PlayStation Classic DEALS THREAD (Currently $20 @ GameStop)

Not sure how valuable these will be down the road but it's worth noting that every Best Buy and Target near Chicago is sold out now

sXs5OVO.png

Not sure how valuable these will be down the road but it's worth noting that every Best Buy and Target near Chicago is sold out now

sXs5OVO.png
I had the same message when I ordered my pair of them (I'm in the South). Getting store pickup wouldn't have worked for me anyways since the nearest store is a near two hour round trip.

Yeah, I just grabbed another one, as I doubt these will last the week, $20 was the magic number for most it seems. Before the $20 price drop, I would see these things every place, and now, they are completely gone from local retailers in my area. Due to the massive flop this was, and how much more practical it has become recently to own, I'm sure this will only go up in demand and price over time.

The hardware itself was never the issue I suppose, but more so how Sony decided to use it(or didn't), which led to this $20 or bust pricing. I'm always more interested in DIY type emulation machines, but for the price, and what's offered here, it's well worth the funds and then some. Just to buy a cool retro style shell for retroPi is about $30-40 for a decent one, so for that alone, this is a must have for $20.

Thing is, it's more powerful than a Raspberry Pi 3. It should have been able to handle PSOne games easily right out of the box; why it can't is puzzling, and a huge fumble for Sony.

I've been having fun with mine. It hasn't been a plug and play experience, but I don't mind tinkering with these mini systems to make them entertaining. You should have seen what I had to do to that stupid AtGames Genesis HD to make THAT worth using.

On the stock/rarity side, even though when I ordered I got the same 250 mile no store pickup message, mine shipped from Nashville which is well under the 250 miles. Looking up distribution centers it doesn't appear there is one in Nashville. So maybe it was just there weren't any stores offering free pickup but they still had plenty of stock. Whatever the case, mine are actually already in town and set to be delivered today. Once it shows up I'll look up the address it shipped from to see if it was a store or distribution center. IF these things end up being pretty fun to mess with and my kids are interested, I might buy another pair of them (which is the only reason I care if they are close to selling out at this $20 price point).

sXs5OVO.png
When yours ships, note the location shipped from. It would be interesting to see if it came from a distribution center, a store, and of course if it was within 250 miles of where you are.

EDIT: Well guess it doesn't matter, just noticed it's sold out. Also no in store pickup available. Best chance now for extras is them just being in the store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up one while picking up my amiibo. Went from pre ordering this last year to this. SMH. Now I need to get onto Mad Little Pixel and read up on mod.

For me it does still show no stores for pickup in 250 miles, but it does say "on display at" next to the location of one of the closer stores to me.  So, pickup must just be disabled for this.   Mine did show up.  I guess I didn't have the tracking expanded enough because it shows it shipped from Clarksville, TN and just passed through Nashville.  But the package has a Kentucky address that matches a distribution center.  So, I guess they print the distribution center on the package labels, though mine appear to have shipped from a regular store.   Odd, but whatever.  Just glad I got my two.  Now to mess around with one of them long enough to determine if it's worth snagging an extra couple or if I'm fine with the two I have.

I joined when I got the Retrocade. I have multiple sd cards with each system and arcade. I also have both retro Nintendo systems. When does it become overkill? Considering buying off eBay to avoid having to set this thing up.

Join his fb group and or discord ;D

I joined when I got the Retrocade. I have multiple sd cards with each system and arcade. I also have both retro Nintendo systems. When does it become overkill? Considering buying of eBay to avoid having to set this thing up.
does things for me better than the nintendo's tomato tomatoe.

way easier to setup then to use ebay itself.

Thing is, it's more powerful than a Raspberry Pi 3. It should have been able to handle PSOne games easily right out of the box; why it can't is puzzling, and a huge fumble for Sony.

I've been having fun with mine. It hasn't been a plug and play experience, but I don't mind tinkering with these mini systems to make them entertaining. You should have seen what I had to do to that stupid AtGames Genesis HD to make THAT worth using.
I've been enjoying mine too.

It's okay out-the-box, but it doesn't always perform well.

I really noticed performance issues on Tekken 3 out-the-box, for example. But if you do go ahead and DIY and tinker around - yeah, it's great. Performance issues can be resolved with some tinkering. The tinkering makes the whole experience worthwhile.

It's nice that it has some games from the PSX days that...for some odd reason, I never actually owned - for example, MGS1 and RE: Director's. Two games I'm wondering, "How the hell did I not own these already?"

TBH, for the USB controllers alone, it's worth the $20. Anything else, is just more toppings on the sundae.

It's nice that it has some games from the PSX days that...for some odd reason, I never actually owned - for example, MGS1 and RE: Director's. Two games I'm wondering, "How the hell did I not own these already?"
What, you didn't have MGS1? Blasphemy! LOL

Yeah, I played the demo back in the day off the PlayStation Demo disc of the time, and knew it was a day one purchase after that. I haven't played it in years, so not sure how well it's aged, but at the time, it was my game of the year. I remember playing this and Ocarina of Time within a short span, and while I thought both where masterpieces, I gave the nod to MGS1 for top honors. OoT while amazing, was still a game I had played before, it was just now in 3D, but MGS1 was just a whole new experience, especially since I had never played the NES game(not like the two can be compared anyways).

I've been enjoying mine too.

It's okay out-the-box, but it doesn't always perform well.

I really noticed performance issues on Tekken 3 out-the-box, for example. But if you do go ahead and DIY and tinker around - yeah, it's great. Performance issues can be resolved with some tinkering. The tinkering makes the whole experience worthwhile.

TBH, for the USB controllers alone, it's worth the $20. Anything else, is just more toppings on the sundae.
All those games are even better when they're not running at 50 hz. But as I go back to the old PS1 games in my collection, I'm finding that the 2D games have aged much better than the 3D games at this point.

Yeah, tell me about.

I really wish MGS HD Collection would come to the PC.
Well, anything is possible at this point, as Konami is all over the map in regards to just about EVERYTHING! LOL

Sadly, this title was the zenith of what Kojima had to offer(IMO), and I still hold out hope for a Snatcher reboot of some kind, but after he left Konami that seems less likely as time goes by.

Well, anything is possible at this point, as Konami is all over the map in regards to just about EVERYTHING! LOL

Sadly, this title was the zenith of what Kojima had to offer(IMO), and I still hold out hope for a Snatcher reboot of some kind, but after he left Konami that seems less likely as time goes by.
I've never understood Konami's logic. They own the entire Hudson catalog, yet they only release a Bomberman game every few years. And the Bomberman games usually suck. If it wasn't for Castlevania and Metal Gear, the company probably would have gone out of business or been merged with another company at this point. Not hoping this would happen, but they have a wealth of intellectual properties that are just going to waste.

Chris: Have you considered Policenauts? It's supposed to be thematically similar, if not an outright sequel. There are English translations, too.

All those games are even better when they're not running at 50 hz. But as I go back to the old PS1 games in my collection, I'm finding that the 2D games have aged much better than the 3D games at this point.
Oh, yes; runs much better when not at 50hz. Dunno what was up w/ Sony's thinking here....well, they probably weren't (thinking much), as this feels like a total rush job. To follow Nintendo Classic's wave. Thank God for the modding scene, saving the day on that one.

Yeah, the graphics and controls on some of these games - yeah, feel very different...and archaic. Of course, back then - on lower-res TV's, not as big-sized TV's, and whatnot - things looked great during the time period.

On the controls feeling different, let's take Syphon Filter and RE: Director's. Part of this is probably the lack of Dual Shock's analog sticks here on the Classic. Granted, I never owned Syphon or RE: Director's on the old PSX, so I dunno how those play w/ the analog sticks. Things like whole turning/rotating your character & tank controls feel very old school here. Locking on (and doing it quick) feel extremely important w/ these pads here, especially in shooters like Syphon too, as it's weird with no real way to aim here. Analog sticks were never that great for aiming, especially when compared to the mouse, IMHO - but it feels even worse w/out them here on the Classic.

For me, a lot of PC shooters w/ KB/mouse (think Quake, DN3D, Blood, etc) back in the day all felt like they were light years ahead control-wise just b/c of the precision of the mouse for actual aiming. Sure, it helps to have plenty of keys on the keyboard and whatnot for commands and whatnot - but the mouse for aiming is essential to me.

Well, yeah - they've even been re-releasing old classics onto the PC in Collections. Would love to see them keep this trend going.

I remember Snatcher was on Sega CD. Never had a Sega CD. But, I wouldn't mind Konami bringing it over to Steam; that'd be pretty cool. Especially as more types of adventure games seem to be popping up again; especially with Indies; and since Quantic Dream and TellTale (RIP) with their successes.

Since I'm on Konami here and adventure games, would be cool to see Shadow of Destiny Re-Release/Remaster on Steam and consoles.

Chris: Have you considered Policenauts? It's supposed to be thematically similar, if not an outright sequel. There are English translations, too.
Yep, I've had it for years, and have never gotten past the first part, but not because I didn't like it, just due to time I suppose. I actually put it on my Vita about a month ago, so I should probably start it again as most games are new again on my slim as the screen is way better than the PSP. While Policenauts has way higher production values, most reviews still seemed to favor Snatcher, but all seemed to like it overall as a good spiritual successor.

Can anyone who still owns a collection of physical PS1 games like I do please send me a PM?  Thanks.

Edit: Never mind.  I figured it out.  

Dang, so it looks like these are finally selling out. I just gotta wonder if and how much Sony lost on these... the fact that they sold them for $20 though makes me think they still made money on these. 

Dang, so it looks like these are finally selling out. I just gotta wonder if and how much Sony lost on these... the fact that they sold them for $20 though makes me think they still made money on these.
Better $20 than zero. Im sure after dev, manufacture, shipping, distributor cut, and licensing, they lost $.
If they made money or lost it, I don't think either is relevant, as what the question should be is how much did they lose in regards to their reputation? As the only people who bought this at $100 where long time fans, who I don't think will ever come back for another "Classic" offering.

Got one at $20 and still haven’t opened it. I keep looking at the back of the box and thinking how uneven the game selection is. Amazed Tomb Raider never made it. The game that got GOTY honors over Mario 64 and became a icon of the era, huge exclusion. I get that the licensing for this thing would have been a nightmare but it definitely doesn’t represent the PlayStation I remember.

On the PlayStation Classic Reddit, it was suggested that Sony will only lose money if too many of the PS Classics were returned to Sony. It appears that the retailers were stuck with them, so the retailers are the ones who are losing money on the discounts.

That said, there probably won't be a PS2 Classic since this thing bombed so hard. On the upside, Sony doesn't care how most of the people who own the Classic are using it for things other than its intended purpose. They could give less than a crap.

Got one at $20 and still haven’t opened it. I keep looking at the back of the box and thinking how uneven the game selection is.

Amazed Tomb Raider never made it. The game that got GOTY honors over Mario 64 and became a icon of the era, huge exclusion.

I get that the licensing for this thing would have been a nightmare but it definitely doesn’t represent the PlayStation I remember.
Well, Square does have FF7 on here and that definitely is an iconic PSX title - so it is odd TR is not there, since Square bought Eidos out years back.

I don't have TR on PSX, but I do have it on Steam...and most of the collection there, except Shadow of the TR.

If you still have TR on PSX on disc from retail, you could always tinker and get it onto the PSC.

EDIT:

That said, there probably won't be a PS2 Classic since this thing bombed so hard. On the upside, Sony doesn't care how most of the people who own the Classic are using it for things other than its intended purpose. They could give less than a crap.
I would love to see a PS2 Classic, since I never had a PS2.

I would love to see what they'd toss in for a collection on there, especially if it's loaded w/ PS2 exclusives and/or any console titles that never-ever hit the PC (i.e God of war games, Viewtiful Joe, MGS titles, SotC, TimeSplitters 2, etc etc.)

I would love to see a PS2 Classic, since I never had a PS2.

I would love to see what they'd toss in for a collection on there, especially if it's loaded w/ PS2 exclusives and/or any console titles that never-ever hit the PC (i.e God of war games, Viewtiful Joe, MGS titles, SotC, TimeSplitters 2, etc etc.)
I'm hoping that we will see an emulation box other than the Shield TV in our lifetimes that can handle games from the GameCube, PS2, and Xbox era. But as it stands right now, not all of the games in the GameCube's library will play well on the Shield TV. And, hopefully, technology will catch up so that this task can be achieved at a reasonable price.

I'm hoping that we will see an emulation box other than the Shield TV in our lifetimes that can handle games from the GameCube, PS2, and Xbox era. But as it stands right now, not all of the games in the GameCube's library will play well on the Shield TV. And, hopefully, technology will catch up so that this task can be achieved at a reasonable price.
Xbox barely works on a high-end PC still, wouldn't hold out on that one

The famous Emotion Engine that was included with the PS2 /bc PS3 would be too expensive for Sony to produce again, since they stopped producing it a long time ago. I also really wanted a PS2 Classic because the best Need4Speed and Burnout games were on that console (yes I know they are bc on XB1).

220px-CXD9708GB_01.jpg

I hope someone puts out a console that can play PS2/XB-OG discs and up-res them better than those little devices/add-ons can. Companies are doing that for the NES/SNES so I would imagine that once the patents run on the emotion system and custom-ware that we'll start seeing them.

I hope someone puts out a console that can play PS2/XB-OG discs and up-res them better than those little devices/add-ons can. Companies are doing that for the NES/SNES so I would imagine that once the patents run on the emotion system and custom-ware that we'll start seeing them.
Patents-a-go-go, baby!!!

(That was an allusion to your signature.)

I figured I'd post some feedback on the actual setup process

Tried the retroboot standalone option over the past 4 or 5 days as my first play sessions with the PSC.  I have to say, it does a horrible job at PS1 emulation.  The need to pick a core for every single rom is frustrating as it's not clear which is the most compatible.  What I picked didn't run games anywhere near as cleanly as the actual PSC's built in emulator and interface.  Same for SNES and N64.  The experience was a bit choppy even trying different cores to find one that would work well.   It wasn't unplayable but just not very enjoyable.  Controls also are a pain to reconfigure.  I wish they put some thought into retroboot standalone to where the controls at least matched the original consoles layout.  Even with an 8bitdo adapter, it seemed like a mess to reconfigure everything.   To compare, in the time I've spent with the PSC, I had already setup my NES Classic and Retropi and was having fun.   Here it's more work, though I have to say like the NES&NES Classic, I like that the PSC is a bit more bomb proof where as the retropi is straight up linux and it's easy to hose a linux system by not shutting down properly.  If I can get the PSC working the way I expect it should... I'll be pretty happy.

So, more tweaking is needed.  Maybe I should just aim for one of the preconfigured sets and then edit it down to just the games I want?  I really don't want to do that as sorting through thousands of games isn't fun.  Next up I'll try bleemsync and/or autobleem.  Figured someone might like a bit of feedback.

Usually the manufacturer has to give the retailer markdown money or some other kind of make up for the money the retailer would lose on these.
This.

No way all these retailers cleared these out at 80% off without a credit back from Sony. They probably still made $10 on each one but that's a huge failure considering they likely expected to make $100+ million based on the sales of the NES/SNES.

bread's done
Back