PlayStation Classic DEALS THREAD (Currently $20 @ GameStop)

I honestly didn't try other controllers. I think it will support them after you hack it, but only what profiles have been programmed into Bleemsync.

I've been dinking around with this system, and it's been acting a little temperamental, taking forever to run some games. It's recommended that you hack the PCB to allow more power to come to the front USB ports, and I'm considering it.
Why would you need more power in front? Everyone uses otg cable in the back with a hard drive.

OTG support made the power mod pointless.

I honestly didn't try other controllers. I think it will support them after you hack it, but only what profiles have been programmed into Bleemsync.

I've been dinking around with this system, and it's been acting a little temperamental, taking forever to run some games. It's recommended that you hack the PCB to allow more power to come to the front USB ports, and I'm considering it.
That's not the best way to do that, don't mess with the PCB hack. There is OTG support available to use the rear micro USB port and a splitter cable to plug in your drive. That way you do no soldering and also do not have to take up the 2 player USB slot. Using the rear slot gets over the power issue that makes some USB drives incompatible (though some will still not work, like really big ones and some USB 3.0+).

Picked one up for $15

Got a $5 reward cert in the mail...it didn’t work online...chatted up and price adjusted

Picked one up for $69

Got a $420 reward cert in the mail...it didn’t work online...chatted up and price adjusted

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in 1995, I had to flip the original Playstation upside down to make it work.

You know what's fun? Accessing the internal storage and replacing the crapola games with ones you might actually want to play. Bye bye Toshinden, helloooooo Street Fighter EX!

Lol is this one the "last time" it goes on sale? Just like the last 4 times? Hahaha this is telling me they can't even sell out of them at 20

I wonder how many people that claim they have the USB incompatibility issue, just have their files improperly structured.

I went through several sticks and SD cards last night until realizing you're not supposed to have the files you need to copy over their own folder. Between multiple tutorial videos saying something like "extract to its own folder" while showing the files listed in one titled with the latest version of the program I almost ended up ordering a new thumbdrive until one last video showed the proper setup. Turns outs every stick and card I tried actually worked.

Using a 16GB SD card and reader at the moment, it's not the best setup, but it beats sinking more money on this thing.

Oh, and it turns out a bunch of the games I played as a kid were crap.

I wonder how many people that claim they have the USB incompatibility issue, just have their files improperly structured.

I went through several sticks and SD cards last night until realizing you're not supposed to have the files you need to copy over their own folder. Between multiple tutorial videos saying something like "extract to its own folder" while showing the files listed in one titled with the latest version of the program I almost ended up ordering a new thumbdrive until one last video showed the proper setup. Turns outs every stick and card I tried actually worked.

Using a 16GB SD card and reader at the moment, it's not the best setup, but it beats sinking more money on this thing.

Oh, and it turns out a bunch of the games I played as a kid were crap.
Yeah, when dealing with the "hacking", most issues are often small mistakes, or just issues with a certain device. I've been emulating since it became a thing, and while PC is king, the way it may work across systems can vary greatly, depending on the device in question. The format, path, being zipped, the file name, etc can all be hurdles, but most can be overcome with a quick google search of your issues.

Lol is this one the "last time" it goes on sale? Just like the last 4 times? Hahaha this is telling me they can't even sell out of them at 20
It's selling too well at $20 to go any lower I think. My store just sold out and had 80+ when it first dropped to $20.

It's selling too well at $20 to go any lower I think. My store just sold out and had 80+ when it first dropped to $20.
Definitely seems to be moving well at $20. I picked up 2 (one for me one as a gift for my dad) on Saturday from my local Best Buy, there were another dozen or so visible waiting at the Store Pickup desk. It's more than worth it at this price point if you're interested in adding PS1 and retro games. The entire process takes just a few minutes with the right flash drive and smallest amount of tech literacy.

They were all shipped to 5 below (eventually).

2ch2h45.jpg

Look, one is holding the door open.

Do the games run faster after hacking, by adding US version of games? Heard that the system is running EU games that cause it to lag.

Do the games run faster after hacking, by adding US version of games? Heard that the system is running EU games that cause it to lag.
It's not that they run faster, but they run proper, as pal games run different, due to the TV standards of the UK. If Sony America had included proper roms(ISO, etc.), it would have never been an issue. Which in turn shows why all the hate, as it's almost like they didn't give a damn in regards to polishing up what was offered. It seemed like they just wanted to cash in, and get something to store shelves as quick as possible, and that didn't work out so well for them in the end.

all the hate are combos of no analog sticks, pal games, and using open source emulator. and there's prolly 12 people angry it didn't come with a usb adapter.

helo every1 ples dont bring up "mods" or "hacking" or "roms" in this thread becus its ilegal even if the games came out in 90s there copyrite dates r stil not pased and they r not "publec domaine". trust me my dad is lawyer here in gaithersburg md and i readed some of his legal book on this. im in my 20s but he groundid me 1 time and forced me 2 read some of his legal book as puneshment and i lerned about copy rites this way. so if u dont want 2 get in truble dont do it. jus play the games on it or buy the origenl console used.... also warez r ilegal.
good luck with that.

Glad I made a backup of each of my 650 ROMs and ISOs so I can legally play them on this dumbass PS Classic and then not play them again.

Wow, pepsiman got banned quick this time. Pretty sad that he comes back every 6 months like clockwork.

Is this a permanent price drop or just a sale price?
I think it's more like a going out of business sale.

But like others said, target, bestbuy, walmart have no or very little stock in stores. Once the remaining online options deplete, I would guess a few sellers who didn't discount might still have it up for $60, but won't see $20 again unless there is more stock. If bestbuy and target raise their price back up with stock left, any future drop to $20 again would probably sell out quickly.

Never got around to hacking NES/SNES, but with this you can put so many systems (or just PS1) on one nice replica with swappable drive very easily (assuming a compatible drive formatted correctly and $3 OTG cable to avoid burning out port 2). At $40 all in, worth it.

Targets around me still have stock after a long time at $19.99. This is going to vary by area but I have been surprised at how little people want this thing even now.

I've seen this movie before. It was the PSTV years before, and the Virtual Boy years before that. A game company takes a big swing with a product like this, it fails, and they quietly sweep their mistake under the rug and move on to something else. They're going to try to put as much distance between themselves and the Playstation Classic as possible.

At least we benefit from their attempt to save face. The PS Classic is ridiculously powerful for a mini console... there's tablet hardware in there, and 1GB of RAM. By contrast, the Super NES Classic has 256MB, and the PSTV had 512MB. Once hacked, the PS Classic can run Dreamcast games. They don't always run well, but at the price point you wouldn't expect them to run at all. As far as I'm concerned, Sony can keep failing magnificently if I get to pick at the corpse afterward.

I've seen this movie before. It was the PSTV years before, and the Virtual Boy years before that. A game company takes a big swing with a product like this, it fails, and they quietly sweep their mistake under the rug and move on to something else. They're going to try to put as much distance between themselves and the Playstation Classic as possible.

At least we benefit from their attempt to save face. The PS Classic is ridiculously powerful for a mini console... there's tablet hardware in there, and 1GB of RAM. By contrast, the Super NES Classic has 256MB, and the PSTV had 512MB. Once hacked, the PS Classic can run Dreamcast games. They don't always run well, but at the price point you wouldn't expect them to run at all. As far as I'm concerned, Sony can keep failing magnificently if I get to pick at the corpse afterward.
ArugulaZ, I think that you and I are the CAG champions of this device. I was satisfied with paying $29.99 for it once I figured it out. In any case, I spent hours trying out PSone games last night. I think that Chocobo's Dungeon 2 and Monster Rancher Battle Card Game Episode II were my favorites. And playing WWF Smackdown took me back to the days when The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin didn't annoy me.

I do recommend it with reservations. This system should have been terrific out of the box, and it could have been, if more care had been put into it. Instead, Sony made a lot of puzzling mistakes that soured the experience, especially at the original retail price.

People don't buy these mini consoles as DIY projects... there's the Raspberry Pi for that. Having said that, the PS Classic is more powerful than a Pi, costs less, and takes less work to turn into a decent game system. "Less work" doesn't mean "no work," but I'm willing to put in the effort to make this live up to its full potential.

ArugulaZ, I think that you and I are the CAG champions of this device. I was satisfied with paying $29.99 for it once I figured it out. In any case, I spent hours trying out PSone games last night. I think that Chocobo's Dungeon 2 and Monster Rancher Battle Card Game Episode II were my favorites. And playing WWF Smackdown took me back to the days when The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin didn't annoy me.
Heads up, Retroarch appears to run No Mercy just fine on the PS Classic, remapping a DS4 is a little annoying though.

Do you have link that you used? I modded Classics and Retrocade but considering paying for Classic mods.

Depends on what you already have and what your time is worth. You'll need to get the ROMs you want to play yourself. If you already have all of them, you can just hack it yourself in a few mins. For me, it was worth it to pay $50 for someone else to do the work. The 128GB USB stick they gave me was a quality $20 one so I paid $30 to not spend all of my time downloading everything. That was worth it to me.

Once hacked, the PS Classic can run Dreamcast games. They don't always run well, but at the price point you wouldn't expect them to run at all.
Ok that got my attention. I looked into the DC side and for some games it’s playable. I have two nes classics, an snes classic, a retropi setup, but I’m curious enough that I just went ahead and grabbed two of these which qualified for free shipping (no bb nearby or target for that matter). Should be fun to play around with this and that is part of what I enjoy in the hobby.

bought mine for $20. got it, opened it up and looked at it...said cool and put it back in the box for the collection 

Between multiple tutorial videos saying something like "extract to its own folder" while showing the files listed in one titled with the latest version of the program I almost ended up ordering a new thumbdrive until one last video showed the proper setup.
By any chance would you have the link to that specific tutorial? I had grabbed one to be a cheap mod project and would find the info useful. Thanks for the heads up regarding this.

bought mine for $20. got it, opened it up and looked at it...said cool and put it back in the box for the collection
I do that with 90% of the video game related items that I purchase.

In other news, the PlayStation Classic is now sold out at every Target within 100 miles of me. Coincidence? Or did I just buy them all? :shock:

Couldn't pass this up yesterday for $20, as my local Best Buy had this; the last one.

Worth it for the controllers alone, TBH - this mini-console w/ 20 games before hacking is gravy on top. To be able to mod this, when I get around to it, will be just even more gravy on top.

Couldn't pass this up yesterday for $20, as my local Best Buy had this; the last one.

Worth it for the controllers alone, TBH - this mini-console w/ 20 games before hacking is gravy on top. To be able to mod this, when I get around to it, will be just even more gravy on top.
If MysterD bought one of these, it's officially OK for me to own one now. I can hold my head up high again.

If MysterD bought one of these, it's officially OK for me to own one now. I can hold my head up high again.
Ironically enough, this (PlayStation Classic) is my first console since my last console (which was the PlayStation original).

It's been around 20 years, since I've had a "new" console.

Feels like I've gone full circle here...or something.

Ironically enough, this (PlayStation Classic) is my first console since my last console (which was the PlayStation original).

It's been around 20 years, since I've had a "new" console.

Feels like I've gone full circle here...or something.
old geezer in da house! represent the OG. Keep on keepin on.

old geezer in da house! represent the OG. Keep on keepin on.
My first console was actually the Atari 7800.

Then 8-but Nintendo.

Then Sega Genesis.

PS1 was the last I've owned, until the PS Classic.

I've been doing PC gaming since 1995. Ain't stopped ever doing the PC gaming thing.

My first console was actually the Atari 7800.

Then 8-but Nintendo.

Then Sega Genesis.

PS1 was the last I've owned, until the PS Classic.

I've been doing PC gaming since 1995. Ain't stopped ever doing the PC gaming thing.
I know that's just an error (and it would still need an extra "t"), but this made me laugh :)

Ordered Saturday night after Tyrok said his store sold out after having a mountain of thiem. $20 is pretty cool. I may or may not mod but nostalgia alone is worth $20.

bread's done
Back