Official Ratchet & Clank Future Thread

well gamespot gave it a 7.5

BAD:
There's some good humor in it, but the story isn't very interesting, and the ending is a letdown So many different, often unnecessary gameplay mechanics that the game lacks an identity Difficulty is too easy and only the last hour or so is remotely challenging.

GOOD:
Shooting and platforming gameplay is fun Lots of different and useful weapons Beautiful, colorful visuals Tight controls.

7.5 is imo for games that have something fundamentally wrong with them... like bad visuals, choppiness, too short, bad controls. They couldn't find a damn thing wrong with the gameplay so they crap on the game with things that are just a matter of their own 'opinion.' "different often unnecessary gameplay mechanics that the game lacks an identity" - now if the game didn't have different gameplay mechanics it'd be though of as repetitive. Game is too easy.. Bioshock had the same issue- 9.0; Bioshock's game was freezing - 9.0. I find it funny that the 3 highest rated games on the PS3 are Oblivion, Rainbow Six, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma all xbox games; games that had already been reviewed and they couldn't show as much bias as they did with the other PS3 games. Resistance 8.6... Warhawk 8.5,

[quote name='seanr1221']Isn't that offer over tomorrow? Who is going to trade this in in one day? :lol:[/quote]

Looks like it is. (I thought it ended Friday:oops:)

Gamestop near me usually gets bratty kids trading in their shit really quick though due to them not liking it, or wanting something else. We'll see before they close tommorrow. :D

So did they fix the screen tearing from the demo? I didn't play the PSN demo, but the disc one from GameStop. That had terrible issues with screen tearing. For those who have it, how is it? I don't like professional reviews. I like gamer opinions.

[quote name='Kendal']So did they fix the screen tearing from the demo? I didn't play the PSN demo, but the disc one from GameStop. That had terrible issues with screen tearing. For those who have it, how is it? I don't like professional reviews. I like gamer opinions.[/QUOTE]The PSN demo had no tearing issues and looked much cleaner (Gamestop demo was an old demo before E3). The PSN demo also added menus and other stuff. I'll have my copy later today.

Damn you Sony for not releasing the DS3 here until Spring. I'm gonna have to wait it out on this and watch everyone else have a good time with the game.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Damn you Sony for not releasing the DS3 here until Spring. I'm gonna have to wait it out on this and watch everyone else have a good time with the game.[/QUOTE]It's not coming yet to the U.S. partially due to patent issues with Immersion. In Japan, releasing DS3 isn't currently an issue right now (one reason it took a long time for the U.S. to get the original dual shock controller (U.S. got a dual analog instead) had to do with someone else owning a patent in the U.S.).

The disc includes FW 1.94 which enables rumble.

When you press the PS button in the game, you see an option for vibration now.
Not that it helps any of us. :(

Yes Asia is selling preorders. It'll work fine with Ratchet and GT5P demo.

It'll be released in a couple weeks.
I have a white one preordered.

[quote name='dallow']The disc includes FW 1.94 which enables rumble.

When you press the PS button in the game, you see an option for vibration now.
Not that it helps any of us. :([/QUOTE]

try using a DS2 via usb and see if it enables that rumble.

Just picked mine up at the mall, I was just too impatient to wait for it. I love it so far. There are some new ways to upgrade your weapons which is pretty neat.

[quote name='linkpwns']Didn't this come out yesterday? I see it on Ebgames.com...[/quote]

They start shipping on the 23rd, but stores don't get it til the next day

Got the last copy at my GS, with the 10% coupon..

paid 57 with tax, but this is why I bought a PS3 :)

[quote name='Thomas96']well gamespot gave it a 7.5

BAD:
There's some good humor in it, but the story isn't very interesting, and the ending is a letdown So many different, often unnecessary gameplay mechanics that the game lacks an identity Difficulty is too easy and only the last hour or so is remotely challenging.

GOOD:
Shooting and platforming gameplay is fun Lots of different and useful weapons Beautiful, colorful visuals Tight controls.

7.5 is imo for games that have something fundamentally wrong with them... like bad visuals, choppiness, too short, bad controls. They couldn't find a damn thing wrong with the gameplay so they crap on the game with things that are just a matter of their own 'opinion.' "different often unnecessary gameplay mechanics that the game lacks an identity" - now if the game didn't have different gameplay mechanics it'd be though of as repetitive. Game is too easy.. Bioshock had the same issue- 9.0; Bioshock's game was freezing - 9.0. I find it funny that the 3 highest rated games on the PS3 are Oblivion, Rainbow Six, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma all xbox games; games that had already been reviewed and they couldn't show as much bias as they did with the other PS3 games. Resistance 8.6... Warhawk 8.5,[/quote]

I saw that today. How they can put Ratchet and Clank on the same scale as "Guilty Gear Wii Rehash" is beyond me. So far they are the only review site I've seen to rank it that low. Everyone else easily puts this in the 90+ or 9.0 range.

One of the reasons I visit gamespot less and less nowadays.

[quote name='Kendal']I caved. It is in my coat, still sealed. Going to play it tonight. Can't wait.[/quote]
Are you sure you didn't get Bonestorm?

[quote name='mtxbass1']I saw that today. How they can put Ratchet and Clank on the same scale as "Guilty Gear Wii Rehash" is beyond me. So far they are the only review site I've seen to rank it that low. Everyone else easily puts this in the 90+ or 9.0 range.

One of the reasons I visit gamespot less and less nowadays.[/QUOTE]

Based on the demo alone, I don't see what people are getting so uppity about. Well, except for Mana Knight, he's so two-dimensional I saw his insane rant coming a mile away. Otherwise, a 7.5 is a completely acceptable score, and the review did make a good case. Are they right? Perhaps on a technical level, but everyone's opinion is bound to vary at some point. Personally, I would have probably rated the game a 4/5 (8/10 for teh simpletons).

Speaking of Mana Knight, as a budding (and still very novice) reviewer himself, he should learn to keep his mouth shut when it comes to the reviewing business. At least if he plans to go anywhere with it.

I opened it as soon as I got home. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in open lab right now and can't plat it more. Still, I absolutely love the game so far. I can see this being my GotY, topping R&C: Size Matters on PSP. ;)

So is it just me, or you can't start mid-level, I thought I hit a save point, I saw the gears grind, but now I have to start all the way at the begining of the game, am I missing something?

[quote name='Wombat']So is it just me, or you can't start mid-level, I thought I hit a save point, I saw the gears grind, but now I have to start all the way at the begining of the game, am I missing something?[/QUOTE]That's been Ratchet & Clank for years. If you quit the game, you start back at the beginning. If you die, you start back where gears turned.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']That's been Ratchet & Clank for years. If you quit the game, you start back at the beginning. If you die, you start back where gears turned.[/QUOTE]

ok thats what i thought, thanks

[quote name='Thomas96']try using a DS2 via usb and see if it enables that rumble.[/quote]Hasn't worked unfortunately.

Yo Frisky! Nice joke.

[quote name='dallow']Hasn't worked unfortunately.

Yo Frisky! Nice joke.[/QUOTE]

did the controller work, or was it working DS2 w/ no rumble?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Are you sure you didn't get Bonestorm?[/quote]

I don't get it?

Anyway, the game is awesome! It isn't anything new, but it is a solid game. The camera is sometimes wonky, but nothing game breaking or horrible. I am glad I picked it up. I needed a reason to play with my PS3. I actually put down Halo 3 to play this game. Weird, a series I don't care for(Halo) sucks me in and I play it(Halo 3) every day since it's release. Never thought that would happen. This game makes me remember the good about the series and forget about Deadlocked. That game was a let down. This totally makes up for it.

I'd love to match up posters who thought Zelda's 8.8 was perfectly reasonable to their comments about "Oh noes! 7.5 for R&C!" but that would be petty, even for me.

So at least for the sake of consistency, I'd be amazed if 7.5 was an accurate score. Heavenly Sword scored higher? By a full point? Um, no. I'll reserve judgement until I really get my hands on R&C, but I can't believe that Sony's best franchise (yes, better than GoW and anything from Naughty Dog, IM-not-so-HO) isn't quite as good as WARHAWK.

[quote name='trq']I'd love to match up posters who thought Zelda's 8.8 was perfectly reasonable to their comments about "Oh noes! 7.5 for R&C!" but that would be petty, even for me.

So at least for the sake of consistency, I'd be amazed if 7.5 was an accurate score. Heavenly Sword scored higher? By a full point? Um, no. I'll reserve judgement until I really get my hands on R&C, but I can't believe that Sony's best franchise (yes, better than GoW and anything from Naughty Dog, IM-not-so-HO) isn't quite as good as WARHAWK.[/QUOTE]Look at the average scores on Gamerankings. Ratchet averages much higher than Warhawk. Also, they BOTH had different reviewers at GS.

[quote name='Kendal']I don't get it?[/quote]
Simpsons reference. When Bart steals a copy of Bonestorm, he puts it in his coat pocket, which is what your post reminded me of.

Lowest 3 reviews from Metacritic...

Gamespot 75
The game just can't decide what it wants to be. The story tries to be epic in its scope and appeal to an older audience, but the game is extremely easy and the story's premise is thin and the ending disappointing. The core gameplay of shooting and platforming is as solid as ever, but it's diluted by too many uninteresting minigames and unnecessary gameplay mechanics.

GameSpy 80
Sadly, Ratchet & Clank Future has no multiplayer component to speak of, which bothers us both because we love multiplayer and because the series had a bit of a multiplayer groove for a while.

1Up 85
An uninspired story, a glitchy weapon, and a sometimes-unwieldy camera don't damage Ratchet beyond repair. The irresistibly addictive jumping-shooting-collecting-upgrading gameplay is as powerful here as it's ever been, and the optional collectibles, side-missions, and unlockable Challenge mode offer a really satisfying amount of play time.

Gamespy -20 points for lack of multiplayer in a game that a traditional one player game.

1up -15 for one bad weapon, bad story, and a camera that's a problem 'sometimes'

Gamespot -25 cause the game is easy and offers variety in minigames and "unnecesary gameplay mechanics" [yesh that Card game in Mario 3 really ruined the whole damn game for me... ]

with critics like these who can make a perfect game; I don't feel like Gamespy and Gamespot really reviewed Ratchet and Clank - the game, to me they just reviewed the title. Gamespy gave Zelda 100, and then said "the game isn't perfect" - due to frustrating controls but oh it's fucking zelda and we're so excited that we'll overlook it and just give it a perfect score. Bull... pure Bull.. All I want is for people to review the GAME and not the title.

[quote name='Thomas96']Lowest 3 reviews from Metacritic...

Gamespot 75
The game just can't decide what it wants to be. The story tries to be epic in its scope and appeal to an older audience, but the game is extremely easy and the story's premise is thin and the ending disappointing. The core gameplay of shooting and platforming is as solid as ever, but it's diluted by too many uninteresting minigames and unnecessary gameplay mechanics.

GameSpy 80
Sadly, Ratchet & Clank Future has no multiplayer component to speak of, which bothers us both because we love multiplayer and because the series had a bit of a multiplayer groove for a while.

1Up 85
An uninspired story, a glitchy weapon, and a sometimes-unwieldy camera don't damage Ratchet beyond repair. The irresistibly addictive jumping-shooting-collecting-upgrading gameplay is as powerful here as it's ever been, and the optional collectibles, side-missions, and unlockable Challenge mode offer a really satisfying amount of play time.

Gamespy -20 points for lack of multiplayer in a game that a traditional one player game.

1up -15 for one bad weapon, bad story, and a camera that's a problem 'sometimes'

Gamespot -25 cause the game is easy and offers variety in minigames and "unnecesary gameplay mechanics" [yesh that Card game in Mario 3 really ruined the whole damn game for me... ]

with critics like these who can make a perfect game.[/quote]

yeah really "lack of multiplayer" lol sometimes games are made for multiplayer(sports games, fps) and sometimes some games just dont need it. i guess they can score the games without multi player lower than usual because "we love multiplayer":drool:

I always find gamespots reviews to be out to lunch in some way or another. While I find ign to be a tiny bit generous, I find their scores (relative to their other scores) to be pretty good. (I know it is not chic to like ign).

In the case of multi-player in a game like ratchet, I don't think it is a minus, but maybe a bonus if it did have it.

I will pick this game up, but not until after I have finished uncharted. If it had local co-op, I probably would have got it today, as I am always looking for a game to play with my son.

This is the problem with giving games a numerical score. GameSpy's review was mostly positive, but it found a few faults; they gave the game a "4/5 - Great!" on their rating system ... MetaCritic translated that into 80%. Instead of saying it got a great review, people are focusing on the numbers, not the content.

[quote name='Thomas96']did the controller work, or was it working DS2 w/ no rumble?[/quote]Controller works, but no rumble.

I bought my PS3 in annticipation of this game, and have no regrets so far.

Some observations:

- While platforming, a bit of Ratchet's foot touched green swamp, resulting in an instant death. I recall most other R&C games not being at nitpicky.

- Combat with some enemies is more lenthy, as least before you power up weapons. The guys with shields and some of the granade lobbers are quite hard to kill (in comparison with most R&C enemies).

- While flying with Clank's green wings, i touched the enviornment, resulting in an instant fail, and was sent back to the starting point. This happened so quickly, I didn't even know I made a mistake.

Does anyone know if we'll get yearly R&C games like we did on the PS2? I used to always look forward to October...

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I always find gamespots reviews to be out to lunch in some way or another. While I find ign to be a tiny bit generous, I find their scores (relative to their other scores) to be pretty good. (I know it is not chic to like ign).

In the case of multi-player in a game like ratchet, I don't think it is a minus, but maybe a bonus if it did have it.

I will pick this game up, but not until after I have finished uncharted. If it had local co-op, I probably would have got it today, as I am always looking for a game to play with my son.[/quote]

Not to get too off-topic, but I think that's a good point about IGN. They seem to give more high end scores than other sites, but from what I've seen they're good at being consistent.

You guys have to remember that this is a PS3 game, people are going to shit on it just to shit on it. Although 7.5 is a good score and probably means it's a worthwhile play.

[quote name='Blackout542']You guys have to remember that this is a PS3 game, people are going to shit on it just to shit on it. Although 7.5 is a good score and probably means it's a worthwhile play.[/QUOTE]

7.5 is a good score for Conan, (nice boobies!) but for Rachet & Clank its a little low - R&C is a AAA title for goodness sakes.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Does anyone know if we'll get yearly R&C games like we did on the PS2? I used to always look forward to October...[/quote]

Rumor is they are going to swap between Resistance and R&C every year, so that would make it every other year now.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Does anyone know if we'll get yearly R&C games like we did on the PS2? I used to always look forward to October...[/quote]
Doubt it. They Resistance to iterate on, too, so it's likely that they'll be alternating between the two series.

Edit: Instead of making another post about this, the second Inside the Developers Studio video is up now:

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJeQlrEEOx8[/MEDIA]

Played it for awhile last night/early this morning.

Great stuff. This is one of those games that's worth buying at release without second thoughts.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Rumor is they are going to swap between Resistance and R&C every year, so that would make it every other year now.[/QUOTE]

As long at they make one game a year, I'll be happy. But two years is a long wait for the sequel.

[quote name='InuFaye']Conan just got a 7.5 at gamespot. So basically Rachet = Conan?a :roll::roll::roll: O Gamespot how far have thy fallen.[/quote]

ROFl, that is laughable.

bread's done
Back