PlayStation Classic DEALS THREAD (Currently $20 @ GameStop)

worth the 20$ being able to finally play a lot of the missing PS games from my childhood through hacking this will be great. 

I Do, but don't want to spend more than $20 on the thing as a whole.
i understand. 20 for the classic, 10/15 for power adapter. $8-10 for 2.0 usb

using a ds4 wireless need 8bitdo ps adapter, 20. (works with autobleem)

those old ps2 to usb adapters work aswell, ds3 etc. (in retroarch)

Last edited by a moderator:
This only plays PS type games? (after autobleem)

Just curious.

i understand. 20 for the classic, 10/15 for power adapter. $8-10 for 2.0 usb

using a ds4 wireless need 8bitdo ps adapter, 20. (works with autobleem)

those old ps2 to usb adapters work aswell, ds3 etc. (in retroarch)
That seems like a lot.

This only plays PS type games? (after autobleem)

Just curious.

That seems like a lot.
autobleem handles ps games yes, get a bundle w/ retroarch and you can play almost everything.

[hiddenlist]
atari

coleco

mame

neo geo

turbografx 16

turbografx cd

supergrafx

gameboy

gameboy color

gameboy advance

nintendo ds ( need analog controller)

nes

snes

sega

sega 32x

sega cd

virtual boy (lol)

psp[/hiddenlist]

most people already have a 2.0 usb laying around, and or a 5v 2a or 5v 2.4a usb wall charger.

"endless hours of gaming fun"

Yeesh, even its marketing tag lines are crappy.
The sad part is that they're actually right about the "endless hours of gaming fun." Except that it's a do it yourself project.

Here's how this will go:

You'll ask for adjustment, theyll say no. Then you'll say you'll just return all of these and then rebuy them for $20...from Best Buy. Either they stop being stupid and agree to adjust, or you place your BB order and start the Target return process.
I actually ordered three of these from Best Buy this morning when I saw it hit Slickdeals just in case they don't want to do the adjustments on the Target Classics. Either way, three of them are for relatives, and the other three are going back. OK, I might keep one as a backup...unless I can't get the adjustment.

An I reading correctly that the PS Classic doesn't come with a power cable? What does it take, USB to Micro USB? Info I'm seeing is a bit unclear.
It comes with a USB cable. You just need to get a 5 volt AC adapter which you probably already have from your cell phone. If not, they're cheap. I saw a bunch of them for $5 each at Kroger over the weekend on the phone accessories carousel.

To all - the only reason these aren't sold out yet as of 6:04 EST is that people are too dumbstruck by Prime Day to figure out that this thing is the best deal of the day.

3.0 can be hit or miss unless you do the bleem sync kernel update or power mod. I stick to 2.0.

Buy a 8bitdo adapter and use a ps4 controller!
This. Don’t buy the 128gb. It won’t work out of the box unless you do a little kernel update or power mod. Plus 128GB is overkilled. If you have more than 80 PS1 Image files in your stick the PSC will likely crash / shutdown on you randomly. I’ll save you the trouble and time and stick with a 64 GB 2.0. Get this one - SanDisk 64GB Cruzer FIT USB 2.0 Flash Mini Thumb Pen Drive SDCZ33-064G. Best stick for it.

That's too black-and-white. There is OTG support now and more will happen. None of what you're saying is "wrong", but a user who eventually wants to build out the best setup possible will benefit from 128 gigs (and above), and possibly even 3.0 from load speed improvements.

This. Don’t buy the 128gb. It won’t work out of the box unless you do a little kernel update or power mod. Plus 128GB is overkilled. If you have more than 80 PS1 Image files in your stick the PSC will likely crash / shutdown on you randomly. I’ll save you the trouble and time and stick with a 64 GB 2.0. Get this one - SanDisk 64GB Cruzer FIT USB 2.0 Flash Mini Thumb Pen Drive SDCZ33-064G. Best stick for it.
I had a Kingston 32GB 3.0 flash it wouldn't detect more than 3 PSX games loaded with autobleem. When I ran Beemsync it was running fine with PSP emulator and the ISO files though

I had to switch to a PNY 16GB 2.0 drive to get it working with Autobleem

I had a Kingston 32GB 3.0 flash it wouldn't detect more than 3 PSX games loaded with autobleem. When I ran Beemsync it was running fine with PSP emulator and the ISO files though
No offense, but Kingston is a terrible brand when it comes to putting media on their sticks. Sandisk seems to be king when it comes to the PlayStation Classic. In fact, I'm shocked that their stock price didn't shoot up when the Classic hit $20.

Can someone link to a video or written guide on the easiest way to hack this thing?  I'm interested in playing all kinds of retro games on it (not just PS1 games).  This would be my first hack/mod of electronics ever and am nervous about doing it.

Can someone link to a video or written guide on the easiest way to hack this thing? I'm interested in playing all kinds of retro games on it (not just PS1 games). This would be my first hack/mod of electronics ever and am nervous about doing it.
You're better off going the YouTube route that will show you what to expect. Just find one that is detailed and watch it carefully prior to trying. It's not hard to find by searching, people don't want to run afoul of the community rules by providing guides on hacking.

You're better off going the YouTube route that will show you what to expect. Just find one that is detailed and watch it carefully prior to trying. It's not hard to find by searching, people don't want to run afoul of the community rules by providing guides on hacking.
Yeah, as I've gotten several recommendation videos on YT for the PS1 Classic mods, and I never cared to know about it. LOL I guess because I've looked up vids for 3DS and Vita, they send me PS1 thinking it might interest me. I did get one of these yesterday, but no telling if and when I'll ever mod it, but a quick google search is the way to go for info(to those who may need help).

autobleem handles ps games yes, get a bundle w/ retroarch and you can play almost everything.

[hiddenlist]
atari

coleco

mame

neo geo

turbografx 16

turbografx cd

supergrafx

gameboy

gameboy color

gameboy advance

nintendo ds ( need analog controller)

nes

snes

sega

sega 32x

sega cd

virtual boy (lol)

psp[/hiddenlist]

most people already have a 2.0 usb laying around, and or a 5v 2a or 5v 2.4a usb wall charger.
:applause:

Are these ringing up at $20 in store or is it online only?  $5.99 for shipping is ridiculous.  I have $30 in bb credit but I don't want to waste a good chunk of it on shipping.

Are these ringing up at $20 in store or is it online only? $5.99 for shipping is ridiculous. I have $30 in bb credit but I don't want to waste a good chunk of it on shipping.
Shipping is free. It's part of the two day sale where everything has free shipping until this ends tonight.

Shipping is free. It's part of the two day sale where everything has free shipping until this ends tonight.
Oh duh, boy do I feel dumb. I was wondering why everyone was getting free shipping. It would have helped if I had read the page about it. Alright, I shall order it now. Thanks for the info.

I put it in my cart and removed it. It's not even worth $20 to me. If it supported analog controllers I would have probably bought one. I still have a PS2 Slim that plays PS1 games and in the tray is Ape Escape. I guess it's a nice modding machine if you don't have any backwards compatible Playstations.

Also, you can use an external hard drive if you don't want to buy an old 2.0 thumb drive. Can even get a Sabrent 2.0 enclosure and use that. It doesn't just have to be a USB stick. That's just all it can power by itself because the entire system runs on a mini USB. So you can use anything externally powered, and it'll work even better.

I ended up repurposing an old 1TB Western digital I bought in 2009 that still works. I had it set up for my retropie, but it's just SO EASY to hack and there are enough games I wanted to play that I said screw it. I ended up fitting the entire library of Playstation 1 games, and every game before that, on there.

I put it in my cart and removed it. It's not even worth $20 to me. If it supported analog controllers I would have probably bought one. I still have a PS2 Slim that plays PS1 games and in the tray is Ape Escape. I guess it's a nice modding machine if you don't have any backwards compatible Playstations.
Most gamers have wasted $20 on much crappier gaming-related items over the years. I can honestly say that it's a pretty cool feeling once you conquer the PlayStation Classic.

In other news, the three that I ordered from Best Buy came today in a waaaaaay oversized box, so I'm taking the others back to Target tonight. I know you guys love it when I keep you abreast of all my goings-on.

Edit: When I took the three systems back to Target tonight, the lady at the counter offered to do a return and rebuy on all three systems for me if I wanted, but I opted to return the one that I bought on June 30 and take the price adjustment on the other two. She couldn't figure out how to do a price adjustment, so I just returned them and she rung them up for $19.99 each. So, I have a new receipt with a new return window just in case they drop below the current sale price.

There was also a guy at the counter who said that he knew about the PS Classic, what I was planning to do with it, and that a baby could hack one since it's just that easy.

Yeah, as I've gotten several recommendation videos on YT for the PS1 Classic mods, and I never cared to know about it. LOL I guess because I've looked up vids for 3DS and Vita, they send me PS1 thinking it might interest me. I did get one of these yesterday, but no telling if and when I'll ever mod it, but a quick google search is the way to go for info(to those who may need help).
PM sent to my Android brother.

Also, you can use an external hard drive if you don't want to buy an old 2.0 thumb drive. Can even get a Sabrent 2.0 enclosure and use that. It doesn't just have to be a USB stick. That's just all it can power by itself because the entire system runs on a mini USB. So you can use anything externally powered, and it'll work even better.

I ended up repurposing an old 1TB Western digital I bought in 2009 that still works. I had it set up for my retropie, but it's just SO EASY to hack and there are enough games I wanted to play that I said screw it. I ended up fitting the entire library of Playstation 1 games, and every game before that, on there.
Yeahhh I did an impulse buy before I went to sleep last night. When I considered the cost of setting up a retropie, I figured this was a cheaper option and a great way to dabble with some old PS1 fighting games I miss (mostly all the Capcom licensed games) that'll never see a re-release. Everyone praises the quality of the controllers, too, so they may get some use on other things.

I didn't know an external HDD would do the trick too, but that makes sense.

Am in the same camp as you. More for me though is that I just don't have any nostalgia for the PSX. Even with a grossly thinner library, I have far more fond memories of my N64, and even then I'd second guess buying that retro console if Nintendo made one. Those games really haven't aged well, imho.

Their main mistake was only stocking these in electronic retailers. Where this needs to be are places like Walgreens and CVS for $10-$20. These are novelty toys and should be treated as such.

If you have more than 80 PS1 Image files in your stick the PSC will likely crash / shutdown on you randomly.
This...I found out the hard way in 2010 when I loaded my homebrewed Wii (took endless hours of research and trial/error) with all my games on the SD card. It completely bricked the system. I should've taken a hint when I noticed Homebrew apps bugging out when I added more...I figured it would just be a little slower if I added more. Nope. It just didn't start up.

Almost made the same mistake with my Retro Pi but deleted games once I noticed it bug out with gbs and gbs worth of osx and n64 games on the microsd.

Almost made the same mistake with my Retro Pi but deleted games once I noticed it bug out with gbs and gbs worth of osx and n64 games on the microsd.
I don't think there's a limit on games with the retropi. You probably had a bad file or file name causing issues. There are plenty of sets over 100gb that work perfectly fine.

the only thing i've noticed on larger amount of games is the loading time for the system.

some have a full (us and some Japan) 1TB hard drive connected via OTG cable, after using the bleemsync kernal update to add otg support.

bleemsync does tend to have load issues for large collections imho, so i stick with the autobleem user interface for fun and just use retroboot/retroarch.

Am in the same camp as you. More for me though is that I just don't have any nostalgia for the PSX. Even with a grossly thinner library, I have far more fond memories of my N64, and even then I'd second guess buying that retro console if Nintendo made one. Those games really haven't aged well, imho.
I think that nostalgia is the reason why I've been so excited over the PlayStation Classic. The Dreamcast is my favorite system of all time, but I discovered a lot of affordable hidden gems for the PlayStation right around the time that the PlayStation 2 came out. I remember going to GameStop and video rental stores and buying large quantities of used PlayStation games when they became dirt cheap. I still have all of them now.

Obviously, the 2D games have aged much better than the 3D games at this point, but with all the shmups, RPGs, platformers, and puzzle games on this system, the PlayStation Classic provides a really great opportunity to discover some really cool games that you might have otherwise missed.

If you're not familiar with the PlayStation library, there's a lot more to play on it than the usual titles that everyone suggests. This is a link to one of my all-time favorite articles about the PlayStation's hidden gems on Racketboy's website.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/best-undiscovered-playstation-ps1-psx

I ordered one got it next day and the outside box is mint. Edges sharp and no blemishes. Maybe this will help somebody on the edge, maybe i got lucky dunno.

I think that nostalgia is the reason why I've been so excited over the PlayStation Classic. The Dreamcast is my favorite system of all time, but I discovered a lot of affordable hidden gems for the PlayStation right around the time that the PlayStation 2 came out. I remember going to GameStop and video rental stores and buying large quantities of used PlayStation games when they became dirt cheap. I still have all of them now.

Obviously, the 2D games have aged much better than the 3D games at this point, but with all the shmups, RPGs, platformers, and puzzle games on this system, the PlayStation Classic provides a really great opportunity to discover some really cool games that you might have otherwise missed.

If you're not familiar with the PlayStation library, there's a lot more to play on it than the usual titles that everyone suggests. This is a link to one of my all-time favorite articles about the PlayStation's hidden gems on Racketboy's website.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/best-undiscovered-playstation-ps1-psx
Appreciate it. For me, the PS2 represents the evolution and better execution of most of the game concepts promised by PSX - sort of what snes was for the nes. I'm not into shumps though I'm sure I own some of the key genre games. Like I said, I can appeciate folks who may get something out of this device but I just find it hard to go back and play many of the games from that gen. I've been spoiled by the newer games.

Appreciate it. For me, the PS2 represents the evolution and better execution of most of the game concepts promised by PSX - sort of what snes was for the nes. I'm not into shumps though I'm sure I own some of the key genre games. Like I said, I can appeciate folks who may get something out of this device but I just find it hard to go back and play many of the games from that gen. I've been spoiled by the newer games.
Fair enough. I think the appreciation of older games is often tied into living through the time in which those games first came out. I remember how excited I would get when I'd go into Toys R Us and find budget PS1 games for sale that I'd never seen before or something that I wanted in a clearance bin. Anyway, I bought a few PlayStation Classics for adult relatives who grew up during the Atari/NES/Genesis era to give to them for the holidays, but I wouldn't bother giving them to my younger relatives who grew up with smartphones because I figure that they'll only complain about how bad the graphics are.

Like I said, I will admit that some of the 3D games look horrible now. I was playing NASCAR Rumble last night, and I sat there wishing that I was playing Rumble Racing which was one of my favorite PS2 games instead because it was the same game but better looking. But a racing game with simpler 3D graphics such as Walt Disney World's Magical Racing doesn't look that bad. And NBA Jam Tournament Edition looks better than NBA Showtime these days.

And I'm hoping that someday we'll get a PS2 Classic, but with the way these things sold, I doubt that will happen now. And if it did, I'm sure that Sony would figure out how to lock the damn thing up tighter than a drum.

Does Best Buy price adjust. Picked this up at $25 a few weeks ago and it's still sealed. I think I'm Elite
I posted earlier in the thread that they refunded me the difference when I had bought it for $20. (And I'm not Elite.) I just did a chat on the website.

Received in the mail a $5 bonus reward that starts tomorrow

If this stays this price I’ll try to grab one

Got bleem on mine. Can ps1 games from ps3 be used? I should have a good amount of ps1 games from psn still.

Also I feel sorry for those that picked this thing up for $100. Too bad they didnt include all the final fantasy games along with tactics and chronicles.

This thing really isn't as bad as people like to say, even before you hack it. My big beef is that out of all the games on the system, only a handful appeal to me. The rest are either too dated or in genres I don't enjoy. Rainbow Six? Is this Tom Clancy's vengeance from the grave?

(Intelligent Qube is awesome, though. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.)

I do have Bleemsync running on it, but at the moment I've got no idea how to add games. I was just hoping to throw bin/cues on the flash drive and be done with it, but nooooo, you have to visit a site (that doesn't work) or use an external program (that doesn't make sense). Come on people, it's called drag and drop.

This thing really isn't as bad as people like to say, even before you hack it. My big beef is that out of all the games on the system, only a handful appeal to me. The rest are either too dated or in genres I don't enjoy. Rainbow Six? Is this Tom Clancy's vengeance from the grave?

(Intelligent Qube is awesome, though. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.)

I do have Bleemsync running on it, but at the moment I've got no idea how to add games. I was just hoping to throw bin/cues on the flash drive and be done with it, but nooooo, you have to visit a site (that doesn't work) or use an external program (that doesn't make sense). Come on people, it's called drag and drop.
If you want drag/drop Just use Autobleem w/ Retroboot, since you already got bleem sync you can make use of Otg support.

Sony left about half of the games in their PAL setting, so they're running at 50Hz instead of 60Hz. Tekken 3 runs bad. I think that was one of the biggest mistakes Sony made with the Playstation Classic. All they had to do was set their emulator to run those games in NTSC. Instead half the games run in slight slow motion. I suppose if you're in Europe it won't seem different. You're seeing the same shoddy ports you saw back in the PS1 days. But in North America and Japan these PAL games are a downgrade.

Even if someone doesn't add any games to the Playstation Classic I think it's worth doing one of the mods just to run those PAL games in NTSC.

I honestly didn't try other controllers. I think it will support them after you hack it, but only what profiles have been programmed into Bleemsync.

I've been dinking around with this system, and it's been acting a little temperamental, taking forever to run some games. It's recommended that you hack the PCB to allow more power to come to the front USB ports, and I'm considering it.

bread's done
Back