to have to do that. Also, the demo is pretty short. Really only a couple minutes of gameplay.

I love being able to use the Move controllers to play Vive games...and the setup isn't super hard. But I've never used a Vive, so I can't really say how much better/easier that is to use. But for me, and many others, this project actually fulfilled the promise of affordable VR.

I recorded a video in case you're curious to see how it works. It took forever to get the damn thing to pass Youtube's copyright filters. I had to remove one of the songs in the middle of the demo to keep the video from being blocked in the US. Anyway, if you don't want to watch it because of spoilers, that's cool. People on Steam didn't believe me when I said that PS Move controllers can work as Vive wands, so I wanted to make this to show them too, haha. :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R4EF6FdTnY[/youtube]

OMG...we're finally getting back most of the features from NHL 09, lol. Custom hair and eyebrows. Woohoo!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=P90HCaBgmm4[/youtube]

Admittedly, arena creator looks pretty sick. I actually like the community rink, haha.

I love the small arena, think I'll be using that one non stop in Be-A-GM mode.

Looks like you can change the hats they throw for you and I see about 40 celebrations.

"Once the puck drops the game is officially on! Any teams that quit as this point earns a loss, while the team still playing earns the win"

"All teams get one pause."

https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2016/nhl-17-gameplay-series-eashl?utm_campaign=nhl17_hd_ww_ic_ic_yt_eashl-yta-071916&utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=social&cid=9756&ts=1468941109112

"Once the puck drops the game is officially on! Any teams that quit as this point earns a loss, while the team still playing earns the win"

"All teams get one pause."

https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2016/nhl-17-gameplay-series-eashl?utm_campaign=nhl17_hd_ww_ic_ic_yt_eashl-yta-071916&utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=social&cid=9756&ts=1468941109112
I'd be fine with this if they could actually guarantee a smooth online experience. But now, if you get a bad connection, you're just screwed.

Wonder how many people will intentionally run big downloads in the first minute to see if they can lag the game and get people to quit.

I believe so. If you're a preview member, you can play it free though, I won't be back till Monday day night. I miss you guys on Friday. I might be able to play a few games on 17 on Thursday or Friday night.

I believe so. If you're a preview member, you can play it free though, I won't be back till Monday day night. I miss you guys on Friday. I might be able to play a few games on 17 on Thursday or Friday night.
Oh, wow. That's cool. I never got in the preview program (Brandon sent an invite, but MS must still be mad at me, because I didn't get anything from them, haha).

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the 17 beta. I'm ready to douche it up and see if they've managed to fix anything. :lol:

I like the look of the new UI...but thats unfortunately all lol.

Why are we excited for We Happy Few? I Know they did Contrast, but I thought the general consensus on that was "meh"

I like the look of the new UI...but thats unfortunately all lol.

Why are we excited for We Happy Few? I Know they did Contrast, but I thought the general consensus on that was "meh"
Seems to have an interesting premise. Art style is really cool. And given the dev's history, I'm hoping it has a decent story behind it. That said, a $30 asking price and an "early access" status doesn't make it a right away purchase for me.

But I really liked Contrast. I thought it had a great story and the gameplay was very creative. For me, it was just drenched in style and originality. I loved almost everything about it.

Just got my NHL 17 beta code email. I was hoping redeeming it would let me download it early. But it just tells you "you now own NHL 17 beta". Wonder if they'll unlock it at midnight tonight or if we'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Douche shot is alive and well. I only had time for one game and I didn't want to try online.

So, I loaded up a single player HUT game against the Bruins, position locked at center, and put 4 douchers past Rask with Colton Sissons of all people.

I recorded all of them, so they're on my Xbox activity feed for now.

At first glance, the gameplay doesn't feel much different. Some things are a little different, but EA will probably also patch them back to how they were last year.

Pretty sure the biggest improvement to the game will be features that they took out and are putting back. Well, and arena creation. Arena creation seems like the most legit new thing.

Also, rosters are old as hell. I only looked at the Preds, but they still had Weber and Hutton. I also didn't see the new player classes...unless that's EASHL exclusive or something.

This series is so weird. The douche shot definitely works...but holy crap, in online versus, the goalie play is phenomenal. I was the Preds and my opponent was the Kings, and both of us had some great chances, but Rinne and Quick just gobbled up everything. It was 0-0 with each team having 18 shots when we finally went to the shootout.

Also...one penalty the entire game. And we were both getting very spammy....with stick lifts and poke checks. It's definitely easier to knock the puck loose though, and cross creases didn't connect nearly as often.

So, add all that up and this is probably what people will complain about on the EA forums:

1. "Goalies are too good"

2. "Can't hold on to the puck at all (as opposed to the real solution which is...actually have penalties)"

3. "Players miss passes for no reason"

Actually, on that last one, I honestly got the sense that aiming passes is even harder than last year. The puck seems to be a bit floatier in its nature, so both the aim and power of passes feels different. Not necessarily bad. Just different.

Also, if anybody wants to play tonight, I should be able to be on around 9-9:30 ET. Ready to be Khum Dhan...again. :lol:
I should be on around 10 PM. I need some hockey!!

At 90%, yeah, Parents 10MB kills me lol. Maybe 10:30 or 11 Sadly. Have company at my parents house still.

As per reddit "Also, to be noted, the more aggressive you have your AI set to the more they will try to stick lift to get the puck back (full attack/aggressive)"

As per reddit "Also, to be noted, the more aggressive you have your AI set to the more they will try to stick lift to get the puck back (full attack/aggressive)"
Yeah, that's kind of the basis of what led me to trying those settings last year. Just the "Oh, God...AI please just do anything" defense. :lol:

Going to be on earlier tonight if anyone wants to get an early start. I should be able to play in like 10 minutes. Staying up late during the week is crushing me right now. My daughter starts pre-school next week, so we've been getting her used to the early wake up at 6am. Or what I refer to as "Never Time". Suuuuuucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back