Official Rock Band Thread (It's out, bitches)

The only problem I can see regarding online multiplayer is that, who the hell is going to want to play bass... or even sing? Everyone is going to be fighting for the guitar/drum slots.

[quote name='yukine']The only problem I can see regarding online multiplayer is that, who the hell is going to want to play bass... or even sing? Everyone is going to be fighting for the guitar/drum slots.[/QUOTE]
I would say that is true for co-op in general (local or online). What I'm wondering is if each player can select a certain skill level for their given part when starting up. There's no way to discern it from the videos I've seen thus far, but maybe the reason the guitar/bass look lame relative to the drums is that the drummer is picking a more difficult mode for himself. Who knows.

I agree, though, that if all difficulty levels are similar, co-op will be a fight for the drums. I don't see singing being as neglected as bass because if HS garage bands taught me anything, it's that the world is full of assholes who think they can sing. Maybe restrict co-op to 3P and force the bassist to sing? Would make it more interesting.

[quote name='dothog']I would say that is true for co-op in general (local or online). What I'm wondering is if each player can select a certain skill level for their given part when starting up. There's no way to discern it from the videos I've seen thus far, but maybe the reason the guitar/bass look lame relative to the drums is that the drummer is picking a more difficult mode for himself. Who knows.

I agree, though, that if all difficulty levels are similar, co-op will be a fight for the drums. I don't see singing being as neglected as bass because if HS garage bands taught me anything, it's that the world is full of assholes who think they can sing. Maybe restrict co-op to 3P and force the bassist to sing? Would make it more interesting.[/QUOTE]

In one of the videos I watched on youtube it was very clear that each player chooses their own difficulty level before the song starts.

I don't see the big deal with playing bass. It looks to be as challenging as guitar on many of the songs we've seen.

As far as singing. Singers are going to be hard to come by.

[quote name='lordwow']As far as singing. Singers are going to be hard to come by.[/QUOTE]
I dunno. You'd be surprised by how many dipshits are willing to sing. BADLY. I'd be reluctant to take on vocals, but I'll do it provided I can wear my Stevie Nicks scarves and glare at the guitarist like he's Lindsay Buckingham.

[quote name='dothog']I dunno. You'd be surprised by how many dipshits are willing to sing. BADLY. I'd be reluctant to take on vocals, but I'll do it provided I can wear my Stevie Nicks scarves and glare at the guitarist like he's Lindsay Buckingham.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I meant GOOD singers are going to be hard to come by.

[quote name='dothog']I dunno. You'd be surprised by how many dipshits are willing to sing. BADLY. I'd be reluctant to take on vocals, but I'll do it provided I can wear my Stevie Nicks scarves and glare at the guitarist like he's Lindsay Buckingham.[/QUOTE]

goat.jpg

Survey. Who here expects to willingly lose the combo and such to sing the original Creep lyrics instead of the censored version in the game?

I know I would.

[quote name='Charron']Who here expects to willingly lose the combo and such to sing the original Creep lyrics instead of the censored version in the game?[/QUOTE]
The only way to censor Creep is to remove the guitar line altogether. That massive guitar crunch before the chorus is about as obscene and beautiful as rock gets. It just pisses all over the song, then lifts it up. It's amazing.

So long as that sonic burst assault stays in, I'd sing whistlin' dixie over the chorus. Take the word "fuck" out and you've still got Creep. Take out that guitar and you have jackshit.

[quote name='dothog']The only way to censor Creep is to remove the guitar line altogether. That massive guitar crunch before the chorus is about as obscene and beautiful as rock gets. It just pisses all over the song, then lifts it up. It's amazing.

So long as that sonic burst assault stays in, I'd sing whistlin' dixie over the chorus. Take the word "fuck" out and you've still got Creep. Take out that guitar and you have jackshit.[/quote]

*shrug*

I've always been one to really care about the lyrics. It's why I can't listen to The Pillows, even though the music seems to have potential- I can't understand a word they're saying.

[quote name='Charron']*shrug*

I've always been one to really care about the lyrics.[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying lyrics don't matter. I'm just saying that the word fuck isn't the reason the song was included, nor will it be the reason people want to play the song. IMO the most likely reason Creep was included is so that people can interrupt the song right before the chorus with a massive burst of sonic hooha from their mighty battle axe. Because that is unadulterated rock and roll, much moreso than the word fuck.

[quote name='dothog']I'm not saying lyrics don't matter. I'm just saying that the word fuck isn't the reason the song was included, nor will it be the reason people want to play the song. IMO the most likely reason Creep was included is so that people can interrupt the song right before the chorus with a massive burst of sonic hooha from their mighty battle axe. Because that is unadulterated rock and roll, much moreso than the word fuck.[/quote]
Obviously, the word isn't the reason, because they're using the radio edit that doesn't include it. I think we're working on slightly different wavelengths here, so I'm just gonna drop it as I didn't really have a point in the first place, other than I prefer the album lyrics to the radio cut ones.

[quote name='Charron']Obviously, the word isn't the reason, because they're using the radio edit that doesn't include it. I think we're working on slightly different wavelengths here, so I'm just gonna drop it as I didn't really have a point in the first place, other than I prefer the album lyrics to the radio cut ones.[/QUOTE]
Ah, I just assumed the survey was re: Rock Band. I mean, why wouldn't everyone prefer the original lyrics?

There are some censored songs that sound better without the swears. Take the entire 2 Live Crew catalogue. Tipper Gore is right about that one: you get a much better sense of melody and general harmony in the Crew's artistry without the "bad" lyrics. Also useful with the works of Celine Dion.

I cant wait for this, the only thing im not into will be the vocal part i think thats kinda gay actually

[quote name='rhg84']I cant wait for this, the only thing im not into will be the vocal part i think thats kinda gay actually[/QUOTE]
Huh? How is singing gay?

I've spent some time searching around the internet for articles on the PS2 version, and they all seem to be linking back to the same announcement which says that Rock Band is going to be available in Europe for the PS2 in early 2008. I'm still not clear on whether it will be released in the USA. Has anyone seen anything definitive on this?

[quote name='phoenix116']I've spent some time searching around the internet for articles on the PS2 version, and they all seem to be linking back to the same announcement which says that Rock Band is going to be available in Europe for the PS2 in early 2008. I'm still not clear on whether it will be released in the USA. Has anyone seen anything definitive on this?[/quote]
That's because there hasn't been any further news on it since then. It's very likely that they'll do it, so it's not like you will really need to worry much about it.

Singing in this online could be a lot of fun provided you don't follow the lyrics and sing about how awful the guitarist, bassist, and drummer are.

Yep. The Pixies are good, obviously, but the rest are shit. But I guess at this point that's kinda to be expected.

[quote name='Strell']I want some Weezer up ins![/quote]

Will you be in my band, Strellypants?

:oops:

That Hole song is such garbage.

They're good songs. I don't who I hate more: The Yeah Yeah Yeahs or their not-quite-pretentious-music-snobs-who-act-like-em fans (answer: Hole), but "Maps" should be a fun song to play.

The Pixies are always welcome, though. I don't think I know that particular Garbage song, but they have some good and some bad.

It's good to see a bit of genre-stretching in this game. Y'all metalheads are gettin' too snotty with how much of the entire game you think ought to be catered just to you.

[quote name='evanft']Uh...there already is a Weezer song in the game.[/QUOTE]

I don't follow that well.

MORE Weezer up ins!

I almost want to pass on this game now, as the song list has about 5 songs I want to play.

40$ a song, awesome.

As I say this though, I'll probably still end up picking it up just for the drums. Son of a bitch.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think I read somewhere that a bunch of Grateful Dead tunes are coming via DLC. Thankfully not included in the retail package.[/quote]

I'm not a fan of the Grateful Dead but it's still good news - I mean they are one of the last bands I'd think would be a part of this. If they deliver on the promises, DLC is going to make me go broke.

You bet. I'm going to buy "Who's Next" easily, and possibly also Nevermind (provided, of course, they lower the price standard set by GHII DLC).

[quote name='mykevermin']You bet. I'm going to buy "Who's Next" easily, and possibly also Nevermind (provided, of course, they lower the price standard set by GHII DLC).[/quote]

This is EA. If anything, they'll raise it. The GH2 packs did sell quite well, after all.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think I read somewhere that a bunch of Grateful Dead tunes are coming via DLC. Thankfully not included in the retail package.[/quote]
It's true, got the PR today:

Harmonix, the leading developer of music-based games, MTV Games, a division of MTV Networks within Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), and Rhino Entertainment, a division of Warner Music Group (NYSE:WMG), announced a deal that will bring the legendary band Grateful Dead to the highly anticipated music videogame Rock Band. The iconic group is making 18 master recordings from its diverse catalog available as digitally distributed game levels following Rock Band's release this holiday season. Among the songs available will be the classic Dead tracks "Truckin'," "Uncle John's Band," "Touch of Grey," "Sugar Magnolia," and "Casey Jones."

Like I said, at least it's DLC (one of the few holdovers from a bitter punk rock adolescence is a seething hatred for the Dead).

Now, to get Prince on board. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

[quote name='mykevermin']Like I said, at least it's DLC (one of the few holdovers from a bitter punk rock adolescence is a seething hatred for the Dead).

Now, to get Prince on board. MAKE IT HAPPEN![/quote]
AND THE MUTHAfuckIN TIME! CMON!

[quote name='bardockkun']AND THE MUTHAfuckIN TIME! CMON![/QUOTE]

YES!

Good quote though, but don't like Prince.

Now the grateful dead, I like :)

I agree with the sentiment that the song list isn't that great. I was kinda hoping for a more-popish song list, so at least most people who I invite over to play would know the songs or specifically the lyrics (and yes I know they're on the screen, but it helps to know them). But whatever, I'm still getting it at launch.

Okay, I looked through some posts but not all.
Few questions if anyone wants to help...

#1- Will they sell the game alone or do I have to buy a damn bundle? Because I'm actually fine with my Xplorer guitar from GH2.

#2- Can I just use the official Xbox 360 headset for my mic?

[quote name='valor19']Okay, I looked through some posts but not all.
Few questions if anyone wants to help...

#1- Will they sell the game alone or do I have to buy a damn bundle? Because I'm actually fine with my Xplorer guitar from GH2.

#2- Can I just use the official Xbox 360 headset for my mic?[/quote]
#1- According to Gamestop, Toys R'Us, Best Buy, etc. Yes

#2-According to the first post by the OP, no.

[quote name='bardockkun']#1- According to Gamestop, Toys R'Us, Best Buy, etc. Yes

#2-According to the first post by the OP, no.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I actually went back and read and did find the answers after I posted this, lol.

Someone over at the SA forums in their Rock Band thread said these songs were in the build of the game that's doing the whole toru thingie:

Soundgarden-Jesus Christ Pose
Red Hot Chili Peppers-Dani California

There is supposedly someone from Harmonix posting at the SA forums, and they said both these tracks were masters, confirming their inclusion. I won't add them until super-confirmation, though, just to be safe.

But big fat meh to both of them.

[quote name='evanft']Someone over at the SA forums in their Rock Band thread said these songs were in the build of the game that's doing the whole toru thingie:

There is supposedly someone from Harmonix posting at the SA forums, and they said both these tracks were masters, confirming their inclusion. I won't add them until super-confirmation, though, just to be safe.

But big fat meh to both of them.[/QUOTE]

Confirmed along with KISS' Detroit Rock City:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/10/new-rock-band-tracks-kiss-a-red-hot-chili-in-the-soundgarden/

bread's done
Back