OTT is Dead. OTT Remains Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, it's going to take alot of coffee to get through today.

I think I'll finish off the cave tonight. I don't think I'll be going back through with the other characters.
Too few puzzles, too much ladder climbing with slow animations. Too much back tracking.

And for a Ron Gilbert game, there's not much dialogue and what is really isn't that amusing.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']This is from a review of the new Ryan Gosling movie he did with the same guy who made Drive.[/QUOTE]

And I hated Drive so glad to know to avoid that movie.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']They'd never do that. Most of the early footage/promotional material for The Third also featured a male protagonist as that's the canon boss. Same thing with Shepherd from Mass Effect (until they got Femshep in the third one)[/QUOTE]

The early vids did show the default female lead using the dildo bat and I believe the Octopus gun also.

A huge fuck you to Dishonored. Took forever playing mission two without killing anyone and somehow I end up with one death. Probably some rats eating someone I knocked out. fuck it, time to go with my original play through plan. Sneak and kill whoever sees me.

I broke down and bought a 3DS XL. Target has em on sale for $174. Used my red card for 5% off.
Will wait till someone has a BOGO or similar sale and then pick up some Marios or Zeldas for it. Also want Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey and the new SMT game.

BrakCatRed.png

BrakCatRedMin.png

Finished the new season of Arrested Development and it's great. It starts a little slower since the style of storytelling is a bit different, so you spend the first few episodes getting an idea of what everybody's been doing the past few years.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I bet he secretly went to see Fast 6.[/QUOTE]

He saw it twice. The first time with a group of friends so he could pretend to make fun of it. The second time alone to study and admire it.

Hahahaha.

Alan Wake on sale on the Xbox dashboard. Got it for five. Not sure if I should get the dlc and American Nightmare too.

Looks like an HBO original movie (Beyond the Candelabra) and a new episode of Mad Men didn’t stop Americans from running to the movies this weekend. The weekend box office brought in a record-breaking $323 million in just three days, toppling 2011’s record of $276 million. In fact, Fast & Furious 6 alone nearly broke that record with a global estimate of $275.5 million, and a domestic holiday estimate of $122.2 million.

lulz

Me: Hey man, Fast & Furious 6 is out. Wanna fill up the flasks and go check it out?

Friend: Nah, Beyond the Candelabra is airing on HBO tonight.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why would people not go to the movies when there's a new episode of Mad Men or a movie on HBO?[/QUOTE]

This. Not everyone watches Mad Men or has HBO.

yeah, theaters were packed this weekend. I went to see Iron Man 3 finally and figured it wouldnt be packed since its been out a month...we literally got the last 3 seats in the theater.

[quote name='GamerDude316']yeah, theaters were packed this weekend. I went to see Iron Man 3 finally and figured it wouldnt be packed since its been out a month...we literally got the last 3 seats in the theater.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully I'll get to see Iron Man 3 and/or Star Trek sometime next week or so. I used to go to opening nights for movies like those, but nowadays I hate crowds. Not to mention it's much cheaper to see them during the day.

I'm going to give this beard about another 5 days to see if I can tolerate the constant itching. If not, it's gone and it's back to shaving every other day.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']Hopefully I'll get to see Iron Man 3 and/or Star Trek sometime next week or so. I used to go to opening nights for movies like those, but nowadays I hate crowds. Not to mention it's much cheaper to see them during the day.[/QUOTE]

I should be seeing Star Trek as well this week, looking forward to it.

Btw I give Iron Man 3 7.5/10. Better than IM2 at least.

When rating shit you only need a spread of 5.
1 turrible
2 didn't like it
3 liked it
4 good
5 great, must see.

When you go out of 100 then pretty much anything under 5.0 is wasted. It all sucks.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Finished the new season of Arrested Development and it's great. It starts a little slower since the style of storytelling is a bit different, so you spend the first few episodes getting an idea of what everybody's been doing the past few years.[/QUOTE]

I really liked it as well. Not as funny as the first three seasons, but funny.

I like Bioshock Infinite but am I crazy in thinking its a little too long? (although maybe thats because I'm exploring every nook and cranny)

Kinda surprised that the 360 version of Metro Last Light has been sold out for a few days.

So, I bought the Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition recently in an attempt to get into the series. I'm playing through the first Bioshock now and am a little over halfway through the story and not getting into it at all. Worst of all I have no desire to complete everything in it (rescuing every Little Sister, all diaries, etc). Thinking of trading it to Amazon for $18.90. Am I crazy for giving up on it?

[quote name='Maklershed']I like Bioshock Infinite but am I crazy in thinking its a little too long? (although maybe thats because I'm exploring every nook and cranny)

Kinda surprised that the 360 version of Metro Last Light has been sold out for a few days.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't a big fan of the game on my first play through, but found myself liking the game more when I went back a second time.

I tried Bioshock 1 a few years back or so and I couldn't get into either. It has atmosphere, but that's about it. It wasn't bad, mind you, just nothing great.

I guess I never got to the plot twist. I didn't think much of the story. It was atmospheric, as noted, but that was just a veneer.

The thing I liked about the first Bioshock was the sense of discovery. "Where am I? How did this world get destroyed? What are these things?" And then the twist. Excellent.

I could care less about how the guns feel or whether the combat sequences were balanced, all of that is gaming baggage that doesn't carry as much weight as a good story and setting.

[quote name='eldergamer']I could care less about how the guns feel or whether the combat sequences were balanced, all of that is gaming baggage that doesn't carry as much weight as a good story and setting.[/QUOTE]

This!

[quote name='Maklershed']Rybread have you watched any Deadwood yet?

Almost done with Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite just arrived :whee:[/QUOTE]

Deadwood just came in the mail yesterday. Now that I have Amazang Prime, I am going to finish watching The Larry Sanders Show before I start it.

I will say that the Deadwood packaging is really nice. I have flipped through it a couple of times.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Deadwood just came in the mail yesterday. Now that I have Amazang Prime, I am going to finish watching The Larry Sanders Show before I start it.

I will say that the Deadwood packaging is really nice. I have flipped through it a couple of times.[/QUOTE]

If you like Olyphant in Justified I think you'll like it- It's gritty, tense and character driven- prepare to hear lots of
"C@*KSUCKER!"

[quote name='eldergamer']The thing I liked about the first Bioshock was the sense of discovery. "Where am I? How did this world get destroyed? What are these things?" And then the twist. Excellent.

I could care less about how the guns feel or whether the combat sequences were balanced, all of that is gaming baggage that doesn't carry as much weight as a good story and setting.[/QUOTE]

You know, that's a good point. And one I'd agree with if I found the story interesting. But to me the world comes across as dark and dreary with very little character interaction. I've talked to maybe 4 people in this game. I read the twist and while it is cool, it wouldn't have grabbed me much since I'm not vested in the story. Just different strokes I guess.

Finished Infinite. A bit too long but very good. Crazy ending.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Deadwood just came in the mail yesterday. Now that I have Amazang Prime, I am going to finish watching The Larry Sanders Show before I start it.

I will say that the Deadwood packaging is really nice. I have flipped through it a couple of times.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't resist anymore. I went ahead and bought the bluray set too. I go through the entire series at least once a year. Protip: Get yourself a good bottle of whisky and make sure you have nowhere to go and nothing to do for the remainder of the day once you start watching it.

[quote name='DT778']I'm at a middle school graduation ceremony. Peach fuzz mustaches as far as the eye can see.[/QUOTE]

Kids sure have gotten short around here.thats what you get for taking the steroids out of their school milk.

[quote name='Maklershed']I like Bioshock Infinite but am I crazy in thinking its a little too long? (although maybe thats because I'm exploring every nook and cranny)

Kinda surprised that the 360 version of Metro Last Light has been sold out for a few days.[/QUOTE]

It's because unlike EA "limited edition" games with extra free content this was actually limited. My GS sold out in the first week and was resupplied last week but with regular copies, not limited edition.

My guess is sometime soon you'll seel regular editions on Amazon for the regular MSRP. LE on PS3 is also sold out now (except for the stores charging over MSRP just like on 360.)

The first Bioshock was actually kind of muddled, like it was trying to be a FPS, survival horror, and adventure game all at the same time.
I actually wish it would have dropped 90% of the combat and focused more on puzzles, like using your plasmid powers to solve puzzles and what not.

It really captured a sense of exploration and discovery. (What is this world? Who are these little sisters? where did they come from? etc, etc) That I see few other games do. It's not so much the story or the narrative, it's more the world, the discovery.

[quote name='eldergamer']The first Bioshock was actually kind of muddled, like it was trying to be a FPS, survival horror, and adventure game all at the same time.
I actually wish it would have dropped 90% of the combat and focused more on puzzles, like using your plasmid powers to solve puzzles and what not.

It really captured a sense of exploration and discovery. (What is this world? Who are these little sisters? where did they come from? etc, etc) That I see few other games do. It's not so much the story or the narrative, it's more the world, the discovery.[/QUOTE]

The first part of that would be really cool. I for one feel that the plasmids aren't used as well as they could be.

I guess I just didn't find anything great in the world setting though. The little sisters were interesting to find out about but everything else was so bland to me.

[quote name='crystalklear64']sneaky check out the new bodom album[/QUOTE]

Ehhh, I haven't listened to Bodom in years and years. No real interest in them anymore.

[quote name='crunchewy']IMHO, if you're looking for good stories in video games, you are looking the wrong, wrong place.[/QUOTE]

Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment, Silent Hill 2, etc would all like a word with you.

Morning, OTT.

Some other games that had a great story: Planescape: Torment (as Sneaky pointed out), Baldurs Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Fallout, The Witcher, Phantasy Star.

Sure, they are all RPG's and I guess you really can't delve too deep into a story with a 7-9 hour FPS...Deus Ex being the exception, but that had Role Playing elements to it. IMO, BioShock managed to pull it off.

I guess a lot of it has to do with the dialogue and the interactions between characters. Nobody did it better than early BioWare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back