Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection $9.99 New/$8.99 Used @ Gamestop

Joe Fongul

CAGiversary!
Feedback
172 (100%)
Gamestop, along with other retailers, have dropped the price for Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection to $19.99 or lower (as noted) for both 360 & PS3 as listed below.

Gamestop does not have the game available online, but you can utilize the retail store availability with the links below. New price is $9.99, & the used price for both versions is down to $8.99 if you can find the game in store (a steal IMHO)

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection (360)
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection (PS3)

Amazon currently has both the PS3 & 360 versions available online at a smooth $17.96, but the 360 version in currently as available for shipping in 2 to 4 weeks (but prior posts in this thread prove the wait to be much less...)

Walmart has the game in stock for both PS3 & 360. Both titles are at a $17.96 price point. Site to store can also be utilized if the game is not in stock locally & you want to save on shipping ;)

Other Retailers (360 Version)
Blockbuster $19.99
Meijer $19.99
Sears $19.99

Other Retailers (PS3 Version)
Blockbuster $19.99
Meijer $19.99
Radio Shack $19.99
Sears $19.99

Out of the 'other' retailers listed above, Radio Shack might be the best bet as they have the ship-to-store option available (too bad they only have the PS3 version in stock at the moment...)

Glad everyone found value out of the thread as well. If there are any retailers to add to the list, please let me know with a post or a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crazedracerguy']I so totally suck at this game... I am seriously going to trade it in somewhere this week. I ALWAYS sucked at pinball, so I don't know why I even tried :)[/QUOTE]

Try out different flipper timing and watch how the ball behaves. Flip when the ball is near the tip of the flipper at different ball speed. Flipping near the tip of the flipper means more speed and cause the ball to fly to the opposite side of the flipper more. Flipping near the joint of the flipper means slowing down the ball and causing it to fly closer to the flipper's side more. Or stop the ball by holding the flipper up, then let it slowly roll down and flip just where you want it to launch from.

Also learn how the ball behaves when you do different tilts. Remember that the ball is round and slippery... so if you tilt the table right, it's not the ball you're tilting... it's the table that is shifting right... This means, your LEFT flipper will now be closer to the ball. Though, do note that the ball will react to the right tilt and swerve right after the initial jolt. This is how I save my ball from going down the gutter or drain hole. Say your ball is flying toward the right gutter lane, quickly tilt the table RIGHT JUST before the ball enters the gutter lane. This will cause the divider (between the return lane and the gutter lane) on your table to shift right, which in turn causes your ball to hit the divider and bounce back into play instead of going down the drain.

Takes some practice and timing. :) After a while, you'll get a feel of where your ball will fly to at different flipper controls. That's when you'll have the table under your control and make things happen as you want it to.(of course, with luck still involved.)

[quote name='XClaude']Try out different flipper timing and watch how the ball behaves. Flip when the ball is near the tip of the flipper at different ball speed. Flipping near the tip of the flipper means more speed and cause the ball to fly to the opposite side of the flipper more. Flipping near the joint of the flipper means slowing down the ball and causing it to fly closer to the flipper's side more. Or stop the ball by holding the flipper up, then let it slowly roll down and flip just where you want it to launch from.

Also learn how the ball behaves when you do different tilts. Remember that the ball is round and slippery... so if you tilt the table right, it's not the ball you're tilting... it's the table that is shifting right... This means, your LEFT flipper will now be closer to the ball. Though, do note that the ball will react to the right tilt and swerve right after the initial jolt. This is how I save my ball from going down the gutter or drain hole. Say your ball is flying toward the right gutter lane, quickly tilt the table RIGHT JUST before the ball enters the gutter lane. This will cause the divider (between the return lane and the gutter lane) on your table to shift right, which in turn causes your ball to hit the divider and bounce back into play instead of going down the drain.

Takes some practice and timing. :) After a while, you'll get a feel of where your ball will fly to at different flipper controls. That's when you'll have the table under your control and make things happen as you want it to.(of course, with luck still involved.)[/QUOTE]

You may be a deaf, dumb, blind kid but you sure play a mean pinball

[quote name='havok019']You may be a deaf, dumb, blind kid but you sure play a mean pinball[/QUOTE]

What are you a "Pinball Wizard" or something?!?!? :D

[quote name='XClaude']
[/QUOTE]

That's my main problem, in tables like PinBot the ball goes down the gutter very easily so I need to practice this. You tilt the table by using the left analog stick right?

My local GS only had the PS3 version left, which I got but haven't been able try yet. No offense (I own both systems), but wish I could have gotten the 360 version. Just think I would have liked those triggers for the flippers, which is also why I prefer shooters on the 360.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I so totally suck at this game... I am seriously going to trade it in somewhere this week. I ALWAYS sucked at pinball, so I don't know why I even tried :)[/QUOTE]

I got a used ps3 copy after hearing how good it is. And a gamestop had a used one less than 10 mins away. I got the original case, artwork, and manual...I was happy.

Then I played it, and I realized why I never played pinball in real life.
1. It's very confusing...I don't know what or where to hit the ball. I understand things like "shoot the left ramp", but then they say "hit this before time runs out", I have no idea where. Also, what's up with all the F**ken lights?? There are too many things going on. They should just light up the things I need to hit. I know that this problem is easily solved if I study the table but I'm just not into it.

2. I suck at pinball. I can get the highscore, but I have no idea how I did it.

I will go for the trophies and probably give this to my brother or a friend.

[quote name='Readthepost']Then I played it, and I realized why I never played pinball in real life.
1. It's very confusing...I don't know what or where to hit the ball. I understand things like "shoot the left ramp", but then they say "hit this before time runs out", I have no idea where. Also, what's up with all the F**ken lights?? There are too many things going on. They should just light up the things I need to hit. I know that this problem is easily solved if I study the table but I'm just not into it.

2. I suck at pinball. I can get the highscore, but I have no idea how I did it.
[/QUOTE]

The in-game instructions help a lot. When I play a machine for the first time, I just fool around smacking things. Then I'll take the "tour" to learn what I should be doing. "Oh, THAT'S why the machine does that" etc. After a little bit, the lights start to make sense.

Once I get the idea of where I want the ball to go, though, getting it there is where I stink. ;)

[quote name='Readthepost']
1. It's very confusing...I don't know what or where to hit the ball. I understand things like "shoot the left ramp", but then they say "hit this before time runs out", I have no idea where. Also, what's up with all the F**ken lights?? There are too many things going on. They should just light up the things I need to hit. I know that this problem is easily solved if I study the table but I'm just not into it.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure there are many walkthru guides and playthru videos to help you master the more challenging goals. At least there are for real pins.

[quote name='salty tbone']The in-game instructions help a lot. When I play a machine for the first time, I just fool around smacking things. Then I'll take the "tour" to learn what I should be doing. "Oh, THAT'S why the machine does that" etc. After a little bit, the lights start to make sense.

Once I get the idea of where I want the ball to go, though, getting it there is where I stink. ;)[/QUOTE]

I tried the tour and it explains somethings, but the lights just added to the craziness. It's hard enough to concentrate on the ball, but to read (recognize the lights) is very hard for a beginner.

Hopefully, I play more to get the trophies and learn to appreciate pinball.

[quote name='savor100']That's my main problem, in tables like PinBot the ball goes down the gutter very easily so I need to practice this. You tilt the table by using the left analog stick right?[/QUOTE]

Pinbot's not a good one for pinball novices. I'd recommend Space Shuttle - probably the easiest table in this collection. But I think that one's not unlocked at start. Taxi might be a good starting point of the unlocked ones.

I just want to throw this out there in case anyone is having a similar problem:

It seems there's a glitch on Medieval Madness that prevents you from getting the "Activate Super Jets" goal. It was the only "Basic" goal I had left but I found out that in order for the goal to count/unlock, you HAVE to activate Super Jets using one ball on the table. One ball meaning you cannot be in multi-ball madness play. I got a pretty high score and wondered how I never unlocked it and that was the glitch; the animation for "Sooooper Jets" has to play and can only be activated using a single ball.

IF you hit those purple bumpers enough with multi ball, say down to "3(or whatever number) hits to super jets", you CAN let one ball fall and use your single ball to hit it those last 3 times to activate the jets.

[quote name='woof321']Pinbot's not a good one for pinball novices. I'd recommend Space Shuttle - probably the easiest table in this collection. But I think that one's not unlocked at start. Taxi might be a good starting point of the unlocked ones.[/QUOTE]

Problem is I'm trying to beat the Williams challenge so I really don't have a choice :D:cry:

[quote name='Donnums']I just want to throw this out there in case anyone is having a similar problem:

It seems there's a glitch on Medieval Madness that prevents you from getting the "Activate Super Jets" goal. It was the only "Basic" goal I had left but I found out that in order for the goal to count/unlock, you HAVE to activate Super Jets using one ball on the table. One ball meaning you cannot be in multi-ball madness play. I got a pretty high score and wondered how I never unlocked it and that was the glitch; the animation for "Sooooper Jets" has to play and can only be activated using a single ball.

IF you hit those purple bumpers enough with multi ball, say down to "3(or whatever number) hits to super jets", you CAN let one ball fall and use your single ball to hit it those last 3 times to activate the jets.[/QUOTE]That's a good point, but I'd say that is intended with the way Multiball works on Medieval Madness. It is a problem if you're trying to get that goal, but I wouldn't say it was an unintentional glitch; as (I believe) Multiball prevents those events from occurring while it is going on. In the case of Super Jets, where it takes an ongoing number of hits to finally activate, as you said you'll want to avoid hitting the jets while you still have multiple balls in play.

I'll keep an eye out for that next time, but I don't recall ever getting the points for Super Jets while Multiball is going, so the event is likely skipped entirely.

[quote name='donburns99']That's a good point, but I'd say that is intended with the way Multiball works on Medieval Madness. It is a problem if you're trying to get that goal, but I wouldn't say it was an unintentional glitch; as (I believe) Multiball prevents those events from occurring while it is going on. In the case of Super Jets, where it takes an ongoing number of hits to finally activate, as you said you'll want to avoid hitting the jets while you still have multiple balls in play.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, see, I wasn't sure if that was intentional as I had never played the original pinball machine(or had much of an idea how it actually is supposed to work).

Snagged one today at the GameStop near THE BIG CHICKEN (Atlanta folks know). Thanks, OP!

How hard are most of the achievements?

i just got my copy at my local gamestop. been searching all over for this game and finally landed in my hands tonight. i had to grab the copy off the shelf and it had 1 sticker coming off and the other was easy to get off and the game case looked like new.

it was $9.99 new... :)

^really! well that's somewhat good because i bought the ps3 version because that was the only copy my local gamestop had. but then again i'm not a trophy or achievement whore. i just play games and have fun :p

picked up a third and final copy for the gf and her family. took a while to find it but it wasn't easy, stumbled across it when the store finder said there wasn't any

[quote name='chunlirocks']TOYS R US HAS BOTH VERSION FOR 19.99
A DECENT PRICE FOR A GREAT GAME

-----:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Decent yes.

Saving $10 by picking it up at a local GS (which should be like throwing a rock and hitting a Walmart)...Even Better.

Bought one the day before the Snopocylapse here in Northern Virginia. I can't recommend it high enough, especially for those old enough to have grown up with some of these tables.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I heard it has easy trophies from a friend. I might just go and pick it up.[/QUOTE]

It does, no Platinum though (like that matters).

I do not understand how GameStop gets the worst retailer award here at CAG when there are deals like this. Yet Wal-Mart who never has any deals, does not get this award. I don't get it.

[quote name='oasisboy']I do not understand how GameStop gets the worst retailer award here at CAG when there are deals like this. Yet Wal-Mart who never has any deals, does not get this award. I don't get it.[/QUOTE]
Because its cool to hate Gamestop :cool:

In all honesty though, I use GS all the time. They do have good deals from time to time

[quote name='oasisboy']I do not understand how GameStop gets the worst retailer award here at CAG when there are deals like this. Yet Wal-Mart who never has any deals, does not get this award. I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

GameStop gets most of its flak because of its policies of buying used games for pennies on the dollar and then selling them at a very small markdown compared to the new price, and for selling used items as new. I'll shop there for big sales and loss leaders, but they'll never get a significant amount of my business as long as they sell open-box games as new.

[quote name='Mike Toole']GameStop gets most of its flak because of its policies of buying used games for pennies on the dollar and then selling them at a very small markdown compared to the new price, and for selling used items as new. I'll shop there for big sales and loss leaders, but they'll never get a significant amount of my business as long as they sell open-box games as new.[/QUOTE]

This + the whole selling of games as "New", yet the actual product has been gutted.

Finally found a copy at GS in a different town. Marked as new, but all their new games were stored with the opened cases on display and the discs locked up to "protect them from theft"; a practice my local GS doesn't do anymore. My disc looks "almost" new - has some very minor scuffing you wouldn't see in a sealed game that has never been played. Probably should have said no thanks on principle, but got it anyway.

I don't know why everybody hates on GS... Where the hell else would you have been able to get $20 for old assed games... Or FTF, when most of us got a free copy or 2 from BB... or games that you could get from HWV for $5? I rarely used GS before, but with a little creative trading and usage of their promos, I make out quite nicely.

If you don't like gutted games, buy it from Wal-Mart or Amazon if GS doesn't have a sealed game... Oh, that's right, it's TWICE the cost there.

Picked it up, great game.
Lol at people saying they will pick it up because it has easy trophies.
Thanks op, but gamestop still sucks. They remind me of neo-geo freak.
They freak every single game they get.

Got it for $9.99, gutted copy. Played a few different tables although my current favorite is Medieval Madness. :)

I see lots of hate for GameStop but everyone fails to acknowledge that Wal-Mart is worse because:

a) The NEVER have sales
b) The employees do not know anything about games
c) Their stock is very limited (just recent or popular games)
d) Very limited YMMV clearance items

Yet GameStop while I do agree sells games that are not "new", At least have hard to find games, plus deals like this one and their employees can tell you about X, Y Z, game although I agree some of them are not the brightest.

[quote name='oasisboy']I see lots of hate for GameStop but everyone fails to acknowledge that Wal-Mart is worse because:

a) The NEVER have sales
b) The employees do not know anything about games
c) Their stock is very limited (just recent or popular games)
d) Very limited YMMV clearance items

Yet GameStop while I do agree sells games that are not "new", At least have hard to find games, plus deals like this one and their employees can tell you about X, Y Z, game although I agree some of them are not the brightest.[/QUOTE]

Well GameStop is a retailer that sells ONLY video games and video game related items, while WM just has a Video Game "section". Hell in the WMs in my area the section is about 1/2 an aisle long so I don't think they need to dedicate any employees. As for the limited stock... Well since they don't really have the space to do much you can't really blame them. Most Gamestops have more room for just WII titles than the entire Video Game section at WM. As for YMMV clearance items, WM has to make room for newer or more marketable items in their limited space so depending on what doesn't sell managers/district managers clearance out items they see fit...

Grabbed a gutted copy last night.

For the record, I have no issue with gutted copies as long as the disc is in perfect condition. I'm going to open it anyways...yeah, they should probably knock a bit off since it's opened, but what are you gonna do?

[quote name='hobbie8046']Grabbed a gutted copy last night.

For the record, I have no issue with gutted copies as long as the disc is in perfect condition. I'm going to open it anyways...yeah, they should probably knock a bit off since it's opened, but what are you gonna do?[/QUOTE]

When I picked mine up it was a gutted (employee rented) copy. I asked for a "shopworn discount" which ended up making it $8.99. Since many of these "gutted" games are rented to employees I think it's only fair to ask for a discount.

got the last gutted copy the other night, forgot that I had beaten this game on PSP about 8 months ago.. not sure if it's because i'm playing this on a big screen, but some of the tables aren't as crisp graphics wise as I thought they'd be. still fun game for $10 on 360.

Funny how every "new" game bought at GS on here is always a gutted copy. Quite certain that isn't the norm. On this deal where GS is getting rid of inventory I am sure many are since most people will be buying the last copy left. For the record my new copy was sealed, factory sealed.

[quote name='pimpster4183']got the last gutted copy the other night, forgot that I had beaten this game on PSP about 8 months ago.. not sure if it's because i'm playing this on a big screen, but some of the tables aren't as crisp graphics wise as I thought they'd be. still fun game for $10 on 360.[/QUOTE]

Man, I am having quite the opposite experience. Granted, never played it on the PSP, but I was blown away by just how realistic the tables look. Not cartoonish at all. Metal really looks like metal, glass is realistic looking. Very much a very pleasant surprise.

I worked at Software Etc. (which for you youngsters was the main competetor to Babages before their merger and eventual rebranding to GameStop) in 1994 and it was expected that employees take home products to learn more about them. We didn't take home the gutted/display copy but another copy. So when we brought it back to the store we put the cartridge or floppy discs back in the box and just re-shrinkwrapped them and put them on the shelf. We also used to keep all the guts in the backroom so when someone bought the last copy we would tell them we were out of copies up front and would get them one in the back. We then pulled the guts and shrink wrapped the game so the customer would think it was brand new.

[quote name='jgressley']When I picked mine up it was a gutted (employee rented) copy. I asked for a "shopworn discount" which ended up making it $8.99. Since many of these "gutted" games are rented to employees I think it's only fair to ask for a discount.[/QUOTE]

I see no harm in asking for a discount and if they give one to you then that's just icing on the cake. But honestly, all the crying people do over the subject by large is really unnecessary as people can simply refuse to by the open copy and buy it elsewhere. I have never understood the crybaby mentality over this for so long. I'm not coming down on you Jgressley, just saying overall. But props to you for getting the discount on it.

What a great game! Should of gotten this sooner! Its almost close to the real thing. Already have all the trophies and just trying for the wizard challenges now. Which are tough on some tables. But I'm about to put Black Knight on the ban list. Because I will play that table with my Dad, I'd be kicking his ass at ball 2, having 2mil and he has 1mil, then on his 3rd ball, 8 multiballs later he pulls 4.2mil and beats his previous high score!

I really hope they release some dlc or a new edition. It'd be awesome to have other tables to play on. Tales of the Arabian Knights is a great table and Medieval Madness pisses me off sometimes because if you don't hit that ramp correctly its usually an insta-drain.

[quote name='PJSkiboy']I see no harm in asking for a discount and if they give one to you then that's just icing on the cake. But honestly, all the crying people do over the subject by large is really unnecessary as people can simply refuse to by the open copy and buy it elsewhere. I have never understood the crybaby mentality over this for so long. I'm not coming down on you Jgressley, just saying overall. But props to you for getting the discount on it.[/QUOTE]

I see it as a simple case of misrepresentation-- most any other product purchased at a retail store, if it's been opened or otherwise tampered with, is not sold as new-- it's presented with an open-box discount. Gamestop is selling open-box product (in some cases, product that has been outright used by employees) and claiming it's new, which it is not.

I'm OK with buying a gutted copy, but when I do so, I always insist on the 10% discount. I don't feel like I should have to insist, though.

I think it's bullshit about the gutted copies, the other day I went to GS to buy Jurrasic for a friends birthday (I know it's horrible game) and the first GS I went to had *5* "new" copies - not one sealed. They were like we can put a sticker on it, but it's the point that if I give this as a gift without being sealed it's like I'm giving them something used. Also if I'm gonna buy something that's not sealed, why not buy a used copy and save money?

bread's done
Back