PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I had to rewind it to make sure I wasn't seeing things, but I actually saw a commercial for PS Vue during Game 7 of the NBA Western Conference Finals. I've seen plenty of Uncharted 4 commercials and I know Sony has some sort of partnership with the NBA, but Vue was the last thing I was expecting to see them push in such a widely televised game. Seems like it had a tie-in to The Purge movies too.

Just thought I'd share as I found it really odd and out of the ordinary. I don't even think Vue is available in my market yet.

I saw the commercial also.. it started off with cable company installers chasing a guy down a sewer hole and I couldn't tell what it was advertising until the guy was handed a PS4 controller.. anyway it was a good spot, and I really like the Vue product.. it's how I watched the game tonight, hope more people check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally started U4 single player ... I'm  :drool: all over those graphics. Now the only things that I wonder is how come Drake never used his resourceful rope before :whistle2:k . Either way I'll take my time, don't want to rush this one for sure.

Hey group, I finally need to consider adding the ability to chat. I've always been a single player gamer, but I am addicted to UC4 multiplayer and want to add chat and friends. But, I don't want to spend a lot of $$$. Also, the more I google about PS4 and chat and headsets, etc. the more confused I get.

I have a PS4 connected by HDMI to a Yamaha receiver. I have my Sennheiser HD558 headphones connected to my Yamaha AVR. Now, I won't call this true surround sound, obviously. But I do get some sort of simulated surround effect where I definitely have positional awareness cues.

How can I most efficiently add the ability to chat?

Also, if you run audio through the DS4 port, how badly does the game audio suffer? I want to chat but I don't want to lose that simulated surround/positional awareness stuff.

I'm looking at options like the Antlion modmic and the vmoda boom mic and both have different pros and cons. Other options?

Eh, Ubisoft games all feel too similar in gameplay. I was hopeful Watchdogs would break off from their traditional design, but it didn't really feel fresh enough and was bloated with too many boring side missions. WD2 is a skip for me.

Eh, Ubisoft games all feel too similar in gameplay. I was hopeful Watchdogs would break off from their traditional design, but it didn't really feel fresh enough and was bloated with too many boring side missions. WD2 is a skip for me.
They do seem similar in gameplay, guess I just enjoy those types of games. Speaking of Ubisoft, I'd love to see another Rayman game.

Anyone start a e3 thread yet? Was hoping to have a great place to talk about all the announcements. Going to the Playstation e3 experience this year. Went the first year, but skipped last year. Still think they should have some ps vr units to try. Not sure if I'd be able to be regulated or not. Imagine someone having a bad first experience with a vr headset, due to not adjusting it correctly.

Yeah I don't know, as a Sony guy that owns both consoles, I'm not too excited for the Playstation Presser. I actually think Xbox could have a really good showing. I was looking forward to the Neo announcement. Hopefully at least we get a PS VR release date.

They know they have to be extremely careful about how they announce/promote Neo and apparently they aren't ready yet... Fine by me.

It's all about the games anyway, so that's 15-20 minutes saved on having to sit through hearing them explain exactly what this is and why I need one. We'll already be hearing about VR and undoubtedly hear about VUE or something similar, so non game announcements would be a little crowded if they went all in with that stuff. I think it makes more sense to show Neo off at its own (brief) event or something like GDC.

At any rate, this means it likely won't be as ready as soon as the rumors originally said, or it's even less of a big deal (as far as features are concerned) than we think.

Or, possibly, they want to wait in hopes that MS goes in with what they're working on first.

I pre-ordered the Persona 5: Take Your Heart edition. It's the first physical game I'll be buying in over a year. Between a couple games I would rather have digital and several PSN sales all the games I've been buying have been digital.

Persona coming out next year makes 2016 slightly less astounding, but it's going to help 2017 be another great year. I'm looking forward to it, Bloodstained, Fear Effect: Sedna, and maybe Resident Evil 2 Remake will be released.

It kind of sucks Sony's E3 press conference and game 5 of the NBA Finals start at the same time.

I pre-ordered the Persona 5: Take Your Heart edition. It's the first physical game I'll be buying in over a year. Between a couple games I would rather have digital and several PSN sales all the games I've been buying have been digital.
Persona coming out next year makes 2016 slightly less astounding, but it's going to help 2017 be another great year. I'm looking forward to it, Bloodstained, Fear Effect: Sedna, and maybe Resident Evil 2 Remake will be released.
It kind of sucks Sony's E3 press conference and game 5 of the NBA Finals start at the same time.
I think we all know what will happen in game 5, so I wouldn't bother watching that. ;)

Cavs fan here, it'd be too painful to watch so I'm all in on Sony.

RE7 rumored to be a PS4 exclusive, maybe Capcom is sticking with exclusive franchises for each console.

Microsoft's conference was decent. Not mind-blowing, but they also didn't completely mess up the way they have in the past.

Now it's on Sony to show us what they've got. I'm expecting them to stay the course, and mainly focus on games. They are the current market leader, and content for their existing platform would seem reasonable. We might see a "slim" model of their own for the PS4, but I'm not certain of that. It's about the right time in the console's cycle to introduce an optimized slim model, so it seems likely.

The important thing is for Sony to retain some level of humility. It was their arrogance that got them into trouble with the PS3. It was their need to compete that lead to the much better-designed PS4. Now that they're "on-top" again there is a danger of them becoming overconfident, and repeating some of their past mistakes. I don't think that likely, but there's always a danger. The difference between the PS4 and Xbox One is not nearly as wide as some of Sony's past successes. While they're doing well, they haven't run away with this competition, and still need to stay on their toes. This is even more true now that Microsoft took their own bloody nose with the launch of the Xbox One, and have been adjusting their strategy ever since.

I agree, M$ had a strong showing for once without any "sports, sports, sports", call of duty or "tv tv tv" memes. They focused on games and their future plans with good pacing throughout the show. They had things to talk about this E3 and it showed with how quickly they jumped from item to item. However, a few points that should have hit harder were lightly skipped or touched on, such as the pricepoint of Xbox S or any plans to include early adopters/purchasers of the S on an upgrade path for Scorpio. Those details would have help eased tensions over the new hardware and yet they left people to make their own decisions, which in the business world is a major "whoops".

I really liked Microsoft's showing, but putting everything on PC kind of gives me little reason to pick up a Xbox One S this year. With the Scorpio coming in 2017 I really have no reason to pick one up in 2016.

I like the direction Microsoft is going, but at this point I'm better off just playing the new Xbox games on PC.

I'm looking forward to Sony's conference.

With Microsoft announcing they are working on the Scorpio, I'd guess ps4 woukd show the Neo. But they already said they wouldn't. I do like Microsofts idea of future without generations. Personally I think it's going to be alot like the apple app store, where most games and apps work better on the newer models. And as time passes and they are a few models ahead, the older models will slowly become less optimized.

Future without generations is basically PC gaming which Microsoft has clear shown is where they want to go.

You can pretty much get a Scorpio right now by just building a higher end PC right now. With all their exclusives going to PC now, little reason to own an Xbox when you can just build a PC.

Is building the PC cheaper?
That's the question. Scorpio would likely be a little cheaper since MS would be producing them in bulk, but given the (rumored) specs I don't think it'll be cheap. It probably won't be less than $600, and I could see it possibly being even higher than that. They're taking a chance on this being a premium item. It will either blow up in their faces, or be looked at as a turning point for good in the industry.

Time will tell.

Comparable. A PC can also do more than just gaming and you get the benefit of the whole steam library.
Gaming consoles are not too far from PCs honestly, especially the One with the WIndows 10 integration.

Not sure what games you'll be missing out on Steam as well unless they're decades old titles.

i thought MS' conference was terrible. they showed games that were shown last year with very little new stuff. the new stuff they did show was zombie related and they announce two consoles in the same show? saying scorpio is coming just gave a ton of people absolutely no reason to buy the xbs. another conference, another halo game and forza game and a gears game. yawn.

like other people have said, if all games from here on out are xbox and pc, why buy a xbox?

i thought MS' conference was terrible. they showed games that were shown last year with very little new stuff. the new stuff they did show was zombie related and they announce two consoles in the same show? saying scorpio is coming just gave a ton of people absolutely no reason to buy the xbs. another conference, another halo game and forza game and a gears game. yawn.

like other people have said, if all games from here on out are xbox and pc, why buy a xbox?
These were my thoughts and I was wondering why so many that were impressed, but didn't want to say anything figuring I'd be torn to shreds. Lol

It's confusing as to what exactly they're doing.

I think Microsoft is sick of hearing "The PS4 is waaaaaaaaaay more 'powerful' than the Xbox One" comments and came to bat with a good strategy. They know about the PS4 Neo so the came to the party with something that would blow the rumored specs of it away and intentionally chose a later release date so even if Playstation rebuttaled with better specs, Microsoft could still outdo them by tweaking their work-in-progress.

Sure, Sony hasn't officially set a release date and with the PSVR right around the corner and PSNeo solely existing (allegedly) as a console to be able to run it, one can imagine the PSNeo will launch in tandem with the VR headset. I personally think M$ is going the way of just releasing a PC just to shut the PC Elitists up and just rolling Xbox/W10 into Microsoft games. My theory - the Scorpio is just going to be a PC with Windows 10 installed, with said specs, and slapping the Xbox logo on it.

Kind of iffy on the new God of War.  Looks amazing as always, just too slow paced from what was shown.

Was not feelin the new god of war at all, its like sony wants every game to be like  the last of us. The same with days gone. Im excited for insomiacs spider man game and the crash remakes though.

I think Microsoft is sick of hearing "The PS4 is waaaaaaaaaay more 'powerful' than the Xbox One" comments and came to bat with a good strategy. They know about the PS4 Neo so the came to the party with something that would blow the rumored specs of it away and intentionally chose a later release date so even if Playstation rebuttaled with better specs, Microsoft could still outdo them by tweaking their work-in-progress.

Sure, Sony hasn't officially set a release date and with the PSVR right around the corner and PSNeo solely existing (allegedly) as a console to be able to run it, one can imagine the PSNeo will launch in tandem with the VR headset. I personally think M$ is going the way of just releasing a PC just to shut the PC Elitists up and just rolling Xbox/W10 into Microsoft games. My theory - the Scorpio is just going to be a PC with Windows 10 installed, with said specs, and slapping the Xbox logo on it.
well the sony conference just basically axed this theory since psvr is launching oct 13th. xbox scorpio is dated for holiday 2017 so thats probably around when psneo will come out. since games like RE7 is said to be fully playable start to finish in VR, id have to assume regular ps4s will be able to run it.

These were my thoughts and I was wondering why so many that were impressed, but didn't want to say anything figuring I'd be torn to shreds. Lol

It's confusing as to what exactly they're doing.
getting torn to shreds in the ps forum over not liking the xbox conference? poppycock lol

Was not feelin the new god of war at all, its like sony wants every game to be like the last of us. The same with days gone. Im excited for insomiacs spider man game and the crash remakes though.
ConventionalJitteryAmurminnow.gif

Looks amazing.

I was a little worried when they kept showing VR game after VR game and I'm like "yeah, I don't care about VR", but overall it was a good showing. I can't wait to see the rational of how Days Gone isn't a zombie game. THOSE WERE fuckING ZOMBIES IN THE LAST OF US! Deal with it. I am kinda worried how nothing but The Last Guardian and FF15 (previously announced at the Xbox conference) have concrete release dates - and before you say VR games have release dates, I don't fucking care about those

There wasn't that much VR, so I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm fine with new God of War, that series has been more stale than 3 month old bread - so any change at all is welcome for me. I want to like Days Gone, but I feel like it could be another Order 1886 scenario. I hope not.

There wasn't that much VR, so I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm fine with new God of War, that series has been more stale than 3 month old bread - so any change at all is welcome for me. I want to like Days Gone, but I feel like it could be another Order 1886 scenario. I hope not.
I feel god of war will be another 1886, amazing graphics but hollow gameplay :/ Also where was red dead?

Kind of a meh E3... seems like most of the word is around the "new' consoles. No major surprises, like last year but I guess that would be nearly impossible to surpass. 

Horizon continues to look amazing, probably one of my most hyped games and it's nice that TLG has  release date. I love me some God of War and was excited for the new Norse setting but trailer game play footage didn't do it for me. 

Kind of a meh E3... seems like most of the word is around the "new' consoles. No major surprises, like last year but I guess that would be nearly impossible to surpass.

Horizon continues to look amazing, probably one of my most hyped games and it's nice that TLG has release date. I love me some God of War and was excited for the new Norse setting but trailer game play footage didn't do it for me.
I wonder how God of War will function without the Blades of Chaos. That element is what made traversal and scripted combat so cool

That was a short Sony E3, I thought it was scheduled to run at least another hour. They probably scrapped Neo announcement or something.
Short and sweet was nice. Ubisoft was too drawn out and I got bored. As for the Neo, Sony already said they wouldn't show it, but I have a feeling they were going to drop a bomb - saying they wouldn't show it as a ploy to surprise everyone when they showed it anyway, but Scorpio would have made Neo look pathetic. I don't know though. I have a feeling Sony is going back to the drawing board on the Neo

Short and sweet was nice. Ubisoft was too drawn out and I got bored. As for the Neo, Sony already said they wouldn't show it, but I have a feeling they were going to drop a bomb - saying they wouldn't show it as a ploy to surprise everyone when they showed it anyway, but Scorpio would have made Neo look pathetic. I don't know though. I have a feeling Sony is going back to the drawing board on the Neo
No confirmed specs on Neo so saying Scorpio would have made Neo look pathetic is just conjecture.

I realy hope noone falls for the idea that Scorpio is going to magically do 4k/60 FPS

We don't even know what the Scorpio is going to be... MS just said it'll be 4K gaming ready and top of the line and capable of 6 tflops. But given what kind of PC set ups are needed for 4K gaming, I can't imagine it'll be cheap, even with promising (and cheap) new tech from AMD.

I'd wager Sony is holding back the Neo because it seems kinda ill-conceived... just trying to push 4K steaming (and no UHDBD support).

EDIT* Actually, some of the quotes from MS are just fucking hilarious. This sounds like market-speak to me.

• "These are the highest-quality pixels anybody has seen."
  • "This is the console developers asked us to build; they wanted a console with no boundaries, had no limitations."
  • "This console is a hundred per cent for you guys. We read the articles, we read the reviews. It's the 'we heard you' console."
Granted, you can't just scale/multiply these things, but just for comparisons sake: the Xbox 1 is capable of ~1.2 tflops... so, the Scorpio is going to be approximately 5x more powerful.

I was wondering if Kojima showed anything... guess I got my answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ladBsb7rg

We don't even know what the Scorpio is going to be... MS just said it'll be 4K gaming ready and top of the line and capable of 6 tflops. But given what kind of PC set ups are needed for 4K gaming, I can't imagine it'll be cheap, even with promising (and cheap) new tech from AMD.

I'd wager Sony is holding back the Neo because it seems kinda ill-conceived... just trying to push 4K steaming (and no UHDBD support).

EDIT* Actually, some of the quotes from MS are just fucking hilarious. This sounds like market-speak to me.

• "These are the highest-quality pixels anybody has seen."
  • "This is the console developers asked us to build; they wanted a console with no boundaries, had no limitations."
  • "This console is a hundred per cent for you guys. We read the articles, we read the reviews. It's the 'we heard you' console."
Granted, you can't just scale/multiply these things, but just for comparisons sake: the Xbox 1 is capable of ~1.2 tflops... so, the Scorpio is going to be approximately 5x more powerful.

I was wondering if Kojima showed anything... guess I got my answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ladBsb7rg
So the Neo won't have 4K-Bluray in it?

for me this e3 i kind of figured going in would be about learning alot of release dates for games we were told about last year and couple non shockers coming. i really excited for the spider man game i was not a fan of sunset overdrive so im excited to see if they get back on right track.

bread's done
Back